Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 324 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #9691 of 9716 Old 03-13-2015, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Movies! has been on 13-4 for some time. Either the station is having a PSIP problem or your hardware is missing their PSIP for some reason, I suspect.

- Trip
phildaant likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9692 of 9716 Old 03-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Movies! has been on 13-4 for some time. Either the station is having a PSIP problem or your hardware is missing their PSIP for some reason, I suspect.

- Trip
Thanks for the clarification. When I did a scan for new digital channels my TV displayed 13.6 for the Movies! Channel so I thought the channel was new. Rabbitears does list it as the physical channel. My TV didn't show the display channel.
post #9693 of 9716 Old 03-14-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post
I'm seeing a new channel on 13.6 called Movies. Did I miss the announcement?
That should be rf channel 13.6 and virtual 13.3. Buzzr will be added soon to KCOP as rf 13.5 and virtual 13.2.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #9694 of 9716 Old 03-14-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I'm seeing a new channel on 13.6 called Movies. Did I miss the announcement?
I am not seeing a subchannel 13.6 now. But I am noticing one thing: subchannel 13.2 is missing. Perhaps they are in the process of working on their channel configuration. As you probably already know, Movies is normally on 13.3, and it is there now. Anyway, right now, there are just two subchannels, 13.1 and 13.3.
post #9695 of 9716 Old 03-15-2015, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
I am not seeing a subchannel 13.6 now. But I am noticing one thing: subchannel 13.2 is missing. Perhaps they are in the process of working on their channel configuration. As you probably already know, Movies is normally on 13.3, and it is there now. Anyway, right now, there are just two subchannels, 13.1 and 13.3.
Yeah ...

That's what I'm getting here too.

My guess is 13-2 (virtual) since vacated by Bounce TV to new owner Univison on KMEX 34-3, will sit idle until Buzzr TV begins broadcasting there scheduled at the end of May.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
post #9696 of 9716 Old 03-20-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bounce TV Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Yeah ...

That's what I'm getting here too.

My guess is 13-2 (virtual) since vacated by Bounce TV to new owner Univison on KMEX 34-3, will sit idle until Buzzr TV begins broadcasting there scheduled at the end of May.

Anyone still receiving Bounce TV on 13.? or is it now on 34-3?

MDR515H User. CableTV and Satellite sucking the life out of subscribers. They can keep their local channel disputes..OTA forever! haha
post #9697 of 9716 Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post
Anyone still receiving Bounce TV on 13.? or is it now on 34-3?
34-3 (KMEX)...

post #9698 of 9716 Old 03-24-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Question KTLA 5.1's rare audio drop outs?

Hello.

I noticed this on both OTA to my computer and TWC to its DVR in two different cities during Arrow, Flash, Whose Line It Is Anyways?, etc. It is very rare and random, and has been happening for a few years. Basically, audio drops out for a second. That's all. I don't think it is the 2.1 audio setup. I wonder if TWC is using the same TV feed from OTA?

Has anyone else noticed this too?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by phildaant; 03-25-2015 at 08:55 PM.
post #9699 of 9716 Old 03-25-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Hello.

I noticed this on both OTA to my computer and TWC to its DVR in two different cities during Arrow, Flash, etc. It is very rare and random. Basically, audio drops out for a second. That's all. I don't think it is the 2.1 audio setup. I wonder if TWC is using the same TV feed from OTA?

Thank you in advance.
In my experience, KTLA has had a long history of severe multipath problems. Although TVFool shows it to be the strongest of all stations in my area, I can't even use one of my UHF antennas when watching it. If I do use it, the picture freezes up in just a few seconds and the sound stops. But if I use the other antenna, it is OK.

I suspect that KTLA engineers tinker with their antenna(s) from time to time. Originally, reception was fine here with either antenna, and then, a few years ago, this problem suddenly started. Then, a couple of years after that, the problem suddenly cleared up, and it was fine for a couple of years. But now, around the first of this year it has returned. I have never seen anything like this on any other station, ever. Go figure.
phildaant likes this.
post #9700 of 9716 Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
In my experience, KTLA has had a long history of severe multipath problems. Although TVFool shows it to be the strongest of all stations in my area, I can't even use one of my UHF antennas when watching it. If I do use it, the picture freezes up in just a few seconds and the sound stops. But if I use the other antenna, it is OK.

I suspect that KTLA engineers tinker with their antenna(s) from time to time. Originally, reception was fine here with either antenna, and then, a few years ago, this problem suddenly started. Then, a couple of years after that, the problem suddenly cleared up, and it was fine for a couple of years. But now, around the first of this year it has returned. I have never seen anything like this on any other station, ever. Go figure.
Even with good signal strengths? TWC uses OTA to send its video through its cable TV system too?
post #9701 of 9716 Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Even with good signal strengths? TWC uses OTA to send its video through its cable TV system too?
Yes, it happens even with extremely good signal strength. You raise a good question about how TWC gets the signals from local stations. I would have assumed that the cable and satellite companies receive the signals through hardwired connections, but I suppose it is possible that they get them via OTA.
phildaant likes this.
post #9702 of 9716 Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Yes, it happens even with extremely good signal strength. You raise a good question about how TWC gets the signals from local stations. I would have assumed that the cable and satellite companies receive the signals through hardwired connections, but I suppose it is possible that they get them via OTA.
Thanks. I think I will contact KTLA about this issue.
post #9703 of 9716 Old 03-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I can't say for this specific situation if TWC has a direct feed of KTLA but in most cases cable companies will have direct feed of all major locals which would include KTLA. In the event the direct feed is lost, OTA is a backup.

