Champaign, IL - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4962 Old 02-08-2004, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mt. Zion will be harder for WCIA than Decatur and much harder for WCFN.

A quad bowtie is worth a try if you can return it. You better avoid
a preamp like the plague, since you are so very close to WAND and WBUI.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4962 Old 02-08-2004, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the preamp, Doug. I've always appreciated your knowledge. I have read your posts over at *************** over the last couple of years.

Brian
post #453 of 4962 Old 02-09-2004, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BSphar
Thanks for the heads-up on the preamp, Doug. I've always appreciated your knowledge. I have read your posts over at *************** over the last couple of years.

Brian

No you haven't ... I don't think I ever posted anything over at that web site.
MAybe once or twice.

Doug McDonald
post #454 of 4962 Old 02-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone heard anything lately from WMBD in Peoria??? I am in no man's land. I am near Springfield and I received the waiver from E* for CBS but I want it in HD without putting up a Superdish.

T

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #455 of 4962 Old 02-17-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thumperxr69
Has anyone heard anything lately from WMBD in Peoria??? I am in no man's land. I am near Springfield and I received the waiver from E* for CBS but I want it in HD without putting up a Superdish.

T

If you have the distant network feed now, i.e. East coast or West coast CBS (including Chicago/Denver) feed, then the HD feed is available too. Try calling and ask for advanced tech support. It's at no cost. I was in SPI and received the waiver with no problems and asked for the HD feed also with no problems. But this was before superdish, so I don't know if they somehow force you to only take superdish. CBS HD is only available on 62.5 or 148 sat. So you will need to get a switch and a 18" dish. (Now called Dish 300) There is a dish dealer (I assume he is still there) on Stevenson Drive on the north side of the street near the Bunn factory, between 6th street and Lake Shore. It's been more then a year since I lived there. I bought a mount from him for $5, he had 10 of them, more then he cared. So I suspect he has tons of 18" dishes from all the Dish 500's going in. You can't miss it; it's got a C-band dish on the side of building and 3 smaller 18" dishes mounted on the sign up front on the street.

Channel 3 should grant any requests for distant network in and near SPI. The grade B contour falls just short of Springfield about ten miles to the east. So if you are in lets say Mechanicsburg then the request might not be granted, and surly if you are in Decatur it would get denied. 3's transmitter on 49 WCFN switched to UPN and thus made SPI and surrounding area a "white area" that CBS does not cover. Enabling distant network as an option. With only local cable co.'s getting 3 and also on the DTV transmitter at WCFN TX site. It simulcasts both UPN and 3 in 480i. It's cute, but I would expect most people here would want HD. But I don't see that happening any time soon with Nextstar owning them. They have similar notions about DTV as Sinclair. But it seems Sinclair my actually fork up the money to put HD onto 20 and 15. They certainly are going to make sure you can receive the signal; most Sinclair's have bought full power transmitters for DTV. Both 20 and 15's small signal will soon be boosted by the end of the summer.
post #456 of 4962 Old 02-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Just before the Superbowl there was a post saying the GM of WCIA was freely giving waivers to allow Champaign residents to get CBS-HD feeds from DISH or DirecTV. Has anyone here obtained such a waiver? Did you go through WCIA or let the satellite provider apply for the waiver?

Thanks,
MIKE

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #457 of 4962 Old 02-18-2004, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mraub
Did you go through WCIA or let the satellite provider apply for the waiver?

Thanks,
MIKE

I went through Dish, I never had to call WCIA. But at the time, channel 3 said it was granting all requests to viewers in and around Springfield. This was about 1.5 years ago. So Superdish was not at all available or on the horizon. They were granting distant network feeds of CBS. With of course the result being, I then qualified for CBS HD too. There is no "HD waiver", you have to qualify for one of the 4 O&O feeds that Dishnetwork provides. So if you live in Chicago, you can have CBS-HD from New York or L.A. via dish because WBBM is an O&O. Or better, if you lived in Denver. You could get the HD feed from the sat, while KCNC battles local NIMBY's about their tower. (Still not on the air with DTV, other then low power downtown) So, find out if you qualify for a distant network feed.
post #458 of 4962 Old 02-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is no "HD waiver", you have to qualify for one of the 4 O&O feeds that Dishnetwork provides

I guess that is technically correct, though I'm not really interested in distant networks in SD.

Since Springfield does not receive any CBS broadcasts OTA, they are in a different situation than residents of Champaign-Urbana. I wonder if any CU viewers have tried to get the waiver from WCIA and how they went about that.

Thanks,

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #459 of 4962 Old 02-22-2004, 10:34 AM

I was wondering if anyone else was not able to receive WRSPDT and WICSDT today (2/22/04). I show a 0% signal strength. I know they both are on the same tower out there near mechanisburgh....that seems like a weird conincident.
post #460 of 4962 Old 02-22-2004, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

About 8 am WRSP was normal. WICS is far too low power
for us here in Champaign.

Doug McDonald
post #461 of 4962 Old 02-22-2004, 10:49 AM

WRSP-DT suffered a critical problem Sunday morning and will be off the air until a manufacturer representative can come out to inspect/repair the problem. I hope to have it back online by midweek, I'll post more details on WRSP-DT's return as they become available.

This problem is not related to any problem that WICS-DT may be having, as we are NOT on the same tower.

I was really looking forward to watching NASCAR in widescreen and Dolby 5.1 today, as I'm sure many of you were. My apologies go out to all of you for this outage.

Ken
post #462 of 4962 Old 02-22-2004, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info, its good to see that one of the stations actually has an interest in digital/hdtv and is interested in keeping their viewers informed (I never dreamed I would get a response from someone at the station actually, let alone someone with decision making power). I wish I could assume that for all stations, but I dont think I can....cough cough wmbd, wcia, wics...etc. Bravo to WRSP, now if we can just get FOX to hurry up and bring us HD. I just assumed that since wics and wrsp were both in the exact same direction and almost the same distance according to antennaweb.org that they were on the same tower, sorry about that. Well that explains wrsp...now whats the problem with wics...doubt we'll ever find that find out...
post #463 of 4962 Old 02-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Darn it, that was a bad time for WRSP-DT's transmitter to go south. My Dish/OTA antenna installer is coming tomorrow morning to get everything set up, including a 8 foot long UHF antenna which I'd hoped would get WRSP-DT from a high attic mount and a pre-amp. I guess we'll point it at channel 55 and hope that will be close enough when the digital signal returns.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #464 of 4962 Old 02-25-2004, 06:58 AM

WRSP-DT is back up and running.

Again, I apologize for the extended outage. It was necessary to get the equipment manufacturer involved so that they could analyze the problem firsthand. Hopefully they will be able to use this information to further improve an already excellent product, resulting in better performance and reliability for us and ultimately you the viewers.

Ken
post #465 of 4962 Old 02-25-2004, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
bout daggum time..! :>)

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #466 of 4962 Old 02-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

I finally got my DISH/OTA partially installed. The installer forgot to bring the gadget he needed to power the antenna amp from the DISH receiver, so that is not yet hooked up.

With a Winegard HD9095 (about 15 dB gain) pointed generally toward Decatur (from Southwest Champaign), the two Decatur digital channels come in like gangbusters--about 85% on the DISH 811 meter. WAND is off the back of the beam and is marginal at about 50%; not really usable. WCIA which is a bit North of my antenna aim is also poor and not really usable at this time. Now that WRSP is back on the air, some more adjustments are going to have be made after the amp is in the circuit. I hope the Decatur stations don't overload.

My DISH installer also explained his understanding of WCIA waivers for the satellite CBS-HD feeds. According to him, if you subscribe to the locals over DISH, WCIA will automatically grant the waiver (they get $$$ from DISH to allow them to carry their signal). I was going to use a creative address to get that feed, but I don't mind subscribing to the locals, even though I didn't put up a SuperDish yet to actually get the signal.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #467 of 4962 Old 02-28-2004, 09:44 AM

This is my first post on this forum but I was hoping someone could help me out. What is going on with 3-1? I am only picking up channel 49 through this channel. Channel 3 displays the proper programming but 3-1 is UPN 49.
post #468 of 4962 Old 02-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

OK I live in Athens about 10 miles north of Springfield. OK just like everyone I am looking for the Holy Grail of antennas. ;-)) I hate to experiment. I would love to get this right the first time. According to TitanTV I need a Winegard GS-2000A bidirectional antenna which would be nice to go bidirectional since I would not have to A/B two signals. Currently I can get Peoria stations (about 45 miles) albeit a little a snowy with a small loop RCA amplified antenna.

Thanks
T

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #469 of 4962 Old 02-29-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jdmcdonald
[b]I was informed by WCIA this morning that wiavers to get
a satellite HD feed were available.

Would somebody be so kind as to explain the waiver process and restrictions?

I just spent the most infuriating 30 minutes on the phone with Dish's customer support (now located in India I might add). They could not tell me where on the web site it says this, but according to the CS person even though I subscribe to the Champaign locals, I cannot get CBS in HD unless I subscribe to the "distant locals" package which is another $5 a month. I asked that if I was going to have to pay for all the distant locals, could I simply substitute that package for the Champaign locals. He said I would have to apply for waivers from each of the networks, and most likely would not be able to get them all. So in effect CBS-HD would cost me $5 a month on top of the $5 a month I pay for the regular locals. Moreover, the waiver process would take up to 45 days.

This setup is too [CENSORED] convoluded!

-Dan

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #470 of 4962 Old 02-29-2004, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

uhh..that's "convoluted".. :>)

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #471 of 4962 Old 02-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

My DISH installer applied for a waiver for me from WCIA and told me that they are usually being granted in a about a week's time. We'll see. I've also heard of people contacting the station directly and having them fax a waiver to DISH, but don't know if a specific form has to be used or who at DISH the fax goes to. Another approach is to change your service address to somewhere that qualifies for the distant network feed. Since Springfield can't pick up CBS OTA, anywhere there ought to qualify you. There is a long post earlier in this thread explaining how to do this.

The law that created this unholy mess is coming up for renewal soon. However, since the National Association of Broadcasters has continued to line the pockets of Congressmen and Senators with "campaign contributions," things will probably get worse, not better.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #472 of 4962 Old 03-01-2004, 08:24 AM

Any updates available on WILL & WICD status? Eagerly awaiting more HD choices.

Rick

Charter D** Customer

"I hate words." "Words suck." "If I wanted to read, I'd go to school." Beavis & Butthead
post #473 of 4962 Old 03-01-2004, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WILL is playing with themselves.

WICD says middel April.

WICS told me this morning that they are "slightly" behind their
sister. They are now at full tower height and about 4 or 5 kW ERP.

This is enough that I received them last night here in Champaign for
the first time. They disappeared overnight. I measured their signal relative to WRSP and they were exactly at the expected power difference.

Doug McDonald
post #474 of 4962 Old 03-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

I looked at antennaweb.org and saw that there is a Fox affliate in Bloomington, WYZZ. Does anyone know if they are transmitting Fox's 16:9 480p signal? They are closer to me than WRSP and might be easier to get, if they are at or near full power.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #475 of 4962 Old 03-01-2004, 11:36 AM

43-1 is low power and the transmitter (if I remember correctly) is in Carlock, about 10 miles to the north west of Bloomington. The east side of Bloomington receives a mediocre signal strength. I'm in Mahomet and cannot get it.

Joe
post #476 of 4962 Old 03-01-2004, 11:50 AM

mrab,

At this time WYZZ is just doing 480i for all programming at low power. We are working on installing at new transmitter and antenna along with equipment that will allow us to pass through Fox's HD in the fall. The weather has delayed us, but hope to start construction soon. We will have to take the low power digital off the air for several weeks during the construction.
Jim, Regional Manager

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #477 of 4962 Old 03-01-2004, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jdmcdonald
WILL is playing with themselves.

WICD says middel April.

WICS told me this morning that they are "slightly" behind their
sister. They are now at full tower height and about 4 or 5 kW ERP.

This is enough that I received them last night here in Champaign for
the first time. They disappeared overnight. I measured their signal relative to WRSP and they were exactly at the expected power difference.

Doug McDonald

Thanks for the update, Doug.

Rick

Charter D** Customer

"I hate words." "Words suck." "If I wanted to read, I'd go to school." Beavis & Butthead
post #478 of 4962 Old 03-04-2004, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What has happened to WRSP ... I thought they had PSIP? But
last night it was not there.

Doug
post #479 of 4962 Old 03-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

I have more information to add on waivers to get the CBS-HD feed. According to DISH, my initial request for a waiver was denied by WCIA. I know someone who works at WCIA and asked her to approach the General Manager to see if that decision could be changed. I now have in my hand a printout of waiver for the DISH Network packages. Waivers are apparently done through a website called ww3.waivertv.com. I don't think I got any special favors, but you may have to contact WCIA directly to get the waiver approved. I think if you tell them you subscribe to the locals package from DISH, you ought to get the waiver. I don't think DISH provides that information to WCIA when the waiver request is sent to them.

Now I've got to spend what will probably be hours on the phone with DISH trying to find who can get the service started, though maybe this will be easier than I anticipate.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #480 of 4962 Old 03-04-2004, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I have PSIP for WRSP shut-off for now. Back soon..

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page