Champaign, IL - HDTV - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4981 of 5008 Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post
I just spotted 20-3 with GritTV. Not sure if WICS added this subchannel on New Year's Day, but today was the first time I noticed it. At least for the time being, 20-2 is still active with ZUUS Country. I don't see Grit on Comcast yet.
Today's State Journal-Register out of Springfield reports in their Business section that Comcast will be adding Grit on channel 420 on our local system later this month.

http://www.sj-r.com/article/20150117...INESS/?Start=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5008 Old 01-20-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was recently given a pocket analog TV. Of course, with full power analog stations no longer being on the air and not having the proper connectors, I had no way of knowing that the TV actually worked, just my suspicion that it did. Anyway, I had to go to Champaign proper earlier today and decided that it would be a great idea to go on an analog LPTV DXpedition. In particular, I was hoping to determine whether I would be able to tune in WBXC-CA, a supposed America One affiliate licensed to Champaign. No, I was not able to tune it in (their filings with the FCC indicate a history of being off the air at various times, plus they have a CP for a digital station), but I did manage to find an analog HSN station in Champaign. Top of the hour conditions were horrible, though, so I couldn't see if the station ID'd, plus, the TV has an annoying quirk: it's impossible to tell what channel you're actually on, you can only guestimate based on the scale at the bottom of the screen. This HSN station appeared to be located around channels 30-40. However, I can't seem to find any record of a HSN station in the Champaign area in the first place. So, anyway, the analog TV does indeed work. I may try to do some analog Es DXing this summer on it.

Can we get someone in Champaign proper to try to tune in WBXC-CA, either in analog or digital? I, for one, would really like to know what's on it. I suppose it's quite possible that it is the HSN station I tuned in. The low power TBN station shut down, leaving only one or two low power analog stations left in Champaign.

Edit: Further research indicates that it was most likely W39BH. Which means that the TBN station didn't so much shut down as it did change hands and become an HSN affiliate AFTER the analog shutdown. (I definitely tuned them in once as a TBN station post shutdown.)

Last edited by kc9hzn; 01-20-2015 at 12:12 PM.
post #4983 of 5008 Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Pleasantly surprised to see that WRSP-55 & WBUI-23 are now broadcasting syndicated HD prog, in actual HD now...
post #4984 of 5008 Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
WICD cancels all local newscasts; will now be produced at WICS

Quote:
Well well well… It looks like Sinclair is ready to make a transition to make WICS/WICD look more like one news station, instead of two. And that requires also shutting down one of the stations’ duopoly’s news departments. And WICD, will get that ax.

We are being told, according to VermillionCountyFirst.com and also according to FTVLive, that Sinclair has pink slipped a number of on-air and off-air staffers at WICD 15, the ABC station out of Champaign, IL that is a semi-satellite to WICS 20 in Springfield, IL. And because of that semi-satellite status, WICD will dump 95% of its locally produced newscasts and move them to WICS 20, starting next month in April. In other words, all newscasts seen on WICS 20 will also be seen on WICD 15.

Just letting you know that I said 95% and that I didn’t count the other 5%. Why? Its because WICD 15 will be trading in the 95% for the 5% to start up a brand new one-hour 9:00 p.m. weeknight newscast on WRSP 55’s semi-satellite station WCCU 27. This new one-hour newscast will also start in April and will be produced out of WICD 15. WICS 20 will continue to produce the Springfield version of the news at 9:00 for WRSP 55 as well as the weekend editions at 9:00 on WRSP 55/WCCU 27 in both areas.

According to VermillionCountyFirst.com and FTVLive, some employees have been given 30-day termination notices and will only keep a few employees while the rest could either be retained by WICS 20 in Springfield or could be let go altogether. A news release says that the “reallocation of resources will require fewer staff members in Champaign and more news staffers in Springfield.”
https://changingnewscasts.wordpress....0-pm-be-saved/

We already seen this in Minneapolis with WCCO/KCCO/KCCW and KSTP/KSAX/KRWF.

