Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 327 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 87Likes
post #9781 of 9833 Old 11-08-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannychico View Post
It seems like I should probably go for an outdoor antenna mounted on the roof. But I have absolutely no idea which to pick.
Please help!
Best to talk to your neighbors, to see what they are using.
Also consider tall buildings and trees. A large live Oak between between the transmitter and receiver is a problem in and of itself.
phildaant likes this.

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9833 Old 11-08-2015, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Best to talk to your neighbors, to see what they are using.
Also consider tall buildings and trees. A large live Oak between between the transmitter and receiver is a problem in and of itself.
I think I'm the only one on the block who will have an antenna. My latest thinking this morning is I should get an omnidirectional antenna instead of a big directional one. The reason being, although all of my signals are coming from the same direction, they won't be picked up directly. I'm on a hillside, and there are houses above me that will be directly blocking the line-of-sight.
phildaant likes this.
post #9783 of 9833 Old 11-10-2015, 09:57 AM

After a lot of research I've narrowed down my choices to either the Winegard 7697p or the Winegard 7698p. Any advice?

The price difference isn't a big deal to me. Of more concern is the 30 extra inches of length on the 7698p. All things being equal (or close), I think I'd prefer the smaller antenna.

Here's my TV Fool profile:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03cc48057837
phildaant likes this.
post #9784 of 9833 Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
After a lot of research I've narrowed down my choices to either the Winegard 7697p or the Winegard 7698p. Any advice?

The price difference isn't a big deal to me. Of more concern is the 30 extra inches of length on the 7698p. All things being equal (or close), I think I'd prefer the smaller antenna.

Have the 7697P here ...

Works great ....

But then again, since I live in a primary signal coverage area of South LA, this large directional antenna is really overkill here, so I don't know my experience is a good example of it's capabilities.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
post #9785 of 9833 Old 11-15-2015, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Oh my sweet lord I am overwhelmed. I don't usually have a hard time picking out electronics. I know the sites to visit (AVS being one of them), the review sources to check, and finally the places to order from. However, OTA antennas are in a world unto themselves. I get it, it's hard for a review site to make a universal recommendation given all the factors that can affect performance. But I am absolutely dumbstruck by the number of antennas out there.

I'm in Studio City. There's a small mountain in between me and the broadcast towers (which seem to be mostly 19 miles to the NE).

Here's my TV Fool profile.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e033ba60811fd

It seems like I should probably go for an outdoor antenna mounted on the roof. But I have absolutely no idea which to pick. I just lost two hours of my life to Amazon searches and don't feel like I'm any closer to picking one out. Please help!
One question comes to mind if you put an antenna on the roof how tall is your house. One story, two ?? Are you down in the flats or up in the hills. How far is this small mountain from you. Half the battle of OTA reception is getting the angle right, if the angle is wrong the size of an antenna won't make a difference
if the signal is blocked. I live in the SF Valley and kind of have an idea what you're going through.
phildaant likes this.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
post #9786 of 9833 Old 11-15-2015, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
One question comes to mind if you put an antenna on the roof how tall is your house. One story, two ?? Are you down in the flats or up in the hills. How far is this small mountain from you. Half the battle of OTA reception is getting the angle right, if the angle is wrong the size of an antenna won't make a difference
if the signal is blocked. I live in the SF Valley and kind of have an idea what you're going through.
Saw some of your previous posts, sorry if I asked redundant questions.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
post #9787 of 9833 Old 11-15-2015, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think the length would make that much of a difference, it's height that will help, especially with the stations are that really UHF (channel 5 for example) vs channel 7 which is really on channel 7.

post #9788 of 9833 Old 11-15-2015, 09:14 AM

My house is only one story tall. Therefore the antenna is not going to be that high off the ground. I'll get a mast up 5 feet, but total that might be only 15 above-ground. Then again, I'm on a hillside, so I'm about 50 feet above the street?

There was a website link that I've lost, but it talked about aiming the antenna upwards in my situation, since the signal is going to be coming across over the top of a hill. The website was very rudimentary, almost all plain text, and had a name like "HDTV info" or something like that.

I went ahead and ordered the 7698p. Antennaweb says I'm definitely in the purple zone, so I figured better to be safe than sorry and eke out as much gain as I can.

