Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4975 Old 04-14-2004, 06:56 AM
EAW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDinIL,

Wow, great info. Guess this is why a forum like this exists.

I realize that a certain amount of anonymity on the internet is a good thing but I was wondering if you would be willing to say which side of town you live on (I don't think that reveals too much). I'm towards the north (not as far as Hyde Park though), newer subdivison (10 years old or so) several blocks off of 74. Based on what I can get with an old set top terk on the first floor, I assume I'm in a good spot. Perhaps the attic is an option afterall.

If I could trouble you for two more questions:

1. Did you install yourself or contract it out?

2. How do rotors work? Specifically, do you program them to rotate when certain channels are selected or do you have to go to the channel then pick up a new remote and punch in some coordinates? Feel free to make fun of me with that question, I'm just not familiar.

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4975 Old 04-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Has anyone tried to contact anyone at Viacom

Perhaps even better, the guy who owns DISH has proposed that when Congress amends SHIVA this year that satellite providers be given the right to provided a network HD feed to any market where the local affiliate doesn't pass through network HD programming. The NAB opposes, of course. Since a provision like this affects only a small number of markets, it seems it might have a chance of passage. Be sure to contact your Congressman and Senators when this bill is near a vote. Right now it is in very early committee hearings.

MIKE

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #543 of 4975 Old 04-14-2004, 08:27 AM

EAW

YOu have a PM.
post #544 of 4975 Old 04-17-2004, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just to disappoint you, I drove by WILL's tower this afternoon and
there is no obvious sign of any activity.

I think they are stonewalling .... the "tower survey" is just an
excuse for a station director who wants to stall.

Doug McDonald
post #545 of 4975 Old 04-17-2004, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I emailed Russ Hamilton early last week asking about the waiver status and whether they needed more information from me (I didn't have my Dish subscriber number when I went to see him back in March). I supplied all the specific information in the email, hoping I would at least get some sort of response, even if it was to say "you cannot have a waiver."

Nothing. The lack of courtesy on WCIA/CBS's part is reprehensible.

I will miss CSI, but so be it. I intend to take this next week and jot down who the major advertisers are during CBS primetime, and then send them mail explaining extactly why I will not be buying their products.

Our local CBS affiliate can go straight to hell, with FOX and PBS close behind.

-Dan

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #546 of 4975 Old 04-18-2004, 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by heavyharmonies
I emailed Russ Hamilton early last week asking about the waiver status and whether they needed more information from me (I didn't have my Dish subscriber number when I went to see him back in March). I supplied all the specific information in the email, hoping I would at least get some sort of response, even if it was to say "you cannot have a waiver."

I will miss CSI, but so be it. I intend to take this next week and jot down who the major advertisers are during CBS primetime, and then send them mail explaining extactly why I will not be buying their products.

-Dan

Don't get mad, get even. You can get CBS HD either by installing a DirecTV system and giving a Chicago service address or by buying and installing a StarChoice system to get service from Canada. If you're somewhat "handy," installing the equipment isn't a big deal, and if you go the Canadian route, you'll get the superior CBC coverage of the summer Olympics as well.

check out www.global-cm.net and click on "Canadian Solution".

John C.
post #547 of 4975 Old 04-18-2004, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the suggestion, but why should I spend an additional $30-40 a month to get an alternate provider in some other community or country?

I would sooner cease watching CBS entirely. As long as they are being given the public airwaves for free, they need to get their heads out of their collective asses.

-Dan

P.S. Even if I opted for one of the solutions you suggest, I am not "handy" in any sense of the word...

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #548 of 4975 Old 04-18-2004, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by heavyharmonies

-Dan

e-mail to Russ won't work ... try the phone, it may work

But while it is valid to attack Fox/WCCU for not being on the air,
it is true that Fox DTV is only about 50 feet away from you ...
50 feet up higher for your antenna. You're behind Yankee
Ridge ... get above it and you will get WRSP. It might only take
25 feet. If WCCU were on, you'd of course get it on a paper clip.

PBS is of course totally reprehensible: we have two PBS stations
that have construction permits that would send us a DTV signal,
and both are foot-dragging. Both have the CP, both have the money
in the bank.

Doug McDonald
post #549 of 4975 Old 04-18-2004, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
We're moving forward on WCCU, and are ordering the equipment this week. We do plan to be on in time for FOX's move to 720pHD this fall.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #550 of 4975 Old 04-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We do plan to be on in time for FOX's move to 720pHD this fall.