Could this happen in other markets with semi-satellites (WDAY Fargo/WDAZ Grand Forks; KLTV Tyler/KTRE Lufkin; KIMA Yakima/KEPR Pasco)?

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #4985 of 5008 Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
We already seen this in Minneapolis with WCCO/KCCO/KCCW and KSTP/KSAX/KRWF.
not really the same thing
KCCO and KSAX had a 5 minute cut-in after the 1st commercial break and the weather was also the "local" version. The rest of the news came from the mothership (WCCO or KSTP)

KCCW was a 100% satellite feed of KCCO from the get-go. They always ID'd as "7/12" even when Alexandria was its own market (and they were NBC/ABC affiliates)
KRWF is a 100% satellite feed of KSAX
post #4986 of 5008 Old 03-20-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
WICD cancels all local newscasts; will now be produced at WICS

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress....0-pm-be-saved/
Let me guess the implications of this not-surprising move on the Springfield side of the market: Significantly Less Springfield-area non-Capitol news and Boatloads of Champaign-Danville news--basically what 20's marketwide weekend newscasts and Fox 55/27 News at Nine looks like now. This time nearly 24/7.
post #4987 of 5008 Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post
Let me guess the implications of this not-surprising move on the Springfield side of the market: Significantly Less Springfield-area non-Capitol news and Boatloads of Champaign-Danville news--basically what 20's marketwide weekend newscasts and Fox 55/27 News at Nine looks like now. This time nearly 24/7.
OK, well the only thing I was not totally clear on is...

Quote:
WICD 15 will produce and air a one-hour weeknight newscast at 9:00 p.m. on WCCU 27, starting in April.
So if you notice it did NOT say WRSP 55...ONLY WCCU 27. So what they are really doing, is moving WICD's (C/U) newscasts to ONLY the WCCU signal...while WRSP having a (completely) separate newscast for Spfld/Dec news(?) Since it says specifically WICD will produce it, it sounds like they will just feed WICD's newscast feed directly over to WCCU.

So actually, all they are doing is flip-flopping the newscasts between WICS/WICD & WRSP/WCCU. If you want mostly S/D news, you'll need to watch it at 9PM on WRSP; if you want mostly C/U news, you'll have to watch it at 9PM on WCCU.
Since I DVR everything, I'll just start DVR'ing the WRSP news@9 instead.

NOW, here's something else interesting...Sinclair got DISH Network to finally put up WICD-HD in our locals pkg about 2 years ago; the premise being, C/U viewers were NOT getting to see their C/U newscasts. (previously ONLY having WICS) Now that the brainboxes@Sinclair are doing this thing, now DISH subs in C/U are right back where they started, since DISH does NOT carry WCCU at all. (no matter either way for DirecTV subs, since it has never carried either WICD or WCCU)

Last edited by dishrich; 03-20-2015 at 10:10 PM.
post #4988 of 5008 Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At least these stations are ran much better than the crap operations I have to look at when I'm back home in Peoria. :P
post #4989 of 5008 Old 06-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently I noticed that Comcast here in C-U is zooming almost all the SD channels, including those that were originally broadcast in the 4:3 format. I really don't like this.
post #4990 of 5008 Old 06-18-2015, 02:23 PM

Liked: 0
I noticed a promo during WCIA's noon news today for Saturday's Cubs game on WCIX being touted as "now in high definition." I emailed the chief engineer and he told me WCIX will be switched to HD late tonight. If I'm not mistaken, this will be the last full power station in the market to go HD.
post #4991 of 5008 Old 06-20-2015, 05:05 PM

I wonder what that means for 3.2. Will they run it at 720p, or keep it at 480i?
post #4992 of 5008 Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

First, thx TechFan for this info...& yes, this IS the last (full-power) station in our market to go HD, which means we now have ALL the major English OTA nets in HD now. (not that MNT is really "major", but you get the point...) While I do NOT watch anything on MNT itself, I do watch some of the syndicated shows on WCIX. I was pissed when they moved (& downgraded) Inside Edition to blurry SD on WCIX; I went back to watching it on WLS out of Chicago.

