Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 326 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #9751 of 9759 Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfranci View Post
Anyone having issues with KCOP and KTTV right now? I am in West LA using a $40 indoor antenna. All 130+ other locals I can get are coming in fine, but KCOP and KTTV have pixellation issues every 15 seconds. Signal strength is listed at 100% on my Channel Master + DVR.
bfranci ,for me, it was good today evening . now it is blocked out and i show 100% signal strength .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 9759 Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfranci View Post
Anyone having issues with KCOP and KTTV right now? I am in West LA using a $40 indoor antenna. All 130+ other locals I can get are coming in fine, but KCOP and KTTV have pixellation issues every 15 seconds. Signal strength is listed at 100% on my Channel Master + DVR.
Alls fine on those two channels here in the So. LA area on my TIVO Roamio OTA (received off a rooftop Winegard HD 7697P).

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
post #9753 of 9759 Old 08-17-2015, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
KCIO-LD is now on real channel 30, virtual 33.xx. "America" is on 33.1.

I use to be able to get KPBS on my South facing antenna, but no more, as they are both on 30.
post #9754 of 9759 Old 08-19-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-rdx View Post
KCIO-LD is now on real channel 30, virtual 33.xx. "America" is on 33.1.

I use to be able to get KPBS on my South facing antenna, but no more, as they are both on 30.
I am still getting KPBS on virtual ch. 15. The San Diego stations come in here semi-regularly during the summer months when the weather favors long distance propagation. Along with KGTV, KPBS is one of the stronger SD stations here. For some reason, KSWB, on virtual ch. 69, is the strongest of them all, and even comes in during other times of year as well.

For me at least, KFMB has displaced KFLA, since both are on channel 8. KFMB seldom comes in, though, since it is weaker than the other SD stations. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a trace of KFLA for about 4 months, now. I assume it is still on the air.
post #9755 of 9759 Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
... Come to think of it, I haven't seen a trace of KFLA for about 4 months, now. I assume it is still on the air.
Yeah there still on the air ... technically speaking that is.

That is if you consider horrible PQ, constant pixelation and picture breakup, lip sync frequently off, and program guide data, at least from TMS, many times missing or wrongly labeled as being truely on the air.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
post #9756 of 9759 Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
I am still getting KPBS on virtual ch. 15. The San Diego stations come in here semi-regularly during the summer months when the weather favors long distance propagation. Along with KGTV, KPBS is one of the stronger SD stations here. For some reason, KSWB, on virtual ch. 69, is the strongest of them all, and even comes in during other times of year as well.
KSWB Fox still comes in 95% of the time for me . TVFool shows KCIO-LD on real channel 30, (was pending), from hills north of Claremont. It doesn't look like I should be receiving it in Irvine, but I am.
post #9757 of 9759 Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-rdx View Post
KSWB Fox still comes in 95% of the time for me . TVFool shows KCIO-LD on real channel 30, (was pending), from hills north of Claremont. It doesn't look like I should be receiving it in Irvine, but I am.
KCIO-LD doesn't even register in the list on TVFool at my location. But no wonder- if it is in the hills above Claremont, it would be completely blocked by the San Gabriel mountains. You are a lot closer to San Diego, and that must be why you get such good reception of the SD stations. Here, these stations lie 120+ miles away (KSWB is at 143.1 miles), and are not LOS, generally having a "2 Edge" designation. In my case, I believe that the reception of these stations is completely dependent on tropospheric propagation.
post #9758 of 9759 Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone, somewhat new to the whole OTA HDTV thing. I tried searching and couldn't quite find an answer to a similar situation.

I've had DISH for the last 6 years and finally got tired of paying over $100 per month for... what like 5-10 channels that I watch on a semi-regular basis. Flash forward - and now with a toddler and another youngling on the way, most of what we watch and record are things like cartoons and PBS kiddie shows (sesame street, Thomas the train).

So I cancelled dish and am in the process of trying to maximize my OTA stations.

Here is my TVfool:

I'm going to guess that a lot of my issues have to do with living sort of midway up a hill and signals bouncing all around... but in either case, here's sort of what I've noticed so far...