Great news. Once that happens, I'll be able to get all the digital broadcasts with a little amplified indoor antenna I got at Radio Shack. Since WILL-DT will be on a VHF channel I may have to do something additional for them.

Now if FOX can order the Bears a new quarterback all will be well in the world.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #551 of 4975 Old 04-19-2004, 04:10 PM
EAW

Something in the air?

More of a general question here:

Starting Saturday I've been getting major pixelation (sp?) on channels that have always been fine. WRSP now does not come in for me and WEEK which is a short distance of my home has to be tweaked just right to come in and it will dip out.

Granted, I'm using a set top still but it's the same set top I've always used.

I guess my question is what the heck could change to cause this?

FYI, no new structures or construction or obstructions in or around my house and neighborhood.

Edit: I've just spent a little more time with my TV and I get strong signal readings 70's on the digital channels but major pixelation on all of them. Unwatchable. The Direct TV signal and channels are fine so it would seem to not be my TV.
post #552 of 4975 Old 04-19-2004, 08:21 PM

Excellent surround sound on the ABC movie on WAND tonight. Keep it up guys. I wish everyone else sounded that good.

doplar17
post #553 of 4975 Old 04-20-2004, 07:10 PM

For the last couple of weeks I have been unable to recieve 17-1 or 23-1 on a consistent basis or at all and I live with in 15 miles of the transmitters. I am using an outdoor antenna in my attic and with the next step up in size antenna pointed towards peoria i can get 25-1, 31-1, 43-1, 46-4, 47-1. What gives? Also tonight no audio on WEEK 25-1.
post #554 of 4975 Old 04-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

last couple of weeks I have been unable to recieve 17-1 or 23-1 on a consistent basis

They are coming in good and strong in Champaign. However the lip-sync problem persists. Anyone know of a fix? If it was just one tuner, I'd blame that, but I get it on both ATSC tuners I have, though it is worse in the DISH 811.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #555 of 4975 Old 04-21-2004, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

My head hurts.

I just got email from Russ Hamilton informing me that he had put through waiver approval on my behalf, and gave me a 10-digit reference number for the approval.

I call Dish and speak with the wonderful folks in India, who inform me that my waiver requests were all denied (the most recent being from back in February, long before I ever spoke with Mr. Hamilton). I give them the 10-digit number. CSR sounds confused as to what the number is. They put me on hold for 5 minutes, then come back and say that no such number exists. They tell me that I have to have WCIA fax them a form.

This flies in the face of what Mr. Hamilton had told me, that it was all handled electronically.

Is there any different method of contating Dish to get someone who actually knows the HD waiver process?

This is agonizingly tedious...

-Dan

post #556 of 4975 Old 04-21-2004, 12:27 PM

WAND is not carrying the Super Bowl. Fox is carrying it. We will not have it again until 2007. Also, WAND is already at full power, not half power.

doplar17
post #557 of 4975 Old 04-21-2004, 01:11 PM

heavyharmonies,

We had a similar situation, and we basically just told the DISH CSR the following:

"WCIA says that they realize you'd rather have a fax, but all they are obligated to do is approve the waiver online, which they have done, and you should be able to get it from the website."

At that point the CSR said it might take a while to get it that way, because it's a more complicated process, etc., and we said "fine, we'll wait." It actually didn't take that long. I think the channels came on within a day.

So I'd say try again... it worked for us. We still don't get CBS-HD, but it's because we don't have a dish pointed at the right satellite. We do get KCBS and WCBS in SD, so at least we know the waiver works.

Can somebody who does have this working explain what we'd need to do to actually get CBS-HD? Right now we have a Dish 500. My understanding is that we'd need to put up another dish and point it at 61.5 or 148. Is that correct? How much would the equipment cost, or would DISH provide us with the equipment for free?

Thanks,
Erick
post #558 of 4975 Old 04-21-2004, 01:16 PM

I'll also add that I'm seeing an audio sync problem on WAND, with both a DISH 811 and a pcHDTV card.
post #559 of 4975 Old 04-21-2004, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can somebody who does have this working explain what we'd need to do to actually get CBS-HD? Right now we have a Dish 500. My understanding is that we'd need to put up another dish and point it at 61.5 or 148. Is that correct? How much would the equipment cost, or would DISH provide us with the equipment for free?

