post #9511 of 9539 Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

Well, 13.3 Movies! is no longer in stretch-o-vision. Hope it stays like this and thanks to whoever fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

About time. I wonder what took so long!

That is good news! KCET and KOCE have already done the same thing on their SD subchannels some time ago. Let's hope this becomes a trend everywhere.
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9539 Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitcomics View Post

Hey, I'm hoping to catch some Doctor Who episodes this summer too.  I'm in Santa Monica and, using an indoor Radio Shack antenna, I am getting super-clear pictures of every LA digital signal EXCEPT 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4.  I don't even get partial reception, so is anyone else in Santa Monica getting a picture when they tune into 8.1?  Is there an antenna that will even work to get it in the Ocean Park area of Santa Monica?  Anyone?

KFLA 8.x is a low power station, whose antenna is poorly situated (too low above ground) on Mt. Wilson. I am unable to get it much of the time myself, even with a good rooftop antenna. I am located in the upper Granada Hills/ Porter Ranch area in the NW SF Valley.
post #9513 of 9539 Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

KFLA 8.x is a low power station, whose antenna is poorly situated (too low above ground) on Mt. Wilson. I am unable to get it much of the time myself, even with a good rooftop antenna. I am located in the upper Granada Hills/ Porter Ranch area in the NW SF Valley.
Indoor antenna's sometimes won't even pick this up. I'm on the second floor in West Van Nuys area and gave up on this channel long ago.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #9514 of 9539 Old 06-05-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, 13.3 Movies! is no longer in stretch-o-vision. Hope it stays like this and thanks to whoever fixed it.
Thanks, I'll have to go check it out.
phildaant likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #9515 of 9539 Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

About time. I wonder what took so long!

That is good news! KCET and KOCE have already done the same thing on their SD subchannels some time ago. Let's hope this becomes a trend everywhere.
Awesome. Who is left? I rarely watch these SD channels.
post #9516 of 9539 Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
KILA-LD 8's antenna is at the 350' level of the 1,000 ft. old CBS tower. It has a CP to go to the 715' level. At this level the station's antenna will be higher than any other station at Wilson and this includes the full service stations.
post #9517 of 9539 Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome. Who is left? I rarely watch these SD channels.

Right off hand, I can't think of any others, except, of course, 4.2. Anyway, now there are enough of these subchannels that I find myself watching very little of the other SD subchannels, since this looks so much better.
post #9518 of 9539 Old 06-06-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Indoor antenna's sometimes won't even pick this up. I'm on the second floor in West Van Nuys area and gave up on this channel long ago.

I am not a bit surprised. I can't even get it much of the time with a specialized hi-VHF Yagi on the roof pointed directly at Mt. Wilson. I haven't picked it up at all for a few days now; meanwhile KGTV 10 in San Diego has often been coming in just great.
post #9519 of 9539 Old 06-06-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I'm hoping to catch some Doctor Who episodes this summer too.  I'm in Santa Monica and, using an indoor Radio Shack antenna, I am getting super-clear pictures of every LA digital signal EXCEPT 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4.  I don't even get partial reception, so is anyone else in Santa Monica getting a picture when they tune into 8.1?  Is there an antenna that will even work to get it in the Ocean Park area of Santa Monica?  Anyone?
Hulu Plus has been getting rights to lots of older BBC shows, including some that never ran on BBC America, there is a lot of older Doctor Who to check out as well as newer shows. Between this and Netflix there is lot of BBC programming available to you.

post #9520 of 9539 Old 06-06-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right off hand, I can't think of any others, except, of course, 4.2. Anyway, now there are enough of these subchannels that I find myself watching very little of the other SD subchannels, since this looks so much better.
True there are some stations that are running 11 count em, 11 sd subchannels. I'm almost afraid to look at the picture quality of those.

post #9521 of 9539 Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I know but I just love the idea of flipping on the tv and finding classic doctor who on an over the air channel. Total 80s flashback.
post #9522 of 9539 Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I know but I just love the idea of flipping on the tv and finding classic doctor who on an over the air channel. Total 80s flashback.