Clearstream 1 indoor (have had it for a number of years) + in line amplifier = scanned 135 channels. Many are sort of variable as far as consistency and reliability. So I decided to go with an outdoor antenna.

Had good luck with the clearstream, so I went with the clearstream 4, mounted about 30 feet up on the roof.
Tried pointing it at around 21 degrees (assuming the iphone compass app works lol) and also at around 90 degrees.
Had varying degrees of success. Had pretty bad results until I tried putting a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier in there. That one thing really helped a lot actually.

Results were better, but still wasn't getting all of the VHS that I wanted to receive though... Channel 2 in particular seems a bit wonky. Not a huge deal breaker I suppose, considering what happened next.

I read a post on Amazon that some people got the Clearstream 5 and used the combiner with the Clearstream 4 to improve their channels.
So I tried it, did a rescan and am getting... about 56 channels????

I am getting 4 (NBC), 7(ABC), 9(KCAL), 11(FOX), 13 (my13), all the 18's, all the 24's (PBS + CREATE), and some higher channels like the 62's.

I would also like to try to get 2(CBS), 5(CW), 30(ION), 44, the 50's (PBS)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Should I try a totally different antenna setup? Yagi? Re-aim? Currently, I have the CS5 aimed at around 21 degrees, and the CS4 aimed at about ...45 ? degrees.

thanks in advance,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	18
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	910042  
post #9759 of 9759 Old 08-27-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibal869 View Post
Hi everyone, somewhat new to the whole OTA HDTV thing. I tried searching and couldn't quite find an answer to a similar situation.

I've had DISH for the last 6 years and finally got tired of paying over $100 per month for... what like 5-10 channels that I watch on a semi-regular basis. Flash forward - and now with a toddler and another youngling on the way, most of what we watch and record are things like cartoons and PBS kiddie shows (sesame street, Thomas the train).

So I cancelled dish and am in the process of trying to maximize my OTA stations.

Here is my TVfool:

I'm going to guess that a lot of my issues have to do with living sort of midway up a hill and signals bouncing all around... but in either case, here's sort of what I've noticed so far...

Clearstream 1 indoor (have had it for a number of years) + in line amplifier = scanned 135 channels. Many are sort of variable as far as consistency and reliability. So I decided to go with an outdoor antenna.

Had good luck with the clearstream, so I went with the clearstream 4, mounted about 30 feet up on the roof.
Tried pointing it at around 21 degrees (assuming the iphone compass app works lol) and also at around 90 degrees.
Had varying degrees of success. Had pretty bad results until I tried putting a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier in there. That one thing really helped a lot actually.

Results were better, but still wasn't getting all of the VHS that I wanted to receive though... Channel 2 in particular seems a bit wonky. Not a huge deal breaker I suppose, considering what happened next.

I read a post on Amazon that some people got the Clearstream 5 and used the combiner with the Clearstream 4 to improve their channels.
So I tried it, did a rescan and am getting... about 56 channels????

I am getting 4 (NBC), 7(ABC), 9(KCAL), 11(FOX), 13 (my13), all the 18's, all the 24's (PBS + CREATE), and some higher channels like the 62's.

I would also like to try to get 2(CBS), 5(CW), 30(ION), 44, the 50's (PBS)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Should I try a totally different antenna setup? Yagi? Re-aim? Currently, I have the CS5 aimed at around 21 degrees, and the CS4 aimed at about ...45 ? degrees.

thanks in advance,
Chris

Actually, it looks like you are doing well on all of the major VHF stations. Keep in mind that channels 2, 4 and 5 are actually UHF stations, transmitting on channels 43, 36 and 31 respectively. The channel numbers 2, 4 and 5 are only aliases, known as "virtual" channel numbers, used to agree with the old, familiar channels used back in the analog TV days.

Instead, you need to improve your UHF reception. This could be a bit tricky, since you already have some UHF capability with your current antenna. You might try adding a "deep fringe" UHF antenna, using a "combiner" in your coax lines, or, if one is not available, you could try a signal splitter installed backwards to combine the signals from the two antennas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page