Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #9841 of 9868 Old 06-19-2016, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
I think you are right. Frankly, I have, for the most part given up on KOCE, partly because of these issues, and partly because the program content now on KCET has actually somewhat improved IMO, since they broke away from PBS. In any case, the improper formatting of 16:9 video, whether in HD or SD seems inexcusable, and KOCE has had a long history of doing this at times, even though so many other stations, like KCET have gotten it right. I especially hate it when they show a 16:9 HD program letterboxed so that the entire picture can fit inside a 4:3 frame. I suspect that KOCE's technical staff is either inept, just don't care or are nonexistent.
Yeah. ..

The usual pattern I find when stations do HD and get the formatting wrong it's usually a case of "stretch-o-vision" of native 4:3 content to fill out the 16:9 frame instead of properly pillar-boxing the content within it. Yuck ...

And then the far more prevalent case of improper formatting of widescreen SD material by anamorphically squeezing 16:9 content into the 4:3 frame, or "squish-o-vision." Again "yuck" ...

And then as you say, there's the familiar case of SD letterboxing of 16:9 material into a 4:3 frame, which while not technically a formatting error, and acceptable on old analog 4:3 sets. Results in the usual annoying "window-box" image (without zooming in) on a 16:9 HDTV or UHDTV.

And once again, "yuck" ...

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9868 Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know what happened to KLCS? It seems to be completely gone.
post #9843 of 9868 Old 06-22-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.DNA View Post
Anyone know what happened to KLCS? It seems to be completely gone.
Just checked. ...

Still receiving it here in South LA as normal on my OTA TIVO.

The main and it's 3 subchannels ...

post #9844 of 9868 Old 06-22-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Just checked. ...

Still receiving it here in South LA as normal on my OTA TIVO.

Thanks. I haven't checked it this morning (I'm not at home) but was getting zero signal from KLCS at 11PM last night (in Sunland) after being alerted by another OTAer friend in Covina.

update 10:25AM -- friend in Covina says he's still got nothing.

Last edited by Mr.DNA; 06-22-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #9845 of 9868 Old 06-22-2016, 01:16 PM

Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.dna View Post
anyone know what happened to klcs? It seems to be completely gone.
fyi:
Quote:
Viewers….

KLCS suffered a computer failure that normally identifies the station to the home receivers. While we were continually transmitting, many receivers or digital converter boxes were unable to identify the station and display the picture.

This problem has now been repaired and the KLCS data stream is back to normal, and our transmitter at Mt. Wilson is running 100% power. If your receiver still does not tune 58.1, 58.2, etc, then try entering 41.1, 41.2, etc. with the remote control. KLCS is actually transmitting on channel 41, so forcing the receiver to tune there will frequently reprogram the receiver without the lengthy channel scanning process. After that, 58.1 (our virtual channel) should tune properly.

This is a general answer to many viewers reporting the same failure. We are sorry for the inconvenience and you thank you for the contact.

Roger W. Knipp
Chief Operator / Engineer
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Mr.DNA; 06-22-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: formatting
post #9846 of 9868 Old 06-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
But they actually had it right for a long time and now it's wrong. It wasn't something that went bad by itself, somebody had to do it deliberately.
Exactly! After 10 days I FINALLY got a response from someone at KOCE.

Apparently they just changed their on-air encoding (multiplexing?) system to a different vendor and discovered an aspect ratio problem with secondary channels. Oops! The vendors software engineers are 'working on a fix'.

Using the 'stretch' feature of my JVC TV really sucks as it is implemented poorly - lately CE vendors have no shame and no clue!

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: Motorola DCX3200-M (non DVR), ODN v7.3.2_20
post #9847 of 9868 Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post
Exactly! After 10 days I FINALLY got a response from someone at KOCE.

Apparently they just changed their on-air encoding (multiplexing?) system to a different vendor and discovered an aspect ratio problem with secondary channels. Oops! The vendors software engineers are 'working on a fix'.

Using the 'stretch' feature of my JVC TV really sucks as it is implemented poorly - lately CE vendors have no shame and no clue!
Just to note in follow-up ...

"Squish-o-vision" format problem on KOCE's secondary sub-channels apparently fixed glad to see ...

post #9848 of 9868 Old 07-19-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Just to note in follow-up ...

"Squish-o-vision" format problem on KOCE's secondary sub-channels apparently fixed glad to see ...

You are right; all of the KOCE subchannels are currently formatted correctly. Actually, I haven't ever seen "Squish-o-Vision" on KOCE and rather rarely see it elsewhere, for that matter. When I have seen it, it has appeared mainly in commercials, as I recall.

As always, the main problem remains the widespread use of "Stretch-o-Vision" on SD broadcasts, though thankfully, at least not on KOCE.
post #9849 of 9868 Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
KABC Reception

I live in Simi Valley and recently switched to OTA. I am having trouble receiving KABC, Channel 7, particularly at night. During the day, the reception works well with an antenna signal on my Tivo around 65. At around 6pm, every day, the signal drops to as low as 40 and the channel drops out. I have a similar problem with Channel 9, but all other channels work well. I started with the MoHu Sky 60 antenna, and then switched to an RCA directional antenna for VHF and UHF signals. Does anyone know why I can receive signals well in the daytime but not at night and why this is only on channel 7?
post #9850 of 9868 Old 07-21-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarantube View Post
I live in Simi Valley and recently switched to OTA. I am having trouble receiving KABC, Channel 7, particularly at night. During the day, the reception works well with an antenna signal on my Tivo around 65. At around 6pm, every day, the signal drops to as low as 40 and the channel drops out. I have a similar problem with Channel 9, but all other channels work well. I started with the MoHu Sky 60 antenna, and then switched to an RCA directional antenna for VHF and UHF signals. Does anyone know why I can receive signals well in the daytime but not at night and why this is only on channel 7?
I had a similar problem with my TiVo Roamio when it was connected to a 4 bay bow-tie antenna (uhf only) that was indoors.
During the day all channels came in with plenty of sig strength. Soon as the sun went down only 2, 4 & 5 would tune in.
Solution: got a proper out door vhf/uhf antenna and mounted it on the roof.
http://www.frys.com/product/2570051

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #9851 of 9868 Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Channel 7 and 9 are high VHF instead of UHF signals. I live in Oxnard and I can bring in both at about 65 - 75 signal strength on my DVR+, but only after I added a "VHF Kit" to my DB4 antenna. I also added an amplifier to boost the signal strength to get to that 65 - 75 strength (they would break up at night without the amplifier). I think VHF is more susceptible to interference from things like CFL light bulbs, etc, if you are using an indoor antenna, so that might be the problem with night time reception. Just a guess!
post #9852 of 9868 Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While I always have excellent reception on channels 7 and 9 (and most others), I do have this same problem with KCET, ch. 28. During the day, it puts in a strong, steady signal, but during the early evening hours, it can suddenly pixellate briefly and then disappear. As it turns out, as TVFool shows, KCET's transmitter is situated behind a ridge and thus is not line-of-sight to my location. Atmospheric propagation is, at least in part responsible for reception, but during evening hours, these effects can change and sometimes reception breaks down for a time.

To check your reception of channel 7, you might try http://TVFool.com.
post #9853 of 9868 Old 07-30-2016, 08:26 PM

Liked: 1
Hi

I live in the notoriously bad reception area of Sierra Madre - up against the mountains. Although not impossible since I see a few antennas on neighbor's roofs. I will post my tvfool analysis once I have enough posts to include a link, but I have a few general questions.

How much of one's reception depends on the atsc tuner? Have they gotten better at rejecting multi path? I have an oldish Sony Bravia 40 inch. Will an older tuner perform worse?

Does tv fool calculate well for the terrain? For example there are two channels that are nearly the same noise margin and power, but the difference is terrain. The 1edge comes in easily, but the 2edge doesn't come in at all. Does the 2 shadows vs. one shadow make that much difference?

Also when does it make sense to put an amplifier in the signal chain? I am going over about 30 feet of coax, but to only one tv. Does that require a preamp?

On a different note, has anybody successfully used an attenuator to battle multi path? That is the main signal is the strongest but the tuner is confused by the multi path so reduce all of the signals so the multi path goes below threshold.
phildaant likes this.
post #9854 of 9868 Old 08-01-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smota View Post
Hi

I live in the notoriously bad reception area of Sierra Madre - up against the mountains. Although not impossible since I see a few antennas on neighbor's roofs. I will post my tvfool analysis once I have enough posts to include a link, but I have a few general questions.

How much of one's reception depends on the atsc tuner? Have they gotten better at rejecting multi path? I have an oldish Sony Bravia 40 inch. Will an older tuner perform worse?

