Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 330 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #9871 of 9893 Old 09-03-2016, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I haven't noticed any pixelization with my DVR+, but it only has two tuners not four, like the Tivo. Maybe splitting the signal four ways is making it weak enough that you are getting the issues, but I don't know. I don't really trust my signal strength reading on the DVR+ but it does have it at 62% for KCOP while CBS, NBC, and KTLA are at 97 - 100%.
Ok thanks. .. sign ....

Just like the classics on Fox Movies! and a big Star Trek of all the series now running on H&I. And this sudden pixelization problem is making the channel almost unwatchable now ...

Crap ...

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 9893 Old 09-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Say anyone;

Is KCOP 13-1 and 13-2 completely off the air now?

Only getting 13-3 and 13-4 now all of a sudden on most of the TVs I've checked here ...

post #9873 of 9893 Old 09-05-2016, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Say anyone;

Only getting 13-3 and 13-4 now all of a sudden on most of the TVs I've checked here ...

(8 hours later) I'm getting all the 13s in OC.
post #9874 of 9893 Old 09-06-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpl View Post
(8 hours later) I'm getting all the 13s in OC.
Yeah thanks;

They returned like 5-6 hours ago here and I should have updated my post. Sorry ....

post #9875 of 9893 Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Pixelation on hi-VHF stations

Well, after recording quite a few OTA programs on my DVR+ I am getting pixelation on the hi-VHF stations (7, 9, 11 and 13) with most of it on KTTV 11. Makes watching Fox shows a bit challenging. I'm in north Oxnard in Ventura County, near the border with Ventura. Here's my TV Fool link: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb2ae42b12fc

I have a ChannelMaster Extremetenna 4228HD that has 5db gain on the high VHF band that is better than my older AntennasDirect DB8 with the VHF dipole add on, but it is still lacking. I'm going to build a folded dipole with a reflector for the mid part of the frequency range first and then test from low to high (174 to 216 mhz, so a folded dipole from 24" to 32" wide). IIRC when I did this before with a dipole I got pretty good reception.

Is there any inexpensive way to measure signal gain? I'll be using the signal strength meter on my DVR+ but I don't know how accurate it is.
post #9876 of 9893 Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Boo. No new Simpsons episode tonight on KTTV? Why a Halloween episode?
post #9877 of 9893 Old 10-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Do not see program title on KOCE

When I tune to KOCE, channel 50.x, I don't see the program title. I emailed them about that but I have not received a response.
Is there a specific person I can email to fix this annoying problem. Thanks.
post #9878 of 9893 Old 10-31-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post
When I tune to KOCE, channel 50.x, I don't see the program title. I emailed them about that but I have not received a response.
Is there a specific person I can email to fix this annoying problem. Thanks.
While rather old fashion, I have a lot of surprising good success recently just calling the station and asking to speak with someone in the engineering dept. or area.

Though I have never called KOCE for anything technical, there was some posts awhile back where a poster finally got a response from KOCE's engineering regarding an issue with some of their subchannels shifting from widescreen SD to 16:9 anamorphic (or "squish-o-vision").

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
post #9879 of 9893 Old 11-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I haven't received a signal from channel 13 for at least a couple of weeks. My Tivo shows signal strength in the 30s where 72 is normal. Nothing has changed on my side. Anyone else having problems?

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #9880 of 9893 Old 11-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Don't know if it's related, but a month or so ago, I couldn't get Movies (13.3). At first I thought the channel was just having its own problems, but after it being "gone" for a week or so, I tried tuning to it directly through my TV (bypassing my Tivo). My TV received it fine, but still not my Tivo.

So I went into my tivo settings and rescanned for channels. After that was over, I went back and 13.3 was back to normal. Been fine ever since.

I never bothered to check my signal strengths on that channel, as 13.1, 13.2 and 13.4 were all showing up just fine from the start...
post #9881 of 9893 Old 11-10-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
I haven't received a signal from channel 13 for at least a couple of weeks. My Tivo shows signal strength in the 30s where 72 is normal. Nothing has changed on my side. Anyone else having problems?
Receiving KCOP 13 and all it's subchannels with a "strong signal" here in So. LA on the TIVO Roamio OTA currently 72%.

