AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Viewers should let the stations know about these annoying stretch pictures!
Yep, do we have a list of L.A. stations are doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9572 of 9578 Old 08-21-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Grit and Escape are both provided in 1080i over satellite. What it sounds like is that the source 1080i feeds are showing 4:3 stretched into 16:9, then some of the local stations are letterboxing that stretched video. Fun stuff.

- Trip
Oh well, that explains the window-boxing on both the channels I guess.

The local stations like KFTR are merely down-converting the HD feeds from the satellite to SD then adding them as another sub-channel to their ATSC data steam.

Don't really have a problem with this as many broadcasters do this now to generate 4:3 SD feeds, and I merely zoom in on the window-box picture this creates to fill the screen. But what's with the stretching of the 4:3 SD images on the older movies undoubtedly being done by the providers at Grit and Escape?

I can't remove this.

Last edited by HoTatII; 08-21-2014 at 03:27 PM.
post #9573 of 9578 Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Yep, do we have a list of L.A. stations are doing this?
They're not doing it all the time. Just on the older 4:3 movies and shows like the John Wayne movies on Grit
phildaant likes this.
post #9574 of 9578 Old 08-21-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
They're not doing it all the time. Just on the older 4:3 movies and shows like the John Wayne movies on Grit
Ah OK.
post #9575 of 9578 Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Grit and Escape are both provided in 1080i over satellite. What it sounds like is that the source 1080i feeds are showing 4:3 stretched into 16:9, then some of the local stations are letterboxing that stretched video. Fun stuff.

- Trip
With that being the case why don't the local station present it in SD 16x9?
phildaant likes this.
post #9576 of 9578 Old 08-22-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Now that is a great question that I don't have the answer to. A number of stations present Live Well and Heartland, other HD-provided networks, in letterbox format for whatever reason.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9577 of 9578 Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Interesting;

You mean the Elite can actually zoom in on a 16:9 SD letter-box image and then squish it horizontally back to 4:3 at the same time?

How do you tell the Elite not to squish back to 4:3 if you only want to zoom in a 16:9 LB picture which is what is normally needed?
Yes, it does it all at the same time. Of course, with the “Zoom” setting, 16:9 pictures will indeed appear squeezed. The Elite has a quite a few other settings, however, and one of those may work, but I have never felt the need to just zoom in on anything I was watching, so I never explored this.

Quote:
But that's the problem, Escape and Grit's pictures are really already in 4:3, then in turn within a 16:9 box inside of it (i.e. it's a window-box image). Now if the picture inside that 16:9 box is stretched 4:3 as it is on some of the older movies they show there is no "common" way to un-stretch it.
I am not familiar with Escape or Grit. But I really hate the practice you are describing. You do often see this on many commercials (but who cares about commercials?). Fortunately it is rather rare now on programs, but occasionally one does pop up. Since the picture is shrunken, it has much fewer pixels than the original, so even if you can zoom in on it, it will lack the clarity of the original. I never waste my time watching any of these broadcasts, which are, fortunately, rare.

Quote:
Well, the problem I have here is that as I explained awhile back my stupid TV (and as many others behave unfortunately), defaults to 4:3 when receiving 16:9 SD channels like COZI, Movies! (finally) along with all other 16:9 SD channels. And I have to manually switch the TV to widescreen and back when I'm finished viewing the channel.
When I use the “Full” setting, which is the correct one for HD broadcasts, both of my sets display all 16:9 SD broadcasts, like COZI, Movies! etc., perfectly. That is one big advantage - one setting “to rule them all.”

Quote:
Oh yeah;

Just crop or center-cut unless there is a specific Pan & Scan version they're telecasting.

Sometimes opening the program with the old familiar and nowadays quite sickening message ...

"This Movie has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit your screen ... " [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\HARRIS~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\02\cli p_image001.gif[/IMG]
I hated those condescending messages, too. Even some early DVD’s showed this, as I recall. As I said, they are living in the past.
post #9578 of 9578 Old 08-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
Yes, it does it all at the same time. Of course, with the “Zoom” setting, 16:9 pictures will indeed appear squeezed. The Elite has a quite a few other settings, however, and one of those may work, but I have never felt the need to just zoom in on anything I was watching, so I never explored this. ...
I thought you posted quite some time ago that you routinely like to zoom in the typical 16:9 SD window-box images (that are thankfully dwindling in number) usually encountered on a station's secondary sub-channels?

Quote:
... I am not familiar with Escape or Grit. But I really hate the practice you are describing. You do often see this on many commercials (but who cares about commercials?). Fortunately it is rather rare now on programs, but occasionally one does pop up. Since the picture is shrunken, it has much fewer pixels than the original, so even if you can zoom in on it, it will lack the clarity of the original. I never waste my time watching any of these broadcasts, which are, fortunately, rare.
Yeah ...

Less pixels notwithstanding though, if the broadcaster is going to send me a native 4:3 image inside a 16:9 window-box this way. I'd just prefer they pillar-box it in the 16:9 frame and let me zoom-in on the postage stamp size image.

This will only result in a standard 4:3 full pillar-box picture that is softer due to zooming, but at least its not stretched.

The way they do it now with stretch-o-vision inside the 16:9 letter-box frame, when I zoom in on it, it fills the entire HD screen, but its in stretch-o-vision plus a softer picture due to zooming of course.

Quote:
... When I use the “Full” setting, which is the correct one for HD broadcasts, both of my sets display all 16:9 SD broadcasts, like COZI, Movies! etc., perfectly. That is one big advantage - one setting “to rule them all.”
Yeah that's called the "set by program" format mode by a lot of other TV equipment. It automatically adjust the AR format to whatever the received signal's.

None of my TVs have that option unfortunately ...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page