Some stations have 2 encoders, 1 for OTA and 1 to cable & satellite companies but both with identical settings. Some stations would have the same encoder feed OTA,satellite, and cable companies. But somewhere along the station's signal chain there is a single point of failure where viewers are seeing an issue on both OTA & cable.
phildaant likes this.
post #9704 of 9716 Old 03-26-2015, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Hello.

I noticed this on both OTA to my computer and TWC to its DVR in two different cities during Arrow, Flash, Whose Line It Is Anyways?, etc. It is very rare and random, and has been happening for a few years. Basically, audio drops out for a second. That's all. I don't think it is the 2.1 audio setup. I wonder if TWC is using the same TV feed from OTA?

Thank you in advance.
Quote:

I've had this issue for years, quick multipath disruptions seemed to be audio but not severe enough to disrupt video. I could re-tweak the antennae but then 2 and 4 would get messed up. I've found that even with indoor antennaes you might have to move it around just a bit in different seasons. UHF signals tend to be fussier than VHF.
I've learned to live with the audio dropouts when they happen.
phildaant likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #9705 of 9716 Old 04-04-2015, 04:58 PM

Unhappy KABC 7 Gone

Has anyone experienced KABC disappearing about this time of the year?

I have readjusted my rooftop antenna to no avail. I get everything else fine, but KABC.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f03e39c6b95f

I noticed that the effective ERP is 27.08kW, but I get KCAL 9 perfectly fine which has an effective ERP of 24.4kW. All my other LA and OC locals are perfect.

Today I tried to separate UHF and VHF with a separate $15 UHF antenna
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Aspe...tenna/21152494

I mounted this on the same pole with a separate pre-amp and a combiner to one output.
It definitely boosted my UHF stations, but still no KABC. I can occasionally get a 8 or 10 signal but nothing to view.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

MDR515H User. CableTV and Satellite sucking the life out of subscribers. They can keep their local channel disputes..OTA forever! haha
post #9706 of 9716 Old 04-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I have readjusted my rooftop antenna to no avail. I get everything else fine, but KABC.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
What happened when I suggested pointing your antenna toward the south southwest, instead of pointing it towards the foothill? I thought all your receptions were all reflections from Fontana.
post #9707 of 9716 Old 04-05-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
What happened when I suggested pointing your antenna toward the south southwest, instead of pointing it towards the foothill? I thought all your receptions were all reflections from Fontana.
I tried your suggestion of pointing it toward the south, but lost all my stations.
Now I'm not so sure if the fact that my neighbors house is in the way towards the south would cause that or if the signal is not bouncing off S. Fontana's hills....?

Thanks for the info.

post #9708 of 9716 Old 04-10-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

I noticed that the effective ERP is 27.08kW, but I get KCAL 9 perfectly fine which has an effective ERP of 24.4kW. All my other LA and OC locals are perfect.

Today I tried to separate UHF and VHF with a separate $15 UHF antenna
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Aspe...tenna/21152494

I mounted this on the same pole with a separate pre-amp and a combiner to one output.
It definitely boosted my UHF stations, but still no KABC. I can occasionally get a 8 or 10 signal but nothing to view.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Is this the first year you've run into this? There has been some weirdness with high VHF this year, I've seen ripples with 7 and 11 that normally tend to be rock solid. Are you able to lock in chan 7 at all or does the tuner totally skip it.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #9709 of 9716 Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Is this the first year you've run into this? There has been some weirdness with high VHF this year, I've seen ripples with 7 and 11 that normally tend to be rock solid. Are you able to lock in chan 7 at all or does the tuner totally skip it.
I barely cut the TWC service in Dec. and installed the outdoor antenna in Jan., so I've only had this setup for 4 mos.
I had KABC pretty good for about 3 mos, then nothing, but I can get it pixilated at about a 10 signal strength. (16-18 signal meter on my DVR seems to be the sweet spot without drop offs)

It's obviously the mountains behind us that are blocking the signals because if I was about a mile south, according to the TVFool map, I'd have stronger signals.

I did notice that KNBC and KCBS are UHF and these come in strong.
Is the high VHF more sensitive than UHF?

Thanks for the input.

post #9710 of 9716 Old 04-12-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did notice that KNBC and KCBS are UHF and these come in strong.
Is the high VHF more sensitive than UHF?

