Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #9841 of 9852 Old 06-19-2016, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
I think you are right. Frankly, I have, for the most part given up on KOCE, partly because of these issues, and partly because the program content now on KCET has actually somewhat improved IMO, since they broke away from PBS. In any case, the improper formatting of 16:9 video, whether in HD or SD seems inexcusable, and KOCE has had a long history of doing this at times, even though so many other stations, like KCET have gotten it right. I especially hate it when they show a 16:9 HD program letterboxed so that the entire picture can fit inside a 4:3 frame. I suspect that KOCE's technical staff is either inept, just don't care or are nonexistent.
Yeah. ..

The usual pattern I find when stations do HD and get the formatting wrong it's usually a case of "stretch-o-vision" of native 4:3 content to fill out the 16:9 frame instead of properly pillar-boxing the content within it. Yuck ...

And then the far more prevalent case of improper formatting of widescreen SD material by anamorphically squeezing 16:9 content into the 4:3 frame, or "squish-o-vision." Again "yuck" ...

And then as you say, there's the familiar case of SD letterboxing of 16:9 material into a 4:3 frame, which while not technically a formatting error, and acceptable on old analog 4:3 sets. Results in the usual annoying "window-box" image (without zooming in) on a 16:9 HDTV or UHDTV.

And once again, "yuck" ...

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9852 Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know what happened to KLCS? It seems to be completely gone.
post #9843 of 9852 Old 06-22-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.DNA View Post
Anyone know what happened to KLCS? It seems to be completely gone.
Just checked. ...

Still receiving it here in South LA as normal on my OTA TIVO.

The main and it's 3 subchannels ...

post #9844 of 9852 Old 06-22-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Just checked. ...

Still receiving it here in South LA as normal on my OTA TIVO.

Thanks. I haven't checked it this morning (I'm not at home) but was getting zero signal from KLCS at 11PM last night (in Sunland) after being alerted by another OTAer friend in Covina.

update 10:25AM -- friend in Covina says he's still got nothing.

Last edited by Mr.DNA; 06-22-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #9845 of 9852 Old 06-22-2016, 01:16 PM

Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.dna View Post
anyone know what happened to klcs? It seems to be completely gone.
fyi:
Quote:
Viewers….

KLCS suffered a computer failure that normally identifies the station to the home receivers. While we were continually transmitting, many receivers or digital converter boxes were unable to identify the station and display the picture.

This problem has now been repaired and the KLCS data stream is back to normal, and our transmitter at Mt. Wilson is running 100% power. If your receiver still does not tune 58.1, 58.2, etc, then try entering 41.1, 41.2, etc. with the remote control. KLCS is actually transmitting on channel 41, so forcing the receiver to tune there will frequently reprogram the receiver without the lengthy channel scanning process. After that, 58.1 (our virtual channel) should tune properly.

This is a general answer to many viewers reporting the same failure. We are sorry for the inconvenience and you thank you for the contact.

Roger W. Knipp
Chief Operator / Engineer
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Mr.DNA; 06-22-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: formatting
post #9846 of 9852 Old 06-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
But they actually had it right for a long time and now it's wrong. It wasn't something that went bad by itself, somebody had to do it deliberately.
Exactly! After 10 days I FINALLY got a response from someone at KOCE.

Apparently they just changed their on-air encoding (multiplexing?) system to a different vendor and discovered an aspect ratio problem with secondary channels. Oops! The vendors software engineers are 'working on a fix'.

Using the 'stretch' feature of my JVC TV really sucks as it is implemented poorly - lately CE vendors have no shame and no clue!

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: Motorola DCX3200-M (non DVR), ODN v7.3.2_20
post #9847 of 9852 Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post
Exactly! After 10 days I FINALLY got a response from someone at KOCE.

Apparently they just changed their on-air encoding (multiplexing?) system to a different vendor and discovered an aspect ratio problem with secondary channels. Oops! The vendors software engineers are 'working on a fix'.

Using the 'stretch' feature of my JVC TV really sucks as it is implemented poorly - lately CE vendors have no shame and no clue!
Just to note in follow-up ...

"Squish-o-vision" format problem on KOCE's secondary sub-channels apparently fixed glad to see ...

post #9848 of 9852 Old 07-19-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Just to note in follow-up ...

"Squish-o-vision" format problem on KOCE's secondary sub-channels apparently fixed glad to see ...

You are right; all of the KOCE subchannels are currently formatted correctly. Actually, I haven't ever seen "Squish-o-Vision" on KOCE and rather rarely see it elsewhere, for that matter. When I have seen it, it has appeared mainly in commercials, as I recall.

As always, the main problem remains the widespread use of "Stretch-o-Vision" on SD broadcasts, though thankfully, at least not on KOCE.
post #9849 of 9852 Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
KABC Reception

I live in Simi Valley and recently switched to OTA. I am having trouble receiving KABC, Channel 7, particularly at night. During the day, the reception works well with an antenna signal on my Tivo around 65. At around 6pm, every day, the signal drops to as low as 40 and the channel drops out. I have a similar problem with Channel 9, but all other channels work well. I started with the MoHu Sky 60 antenna, and then switched to an RCA directional antenna for VHF and UHF signals. Does anyone know why I can receive signals well in the daytime but not at night and why this is only on channel 7?
post #9850 of 9852 Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarantube View Post
I live in Simi Valley and recently switched to OTA. I am having trouble receiving KABC, Channel 7, particularly at night. During the day, the reception works well with an antenna signal on my Tivo around 65. At around 6pm, every day, the signal drops to as low as 40 and the channel drops out. I have a similar problem with Channel 9, but all other channels work well. I started with the MoHu Sky 60 antenna, and then switched to an RCA directional antenna for VHF and UHF signals. Does anyone know why I can receive signals well in the daytime but not at night and why this is only on channel 7?
I had a similar problem with my TiVo Roamio when it was connected to a 4 bay bow-tie antenna (uhf only) that was indoors.
During the day all channels came in with plenty of sig strength. Soon as the sun went down only 2, 4 & 5 would tune in.
Solution: got a proper out door vhf/uhf antenna and mounted it on the roof.
http://www.frys.com/product/2570051

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #9851 of 9852 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Channel 7 and 9 are high VHF instead of UHF signals. I live in Oxnard and I can bring in both at about 65 - 75 signal strength on my DVR+, but only after I added a "VHF Kit" to my DB4 antenna. I also added an amplifier to boost the signal strength to get to that 65 - 75 strength (they would break up at night without the amplifier). I think VHF is more susceptible to interference from things like CFL light bulbs, etc, if you are using an indoor antenna, so that might be the problem with night time reception. Just a guess!
post #9852 of 9852 Old Today, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
While I always have excellent reception on channels 7 and 9 (and most others), I do have this same problem with KCET, ch. 28. During the day, it puts in a strong, steady signal, but during the early evening hours, it can suddenly pixellate briefly and then disappear. As it turns out, as TVFool shows, KCET's transmitter is situated behind a ridge and thus is not line-of-sight to my location. Atmospheric propagation is, at least in part responsible for reception, but during evening hours, these effects can change and sometimes reception breaks down for a time.

To check your reception of channel 7, you might try http://TVFool.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception