Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 321 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #9601 of 9616 Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm having trouble with 11 and 13 this Sunday evening in south Orange County. Anyone else seeing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 9616 Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpl View Post
I'm having trouble with 11 and 13 this Sunday evening in south Orange County. Anyone else seeing this?
I was not specifically watching those channels Sunday night, but 11 and 13 have always been stable for me. Are you using an indoor antenna?
post #9603 of 9616 Old 10-06-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
I was not specifically watching those channels Sunday night, but 11 and 13 have always been stable for me. Are you using an indoor antenna?
I have a CM4228 in the attic. Every now and then 11 and 13 have issues, the other VHF signals seem fine. This morning they look ok again.
post #9604 of 9616 Old 10-08-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpl View Post
I have a CM4228 in the attic. Every now and then 11 and 13 have issues, the other VHF signals seem fine. This morning they look ok again.
If the problem persists, and if the reception of 11 and 13 is important to you, you might try adding a specialized high-band VHF antenna like the Winegard YA-1713.
post #9605 of 9616 Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey all,

I came across this site while looking for answers as to why my reception is what it is. I'm located in Echo Park on the side of the ridge outside of Elysian Park about halfway down, so my LOS situation ain't so great. I believe I have the RCA 715 antenna on my roof using the mount used for the DirecTV dish when I told them where to put it when I reduced my service to basically nothing so I could just have HBO.

I've been having problems recently with 2, 7, 11 (sometimes), 13, and the PBS stations in the 50's. I've read here that some people have better luck with indoor rabbit ears, so I was wondering if I wouldn't need to go bigger and better outside since obtaining LOS is a pipe dream. Also, I've been using this site (antennawebDOTorg) as a guide when aiming the antenna.

It's almost like spinning a wheel sometimes as to what channels I'll get and both my girl and I are getting frustrated, but putting the dish back up isn't an option as they are basically raping us with the cost.

I have two TV's in the house and one uses a cheapo Radio Shack HD rabbit ears antenna that seems to pretty good reception when the one on the roof fails us. It's almost like what channels we can't get on one we can get on the other and vice versa. We supplement with two Apple TVs as we can ABC and FOX (with our parent's ID and passwords for their cable), but we'd like to just watch TV without wearing foil hats and doing yoga poses to get the stations to stay up.

Any suggestions for antennas (inside or out), amplifiers, etc. etc.?

Thanks!
post #9606 of 9616 Old 11-17-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard_b26354 View Post
Hey all,

I came across this site while looking for answers as to why my reception is what it is. I'm located in Echo Park on the side of the ridge outside of Elysian Park about halfway down, so my LOS situation ain't so great. I believe I have the RCA 715 antenna on my roof ...
You will want to provide the details from http://www.tvfool.com/ (better than AntennaWeb).
post #9607 of 9616 Old 11-17-2014, 07:16 PM

Thanks! I'll check it out. That other site seemed a bit to much like a used car salesman.
phildaant likes this.
post #9608 of 9616 Old 11-17-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! I'll check it out. That other site seemed a bit to much like a used car salesman.
Yeah, IIRC. It existed before TVfool.
post #9609 of 9616 Old 11-17-2014, 08:03 PM

post #9610 of 9616 Old 11-18-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Your TVFool plot says this is an easy slam dunk, but your describe your LOS as a lost cause. Both cannot be correct although it must be noted that the TVFool simulation can not account for local obstacles such as buildings or trees.

Use the interactive maps feature and the overhead (not the 45° view) satellite view to precisely pinpoint your location, and run a new report at the antenna's estimated height above ground. Post that one up and see if it's different.
post #9611 of 9616 Old 11-18-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Your TVFool plot says this is an easy slam dunk, but your describe your LOS as a lost cause. Both cannot be correct although it must be noted that the TVFool simulation can not account for local obstacles such as buildings or trees.

Use the interactive maps feature and the overhead (not the 45° view) satellite view to precisely pinpoint your location, and run a new report at the antenna's estimated height above ground. Post that one up and see if it's different.
Well as I had mentioned, I'm on the slope of a hill that, while it is a residential neighborhood, does have many trees and homes in the way to the transmitters. They aren't directly blocking the antenna, but that is my line of sight situation.

We are in a single floor house and as it turns out, the antenna is directly below where we sit and the TV is directly across from us at about 8' away. This morning we could watch KCBS (2) for a short time and then it would start cutting out. One of us would stand and walk away and it was fine.

We do have a pretty long run of coax that is not a single strand (about 75-100 ft.), so sometimes I start thinking it's that--but then all of a sudden one day the signal will be solid without any yoga moves on our (or our pets') part. Then I start thinking it's the antenna and I should make it higher or get a larger antenna. But as I said before, with our other TV, KCBS usually comes in good with just rabbit ears. And then the frustration moves in…
phildaant likes this.
post #9612 of 9616 Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well as I had mentioned, I'm on the slope of a hill that, while it is a residential neighborhood, does have many trees and homes in the way to the transmitters. They aren't directly blocking the antenna, but that is my line of sight situation.

We are in a single floor house and as it turns out, the antenna is directly below where we sit and the TV is directly across from us at about 8' away. This morning we could watch KCBS (2) for a short time and then it would start cutting out. One of us would stand and walk away and it was fine.

We do have a pretty long run of coax that is not a single strand (about 75-100 ft.), so sometimes I start thinking it's that--but then all of a sudden one day the signal will be solid without any yoga moves on our (or our pets') part. Then I start thinking it's the antenna and I should make it higher or get a larger antenna. But as I said before, with our other TV, KCBS usually comes in good with just rabbit ears. And then the frustration moves in…
Have you tried exploring all over your home to find a sweet spot with the antenna(s/e)? Maybe you can get lucky.
post #9613 of 9616 Old 11-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Here's the maps result: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24325b45238b0

It's identical. Looking at the overlays…while there are smudges of purple around my location (about 1/8 mile way), I'm in the green (almost with the slightest hint of purple tinge--but it's hard to tell). After reading more of the FAQ for this, perhaps I need to look at my cable run first. I do have at least one splice that I can recall. Could that be the culprit? I also bought a powered amp that basically looks like a splitter with an AC adapter. I suppose I should look at something a bit more robust--maybe it's just too cheap in build quality to do any good (or perhaps being detrimental).

Last edited by deckard_b26354; 11-18-2014 at 11:47 AM.
post #9614 of 9616 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Here's the maps result: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24325b45238b0

It's identical. Looking at the overlays…while there are smudges of purple around my location (about 1/8 mile way), I'm in the green (almost with the slightest hint of purple tinge--but it's hard to tell). After reading more of the FAQ for this, perhaps I need to look at my cable run first. I do have at least one splice that I can recall. Could that be the culprit? I also bought a powered amp that basically looks like a splitter with an AC adapter. I suppose I should look at something a bit more robust--maybe it's just too cheap in build quality to do any good (or perhaps being detrimental).
If you are close to the 5 freeway, that may be the cause of the problems you are seeing. Reflections off of cars can briefly mess up your reception. It could be your outside antenna can see the reflections but the indoor does not. The only remedy you can try is to move your outside antenna to different locations. I would not use a bigger antenna since your signals are already strong.
post #9615 of 9616 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I would not use a bigger antenna since your signals are already strong.
Actually, a "bigger", "stronger", "longer-range", etc antenna would provide a significant opportunity for improved reception.

Such antennas are going to be more directional at the expense of increased physical size (length and # of elements, usually). This will do several good things simultaneously, like improve the signal power of the desired signals, reject undesired signals (noise) from other directions, and improve the ratio between the desired signal and other noise sources. There is no danger of overloading the system from an antenna alone since the signal powers in the forecast do not take into account the transmitting antenna tilt or its vertical (elevation) pattern. Most likely, the main lobe of the transmitting antennas' signals is still well overhead in this location. Installing such an antenna so it's shielded from reflections from the interstate would help reduce those dynamic multipath problems.

It has been my observation and experience when using TVFool's simulator, that, for locations immediately on the back side of a hill, the estimates are usually way too optimistic.
phildaant likes this.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #9616 of 9616 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I also noticed to try various positions, heights, angles, locations, etc. for the antenna. Just be sure you can return it from the stores if bought.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page