Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 334 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #9991 of 10009 Old 02-01-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Los Angeles, CA - OTA

Rancho Cucamonga 5pm 2/1/17 CBS is back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10009 Old 02-01-2017, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
As of this evening, KCBS-DT 2-1 and 2-2 are back for me in Monrovia...at long last!
GPowers likes this.
post #9993 of 10009 Old 02-03-2017, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post
Yes, the cables will be zip tied as soon as I'm completely done experimenting.

It's strange that KCBS is UHF, yet KCAL is still H-VHF. Both are the same parent company but I suppose the lower frequencies give them farther coverage.
Albeit KNBC, which is UHF, has always been very strong in my area even with a smaller antenna...

Are they using some sort of repeaters on say Mt. Baldy to get their signals to the inland empire?
Not that strange, low VHF is considered unusable in many large cities. That's why channels 2 thru 5 in L.A. are actually broadcast on UHF. It's just coincidence that CBS owns a second station on high VHF (channel 9). In lot of areas the signal for channel 9 may be easier to get and less prone to multi-path.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."

post #9994 of 10009 Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Not that strange, low VHF is considered unusable in many large cities. That's why channels 2 thru 5 in L.A. are actually broadcast on UHF. It's just coincidence that CBS owns a second station on high VHF (channel 9). In lot of areas the signal for channel 9 may be easier to get and less prone to multi-path.
Thanks for the info.
So far my setup has not lost any stations even in 40F degree temps.

I hate to think what's going to happen when the FCC auctions off the TV frequencies to the cell phone cos. for 4G LTE.

I know Europe and Australia seem to use more LTE filters than here in the US.

Large HD8200XL antenna with HDB91X and RCA preamp
,aimed at Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles) from Etiwanda area.
CM3410 Dist. amp in attic for a 5 room hookup.
Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
post #9995 of 10009 Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Still trying to come up with the best solution here for DVR'ing OTA...

For some reason I have to keep no less than 20 db of attenuation on the antenna lead in to my Roamio OTA to prevent intermittent breakup particularly on RF ch. 13 (KCOP). But then this amount of attenuation causes my UHF channel levels to suffer.

And whenever it rains like this the UHF channels "really" go down to the point of many totally unusable now. So I have to remove the attenuator when it rains which brings the interference to RF ch. 13 back .

Gurrrr ...

Going to try separating the UHF band from the VHF with a UVSJ and then recombine them with the 20 db attenuator only on the VHF side before feeding into the TIVO to see if that will do the trick. This will still make low power KFLA on RF ch. 8 unusable, but I've never really cared about them anyway. And someone on another forum suggested an FM band trap filter, if per chance a strong FM station(s) might be causing the issue.

Wouldn't mind it so much as I can receive the main channel 13-1 from DIRECTV. But it's the loss of the subchannels 13-3 FOX Movies!, 13-4 H&I, and now 11-3 LIGHTtv (don't care about 13-2 Buzzr) which also broadcast from RF 13 is what hurts.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
post #9996 of 10009 Old 02-05-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Still trying to come up with the best solution here for DVR'ing OTA...
For some reason I have to keep no less than 20 db of attenuation on the antenna lead in to my Roamio OTA to prevent intermittent breakup particularly on RF ch. 13 (KCOP). But then this amount of attenuation causes my UHF channel levels to suffer.
And whenever it rains like this the UHF channels "really" go down to the point of many totally unusable now. So I have to remove the attenuator when it rains which brings the interference to RF ch. 13 back .
Gurrrr ...

Going to try separating the UHF band from the VHF with a UVSJ and then recombine them with the 20 db attenuator only on the VHF side before feeding into the TIVO to see if that will do the trick. This will still make low power KFLA on RF ch. 8 unusable, but I've never really cared about them anyway. And someone on another forum suggested an FM band trap filter, if per chance a strong FM station(s) might be causing the issue.

Wouldn't mind it so much as I can receive the main channel 13-1 from DIRECTV. But it's the loss of the subchannels 13-3 FOX Movies!, 13-4 H&I, and now 11-3 LIGHTtv (don't care about 13-2 Buzzr) which also broadcast from RF 13 is what hurts.
Are you using 2 different antennas?

Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
post #9997 of 10009 Old 02-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Are you using 2 different antennas?
Nah ...

Combo antenna, a Winegard HD7697P VHF-hi/UHF directional.