Does tv fool calculate well for the terrain? For example there are two channels that are nearly the same noise margin and power, but the difference is terrain. The 1edge comes in easily, but the 2edge doesn't come in at all. Does the 2 shadows vs. one shadow make that much difference?

Also when does it make sense to put an amplifier in the signal chain? I am going over about 30 feet of coax, but to only one tv. Does that require a preamp?

On a different note, has anybody successfully used an attenuator to battle multi path? That is the main signal is the strongest but the tuner is confused by the multi path so reduce all of the signals so the multi path goes below threshold.
I used an attenuator when I lived in Madison, Wi. We were <5 miles from the TV tower and had a great deal of trouble with multi-pathing. The attenuator took care of the problem.
post #9855 of 9868 Old 08-05-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
I used an attenuator when I lived in Madison, Wi. We were <5 miles from the TV tower and had a great deal of trouble with multi-pathing. The attenuator took care of the problem.
I've known people who lived in that area, we used to joke about channel 3 coming in on your toaster.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
post #9856 of 9868 Old 08-07-2016, 04:56 PM

I put up my ChannelMaster CM 4228HD EXTREMEtenna 80 (rated for 80 miles) to see if it would do better than my DB8 with the VHF add-on and an amplifier. Neither one works in an attic, and must be roof mounted to bring in more than just a couple of stations. I'm in a challenging area which is about 63 miles from the transmission towers on Mt. Wilson (I live in Oxnard). My TV Fool report is here. The stations at the top are in Santa Barbara, and not of interest to me, so I'm working on the lower half of the chart ... all those stations at 89 to 90 degrees.

The CM 4228HD has 5db of gain for VHF, and it seems to work OK. I suspect an antenna with better VHF gain would do better, but it does slightly better than the DB8 with the VHF add on. My DVR+ gives me a "signal strength" and a "signal quality" rating for each channel and the un-amplified antenna is pulling in these numbers:

Channel - Network - Strength / Quality
2 - CBS = 97 /100
4 - NBC = 100 / 100
5 - CW = 100 / 100
7 - ABC = 62 / 73
9 - IND = 51 / 32
11 - FOX = 74 / 77
13 - MyTV = 62 / 63
28 - KCET = 95 / 100 (Public TV station, but no longer part of PBS)
50 - PBS = 92 / 100 (KOCE - now the primary PBS station in LA, actually based in Orange County)
58 - PBS = 100 / 100 (KLCS - part of the PBS network and now the only one based in Los Angeles)

I have left out stations above virtual 13 that are coming in very strong such as ION, Bounce, and GetTV as well as the numerous non-English stations.

I'm very happy with the above reception. KCAL, the independent on virtual 9 is not a channel I care too much about. So far ABC has been coming in fine and the recordings I make on my DVR+ don't show any drop outs, etc. I don't see any need to add the amplifier back in.

The DB8 is finding a home in the attic for the bedroom TV where it brings in only a few stations (NBC, the CW, and some Santa Barbara stations like the ABC affiliate there). The amplifier helps in that case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1589993  
post #9857 of 9868 Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
9 - IND = 51 / 32
28 - KCET = 95 / 100 (Public TV station, but no longer part of PBS)
Actually, channel 9 is not really independent. It is affiliated with channel 2 (CBS) and thus has links to that network. Both stations share the same studio building and many of the same staff members.

The only station in this list that I have problems with is KCET 28. Normally, I have solid reception, but sometimes in the early evening hours, it can suddenly freeze, pixellate and then disappear completely, sometimes for extended periods, before coming back just as suddenly. This is especially annoying since it happens during prime time. TVFool shows that KCET is not LOS to my location. They really should either move or raise their antenna, like other nearby stations apparently have already done.
post #9858 of 9868 Old 08-09-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Actually, channel 9 is not really independent. It is affiliated with channel 2 (CBS) and thus has links to that network. Both stations share the same studio building and many of the same staff members.

The only station in this list that I have problems with is KCET 28. Normally, I have solid reception, but sometimes in the early evening hours, it can suddenly freeze, pixellate and then disappear completely, sometimes for extended periods, before coming back just as suddenly. This is especially annoying since it happens during prime time. TVFool shows that KCET is not LOS to my location. They really should either move or raise their antenna, like other nearby stations apparently have already done.
Channel 9 is listed as "Ind" on the TV Fool report, meaning it is not a network affiliate (CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.) They may be owned by the same company but they are still an Independent station in terms of the TV Fool listing.

We get KCET without any problems so far, but it is listed as 1Edge on TV Fool. I'll have to check it during early evening. The TV Fool report has both a co-channel and adjacent channel warning for it on my report. I think the adjacent channel thing is dependent on your tuner and how well it rejects the adjacent channel (maybe a neighbor could tell you if they have the same issue). I think the other station broadcasting on that frequency is the sister station in Santa Barbara. I don't know if that one would affect you where you are.
post #9859 of 9868 Old 08-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
This has happened to me, too. Actually I lose most of the OTA stations for a short while. I finally discovered the problem correlated very well with the gardeners doing there job. It appears their gas mowers do not have the proper spark plug cable.
post #9860 of 9868 Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I'm in a neighborhood with rock-solid reception - pretty much line-of-sight to Mt. Wilson, with no obstructions, ~20 miles away. As expected I have no real problems with reception, except, mysteriously KTLA. I don't know if they just have a weak transmitter or what, but it's dicey (intermittent, though - sometimes it's fine, and I can't find the pattern). Most unfortunate, since as a fan of the Greg Berlanti DC universe about 40% of my total TV consumption is on the CW...
post #9861 of 9868 Old 08-10-2016, 02:31 AM

Oh well, ...

Was looking forward to the launch of Justice TV on KMEX 34-4.

But TMS apparently listed it wrong and it's showing up as mapped to the wrong virtual channel 34-2 on my OTA TIVO. Therefore just receiving duplicate programming from the actual 34-2 which is some additional new Spanish channel KMEX is now carrying in 1080i HD.

post #9862 of 9868 Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Er, was Justice Channel not already running? I was told it had launched several weeks ago.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9863 of 9868 Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Er, was Justice Channel not already running? I was told it had launched several weeks ago.

- Trip
Oh it may have been;

I wasn't personally keeping up when JC would exactly launch here in this market, but was going off the message from the TIVO service yesterday that the channel had been added to my lineup.

Proplem is though as I said, it's wrongly listed as virtual 34-2 on KMEX instead of 34-4 so can't receive it yet (correctly at least) on my OTA TIVO.

post #9864 of 9868 Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I'm in a neighborhood with rock-solid reception - pretty much line-of-sight to Mt. Wilson, with no obstructions, ~20 miles away. As expected I have no real problems with reception, except, mysteriously KTLA. I don't know if they just have a weak transmitter or what, but it's dicey (intermittent, though - sometimes it's fine, and I can't find the pattern). Most unfortunate, since as a fan of the Greg Berlanti DC universe about 40% of my total TV consumption is on the CW...
You are probably getting strong multipath with KTLA. I have two different antennas for UHF, and if i use the one with the broader beam, I have the same problem with KTLA, even though it is very strong and is LOS (in fact KTLA is the strongest of all the stations here, according to TVFool). And yet it completely freezes up! If I use the other, more directional antenna, there is no problem, however.
post #9865 of 9868 Old 08-12-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I live in Simi Valley also. I live in the northeast corner and since I am high up I get pretty good reception on all channels. Previously I lived near Yosemite and the 118 and there I had a 2600' peak between me and Mt Wilson. Got a lot of multipath problems since there is a pass in the southeast corner of Simi Valley. A good directional antenna helps a lot. Where do you live and have you solved your problem?
post #9866 of 9868 Old 08-17-2016, 09:47 AM

While I have no reception problems with KTLA here in South LA. On another issue though, I just wish they would correct whatever it is about the picture on their sub-channels 5-2 and 5-3 (Antenna TV and THIS TV) so that CC data is not visable when I use the 1:1 pixel mapping display option on the TV to remove the overscan.

I have to use a display option that has overscan whenever I tune to either of those sub-channels to hide it, and it's annoyingly been that way for years only with KTLA it seems.

Or at least among the major channels in this market, they're the only station I have this problem with.

post #9867 of 9868 Old Today, 04:29 PM

We live near Los Angeles and Church St. Still Having trouble with KABC. Next step is to install a larger directional antenna
post #9868 of 9868 Old Today, 07:04 PM

Quote:
We live near Los Angeles and Church St. Still Having trouble with KABC. Next step is to install a larger directional antenna
Make sure your antenna receives VHF signals. KABC did not transition to a new UHF frequency with the digital change over. My first antenna, a DB8 by AntennasDirect, did not receive the VHF signals well at all. They have an add-on to bring it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception