Champaign, IL - HDTV - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #5101 of 5125 Old 04-07-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan893 View Post
Hey @WCIAchief, what person/department do I need to contact about getting cable carriage for Bounce, Grit, Laff, and Escape?
You would have to contact the specific cable company. Since Nexstar employs "retransmission consent" cable companies are under no obligation to carry us (must-carry rule does not apply).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 5125 Old 04-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Comcast has replaced the SD copy of COZI on ch 436, with a notice to tune to the HD version on ch 907. (WAND 17.3 OTA, which was COZI-SD, is now ION-SD)
ION-SD on Comcast ch 233, is still the national feed, though.
post #5103 of 5125 Old 04-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

DISH added WCCU-27 FOX Champaign in SD/HD today - BUT also removed WICD-15 ABC Champaign altogether.
This change not surprising, since WICD shifted all their Champaign-based newscasts over to WCCU some time ago.

Last edited by dishrich; 04-19-2017 at 04:35 PM.

post #5104 of 5125 Old 05-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post
Will any of these new subchannels ever get added onto local Comcast lineups? And if so, will only Champaign-area customers get only the WCIA subs (Bounce and Grit), and Springfield-area only the WCIX subs (Escape and Laff), or will the full set of WCIA/WCIX subchannels be aired throughout the whole market on Comcast and most other cable systems which carry both 3 and 49?
Quote:
Hey @WCIAchief, what person/department do I need to contact about getting cable carriage for Bounce, Grit, Laff, and Escape?
Ya'll finally got your wish...ALL 4 channels are now on Comcast, at least on the Springfield/Decatur system, on ch's 423-426.
post #5105 of 5125 Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
Ya'll finally got your wish...ALL 4 channels are now on Comcast, at least on the Springfield/Decatur system, on ch's 423-426.
I noticed that too a couple weeks ago. And they're on the channel 1000+ lineup too (which I prefer using rather than the traditional 2-3 digit numbers, at least on my main TV). I just need to go back and see where in the 1000s the new WCIA/WCIX subs are placed.

Other than WAND's local version of ION (which is already on Comcast channel 233, the national version that is), the only local subchannel not currently on Comcast is Charge! (WICS-20.4/WICD-15.4).
post #5106 of 5125 Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Comcast has shockingly added a new HD channel - Bloomberg ch 633
post #5107 of 5125 Old 06-18-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
And on Channel 1122 if you prefer using CC's new 4-digit lineup, like I do (their SD feed used to be on 1122). We have the HD Bloomberg here in Chatham (where I now live) too.

And although CC's channel guide lists WCIA-HD's 4-digit channel number as 1003, in actuality it shows up on 1002 (it was 1005 until around Easter). While the other local OTA channels are Virtual Channel + 1000 on the CC 4-digit lineup. Anyone know what's up with CC refusing to put WCIA on channel 1003?

And in an unrelated story, I was visiting family earlier this weekend in the Peoria area and saw the Journal-Star this morning. Looks like the JS is bailing out of the TV Times insert after today, returning to their old in-house TV insert (which IMO was one of the worst local TV inserts for a newspaper with a wide circulation area like the Journal Star--no out-of-market channels, miniscule amount of cable channels, tiny grid sizes with no program descriptions on the side, and in the digital era no listings for subchannel netlets). Could the SJ-R be soon to follow on bailing out on TV Times? The JS claimed the return to their old TV Week was due to subscriber demand--IMO I think it's a Gatehouse corporate decision.
post #5108 of 5125 Old 06-18-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
And still no Charge! (WICS-20.4) on Comcast either. Plus it looks like CC is sticking with the national ION feed rather than WAND's ION feed.
post #5109 of 5125 Old 06-25-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
And in an unrelated story, I was visiting family earlier this weekend in the Peoria area and saw the Journal-Star this morning. Looks like the JS is bailing out of the TV Times insert after today, returning to their old in-house TV insert (which IMO was one of the worst local TV inserts for a newspaper with a wide circulation area like the Journal Star--no out-of-market channels, miniscule amount of cable channels, tiny grid sizes with no program descriptions on the side, and in the digital era no listings for subchannel netlets). Could the SJ-R be soon to follow on bailing out on TV Times? The JS claimed the return to their old TV Week was due to subscriber demand--IMO I think it's a Gatehouse corporate decision.
SJ-R has indeed dropped TV Times as well--back to their traditional TV insert in the same format of the old version. With only Springfield/Decatur/Champaign and St. Louis market main stations, plus most cable stations, and some errors e.g. WGN still shown as cable channel 9 even though it has been relegated only to channel 115 SD since Dec. 2014. Still no subchannel netlets listed in any of the printed TV inserts locally.

Looks like it was actually Gatehouse corporate decision making rather than "customer feedback" on the dropping of TV Times in the Journal Star and the SJR.
post #5110 of 5125 Old 07-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Anyone know more about the Ball-Chatham School District's (aka Chatham Glenwood) efforts to sell or lease the 300-foot WSEC relay tower near Glenwood High School (and presumably near Network Knowledge's building)?

From the Chatham Clarion (only a blurb--full article requires online subscription), article of June 26:

http://www.southcountypublications.n...be207db22.html

"The board [at their June 20 meeting] approved the purchase of eight buses through a three-year lease agreement, but decisions on whether to issue $2.18 million in bonds (remaining referendum authority from the November 2012 referendum) and how to handle a pending sale agreement of the 300-foot WSEC tower on District property behind GHS remain on the table."

That's the WSEC/Network Knowledge relay tower to their transmitters (WSEC's near Franklin, WQEC Quincy, WMEC Macomb).

If W[S/M/Q]EC hadn't already been assigned post-repack channels and this was coming up, I'd be wondering with the proposed CPB elimination and the recent state budget impasse if Network Knowledge was going to pull a Steve Miller and "take the money and run." Anyone know if there's more substance to the story behind the WSEC tower proposed sale near Chatham Glenwood HS? Could we potentially be looking at Network Knowledge stations going bye-bye or perhaps becoming WILL or WTVP satellites?
post #5111 of 5125 Old 08-12-2017, 11:55 AM

I now live in Chatham, but still have Comcast for cable/internet. So far this weekend there have been two hour-long outages (one between 7:15-8:15 last night, and the other late this morning around 10-11). The CC agent at the 800 number last night said that last night's outage was do to fiber upgrades, while this morning's was due to "an areawide outage."

Anyone else in the market know anything about CC fiber upgrades to our DMA's Comcast service areas? Anyone know if parts of Springfield have been affected? Anyone else have any CC service interruptions this weekend?

Also, on the 4di HD lineup, WCIA-HD is finally on 1003 (virtual channel 3 + 1000 as how the other local stations, WEIU included, have been treated on the 4di lineup). But 1002 is still live and continues to also have WCIA-HD--but for how much longer.

In addition, still no sign of Charge! (WICS-20.4) on Comcast--even though WICS's other subs Comet (20.2 or Comcast 1087) and TBD (20.3, Comcast 1086) are on the lineup. (on my main TV with an X1 box I now exclusively use the 4di lineup).
post #5112 of 5125 Old 08-15-2017, 03:06 AM

Comcast has been dropping Weatherscan (from the Weather Channel) in other parts of the country in recent years, but so far the Springfield area has been spared--until Oct. 10. My new bill announced that Weatherscan (cable 17; 1101 on the 4di lineup) will no longer be available locally starting Oct. 10.
post #5113 of 5125 Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Specs of OTA locals?

I'm getting an OTA antenna to watch Champaign area locals, and was wondering what sort of bandwidth they are broadcasting in these days? I've heard of some broadcasters that squeeze more channels into their allocated spectrum, rather than devoting it all to the main channel, and curious to learn how our locals are doing.

LG OLED65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Oppo UDP-203
post #5114 of 5125 Old 08-18-2017, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackmark View Post
I'm getting an OTA antenna to watch Champaign area locals, and was wondering what sort of bandwidth they are broadcasting in these days? I've heard of some broadcasters that squeeze more channels into their allocated spectrum, rather than devoting it all to the main channel, and curious to learn how our locals are doing.
Both WCIA-3 & WCFN-49 have (2) 1080i HD & (2) SD channels on each station. Interestingly, the 2 SD channels are both different on each station, while the 2 HD channels duplicate each other, in order to cover both sides of the market with CBS & MNT programming. The HD pic quality seems to be good on both HD channels.
WAND-17 has (2) 1080i HD & 1 SD channels on it's station; the 2nd HD channel is just COZI TV, so it's kind of hard to tell how good it's HD quality is...but it looked OK when they were running Cubs baseball games on it, which they no longer do.
The rest have just 1 HD channel & between 1 & 3 SD channels on each station

WEEK-25 Peoria has them all beat though; it's broadcasting 3 HD streams in the same station!
Peoria, IL - HDTV
post #5115 of 5125 Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Both WCIA-3 & WCFN-49 have (2) 1080i HD & (2) SD channels on each station. Interestingly, the 2 SD channels are both different on each station, while the 2 HD channels duplicate each other, in order to cover both sides of the market with CBS & MNT programming. The HD pic quality seems to be good on both HD channels.
WAND-17 has (2) 1080i HD & 1 SD channels on it's station; the 2nd HD channel is just COZI TV, so it's kind of hard to tell how good it's HD quality is...but it looked OK when they were running Cubs baseball games on it, which they no longer do.
The rest have just 1 HD channel & between 1 & 3 SD channels on each station

WEEK-25 Peoria has them all beat though; it's broadcasting 3 HD streams in the same station!
Peoria, IL - HDTV
Thanks! Any idea what those translate into mbps?

LG OLED65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Oppo UDP-203
post #5116 of 5125 Old 08-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

No clue...
post #5117 of 5125 Old 09-09-2017, 12:23 PM

RabbitEars.Info is showing that WBUI has added the new Sinclair subchannel "Stadium" on 23.3.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=wbui

I haven't been able to confirm this as I can't pick up WBUI in my apartment (I live in Chatham--and it was also difficult to get WBUI OTA while in Springfield during the digital era). And I'm not holding my breath that Stadium will be on Comcast anytime soon--we're even still waiting for Charge! (WICS-20.4 locally) to even show up on Comcast. (I think it was added around April or May). (IMO, TBD only made it on Comcast as it simply replaced Grit on the "-3" of WICS/WICD).

Anyone know whether Stadium is indeed on 23.3?
post #5118 of 5125 Old 09-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

It is, SD 16x9.
Also just noticed that HSN on 33.1 appears to be gone
post #5119 of 5125 Old 09-09-2017, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
RabbitEars.Info is showing that WBUI has added the new Sinclair subchannel "Stadium" on 23.3.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=wbui

I haven't been able to confirm this as I can't pick up WBUI in my apartment (I live in Chatham--and it was also difficult to get WBUI OTA while in Springfield during the digital era). And I'm not holding my breath that Stadium will be on Comcast anytime soon--we're even still waiting for Charge! (WICS-20.4 locally) to even show up on Comcast. (I think it was added around April or May). (IMO, TBD only made it on Comcast as it simply replaced Grit on the "-3" of WICS/WICD).

Anyone know whether Stadium is indeed on 23.3?
Yes, Stadium has been up on 23.3 since Wednesday and they have a livestream available here.

I have Mediacom and I think they added Charge! within a couple months of it launching. However, when Antenna TV launched in early 2016 on WRSP, it took them until the end of the year to add it. Additionally, I'm still waiting for them to carry the subchannels added to WCIA and WCIX.
post #5120 of 5125 Old 09-10-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Comcast has been dropping Weatherscan (from the Weather Channel) in other parts of the country in recent years, but so far the Springfield area has been spared--until Oct. 10. My new bill announced that Weatherscan (cable 17; 1101 on the 4di lineup) will no longer be available locally starting Oct. 10.
Also because of Hurricane Irma coverage, the regular Weatherscan programming is preempted locally on Comcast and replaced with the national Weather Channel feed.
post #5121 of 5125 Old 09-10-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
It is, SD 16x9.
Not a big loss there, but I'm sure that has to do with WAOE Peoria (virtual 59, RF 39) being repacked to RF 33 in the spectrum auction. As well as KTVI St. Louis (virtual 2, RF 43) being repacked to 33.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=waoe

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=ktvi
post #5122 of 5125 Old 09-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, Stadium has been up on 23.3 since Wednesday and they have a livestream available here.

I have Mediacom and I think they added Charge! within a couple months of it launching. However, when Antenna TV launched in early 2016 on WRSP, it took them until the end of the year to add it. Additionally, I'm still waiting for them to carry the subchannels added to WCIA and WCIX.
Just noticed about a half-hour ago that Stadium (WBUI-23.3) has made it onto Comcast at least in Springfield/Chatham. However, it's only on channel 230 at this time (no 4di channel yet).

Still no sign of Charge (WICS-20.4) on Comcast yet. That's the only remaining full-power station and subchannel left for Comcast to add from our DMA.
post #5123 of 5125 Old 09-24-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
It is, SD 16x9.
I couldn't get 33.1 any longer as I have moved to the south side of Chatham earlier this year (with Comcast in both my living room and bedroom TVs in my new apartment, but have OTA backup in my bedroom only with a bowtie antenna extended to the corner of my NE wall and the ceiling). But is HSN on 33.1 still gone--and if so, is 33.1 completely signed off or just dead air?

Also, is WSEC's analog 8 translator (of which a CP for a digital version on RF 36 expired in fall 2015) still around? I saw it one time in the spring after my move (extremely faint signal), but haven't detected anything on analog 8 in south Chatham in recent months. Not even their analog audio on the Hi-V tuner on my ca. pre-1995 Radio Shack SW-100 (which I actually got on sale late in 1998 at one of their stores, while I was in college).
post #5124 of 5125 Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

BOTH are now completely gone, "dead air", vanished...
post #5125 of 5125 Old 10-09-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow is the day that Comcast is scheduled to drop Weatherscan from our local lineup.

And ironically the southern half of Sangamon County (south of I-72) is currently slated to be under a Marginal Risk for severe weather tomorrow:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html (discussion posted below and does mention the possibility of brief tornadoes):

...Middle Mississippi Valley...

Shortwave trough situated over the southern Rockies will reach the
middle MS Valley Tuesday afternoon while taking on a negative tilt.
By mid afternoon the associated weak surface cyclone is forecast to
be over southeast MO or southern IL with trailing cold front through
eastern AR and the western Gulf. Warm front will extend eastward
from the low through the southern portion of the Ohio Valley. Rich
low-level moisture with upper 60s to lower 70s F dewpoints will
advect through warm sector. However, MLCAPE should remain at or
below 1000 J/kg due to warm temperatures aloft that will limit
mid-level lapse rates to below 6 C/km. Showers and storms may be
ongoing within corridor of isentropic ascent north of the warm front
from northern MO into southern IL. At least partial clearing will
promote destabilization in warm sector, and storms should redevelop
within zone of frontal forcing and DCVA during the afternoon.
Effective bulk shear from 45-55 kt will support potential for
mid-level updraft rotation, but weak surface to 700 mb winds will
result in relatively small 0-3 km hodographs except slightly larger
near warm front where low-level winds will remain backed to
east-southeasterly. This in conjunction with the expected marginal
thermodynamic environment should serve as limiting factors for a
more robust severe threat, though a few storms might produce strong
wind gusts, some hail and perhaps a brief tornado.

..Dial.. 10/09/2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page