Update: My UVSJ band separation-then-recombination idea appeared to work with 20 db attenuation only on the VHF side (only VHF-hi band signals from this antenna). UHF levels came back to normal and interference to VHF KCOP-13 is gone.

But then noticed UHF KFTR-46 is coming in very strong and also apparently overloading the TIVO's tuners with the same type of intermittent A/V breakup and climbing RS Uncorrected error count. Though not as bad as with KCOP-13.

So on a hunch hoping something much less than 20 db attenuation like on the VHF side would work on the UHF and until I order another 0-20 db variable attenuator, I temporarily placed a DIRECTV 1 x 8 SWM splitter on the UHF side which is the equivalent to adding about a 10 db attenuator and the interference is now gone from KFTR-46.

Whew ... so to sum up 20 db attenuation is on the VHF band and 10 db is on the UHF and all is now well ("so far").

And also behind the TIVO OTA it now looks like a "coaxial nightmare."

post #9998 of 10009 Old 02-05-2017, 10:07 AM

And wouldn't mind losing KFTR-46 since I don't speak Spanish and even if I did DIRECTV carries the main 46-1.

But as with KCOP-13, I it's the subchannels 46-2 getTV, 46-3 ESCAPE, and 46-4 GRIT TV that I lose as well.

post #9999 of 10009 Old 02-05-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
And wouldn't mind losing KFTR-46 since I don't speak Spanish and even if I did DIRECTV carries the main 46-1.

But as with KCOP-13, I it's the subchannels 46-2 getTV, 46-3 ESCAPE, and 46-4 GRIT TV that I lose as well.

I had figured a better setup for mine using the larger antenna for H-VHF and the smaller antenna for UHF because the UHF gets a higher db than the VHF antenna and the UHF antenna doesn't pick up the H-VHF signals very far from Mt. Wilson. (see pic)

It's still a work in progress and I'm waiting for my better quality VHF/UHF combiner this week.
I'm still getting some station drops AFTER the sun goes down and it's cold outside.
Either that or it's the neighbors solar panels' inverter kicking in....I just do not know what the hell it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170131_092321.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1946313  

post #10000 of 10009 Old 02-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I had figured a better setup for mine using the larger antenna for H-VHF and the smaller antenna for UHF because the UHF gets a higher db than the VHF antenna and the UHF antenna doesn't pick up the H-VHF signals very far from Mt. Wilson. (see pic)

It's still a work in progress and I'm waiting for my better quality VHF/UHF combiner this week.
I'm still getting some station drops AFTER the sun goes down and it's cold outside.
Either that or it's the neighbors solar panels' inverter kicking in....I just do not know what the hell it is...
I'm in Rancho too. Your setup looks close to mine. I have an older 91XG and a VHF antenna someone upstream recommended to me. I use a cheap combiner recommended by a tech at Solid Signal where I purchased my antennas from. The cables running from the antenna to the combiner need to be the same length. Those all feed into a powered booster under the eve where mine is installed. My reception on all available channels is perfect. And the only drop outs I've experienced where due to station failures and the wind moving my antenna. I think if you are below Baseline reception shouldn't be an issue with the proper equipment, but ymmv the higher north you get.

I do a lot of DVR'ing as well. I use the cheap one recommended in this thread with great results and a lot of flexibly. iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

Last edited by SD73; 02-06-2017 at 01:10 PM.
post #10001 of 10009 Old 02-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
I'm in Rancho too. Your setup looks close to mine. I have an older 91XG and a VHF antenna someone upstream recommended to me. I use a cheap combiner recommended by a tech at Solid Signal where I purchased my antennas from. The cables running from the antenna to the combiner need to be the same length. Those all feed into a powered booster under the eve where mine is installed. My reception on all available channels is perfect. And the only drop outs I've experienced where due to station failures and the wind moving my antenna. I think if you are below Baseline reception shouldn't be an issue with the proper equipment, but ymmv the higher north you get.

I do a lot of DVR'ing as well. I use the cheap one recommended in this thread with great results and a lot of flexibly. iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread
Unfortunately I live pretty close to the foothills, so the signal is very poor...

The DVR box I use is 2 Magnavox' MDR-515H, and I use, for signal tweaking, the RCA DTA880 box.
The Magnavox' are SD, the RCA is HD.

Last edited by Jerrymc777; 02-06-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: forgot
post #10002 of 10009 Old 02-11-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So just an update. I put up a Winegard HD7694P to replace the smaller yagi I had been using. My VHF signal strengths increased by a couple of points, but not enough to get them in clearly. I had been mounting to the short mast from my Directv dish, about 12 inches above my roof. As part of trying to fine tune I had an idea and raised the antenna by hand about a foot. My signal strength went from low 30's to mid 50's. Today I was able to put up a longer mast and mount the Winegard to it about 18 inches higher. 7.1 is now 50, 11.1 is 52-55, and 13.1 is 60. As a reminder 72 is full strength. All are coming in clear now. I could go higher but I'm trying to keep my setup as low profile as possible to maintain the looks of our community.

So I'm crossing my fingers that the problem has been resolved!

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #10003 of 10009 Old 02-11-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
So just an update. I put up a Winegard HD7694P to replace the smaller yagi I had been using. My VHF signal strengths increased by a couple of points, but not enough to get them in clearly. I had been mounting to the short mast from my Directv dish, about 12 inches above my roof. As part of trying to fine tune I had an idea and raised the antenna by hand about a foot. My signal strength went from low 30's to mid 50's. Today I was able to put up a longer mast and mount the Winegard to it about 18 inches higher. 7.1 is now 50, 11.1 is 52-55, and 13.1 is 60. As a reminder 72 is full strength. All are coming in clear now. I could go higher but I'm trying to keep my setup as low profile as possible to maintain the looks of our community.

Yeah ...

Got an HD7697P here myself ...

But the problem I have with the TIVO Roamio OTA is if those levels only in 50s are on a clear day like that, then when it rains like what we're having alot lately, the signal really goes into the crapper.

With a seemingly faster rate of decline than if had I started out with clear day levels at the max. 72% or with the high 60's reading of 67%.

post #10004 of 10009 Old 02-11-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:

I did not see your previous posts...
What is your setup? Are you using any type of pre-amp?

post #10005 of 10009 Old 02-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I did not see your previous posts...
What is your setup? Are you using any type of pre-amp?
No pre-amp. I have a Roamio Basic. My previous antenna was an RCA ANT751. I am about 40 miles from the towers in western Riverside.

post #10006 of 10009 Old 02-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
No pre-amp. I have a Roamio Basic. My previous antenna was an RCA ANT751. I am about 40 miles from the towers in western Riverside.
The RCA ANT751 was my first antenna. I could only receive KVCR without the preamp.
After I installed the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp, I got TONS more stations from Mt. Wilson.

post #10007 of 10009 Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The RCA ANT751 was my first antenna. I could only receive KVCR without the preamp.
After I installed the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp, I got TONS more stations from Mt. Wilson.
I'm pretty sure the RCA wasn't the problem, as it worked fine when I first installed it, and the Winegard in the same spot was only a marginal improvement. Just along the line of sight from the antenna to Mt. Wilson there have been some new office/warehouse buildings put up. These are well below the line of sight, but I wonder now if I was getting a funny bounce on the VHF that now is blocked.

I haven't tried a preamp because the cable run to my TiVo is only about 30'. For the price of that preamp though it probably won't hurt to try it.

post #10008 of 10009 Old 02-12-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the RCA wasn't the problem, as it worked fine when I first installed it, and the Winegard in the same spot was only a marginal improvement. Just along the line of sight from the antenna to Mt. Wilson there have been some new office/warehouse buildings put up. These are well below the line of sight, but I wonder now if I was getting a funny bounce on the VHF that now is blocked.

I haven't tried a preamp because the cable run to my TiVo is only about 30'. For the price of that preamp though it probably won't hurt to try it.
Interesting about the new buildings near you.

My next door neighbor added on to his home in his backyard; pretty much covered his entire backyard all the way to the slope and his back wall. It's below the line view of my antenna pointing at Mt. Wilson, but I DID notice a drop in signal on H-VHF channels.

My only guess is the signal must bounce off the ground better than a concrete tile roof...???

post #10009 of 10009 Old Today, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah ...

Got an HD7697P here myself ...

But the problem I have with the TIVO Roamio OTA is if those levels only in 50s are on a clear day like that, then when it rains like what we're having alot lately, the signal really goes into the crapper.

With a seemingly faster rate of decline than if had I started out with clear day levels at the max. 72% or with the high 60's reading of 67%.

It's pouring rain here now. 7.1 is at 52, 11.1 is 47, and 13.1 is 52, so thankfully (so far) the rain isn't dropping the signal too much. Keeping my fingers crossed though .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
ch 2.1 , ch 43.1 , grand wega , kcbs , pasadena ca