Champaign, IL - HDTV - Page 155 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4621 of 4970 Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone watched WEIU-HD lately, PBS station for EIU. It is channel 915 on Comcast HD. This station is doing something no other station in the area is doing. WEIU is broadcasting their local programs in HD, including their weather broadcasts and even some movies they show at 10:00 pm. I was very surprised to see this from a small PBS affiliate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4970 Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Milton View Post

Has anyone watched WEIU-HD lately, PBS station for EIU. It is channel 915 on Comcast HD. This station is doing something no other station in the area is doing. WEIU is broadcasting their local programs in HD, including their weather broadcasts and even some movies they show at 10:00 pm. I was very surprised to see this from a small PBS affiliate.

WOW, I'm surprised too - thank you much for this info! I was going to ask you if you were sure it was, because it's been on 915 (which of course is in the HD block) & all this time it has NOT been in HD. I know this because my SD digital converter would tune a picture to it, as well as WCFN-918. Well obviously, it NO longer will tune 915...

WEIU even finally updated their website to reflect this now:

http://www.weiu.net/

Now, if only DirecTV will broadcast it now in HD, since all the other HD locals are up in HD as well...
post #4623 of 4970 Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 AM

Liked: 11
Is the CW up in HD on D* now?
post #4624 of 4970 Old 04-08-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msajeff View Post

Is the CW up in HD on D* now?

Yup.
post #4625 of 4970 Old 04-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Thank goodness. Guess it's time to move back.
post #4626 of 4970 Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM

I got my letter from Comcast a few weeks ago as to their supposed upgrade and offer of one free digital box and two free digital adapters.

1. They did not mention whether these devices were for your digital/HD tv or your analog tv. They used phases like primary and other tv's.

2. They offered no explanation as to why after 30 years of viewing analog tv with no box that now you need a digtal box for your digital/HD tv after they have eliminated the analog signal. Sounds like a technological downgrade to me. The real answer is that they have decided to block the expanded basic channels that we have been getting for 30 years unless you get a Comcast box and thereby force you to have on demand capability whether you want it or not.

3. They do not mention whether your tv remote will work the cable box or whether you will need a Comcast remote for either the digital box or digtial adapter. I'm guessing I will have to use their remote which will eliminate fast and easy channel surfing.

4. They did infer that you will be getting digtal picture and sound on your analog tv with the digital adapter. I guess I am an amateur at this as I did not think that was possible on an analog tv.

5. One person on this board, I think it was Dishrich, indicated that you don't want to put the digital adapter on your HD tv or you will lose your HD reception for the local stations (WCIA, WICS, WRSP, WAND, PBS, and WBUI). From his remarks I assume I will not lose my HD reception with these local stations if I use a digital box but I am not sure.

6. I do wonder if my digital DVD player and my analog DVD player will still be able to record programs if they are connected to a Comcast digtial box and digital adapter, respectively. Does anybody know? Also, would my digital DVD player be able to record programs if it is connected to a Comcast HD receiver?
post #4627 of 4970 Old 05-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Has anyone else been getting annoying marketing calls from Comcast? They try to mask it as a "service inquiry" but it devolves into a sales pitch. The bastards called/hung up 3 days in a row before they actually said something after I picked up. The guy went into his script and from googling the number I knew where it was going....the minute he shifted into sales I said "not interested" and hung up. Is Crapcast really getting that desperate for customers that they're using telemarketing tactics?
post #4628 of 4970 Old 06-11-2010, 08:20 PM

I heard mention of "going HD" on WAND yesterday. I am assuming this means HD news.. Did i hear this right? Anyone heard any details about this?

Dr.
post #4629 of 4970 Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhighdef View Post

I got my letter from Comcast a few weeks ago as to their supposed upgrade and offer of one free digital box and two free digital adapters.

1. They did not mention whether these devices were for your digital/HD tv or your analog tv. They used phases like primary and other tv's.

2. They offered no explanation as to why after 30 years of viewing analog tv with no box that now you need a digtal box for your digital/HD tv after they have eliminated the analog signal. Sounds like a technological downgrade to me. The real answer is that they have decided to block the expanded basic channels that we have been getting for 30 years unless you get a Comcast box and thereby force you to have on demand capability whether you want it or not.

3. They do not mention whether your tv remote will work the cable box or whether you will need a Comcast remote for either the digital box or digtial adapter. I'm guessing I will have to use their remote which will eliminate fast and easy channel surfing.

4. They did infer that you will be getting digtal picture and sound on your analog tv with the digital adapter. I guess I am an amateur at this as I did not think that was possible on an analog tv.

5. One person on this board, I think it was Dishrich, indicated that you don't want to put the digital adapter on your HD tv or you will lose your HD reception for the local stations (WCIA, WICS, WRSP, WAND, PBS, and WBUI). From his remarks I assume I will not lose my HD reception with these local stations if I use a digital box but I am not sure.

6a. I do wonder if my digital DVD player and my analog DVD player will still be able to record programs if they are connected to a Comcast digtial box and digital adapter, respectively. Does anybody know? 6b. Also, would my digital DVD player be able to record programs if it is connected to a Comcast HD receiver?

Hi Jim,

From afar 60 miles west of CHicago, I think I can still answer your questions.

1. You can put them on your HDTV or SDTV. Doesn't matter. It uses coax out to your TV.

2. It's an upgrade. No more snow. Much more consistent audio, video levels more uniform. Analog frequently had problems with individual channels. Not so much with digital, unless signal levels are way off.

3. Some remotes work with this DTA. From this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r220...to-Control-DTA

The following universal remotes work:

Logitech Harmony ONE
Logitech Harmony 1000
Philips Pronto
One for All 8820
Radio Shack (15-135)

But it's tough to get them to work with the box. And I have heard the DTA's change channels s l o w l y.

4. In the strictest sense, even if it is 1080p, it's always analog to your eyes.
But what they mean is that the transmission format to your residence is digital instead of analog. Theoretically, that should make for a better picture.

5. You can only use RF cable. So, if you had an antenna hooked up to your HDTV, you'd either have to choose between cable or antenna. You could get an A/B switch to change between the two, but that's a hassle.

6a. If you plug the RF cable into the DVD player, you should be able to; then run composite cable to your HDTV.
6b. No, because that video format is incompatible with standard definition DV players/recorders.

Gilbert
post #4630 of 4970 Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_EluSivE View Post

I heard mention of "going HD" on WAND yesterday. I am assuming this means HD news.. Did i hear this right? Anyone heard any details about this?

Dr.

I hadn't heard that, but they have usually been ahead of the other locals in adapting the new technologies. Besides the news in HD this also means that syndicated shows will be shown in HD, like The Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, to name a few.

Did you know that WEIU, the PBS station in Charleston is broadcasting their news and local shows in HD? Surprisingly they are the first local station in our area to go HD for local broadcasts. They actually started local broadcasts in HD a couple of months ago. I'm not sure what their digital channel is. Their analog channel was 51, and is available in HD on Comcast at 915.
post #4631 of 4970 Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

5. If you connect the DTA using composite cables to your TV, you are fine.
If you use RF cable, then, if you had an antenna hooked up to your HDTV, you'd either have to choose between cable or antenna. You could get an A/B switch to change between the two, but that's a hassle.

Sorry, NONE of the CC DTA's have composite A/V out, ONLY RF 3/4 - he'll have to do the A/B switch-splitter (unless his TV happens to have 2 RF inputs, which pretty much none of them do nowadays)
post #4632 of 4970 Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

WAND is planning to broadcast local programming in HD on July 1, 2010. I have noticed that WCIA is remodeling their news center. Have they announced that they will be broadcasting local stuff in HD then?
post #4633 of 4970 Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Sorry, NONE of the CC DTA's have composite A/V out, ONLY RF 3/4 - he'll have to do the A/B switch-splitter (unless his TV happens to have 2 RF inputs, which pretty much none of them do nowadays)

Lovely. OK, I take that back. Yes, A-B it will have to be.

Gilbert
post #4634 of 4970 Old 06-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Just got rid of D* and I am using Media Center to receive the QAM channels. Getting quite a few channels and all is looking good EXCEPT WCIA is in standard def??? Can anyone shed any light on this??? Even the guide data that has come indicates SD. This could be a bummer.

I am on Cass communications if that matters...

Thanks

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #4635 of 4970 Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Are you paying for expanded basic TV service from Cass? If not, they may have a trap on your line that's blocking whatever freq WCIA-HD is on. (I know it's carried on their systems just like the ABC, NBC, etc HD locals)
Have you tried a QAM TV tuner to see if it comes in on it? Are you looking at EVERY possible QAM# that comes in - they may NOT have the PSIP mapping set up correctly. (Comcast here has had several issues on PSIP mapping on some of our QAM HD locals from time to time...)
post #4636 of 4970 Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Are you paying for expanded basic TV service from Cass? If not, they may have a trap on your line that's blocking whatever freq WCIA-HD is on. (I know it's carried on their systems just like the ABC, NBC, etc HD locals)
Have you tried a QAM TV tuner to see if it comes in on it? Are you looking at EVERY possible QAM# that comes in - they may NOT have the PSIP mapping set up correctly. (Comcast here has had several issues on PSIP mapping on some of our QAM HD locals from time to time...)

Nope...not paying for expanded basic (but I do have a cable modem sub). Great idea on the QAM TV tuner. I see CBS from a QAM TV tuner on 68-8 but I can't see this channel through Media Center. Weird....

I have looked through the 160 channels with no luck. What is *very* weird is the CBS channel that I am picking up through my Media Center PC that is not in HD is from Quincy. The one off my TV QAM is the Champaign CBS I would expect.

All my other channels I pick up Fox, NBC, ABC, FOX, and others like ESPN all are coming i nin HD. Now if I can only get CBS in HD.....

Thanks

post #4637 of 4970 Old 06-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post

Nope...not paying for expanded basic (but I do have a cable modem sub).

Well are you still getting analog expanded basic service? If not, then you most definitely are trapped, & possibly WCIA-HD is in the range of the trap.

Quote:

What is *very* weird is the CBS channel that I am picking up through my Media Center PC that is not in HD is from Quincy.

The Cass Virgina headend stopped carrying CBS & NBC from Quincy in analog some time ago, but DOES still carry them in SD digital only. (it's right on their channel lineup sheets)

http://home.casscomm.com/media/chann...25018PM245.pdf

Quote:

The one off my TV QAM is the Champaign CBS I would expect.

Well since your system does ADS, you should see both a digital SD AND an HD version of it, & normally neither should be encrypted. Could still be a trap issue.

Quote:

All my other channels I pick up Fox, NBC, ABC, FOX, and others like ESPN all are coming i nin HD. Now if I can only get CBS in HD.....

I'm actually surprised you're getting HD cable stations like ESPN, which means obviously they are NOT encrypted - pretty rare for a cable system to NOT encrypt something like this.
post #4638 of 4970 Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the in-depth replies Rich....

I feel very lucky for the channels that I do get. The only thing I don't understand is that my scans from my QAM TV show the Champaign CBS in its full glory but from the tuner card/WMC I cannot get this channel??? That is the only bummer. Very strange....

post #4639 of 4970 Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

WAND, Decatur, just started broadcasting their local news in HD, today, June 26th. They originally were scheduled to start on Thursday, July 1, but started with the 6:00 pm news tonight.
post #4640 of 4970 Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:

WAND, Decatur, just started broadcasting their local news in HD, today, June 26th. They originally were scheduled to start on Thursday, July 1, but started with the 6:00 pm news tonight.