I checked out the feed that's always been on the Spfld/Decatur Comcast ch 918, which is in the "HD neighborhood" of all our other HD OTA's...but has always been just a dupe 480 SD feed since day 1. To my amazement, it IS now a 1080i HD feed.
I then checked out the OTA signal of 49.1/49.2; my TV(s) report BOTH channels are now 1080i. While I didn't have time to thoroughly check out the picture on both, 49.2/CBS seems as good as it was before...& obviously a BIG improvement on 49.1/MNT.
I viewed Inside Edition & a couple other syndicated shows & they, too are being broadcast in HD now. This means that any syndicated prog that is available in HD, should be in HD in our market if it is shown here!

kc - WCIX/49.2 has ALWAYS been in 1080i HD since day 1 when they went HD with WCIA; they are talking about the actual WCIX/MNT feed, that up until now has only been in SD on both 3.2/49.1.
I can't get 3.1/3.2 over here, but I would assume they are doing the same thing with both channels there as well. I am surprised that they did not go with 720p for WCIX 49.1/3.2...considering MNT is broadcast in 720p, as well as all the sports they keep putting on WCIX; it probably would have been easier to squeeze it alongside WCIA's 1080i signal. Maybe Nexstar got a "good deal" on a (new, dual) 1080i encoder.

Now to wait & see how long it takes to get the HD feed added on U-verse, DISH & DirecTV...

Last edited by dishrich; 06-21-2015 at 07:17 PM.
post #4993 of 5008 Old 06-22-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
First, thx TechFan for this info...& yes, this IS the last (full-power) station in our market to go HD, which means we now have ALL the major English OTA nets in HD now. (not that MNT is really "major", but you get the point...) While I do NOT watch anything on MNT itself, I do watch some of the syndicated shows on WCIX. I was pissed when they moved (& downgraded) Inside Edition to blurry SD on WCIX; I went back to watching it on WLS out of Chicago.

I checked out the feed that's always been on the Spfld/Decatur Comcast ch 918, which is in the "HD neighborhood" of all our other HD OTA's...but has always been just a dupe 480 SD feed since day 1. To my amazement, it IS now a 1080i HD feed.
I then checked out the OTA signal of 49.1/49.2; my TV(s) report BOTH channels are now 1080i. While I didn't have time to thoroughly check out the picture on both, 49.2/CBS seems as good as it was before...& obviously a BIG improvement on 49.1/MNT.
I viewed Inside Edition & a couple other syndicated shows & they, too are being broadcast in HD now. This means that any syndicated prog that is available in HD, should be in HD in our market if it is shown here!

kc - WCIX/49.2 has ALWAYS been in 1080i HD since day 1 when they went HD with WCIA; they are talking about the actual WCIX/MNT feed, that up until now has only been in SD on both 3.2/49.1.
I can't get 3.1/3.2 over here, but I would assume they are doing the same thing with both channels there as well. I am surprised that they did not go with 720p for WCIX 49.1/3.2...considering MNT is broadcast in 720p, as well as all the sports they keep putting on WCIX; it probably would have been easier to squeeze it alongside WCIA's 1080i signal. Maybe Nexstar got a "good deal" on a (new, dual) 1080i encoder.

Now to wait & see how long it takes to get the HD feed added on U-verse, DISH & DirecTV...
RabbitEars says WCIA 3.2 is still in 480i SD.
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=42124#station

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #4994 of 5008 Old 06-22-2015, 08:12 PM

Heck, even I'm doing well to get 3.1 or 3.2. It seems to come in better during the summer. Even when it was on RF 3, we never did have much luck in tuning in WCIA. (In fact, WCIA is the one station that we get better service from post-transition than we ever did pre-transition. That's partially due to the Terk HDTVa I bought back in 2010, and partially due the move to UHF.) Even though Champaign is only about 30 miles from us, we primarily got CBS service from WTHI. (And even then, primarily on the second floor. Channel 10 didn't usually come in well on the first floor.)
post #4995 of 5008 Old 06-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
RabbitEars says WCIA 3.2 is still in 480i SD.
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=42124#station
Wiki says otherwise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCIA

Surely there's ONE person out here that can actually get 3.1/3.2 OTA & verify...

Last edited by dishrich; 06-23-2015 at 07:02 AM.
post #4996 of 5008 Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I don't update things until I get confirmations. I've heard no confirmation of WCIA, only of WCIX.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4997 of 5008 Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I don't update things until I get confirmations. I've heard no confirmation of WCIA, only of WCIX.

- Trip
I receive WCIA and can confirm that 3.2 is broadcasting in 1080i.
post #4998 of 5008 Old 06-23-2015, 07:38 PM

Also, WCIX's nickname needs to be updated to "X 49" Trip.
post #4999 of 5008 Old 06-24-2015, 03:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Thanks, corrections made.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #5000 of 5008 Old 07-18-2015, 07:38 PM

dishrich, we did upgrade to an Ericsson AVP4000 encoder. I was hopeful that WCIA, which had been using a bit rate of 14.5 MB on our old Tandberg 5780, would look better running at an average 8.5-9.0 MB on the new encoder, mainly due to the vast improvements in compression since the 5780 was installed. I was not disappointed!

We use 1080i for WCIA/WCIX since our master control switcher runs both stations and only accommodates one format. Further, our video server is also set up for 1080i so we don't have to perform any cross-conversion for WCIX.

I'm very impressed with the AVP4000 and I'm glad someone besides me noticed the improvement in WCIA. Correction: I misread your post, you said it looks as good as before... give it a critical view (OTA of course!) and let me know if it looks a bit better on fast camera pans. I used to notice a lot of tiling on Price Is Right, but it looks a lot smoother now.

Last edited by WCIAchief; 07-18-2015 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Correction
post #5001 of 5008 Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 PM

On Comcast here in Springfield, I just discovered an "Enhanced Service Check" channel on Channel 1995. It says, "This set-top box is good to go!" On what I don't know. Could Comcast's master channel lineup, which has been rolled out in some markets (and puts HD and international channels in the 1000s and 2000s, respectively) be coming soon to the central Illinois systems?
post #5002 of 5008 Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Nothing to do with that; it's for their HD MPEG4 upgrade program that is eventually coming:

Atlanta, GA - Comcast
post #5003 of 5008 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

This is very much just an vanity request, but can I get someone in Champaign proper to tell me just what, if anything, is on WBXC-CD? I've been trying to get it for a few years now, but I haven't been able to. (Part of it is that, per the FCC, it has spent varying lengths of time dark in the past few years. And now, it's on digital, so I can't do an LPTV DXpedition, like I did back in January.) It apparently is broadcasting in digital now, per data on RabbitEars. Apparently, it has two subchannels. I'd really like to know what it's running. TSReader output would be icing on the cake. WBXC-CD is on RF channel 46, by the way. According to Wikipedia, it had been running America One (which is now defunct anyway and still doesn't explain what's on the subchannels), but it never was on America One's list of affiliates.
post #5004 of 5008 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Uggg... Major Windows Media Center update

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I didn't see anything about it.

EPG for Windows Media Center users is switching from Zapit to Rovi for a provider. For me and maybe others this is turning into a mess. You need to redo a Media Center setup and pay attention to the guide setups you choose. My system has been solid for several years.

I have not waded all the way through this yet. But there was no 49.2 (CBS) picked up on scan. 49.1 is there but weak....I did pick up my solid 25.1 WEEK (Peoria-NBC) and 31.1 WMDB (Peoria-CBS) but there was no guide data for these 2 channels. I guess my new channel setup thinks I can't receive Peoria channels???...But I get data from 43.1 from Bloomington... WTH???

EPG update info

There is almost 1,000 posts on this topic.

This is just a heads up. I have been digging through this for 4 hours tonight. If you have an issue it will show itself as guide data stopping on Sunday.