But I want to emphasize it's only a "strong signal." As unfortunately while strong my KCOP's reception "quality" has not been good at all since late August around the time of the last FW update to prepare for the ROVI guide switchover.

Ever since then KCOP's PQ has really been a mess for me with some kind of nasty glitching apparently causing whole blocks of pixels to drop out or become corrupted resulting in black, or some other random color, horizontal bars flash on the screen as well as audio dropouts frequently along with them.

Tried rescanning the channels, rerunning the entire setup multiple times, switching all cables, moving the rooftop antenna. Even removing the DVR expander I have connected sacrificing almost all my recordings in the process, etc., all to no avail.

TIVO tech support while nice has been no help at all and tries to blame KCOP or my antenna system. However all other ATSC tuners here connected to the same antenna receive it just fine.

Best I can seem to do is hope the SNR stays at or above 29 db where the glitching remains at least bearable.

But if it drops to about 27 db or lower the station is totally unwatchable.

Note: Every time a glitch occurs the "RS Uncorrected Error" count in the diagnostics jumps from around 20 to over 100 points depending on the severity of the glitch.

Very frustrating...

Last edited by HoTatII; 11-10-2016 at 03:40 PM.
post #9882 of 9893 Old 11-10-2016, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I have the Roamio as well. I will rescan (after I note all the channels I have disabled ). Hopefully that will fix the issue. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't related to the Rovi updates.

post #9883 of 9893 Old 11-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_101 View Post
Don't know if it's related, but a month or so ago, I couldn't get Movies (13.3). At first I thought the channel was just having its own problems, but after it being "gone" for a week or so, I tried tuning to it directly through my TV (bypassing my Tivo). My TV received it fine, but still not my Tivo.

So I went into my tivo settings and rescanned for channels. After that was over, I went back and 13.3 was back to normal. Been fine ever since.

I never bothered to check my signal strengths on that channel, as 13.1, 13.2 and 13.4 were all showing up just fine from the start...
What model TIVO do you have and is channel 13 stable after watching it for a while? Notice any glitching (doesn't matter what main or subchannel)?

In the diagnostics menu getting any "RS Uncorrected" errors while tuned to it?

post #9884 of 9893 Old 11-11-2016, 09:47 AM

So I rescanned the channels and there was no change. I then started looking at signal strengths on my other channels. Turns out I have marginal signal strength on 7 and 11, in the low 40s and 13 is in the 30s. 7 and 11 come in but I have been having frequent drop outs on those channels. When I set the system up a year ago those channels had lower signal strength than the UHF channels but it was acceptable.

So it looks like I will be climbing the ladder to try and fine tune the antenna. Perhaps it moved a little over time, I don't know. The antenna I am using was very well regarded for its size but I am on the edge of its effective range. I wasn't sure if we would stay with OTA + streaming so I didn't want to put up a massive antenna but so far we are happy with the outcome. If I need to upgrade the antenna there are several that I think will work and not be huge eyesores

I will report back!

post #9885 of 9893 Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 AM

So a couple of days ago I started getting prepared to climb up and check my antenna. I opened the signal strength meter on my Roamio to get ready and channel 13 was coming in at full strength, as were channels 11 and 7. There was some weirdness on the subchannels on 13. 13-1, 2, and 3 were fine. 13-4 was either showing me a "something wrong with this channel" message or showing what was on 13-1. It was actually flipping back and forth. I let it go and now 13-4 is showing the correct content.

I have no explanation as to what was wrong. I would blame the problem on the stations/towers but no one else reported having any problems. So I guess I will blame it on sun spots for now

post #9886 of 9893 Old 11-18-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
So a couple of days ago I started getting prepared to climb up and check my antenna. I opened the signal strength meter on my Roamio to get ready and channel 13 was coming in at full strength, as were channels 11 and 7. There was some weirdness on the subchannels on 13. 13-1, 2, and 3 were fine. 13-4 was either showing me a "something wrong with this channel" message or showing what was on 13-1. It was actually flipping back and forth. I let it go and now 13-4 is showing the correct content.