For me the total 80s experience would be catching classic BBC on a PBS station. Commercial free as the queen intended. cool.gif
post #9523 of 9539 Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdawg View Post

Quote:

For me the total 80s experience would be catching classic BBC on a PBS station. Commercial free as the queen intended. cool.gif
Heh. And bring back TheTube for 24/7 music videos showing 80s music videos like old MTV used to! wink.gif
post #9524 of 9539 Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
KABC to drop Live Well with all its other affiliates following suit:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-abc-to-end-digital-live-well-network-20140609-story.html

What should ABC do now that Live Well is, um, dead? Personally I think another retro channel with classic Disney (like, from last century) and old movies-of-the-week should be a good idea! (In 16x9 SD, of course.) As a matter of fact, reading a WABC story on Donald Duck's 80th birthday this morning, somebody used that opportunity to suggest quite a good idea for a replacement! (Since commenting is free, you can join in if you believe that person. And what's funny about that story is that WABC, a Disney-owned station whose relationship is briefly mentioned at the close of that story, is using pirated YouTube clips to showcase Donald's best! tongue.gif And yet, Disney is taking NO action at removing these videos! So yeah, a classic Disney network REALLY IS in good order!

dtv_junkie87
post #9525 of 9539 Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 AM

Very interesting.   I wonder if TV ratings for METV, Antenna and Cozi are much better than Live Well's.  Would that inspire Disney to make their own Classic TV station featuring old Disney movies and TV shows?  Or maybe Retro TV could move their signal here...  I'd certainly watch those options more than I ever watched Livewell.

post #9526 of 9539 Old 06-11-2014, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very interesting.   I wonder if TV ratings for METV, Antenna and Cozi are much better than Live Well's.  Would that inspire Disney to make their own Classic TV station featuring old Disney movies and TV shows?  Or maybe Retro TV could move their signal here...  I'd certainly watch those options more than I ever watched Livewell.
I don't think there enough advertising dollars, and who knows what the cable companies want to carry these channels. Live Well won't be the last channel to fall. The bulk of the country doesn't watch OTA. Disney would like to keep it's classic stuff for it's cable nets and has been sending more of it to Netflix

post #9527 of 9539 Old 06-11-2014, 02:51 AM

I've only been tuning into these channels for about six months but in that time the quality of the advertisers has gone up. That doesn't happen unless the ratings are getting respectable.
post #9528 of 9539 Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitcomics View Post
Very interesting. I wonder if TV ratings for METV, Antenna and Cozi are much better than Live Well's. Would that inspire Disney to make their own Classic TV station featuring old Disney movies and TV shows? Or maybe Retro TV could move their signal here... I'd certainly watch those options more than I ever watched Livewell.
With all the old-TV sub-channels the only way they can stand out is to run it in HD (720p) which should be possible as ABC has run Peanuts movies in 4x3 HD. With more and more old TV shows returning in HD (Hogan's Heroes, Dick Van Dyke show) they should have enough shows to fill a schedule.
post #9529 of 9539 Old 06-14-2014, 05:56 PM

Can't get ABC or KCAL

I just recently cut the cord with Cox cable and picked up a Monoprice 7967 Antenna (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2) and hooked it up to my Tivo Premier. I have it mounted inside, pointing north (toward the towers).

It seems to pick up all the major networks just fine except ABC and KCAL even though FCC, TVfool and antenna web say this station tower is 40 miles away (I'm in Irvine), just like NBC, CBS etc (they must be all on the same mountain). I have tried the antenna amped and without the amp, same result. Any ideas? I'm about to return this antenna and go for a Amazon Basics Extreme or Mohu Leaf 50 antenna and see how that fairs but rather not I can't mount it outside or on the roof, I wouldn't want to anyways.

Thanks!
post #9530 of 9539 Old 06-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any of these small antennas are going to be at a considerable disadvantage for the VHF channels (7, 9, 11, 13) and 7 could be expected to be the worst, followed by 9.