I am willing to take any suggestions.... Dishrich???

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #5005 of 5008 Old Today, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post
I am willing to take any suggestions.... Dishrich???
Well unfortunately (or maybe in this case fortunately ) I've never messed w/WMC. I DID actually buy a brand new Win7 computer a couple years ago, where I was either going to try a Cable Card tuner or OTA, but after I started hearing rumblings of MS stopping support, I got cold feet. (it's still in the box! ) Instead I just bought a refurbed Tivo Roamio, that does either OTA or CC, w/lifetime service for only $400 a couple weeks ago from Tivo's "summer blowout" sale, as IMHO they'll be around a LOT longer than WMC will.

Anyway, probably a dumb suggestion, but have you tried other zip codes that are between the Spfld & Peoria/Bloomington areas? I'd try using Lincoln zip 62656, as it's considered right in the middle of both markets.

As far as your 49 signal issue, have you looked at it's signal strength through another device (TV), just to make sure it's "not on the fringe" for your computer tuner? Do keep in mind that 49 is actually broadcast on physical ch (high VHF) 13, so if you are "making do" with a UHF-only antenna, you may NOT be getting the most stable signal. Also, since (I assume) your computer tuner has more than 1 tuner, it's going to need MORE signal than a comparable single tuner (TV) device, due to it's internal splitter to run all it's tuners.
Something else I just thought of...since you can see above that 49.1 went HD, that has completely changed how their signal is now formatted. Have you tried running a complete delete of your tuner (maybe like re-running a scan with NO signal connected to it to completely clear out the old RF data) then reconnecting & re-running another scan? (again, not sure if this is applicable for this tuner, but I know that same process can be used on TV's that don't rescan new/changed channel allocations properly)

Good luck

Last edited by dishrich; Today at 06:48 AM.
post #5006 of 5008 Unread Today, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well unfortunately (or maybe in this case fortunately ) I've never messed w/WMC. I DID actually buy a brand new Win7 computer a couple years ago, where I was either going to try a Cable Card tuner or OTA, but after I started hearing rumblings of MS stopping support, I got cold feet. (it's still in the box! ) Instead I just bought a refurbed Tivo Roamio, that does either OTA or CC, w/lifetime service for only $400 a couple weeks ago from Tivo's "summer blowout" sale, as IMHO they'll be around a LOT longer than WMC will.

Anyway, probably a dumb suggestion, but have you tried other zip codes that are between the Spfld & Peoria/Bloomington areas? I'd try using Lincoln zip 62656, as it's considered right in the middle of both markets.

As far as your 49 signal issue, have you looked at it's signal strength through another device (TV), just to make sure it's "not on the fringe" for your computer tuner? Do keep in mind that 49 is actually broadcast on physical ch (high VHF) 13, so if you are "making do" with a UHF-only antenna, you may NOT be getting the most stable signal. Also, since (I assume) your computer tuner has more than 1 tuner, it's going to need MORE signal than a comparable single tuner (TV) device, due to it's internal splitter to run all it's tuners.
Something else I just thought of...since you can see above that 49.1 went HD, that has completely changed how their signal is now formatted. Have you tried running a complete delete of your tuner (maybe like re-running a scan with NO signal connected to it to completely clear out the old RF data) then reconnecting & re-running another scan? (again, not sure if this is applicable for this tuner, but I know that same process can be used on TV's that don't rescan new/changed channel allocations properly)

Good luck
Thanks for the great suggestions. Any idea why 49.2 does not show in TVFool now???

post #5007 of 5008 Unread Today, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post
Any idea why 49.2 does not show in TVFool now???
Don't know, but if you look up other stations, they ONLY show the primary ( .1) on all of them...
post #5008 of 5008 Unread Today, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't know, but if you look up other stations, they ONLY show the primary ( .1) on all of them...

Good call.. I would swear TVFool used to show subchannels...

I am doing well now after a long 7 hrs working through this Media Center EPG mess.

If anyone is interested in the gory details:

MCE EPG move to Rovi

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page