Edit: FOUND IT! This link is incredibly detailed but looks like good info: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/siting.html
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Dannychico; 11-15-2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added link
post #9789 of 9833 Old 11-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Well, here's an update. I got the Winegard 7698 installed up on my roof today. With no pre-amp, I immediately pulled in 170 channels.

I am beyond excited and the quality of the reception is great. When AntennaWeb told me I was in the violet zone, I was worried. But the 7698 has done me right.

Now where the heck do I find guide info for all these channels?
Teeps, phildaant and tenthplanet like this.
post #9790 of 9833 Old 11-24-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Lightbulb

Quote:
Well, here's an update. I got the Winegard 7698 installed up on my roof today. With no pre-amp, I immediately pulled in 170 channels.

I am beyond excited and the quality of the reception is great. When AntennaWeb told me I was in the violet zone, I was worried. But the 7698 has done me right.

Lucky if they are all stable! I think I got 137 channels at my old nest, but I don't watch all!

Use TV Guide, TitanTV, etc.?
Teeps likes this.
post #9791 of 9833 Old 11-25-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can also use the online version of TV Guide at http://www.tvguide.com/listings/. It shows a scroll-able chart of the local TV stations, showing programs, times, etc.for each station. It is very handy, and you can fully customize it, too.
post #9792 of 9833 Old 11-25-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congratulations!
You have successfully deciphered the mystic that is OTA antenna selection and installation!

I have been using TitanTv for OTA guide info for 15 years; works for me.

Cheers, Tp

post #9793 of 9833 Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

zap2 it www.zap2it.com.
What did you end up of using for the angle for the antenna installation or did you just level it out.

post #9794 of 9833 Old 11-28-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

zap2 it www.zap2it.com.
What did you end up of using for the angle for the antenna installation or did you just level it out.
Just went with level. Even though I'm on the wrong side of a hill, I guess I'm high enough up that the signal is strong enough as is. Very happy! Was prepared to get a pre-amp but it looks like I don't need one.

I'm only feeding to one TV at the moment. Might split it to up to four in the future, and I'll look into a distribution amp if need be.

Would be nice if at some point in the next decade broadcast signals can handle 4K. I've heard skeptical things in that regard, so we'll see.
post #9795 of 9833 Old 12-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Would be nice if at some point in the next decade broadcast signals can handle 4K. I've heard skeptical things in that regard, so we'll see.
It's coming, the ATSC committee is closing in on ATSC 3.0, which will include UHD resolution, among other goodies. It's harder this go-round because the broadcasters won't have an FCC mandate forcing consumers to upgrade, but I think it will still happen.
post #9796 of 9833 Old 12-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else having trouble with KTLA lately?

I have line-of-sight to Mount Wilson and a pretty small outdoor antenna on the balcony. In general I have 99% perfect reception across all major stations, but just in the last 3 weeks or so KTLA has gone to pieces. Did something change, or is it just a weather thing?
post #9797 of 9833 Old 12-02-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post

I have line-of-sight to Mount Wilson and a pretty small outdoor antenna on the balcony. In general I have 99% perfect reception across all major stations, but just in the last 3 weeks or so KTLA has gone to pieces. Did something change, or is it just a weather thing?
KTLA seems to be unusually susceptible to multi-path. I have had trouble in this regard with KTLA also, even though it is very strong here- in fact, it is the strongest of all local stations and line-of-sight (LOS) at my location, according to TVFool. Oat Mountain looms over me to the NW, and I suspect that it is the main culprit, since it would make a good reflector. Right now, KTLA is unwatchable on my main set, which is connected to a broad beam antenna array, even though it is very strong.

I suspect that they tweak their antennas from time to time, and there was actually a period when I got perfect reception of KTLA for a couple of years, and then, I think, they tweaked their antennas again and the mulipath came back! However, I do have a second UHF antenna, hooked to a different TV and I get perfect reception with that. I intend to change the other TV to a more directional antenna, and that should solve the problem.

You might first try slightly changing the direction of your present antenna and see if you can find a "sweet spot" with KTLA. If this doesn't work, then pick up a more directional UHF antenna (having higher gain), and point it directly at Mt. Wilson.
post #9798 of 9833 Old 12-03-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post

When is it the worst day,night, or both?

post #9799 of 9833 Old 12-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When is it the worst day,night, or both?
Honestly I do almost no daytime viewing, so the issues I'm seeing are all in the evening. If I have a chance on the weekend I'll tune in and see if daytime reception is any different.
post #9800 of 9833 Old 12-05-2015, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I am trying to get OTA on a couple of TV's in my house. The TV's are all home run to a Channel Plus Distribution Amplifier. I have a channel plus modulator modulating to channels 14,16,18. The distribution system has been in place and working for 15+ years. I was using Time Warner for local stations till they went digital. When they switched over I pulled an old "High Def" antenna out of the attic and connected it to "Cable In" on the Distribution amplifier. The antenna was purchased quite a long time ago when there were only 2-3 High Def channels broadcast in Los Angeles.

When I first placed the antenna up on the roof I got most of my local stations (2-13). In the past year though the channels have slowly drifted away. I went up on the roof today and spent some time moving the antenna different directions. And while I got a bunch of higher end channels (Above 20) My local networks (2-13) i ended up with only 2-3 channels.

I am located in Encino on the flats north of the blvd. TV Fool shows I should be able to get all channels with an indoor antenna.

Do I need to purchase a new antenna? The one I have has 2 layers, the top layer the antenna elements are round, and the lower layer the antenna elements are flat.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Dave
post #9801 of 9833 Old 12-06-2015, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Hi Guys,

I am trying to get OTA on a couple of TV's in my house. The TV's are all home run to a Channel Plus Distribution Amplifier. I have a channel plus modulator modulating to channels 14,16,18. The distribution system has been in place and working for 15+ years. I was using Time Warner for local stations till they went digital. When they switched over I pulled an old "High Def" antenna out of the attic and connected it to "Cable In" on the Distribution amplifier. The antenna was purchased quite a long time ago when there were only 2-3 High Def channels broadcast in Los Angeles.

When I first placed the antenna up on the roof I got most of my local stations (2-13). In the past year though the channels have slowly drifted away. I went up on the roof today and spent some time moving the antenna different directions. And while I got a bunch of higher end channels (Above 20) My local networks (2-13) i ended up with only 2-3 channels.

I am located in Encino on the flats north of the blvd. TV Fool shows I should be able to get all channels with an indoor antenna.

Do I need to purchase a new antenna? The one I have has 2 layers, the top layer the antenna elements are round, and the lower layer the antenna elements are flat.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Dave
Of the ones in the 2 to 13 range which ones are you still getting. 2 thru 5 are actually UHF signals and 7 thru 13 are Hi-VHF signals. Depending on which channels you're still getting will shine some light on the problem. When you were adjusting your antenna did you look at your cable connection to it, time and the elements can degrade the connection even in a dry climate.

Last edited by tenthplanet; 12-06-2015 at 01:29 AM. Reason: mis spell
post #9802 of 9833 Old 12-06-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Of the ones in the 2 to 13 range which ones are you still getting. 2 thru 5 are actually UHF signals and 7 thru 13 are Hi-VHF signals. Depending on which channels you're still getting will shine some light on the problem. When you were adjusting your antenna did you look at your cable connection to it, time and the elements can degrade the connection even in a dry climate.
Yesterday after playing on the roof I had only 4.1. This morning when I checked the downstairs TV I have 4.1,5.1 and 11.1, The second TV upstairs, which is newer and of a better quality only gets channel 7.1. Strangely both TV's don't tune to the same channels at the same time. Depending on the aim of the antennae one TV gets more stations.

From my review of TV Fool all the antennas I need are in the same location and the same distance (25 miles).

Dave
post #9803 of 9833 Old 12-06-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
The distribution system has been in place and working for 15+ years. I was using Time
Do I need to purchase a new antenna?
Dave
Most likely the answer is yes, you will need an antenna that will receive VHF and UHF signals to get all the stations.