I have no explanation as to what was wrong. I would blame the problem on the stations/towers but no one else reported having any problems. So I guess I will blame it on sun spots for now
Hey good, now that you have it back, can you keep an eye on ch. 13 or any of its subchannels for any dropouts or glitching in the picture and sound? And then check under the "RS Uncorrected" error count in the TIVO diagnostics for that subchannel to see of it's increasing and report back?

Or make sure you keep one of your TIVO's tuners on one of the subchannels when you switch away, but again occasionally check the RS Uncorrected count in the diagnostics for the tuner you left on one of ch. 13's subs.?

Thanks ....

post #9887 of 9893 Old 11-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Hey good, now that you have it back, can you keep an eye on ch. 13 or any of its subchannels for any dropouts or glitching in the picture and sound? And then check under the "RS Uncorrected" error count in the TIVO diagnostics for that subchannel to see of it's increasing and report back?

Or make sure you keep one of your TIVO's tuners on one of the subchannels when you switch away, but again occasionally check the RS Uncorrected count in the diagnostics for the tuner you left on one of ch. 13's subs.?

Thanks ....

No problem

post #9888 of 9893 Old 11-24-2016, 01:59 PM

All VHF channels lost in Oxnard!

Well, all of the High VHF channels are no longer coming in for me ... channel 7, 9, 11 and 13 here in Oxnard. I'm thinking I need to get a VHF specific deep fringe antenna to get the signal. I get about 50% signal strength but 0% quality on my DVR+ signal strength. My TV attached directly doesn't get a signal either.
post #9889 of 9893 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Well, all of the High VHF channels are no longer coming in for me ... channel 7, 9, 11 and 13 here in Oxnard. I'm thinking I need to get a VHF specific deep fringe antenna to get the signal. I get about 50% signal strength but 0% quality on my DVR+ signal strength. My TV attached directly doesn't get a signal either.
And ... I'm such a moron. I was searching for a post here that included a deep fringe VHF antenna that worked for someone here locally and a responder to the post mentioned the coax cable. I put the DVR+ on it's signal strength screen and fiddled with the coax attachment and the cable was bad. Swapping out the cable restored reception.

I don't know if the VHF signal is more susceptible to being lost with a bad cable than UHF, but that's what appears to be happening.
rdvegas likes this.
post #9890 of 9893 Old Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
... I don't know if the VHF signal is more susceptible to being lost with a bad cable than UHF, but that's what appears to be happening.
Actually, I rather doubt it. Usually the higher the RF frequency, the greater the attenuation of the signal in the cable. The VHF signals should be less affected by cable deficiencies.
post #9891 of 9893 Old Today, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
Actually, I rather doubt it. Usually the higher the RF frequency, the greater the attenuation of the signal in the cable. The VHF signals should be less affected by cable deficiencies.
Strange that I'm getting the VHF signals dropping out whenever a connection is loose or a cable is kinked, then. I can duplicate the behavior by just loosening the connector.

In any case, I'll try to remember to check the cables before climbing on the roof to replace an antenna ...
post #9892 of 9893 Old Today, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool KOCE, Finally have SAPS

Especially as I am totally blind, I was quite
surprised yesterday, finding SAPs on all KOCE
channels. I have yet to hear any DVS, but seeming each
of their 4 sub-channels have 2 SAPS, but there is no
audio, but for 50.1, but during station promos, its
quiet. This would be a first use of their SAP since
much earlier in an analog era, when they ran a Reading
Service. Thanks in advance from Sherman Oaks
post #9893 of 9893 Old Today, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
It depends on the nature of the "deficiency".

More likely than not, there was a combination of a worn out female connector (very loose) and a too-small center conductor of the "defective" cable. This combination creates, in effect, an air gap capacitor when the metal-to-metal connection is lost. Behaving as a small value capacitor, it's reactance increases as the frequency decreases causing severe attenuation at the lower frequencies. Capacitive reactance formula: Xc= 1/(2*pi*f*C) where f=frequency in Hertz and C=capacitance in Farads.

The alternative is that the "defective" cable was poorly shielded and strong local signals, probably from other indoor electronics, were getting into the coax and causing interference inside the tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception