AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz54 View Post
Anyone having problems with PBS SoCal Channel 50 on a Dish Receiver? All of a sudden the OTA signal has dropped to 50 instead of the normal 98. All of my other OTA channel are still showing 98 and better. I still get strong signals from Channel 50 on my TV receiver so I have to think its something weird in the signal. Thought the ota module in my dish vip622 might be going bad....but only affect one channel?

Any ideas?
I can't help you on Dish part, but my OTA appears to be fine for KOCE50. Isn't there another forum thread for Dish L.A. people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 9557 Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah I've been having problems with 50's OTA

Yes I live in San Gabriel ca and I have been noticing a lot of drop out on all 50's channels in the evening last three weeks the antiques road show was almost unwatchable and it happens at random during the day but it been worst in the evenings. Which is weird because my RCA ANT751 I got at Walmart over 5 years ago mounted outside pointed directly at Mt Wilson (direct line of site) works great on every other channel except 50's (50.01, 50.02 etc). Its a recent issue I wonder since their ran my LAUSD reducing power due to fund issues or transmitter maintance? Don't know but I too are having issues with the 50's here in 91775 zip code.
post #9543 of 9557 Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post
I just recently cut the cord with Cox cable and picked up a Monoprice 7967 Antenna (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2) and hooked it up to my Tivo Premier. I have it mounted inside, pointing north (toward the towers).

It seems to pick up all the major networks just fine except ABC and KCAL even though FCC, TVfool and antenna web say this station tower is 40 miles away (I'm in Irvine), just like NBC, CBS etc (they must be all on the same mountain). I have tried the antenna amped and without the amp, same result. Any ideas? I'm about to return this antenna and go for a Amazon Basics Extreme or Mohu Leaf 50 antenna and see how that fairs but rather not I can't mount it outside or on the roof, I wouldn't want to anyways.

Thanks!
Well have had great results with RCA ANT751 I got mine at Fry's in industry ca. and Walmart sells it online too . Got the RCA mounted on 20 ft pole pointed with direct line of site of Mt.Wilson and it works great . I have zero problems bring in abc 7 , cbs 2, kcal 9, fox 11 or NBC 4. If you can try to get your antenna on the roof (like chimney or vent pipe mount) on a pole its amazing how much better the reception is. This Rca ANT751 is nice a compact but pulls in the signal very well I have had excellant luck with mine. BTW I tried a antenna amp with the RCA ANT751 I get better results without the amp.
phildaant likes this.
post #9544 of 9557 Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
Well have had great results with RCA ANT751 I got mine at Fry's in industry ca. and Walmart sells it online too . Got the RCA mounted on 20 ft pole pointed with direct line of site of Mt.Wilson and it works great . I have zero problems bring in abc 7 , cbs 2, kcal 9, fox 11 or NBC 4. If you can try to get your antenna on the roof (like chimney or vent pipe mount) on a pole its amazing how much better the reception is. This Rca ANT751 is nice a compact but pulls in the signal very well I have had excellant luck with mine. BTW I tried a antenna amp with the RCA ANT751 I get better results without the amp.
Bob1xxx: I also have a RCA ANT751. I use it indoor though.
post #9545 of 9557 Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitcomics View Post
Very interesting.   I wonder if TV ratings for METV, Antenna and Cozi are much better than Live Well's.  Would that inspire Disney to make their own Classic TV station featuring old Disney movies and TV shows?  Or maybe Retro TV could move their signal here...  I'd certainly watch those options more than I ever watched Livewell.
The 3 retro channels have much lower programming cost than Live Well and their ratings probably are better. Live Well has a lot of original content which is costly to produce.
post #9546 of 9557 Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
I can't help you on Dish part, but my OTA appears to be fine for KOCE50. Isn't there another forum thread for Dish L.A. people?
Yes, I too have had no problems at all with KOCE 50. But the description of the problem sounds all too familiar. For example, KCET 28, which is not line-of-sight here, has sometimes been dropping out suddenly for very short periods during prime time hours and then coming back. Clearly, this is a propagation issue. KCET, like KLCS and KTBN is poorly situated on Mt. Wilson, and cannot get out well to the west.

Judging from the symptoms, I suspect that Dish Network's receiver (wherever it is) may not have unobstructed visibility to the KOCE transmitter. But you are right, issues with Dish Network (or DirectTV or TWC for that matter) really aren't relevant in this thread.
phildaant likes this.
post #9547 of 9557 Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
Yes, I too have had no problems at all with KOCE 50. But the description of the problem sounds all too familiar. For example, KCET 28, which is not line-of-sight here, has sometimes been dropping out suddenly for very short periods during prime time hours and then coming back. Clearly, this is a propagation issue. KCET, like KLCS and KTBN is poorly situated on Mt. Wilson, and cannot get out well to the west.

Judging from the symptoms, I suspect that Dish Network's receiver (wherever it is) may not have unobstructed visibility to the KOCE transmitter. But you are right, issues with Dish Network (or DirectTV or TWC for that matter) really aren't relevant in this thread.

50.1 works fine here OTA.
phildaant likes this.

99.5% Dark Matter
post #9548 of 9557 Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Wink Any of the flats will be inferior to rca ant751

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Bob1xxx: I also have a RCA ANT751. I use it indoor though.

Ok well if your using the RCA ant751 now any of the flat antennas are a complete waste of time and cash. I bought and returned three for my dads room and they were all crap, loads of promise poor to useless results. I finally just got splitter for my outdoor Rca ant 751 and ran a line to his to his room. Honestly I would try your Rca ant751 without the amp if you haven't. I found all the amp did was generate or amplify signal noise and causing more drop out then help. At least that been my experience.
phildaant likes this.
post #9549 of 9557 Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Channel 56 KDOC was coming in weird the other night, doing that weird irregular multi-path cycle that I'm used to seeing with Channel 4. I haven't seen KDOC do that before at one in the morning. I know it wasn't police helicopters which can wreck havoc on KCET's signal. Mother Nature messing with propogation again.....

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #9550 of 9557 Old 07-15-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post
KFLA made some changes.
8.1 has FilmOn.
8.3 has Retro TV now.
8.4 has BizTV.
KFLA keeps doing this, and it takes forever for my Tivo to recognize the change in the channel lineups (which means I can't rely on my automatic season passes for RetroTV for the time being).

I see RetroTV has added "Mystery Science Theater 3000" to its lineup (which I didn't know about), along with Doctor Who coming this August.

So what's missing? Looks like they dropped TuffTV -- the channel with all the MMA bouts. Also looks like TuffTV is resorting to "crowd funding" to raise $50,000... Hmmm...
post #9551 of 9557 Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Perhaps a misunderstanding: He is referring a true OTA signal that is received by an OTA antenna that is cabled into the the Dish box or the Dish USB OTA tuners for the Hoppers. The OTA is then is then selected by either direct tuning or selection of the OTA that is automatically integrated with the EPG along with sat LIL's.

So, the relevance is that he is NOT referring to the local into local (the locals channels fed directly from the TV station; then sent via fiber to Spokan WA for uplink to the satellite LA DMA spotbeam; then downlinked from the sat at home), he is referring to a true OTA from his terrestrial antenna into the Dish box for viewing.

Yes, while I have had problems in the past with KOCE 50 with dropouts etc., I've not had any for weeks. However, KOCE is without a doubt the most poor quality HD pq OTA by far with frequent breakup on fast movement along with general blurring and softness of PQ campared with other LA OTA's (except for, perhaps, KVCR 24). For KOCE being the new flagship, its pq is abomniable. Either their engineer is incompetent or KOCE has still not spent any money upgrading their historically below mediocre pq from back in the SD days. However, 50 KOCE is always my bane of all OTA's for its signal is lost on occasion while even KLCS is still accessible. It seems problems are just natural to KOCE 50.