Your best bet for these channels would be a "rabbit ears" that can be extended to 24 to 30 in. There are some VHF-UHF antennas that combine a "rabbit-ears" with a UHF antenna for $10 or so and might actually be better overall than those you mentioned. The only way you can be sure is to try it, though.
post #9531 of 9539 Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post
I just recently cut the cord with Cox cable and picked up a Monoprice 7967 Antenna (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2) and hooked it up to my Tivo Premier. I have it mounted inside, pointing north (toward the towers).

It seems to pick up all the major networks just fine except ABC and KCAL even though FCC, TVfool and antenna web say this station tower is 40 miles away (I'm in Irvine), just like NBC, CBS etc (they must be all on the same mountain). I have tried the antenna amped and without the amp, same result. Any ideas? I'm about to return this antenna and go for a Amazon Basics Extreme or Mohu Leaf 50 antenna and see how that fairs but rather not I can't mount it outside or on the roof, I wouldn't want to anyways.

Thanks!
I have no problems receiving KABC and KCAL as well as all the other high power stations with a HDTVa at my location Irvine Blvd/Yale in Irvine. I had to play with the rabbit ears until I got reliable reception. Extend each ear to 22 inches and tilt them both up until the tip-to-tip distance is 38 inches.
post #9532 of 9539 Old 06-15-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Any of these small antennas are going to be at a considerable disadvantage for the VHF channels (7, 9, 11, 13) and 7 could be expected to be the worst, followed by 9.

Your best bet for these channels would be a "rabbit ears" that can be extended to 24 to 30 in. There are some VHF-UHF antennas that combine a "rabbit-ears" with a UHF antenna for $10 or so and might actually be better overall than those you mentioned. The only way you can be sure is to try it, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post

Thanks!
I have no problems receiving KABC and KCAL as well as all the other high power stations with a HDTVa at my location Irvine Blvd/Yale in Irvine. I had to play with the rabbit ears until I got reliable reception. Extend each ear to 22 inches and tilt them both up until the tip-to-tip distance is 38 inches.
Seems like I should try some rabbit ears then. Any recommendations? I'll look into it and see what I can get in the next couple of days and report back. Thanks.

Last edited by iRoNeTiK; 06-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.
post #9533 of 9539 Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post
Do you mean the HDTVa or the HDTVi? The HDTVa does not seem to have the "rabbit ears". The HDTVi (no longer made but available used) does have them.
post #9534 of 9539 Old 06-15-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Most photos of the HDTVa show it with the Rabbit Ears retracted and folded back against the base....here are photos showing HDTVa Rabbit Ears minimally extended....however, for Hi-VHF Band reception optimum length = 14.5-in each...at 45-degree angles:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qN9nRGW...erk-HDTVa.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictu...ture_id=468901

Philips SDV2790/27 is a similar Amplified Antenna with VHF Rabbit-Ears and a UHF LPDA enclosed in a plastic case to ward off inquisitive little fingers:
http://download.p4c.philips.com/file..._pss_aenus.pdf

Last edited by holl_ands; 06-15-2014 at 12:35 PM.
post #9535 of 9539 Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 AM

Liked: 14
anyone having issues getting kcal-9 at the moment?

every other channel (2,4,5,7,11,13) work for me
post #9536 of 9539 Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 PM

Excuse me if I missed it but I'm getting two new 18-x channels from RF25

18-10 (LACVIET) and 18-11 (DIYA TV)

I'm sure they used to be 25-4 & 25-3 as they're currently 20-4 & 20-3

So how did channel 18 get two more subs on RF25's dime?
post #9537 of 9539 Old 06-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by :
So how did channel 18 get two more subs on RF25's dime? .
Both stations are run by the same company. It's the same dime.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #9538 of 9539 Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Do you mean the HDTVa or the HDTVi? The HDTVa does not seem to have the "rabbit ears". The HDTVi (no longer made but available used) does have them.
The HDTVa and HDTVi are the same antenna, except the HDTVa has an inline amp. Both have rabbit ears and an arrow shaped UHF element. They are both sold at Fry's Electronics stores. That would probably be a good choice, or you can also try an amplified rabbit ears and loop antenna, also sold at Fry's and Radioshack.
post #9539 of 9539 Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

KFLA made some changes.
8.1 has FilmOn.
8.3 has Retro TV now.
8.4 has BizTV.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version