Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 337 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes

post #10081 of 10084 Old 07-03-2017, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Apparently KSCI was never a big money-maker. They even declared bankrupcty in 2012. Looks like what the owners did was sell a big chunk of their spectrum in that big wireless auction. What is left will eventually be either 3 or 5 subchannels as compared to the current 12. Before, the main channel 18.1 was divided among various ethnicities throught the day. Now, almost everything on that main channel is gone and replaced with infomercials.

Looks like the only non-infomerical programming left on 18.1 is the evening Korean block. In fact, all the Korean subchannels are still there as well as the Armenian one. Not sure why all the Korean stuff was left intact. Maybe KSCI is getting a decent chunk of change from these guys or they could not break the contract immediately.

As far as the main KSCI 18.1 goes, that channel has been showing variouis Asian programs for 30 years. I would have thought there would have been a bigger reaction to the news as opposed to almost none. I guess TV and radio ain't what it used to be as nowadays you can get plenty of video and audio entertainment on the interwebs for "free".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10084 Old 07-08-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post
Apparently KSCI was never a big money-maker. They even declared bankrupcty in 2012. Looks like what the owners did was sell a big chunk of their spectrum in that big wireless auction. What is left will eventually be either 3 or 5 subchannels as compared to the current 12. Before, the main channel 18.1 was divided among various ethnicities throught the day. Now, almost everything on that main channel is gone and replaced with infomercials.

Looks like the only non-infomerical programming left on 18.1 is the evening Korean block. In fact, all the Korean subchannels are still there as well as the Armenian one. Not sure why all the Korean stuff was left intact. Maybe KSCI is getting a decent chunk of change from these guys or they could not break the contract immediately.

As far as the main KSCI 18.1 goes, that channel has been showing variouis Asian programs for 30 years. I would have thought there would have been a bigger reaction to the news as opposed to almost none. I guess TV and radio ain't what it used to be as nowadays you can get plenty of video and audio entertainment on the interwebs for "free".
And there is foreign language cable, and satellite. maybe if more people really used OTA more people would be upset. Losing diversity of over the air programming just marches OTA to more re-cyled junk.
BondiBluey likes this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #10083 of 10084 Old 07-09-2017, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I sort of doubt cable or satellite had much impact on KSCI changing. Despite people thinking that cable tv is a ripoff because the providers throw tons of non-English channels into the basic packages, foreign language stuff is usually in a optional tier that costs roughly what is being charged for premium channels. While there are probably some people who subscribe just because the Asian content is better than KSCI's, I do not believe the numbers are that high.

These OTA channel owners probably do not care much about diversity. It is not like they are program directors trying to put out the most entertaining programming or are trying to satisfy a need for the community. All they care about how much they are getting paid to lease out their channels.

That being said, there are so many OTA sub-channels that I wonder if anybody makes money from them since we are in an era of instant gratification via on-demand online content. Between Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese, there must be 20-25 channels. The population of those ethnicities in SoCal does not seem to be large enough to support every one of those sub-channels.

post #10084 of 10084 Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My wife who is Chinese (I am not) never watched KSCI much as it was mostly Mandarin and focused on mainland culture. Although my wife speaks Mandarin she prefers the Cantonese programming from Hong Kong. We pay Dish $29.95 a month for the Cantonese TVB channels from Hong Kong. Those Hong Kong channels have much of their commercials replaced with Southern California products and the news programming is replaced with USA news. This requires very little actual programming to broadcast them.

I suspect the cost of similar interesting programming from KSCI would be too expensive for the market to justify. On Dish she watches many Hong Kong soap operas plus the USA news.

Rick R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
ch 2.1 , ch 43.1 , grand wega , kcbs , pasadena ca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page