The problems I've experienced with KOCE 50 are the same with TiVO OTA , Dish OTA, or direct HDTV viewing, although sometimes the direct HDTV may not drop the signal as often.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Harry Kerry; 07-16-2014 at 07:11 PM.
post #9552 of 9557 Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
Yes I live in San Gabriel ca and I have been noticing a lot of drop out on all 50's channels in the evening last three weeks the antiques road show was almost unwatchable and it happens at random during the day but it been worst in the evenings. Which is weird because my RCA ANT751 I got at Walmart over 5 years ago mounted outside pointed directly at Mt Wilson (direct line of site) works great on every other channel except 50's (50.01, 50.02 etc). Its a recent issue I wonder since their ran my LAUSD reducing power due to fund issues or transmitter maintance? Don't know but I too are having issues with the 50's here in 91775 zip code.
I think you are confusing KOCE 50 with KLCS 58:

LAUSD owns KLCS 58, not KOCE 50.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Harry Kerry; 07-16-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #9553 of 9557 Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If it is KLCS 58, don't they still have weak signal strengths?
post #9554 of 9557 Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kerry View Post
I think you are confusing KOCE 50 with KLCS 58:

LAUSD owns KLCS 58, not KOCE 50.

Yes my mistake I am getting drop out on the koce 50
post #9555 of 9557 Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_101 View Post
KFLA keeps doing this, and it takes forever for my Tivo to recognize the change in the channel lineups (which means I can't rely on my automatic season passes for RetroTV for the time being).

I see RetroTV has added "Mystery Science Theater 3000" to its lineup (which I didn't know about), along with Doctor Who coming this August.

So what's missing? Looks like they dropped TuffTV -- the channel with all the MMA bouts. Also looks like TuffTV is resorting to "crowd funding" to raise $50,000... Hmmm...
Honestly I gave up 8.1 thur ??? awhile back for tivo recording About every other week retro tv, tuff tv , the infomercial and i think spanish? change channel slots and KFLA will update the tivo guide weeks later. KFLA cannot get tivo guide info right (especially after day light saving) show eastern stander time guide so its tivo guide 3 hours off what their showing PST in California LoL . I was even e mailing the KFLA tech director Roy Mayhew I think is name was and honestly I think KFLA 8.1 , 8.2 , etc.... are some rich mans toy and tax right off and they couldn't careless about their stations viewers as long as the tax right offs keep rolling in.
post #9556 of 9557 Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kerry View Post
Perhaps a misunderstanding: He is referring a true OTA signal that is received by an OTA antenna that is cabled into the the Dish box or the Dish USB OTA tuners for the Hoppers. The OTA is then is then selected by either direct tuning or selection of the OTA that is automatically integrated with the EPG along with sat LIL's.

So, the relevance is that he is NOT referring to the local into local (the locals channels fed directly from the TV station; then sent via fiber to Spokan WA for uplink to the satellite LA DMA spotbeam; then downlinked from the sat at home), he is referring to a true OTA from his terrestrial antenna into the Dish box for viewing.

Yes, while I have had problems in the past with KOCE 50 with dropouts etc., I've not had any for weeks. However, KOCE is without a doubt the most poor quality HD pq OTA by far with frequent breakup on fast movement along with general blurring and softness of PQ campared with other LA OTA's (except for, perhaps, KVCR 24). For KOCE being the new flagship, its pq is abomniable. Either their engineer is incompetent or KOCE has still not spent any money upgrading their historically below mediocre pq from back in the SD days. However, 50 KOCE is always my bane of all OTA's for its signal is lost on occasion while even KLCS is still accessible. It seems problems are just natural to KOCE 50.

The problems I've experienced with KOCE 50 are the same with TiVO OTA , Dish OTA, or direct HDTV viewing, although sometimes the direct HDTV may not drop the signal as often.

Thanks for the clarification. Since satellite providers pick up local channels and relay them via satellite to their customers, I naturally assumed that he was merely describing the condition of KOCE's signal, as picked up by Dish Network.

You are right about the poor quality of KOCE's signal. It has by far the worst pixellation problem of any station I have seen. This, plus the issue of occasionally leaving the station ID on for very long periods, suggest that their engineering staff is either apathetic, incompetent or just absent altogether.
BondiBluey likes this.
post #9557 of 9557 Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Channel 45

I have been seeing KSKJ on channel 45 for years. It was always a low power station with independent programming. However, it has recently become a repeater for KSCI 18. As such, it is simply carrying all of the KSCI sub channels, all that is, except 18.11 and 18.12. KSKJ may still be running at low power. It is coming in here at about 40% while KSCI is about 75%. Reception of KSKJ is still very solid here, however.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page