Thanks for the input.
Actually, just the opposite is true. VHF signals bend more easily around obstacles than UHF, due to diffraction effects with the longer wavelengths. But there are limitations, of course. You may need to add a specialized hi-band VHF antenna like the Winegard YA-1713 which I am using here.
post #9711 of 9716 Old 04-12-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Actually, just the opposite is true. VHF signals bend more easily around obstacles than UHF, due to diffraction effects with the longer wavelengths. But there are limitations, of course. You may need to add a specialized hi-band VHF antenna like the Winegard YA-1713 which I am using here.
Looks like a nice antenna. I see it's discontinued.

Do you recommend a rotor/rotator?
I've been researching them and cannot determine if it will fit on the J-Pole that came with my RCA Yagi, nor how the antenna mounts to the rotor...
I've been searching for installed pictures but only find the rotor uninstalled.

I'm also debating on this CM-3020, which seems to get pretty good reviews, but is MASSIVE.
If I could figure out how/if something like this antenna would work with my already installed J-Pole mast and a rotor, I'd be contempt.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-M...specifications

Thanks again for the input!

post #9712 of 9716 Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks like a nice antenna. I see it's discontinued.

Do you recommend a rotor/rotator?
I've been researching them and cannot determine if it will fit on the J-Pole that came with my RCA Yagi, nor how the antenna mounts to the rotor...
I've been searching for installed pictures but only find the rotor uninstalled.

I'm also debating on this CM-3020, which seems to get pretty good reviews, but is MASSIVE.
If I could figure out how/if something like this antenna would work with my already installed J-Pole mast and a rotor, I'd be contempt.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-M...specifications

Thanks again for the input!
It appears from the specifications in your link that the CM-3020 covers all the way down to channel 2, and if this is so, that alone would add a huge amount of unnecessary bulk and size to the antenna. As you know, channels 2, 4 and 5 are actually on UHF (channels 43, 36 and 31 respectively). Having a reception capability of the old, lo-VHF channels won't help you at all. I didn't know that the YA-1713 had been discontinued. Maybe you can still find something similar, or else an all-band antenna that only covers down as far as channel 7.

In your case, almost all of the stations you are likely to watch are on Mt. Wilson, and thus in one direction. There are a few I.E. stations, like KVCR, which should be to the southeast, however. I would recommend first pointing your antenna directly at Mt. Wilson and adjusting its position for the best possible performance on those station. You may still get acceptable reception of the closer (and thus stronger) I.E. stations on a side lobe or back lobe of your antenna. It might take a little adjusting of your antenna to find an ideal "sweet spot" or compromise position. Anyway, I think it would be nice to not have to deal with the added hassle of adding a rotor.
post #9713 of 9716 Old 04-13-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
It appears from the specifications in your link that the CM-3020 covers all the way down to channel 2, and if this is so, that alone would add a huge amount of unnecessary bulk and size to the antenna. As you know, channels 2, 4 and 5 are actually on UHF (channels 43, 36 and 31 respectively). Having a reception capability of the old, lo-VHF channels won't help you at all. I didn't know that the YA-1713 had been discontinued. Maybe you can still find something similar, or else an all-band antenna that only covers down as far as channel 7.

In your case, almost all of the stations you are likely to watch are on Mt. Wilson, and thus in one direction. There are a few I.E. stations, like KVCR, which should be to the southeast, however. I would recommend first pointing your antenna directly at Mt. Wilson and adjusting its position for the best possible performance on those station. You may still get acceptable reception of the closer (and thus stronger) I.E. stations on a side lobe or back lobe of your antenna. It might take a little adjusting of your antenna to find an ideal "sweet spot" or compromise position. Anyway, I think it would be nice to not have to deal with the added hassle of adding a rotor.
I get the locals out here no problem (KVCR,etc..) even if I'm pointed at Mt. Wilson.
Not sure if I mentioned that I did readjust the antenna on Sat and now get KABC again, albiet a bit pixi at times. I removed the UHF bowtie, since it was reducing my signal on most lower UHF channels when using a combiner. I still get KDOC and my fav 46.3, but lost KOCE

I was contemplating the larger antenna just because I think there's not enough gain on the RCA ANT751 for my weak area. I must use a pre-amp to receive anything from LA.

Yesterday I was in at my mom's in SGV which is LOS to Mt. Wilson. Her cable bill is now in excess of $140 and she only gets basic; no HBOs etc...maybe I'll give her my ANT751 and get something stronger way out here.

Thanks for the valuable input.

post #9714 of 9716 Old 04-15-2015, 01:37 PM

Exclamation Laff-TV

It's on the air 7.3. Anyone checked it out yet?
phildaant and Juan2watch like this.
post #9715 of 9716 Old 04-15-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitcomics View Post
It's on the air 7.3. Anyone checked it out yet?
No, but I saw its web site on http://www.laff.com/schedule/ ... Nothing interesting except its animal videos which I already saw online long time ago.
post #9716 of 9716 Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the heads up! I'm getting Laff TV on channel 7.3 now.

Showing "The Freshman" right now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page