No matter how great their picture is, it won't improve their reporting. And now we get to see their stupid 3d weather in more vibrant colors. When storms hit the area, their people can get an even bigger weather woody now. Kudos to WCIA for their new set however
post #4641 of 4970 Old 06-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh8668 View Post

No matter how great their picture is, it won't improve their reporting. And now we get to see their stupid 3d weather in more vibrant colors. When storms hit the area, their people can get an even bigger weather woody now. Kudos to WCIA for their new set however

Yes, I also think WAND stays on the air way too long when they interrupt programming to report severe weather. I swear they are going to come on the air and say -- "There is no severe weather in the area, but we are going to stay here until we find some."

I also like WCIA's new studio, but I wish they would start broadcasting their news in HD. It would even look better.
post #4642 of 4970 Old 06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

I also like WCIA's new studio, but I wish they would start broadcasting their news in HD. It would even look better.

Don't keep your hopes up. Nexstar recently had to completely rebuild KSNF in Joplin, MO due to the tower falling on the building, and did not opt to go HD. If they won't do it on a completely new installation, I personally wouldn't hold out much hope of them swapping out gear in places it's not necessary.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4643 of 4970 Old 06-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Don't keep your hopes up. Nexstar recently had to completely rebuild KSNF in Joplin, MO due to the tower falling on the building, and did not opt to go HD. If they won't do it on a completely new installation, I personally wouldn't hold out much hope of them swapping out gear in places it's not necessary.
- Trip

I realize my hope is probably just wishful thinking. Of the four or five local stations, WCIA was the last station to broadcast in HD. As long as the ratings and revenues continue, I don't see WCIA going HD locally for a long time.
post #4644 of 4970 Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM

WCIA is the only local station worth a damn. So does HD make the weekend weather twit any more (un)bearable? WAND needs to clean house. Their weekday anchor comes across as a moron, the weekend weather chick looks like she just staggered in from a frat party, and the production values are worse than most of what you see in far northern WI.

They ought to have a term limit on people here....if you're not the best in the area and have been on the air here longer than 5 years, it's time to move on down the line and let someone else have a shot. Dave Benton was one of those guys who was in Wausau, WI and then moved up to this market and is perfect here. On the other hand, the WAND weekday guy is as bad as the weekend anchor in Rhinelander, WI.
post #4645 of 4970 Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

have you noticed if they are relaying any syndicated programming that is in HD in actual HD yet? that really is more important than local HD
post #4646 of 4970 Old 07-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmooregottapee View Post

have you noticed if they are relaying any syndicated programming that is in HD in actual HD yet? that really is more important than local HD

They haven't been showing any syndicated shows in HD yet. I too think that is more important. When WEIU in Charleston started broadcasting their news in HD, they also started showing all their local programming in HD, as well.
post #4647 of 4970 Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM

Happened to catch the news on Saturday night. Fairly impressive PQ...it reminds me of what I'd expect from a high school broadcast if their studio was given HD equipment. The stretchorama reports were brutal. You'd think they could at least go to Best Buy and grab a couple HD camcorders until they got real equipment.

Weather report wasn't too bad either. Looks like she may have been handicapped by the 80s graphics they had before the upgrade. Now if they could just find a way to fill the more noticable gap on the anchor...
post #4648 of 4970 Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM

I currently built an HTPC and I've noticed that the audio is off by between a .5-1 second for WICDDT. All other channels are working fine. Is anyone else experiencing this or ever experienced this? If you have, how did you solve it?

What other info would you need to help diagnose what's going on?
post #4649 of 4970 Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 PM

WICD-DT was OK....the problem was with WCCU-DT, 27.1 earlier on Monday, 7-26. It's since been corrected.
post #4650 of 4970 Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Any word on if the station is going to get it's act together and finally simulcast the Bears preseason games in HD?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page