15 years ago I was using a 4 bay bow-tie antenna to capture, the then new, ATSC (H/D) broadcasts from our local stations.
When they reassigned the UHF and VHF frequencies, Ch 7~13 could no longer be tuned by my TV card in my Home Theater PC.
However, my TiVo Roamio Basic connected to the same antenna WOULD tune all local stations 2~13, during the day!
At night, only 2~5 would tune, go figure.
I replaced the bow-tie antenna with this one from fry's http://www.frys.com/product/2570051 all locals come in acceptably 99% of the time.

Cheers, Tp

post #9804 of 9833 Old 12-17-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 66
KOCE 50.1 PBS from Huntington Beach is airing as a probable fluke in Las Vegas tonight on KLSV 50.3. KLSV usually airs CornerStore infomercials.

Two months later: Did I forget to yield back the balance of my time?

It's is my opinion that any station that nibbles on the incentive auction should immediately forfeit their license, with no pay-out, as it goes against the "In the public interest" of a tv license. Selling out in the auction only benefits the shareholders of the stations at the expense of giving the middle finger to the public. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters. We need a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby.

Last edited by rdvegas; 02-14-2016 at 07:55 AM.
post #9805 of 9833 Unread 02-16-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
san bernardino, ca

hi all,

wanting to make the switch here based on my location, saw a few san bernardino posts but their tvfool link was no longer available for me to make a comparison.

here's where i'm at:

http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrappe...513487be06705a

and here's what i'm looking at:

monoprice.com/product?p_id=7976

so a couple questions before i make the move:

• is this sufficient for my OTA needs?
  • when tvfool says 'most likely require extreme measures to try and pick them up', does that mean i would need to attach the antenna to the roof or tethered to a weather balloon?

i thank you in advance, and i look forward to hearing your expertise/insights

Last edited by DrDon; 02-18-2016 at 06:19 AM.
post #9806 of 9833 Unread 02-18-2016, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Please use existing threads when possible.

Threads merged, post edited to fix link.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9807 of 9833 Unread 02-18-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Please use existing threads when possible.

Threads merged, post edited to fix link.
Which existing threads? I thought this was an existing thread.
post #9808 of 9833 Unread 02-18-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
Which existing threads? I thought this was an existing thread.
As he said, "threads merged." He merged the post, which previously was not in this thread, into this thread.

- Trip
DrDon likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9809 of 9833 Unread 02-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Gentlemen,
I have two BIG old antennas on my roof, attached to a mast. They came with the house and I'm sure they're from the 70s. My other guess is that one is UHF (top) and the other VHF (bottom). They have no wiring and one is missing a screw where the flat wire used to connect. Will these antennas work well with current VHF and UHF signals? Also, can I combine them? How does it work exactly? Do i attach a balun (transformer) to each and run a coax down from each balun into a combiner? I will be feeding 4 TV's inside the house. Ive done some research online and I'm just making sure. Thank you all!!

Yes, I have ground wire to run and have an amplified splitter in my attic if needed.

I live in the San Fernando Valley (L.A. area) where all of the towers I need are all 27 miles East on Mt. Whitney. I've uploaded pictures. Thank you for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160218_152924.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1273897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160218_152938.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1273905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160218_152845.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1273913  
post #9810 of 9833 Unread 02-23-2016, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
North San Diego County success

Very difficult site in the Rainbow area of North San Diego County. Tried a CM-4228HD, CM-2020 and a M4.

The M4 out preformed the others.

The initial scan showed availability of KCBS, KNBC, KTLA, KABC, KTTV, KCOP, KTBN, KOCE, KVEA and KLCS. All strong signals with KCAL being the weakest with 4 out of 10 bars. Additional scans occasionally added KDOC although weak with some pixilation. These scans were done during a light Santa Ana weather condition (hot dry air). Hoping for a bit of improvement when the humidity increases.

The most interesting thing to note is the best location found to mount the antenna. All other things being equal one would think the highest location would win. Mounting on the roof top where the antenna would be 1234’ above sea level under-preformed mounting at grade down-slope at 1200’ elevation. TV-Fool agrees with the actual results.

See the two attached TV-Fool charts

Roof Top – Elevation 1234’ http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134d3d75dbc3e

Down the slope – Elevation 1200’
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...513488e4ac4cad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	1274881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slope.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	1274897  

Last edited by Joe Pal; 02-23-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

taboola here