It gets more complicated. I just got off the phone with a Dish rep, and they introduced a whole new level of complexity to this. According to him, not only would I have to install a second dish, but since they do not have any 4-satellite switches available yet, I cannot combine the feed from the 61.5 satellite with the SuperDish feed (SuperDish points to satellites at the 105, 110, and 119 locations).

Until a 4-sat switch comes out (he says they are in the works), I would have to have a separate receiver to watch local HD on, and another one to watch everything else.

If this is true, it's more of a mess than it's worth.

-Dan

post #560 of 4975 Old 04-21-2004, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
We're moving forward on WCCU, and are ordering the equipment this week. We do plan to be on in time for FOX's move to 720pHD this fall.

Hallelujah!

If WICD gets on the air soon and WCCU follows by the Fox deadline (football season), I'll probably get an HD-TIVO from DirecTV and say goodbye to Bell from Canada. And maybe if all the other major networks are broadcasting HD in this market, Nextstar (WCIA) will feel the heat. PBS is annoying, but I can get that off my big dish (Nebraska's state PBS service has an HD feed available via the 4DTV big dish system).

Things seem to finally be turning the corner.

John C.
post #561 of 4975 Old 04-21-2004, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by les_S
Also tonight no audio on WEEK 25-1.

I didn't have audio on WEEK 25 (57-1) tonight either. I have heard others report this as well for HD programming. Anyone hear anything from them (no pun intended).
post #562 of 4975 Old 04-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would have to have a separate receiver to watch local HD on, and another one to watch everything else.

Or you could take the LNB from the Superdish that you use to get locals and put it on a dish pointed at 61.5. You lose locals via Dish but I can get all of them OTA with an indoor antenna (from Southwest Champaign). That's what I'm doing and it is reasonably convenient.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #563 of 4975 Old 04-22-2004, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I called WICD today and they have their digital microwave up and
working. A few minor problems remain, some boards will
hopefully arrive tomorrow. They claim it is just a matter of fixing
every little problem up as each other small one crops up, and then
they will be on in HD. This is good news.

Doug McDonald
post #564 of 4975 Old 04-23-2004, 08:10 AM

Bloomington - Peoria 19 and 31 won't stay locked.
Have a cm 3020 mounted 6ft above the roof on a 2 story home.
Have a cm 7777 pre-amp, rotor and LST-3100a tuner. Decatur and Springfield come in ok. Wtvp from peoria comes in ok. Week comes and gos.
Have picked up nothing from Champaign. Is this normal or should I be getting all Peoria stations and some Champaign?
Mike

Bloomington IL
post #565 of 4975 Old 04-23-2004, 09:46 AM

In Normal, I can get with Built-in HD tuner on Mitsu WS-55513

WYZZDT 43.01
WHOIDT 19.01
WAOEDT 59.39
WEEKDT 57.01
WTVP 46.01
WMBDDT 31.01 - comes in most of the time
WTVPHD 46.04

With a RadioShack stealth Antenna on my roof

Im thinking of getting a second bigger antenna to pick up springfeild
post #566 of 4975 Old 04-23-2004, 11:37 AM

Verboten--

How is your strength on WTPV and WAOE? I am in Bloomington by the airport and cannot get a consistent signal on those with my 7 foot directional from Radio Shack, mounted on the roof and cm amp. I get all other Peoria stations fine.

Are you using an amp at all and what is your cable run? I am at just over 30 to the amp and 60 after. I was thinking that maybe an inline amp may help but am not sure.
post #567 of 4975 Old 04-23-2004, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tbone1218
Bloomington -

Have picked up nothing from Champaign. Is this normal or should I be getting all Peoria stations and some Champaign?
Mike

Getting Champaign stations WCIA and WICD is unlikely in Bloomington at their current pathetic power levels. At full power WCIA should be fairly easy,
WICD might still be extremely hard. WILL will be easy when they come on. WCIA and WILL are just barely under the horizon.

WILL is getting tired of my bothering them asking when they will be on ....
somebody else should call them up and ask for engineering, and
ask. But remember, they were scheduled for Jan. 15, 2004 by their
own count, then Feb. 15, 2004, then they reneged.

Doug McDonald
post #568 of 4975 Old 04-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

The following Website makes it easy to send e-mail to your Congressman and Senators expressing support for a proposed amendment to SHIVA to allow satellite carriers to provide HD programming if local stations refuse to do so:

http://www.iwantmyhdtv.com/iwanthdtv/index.jsp

It only takes a few minutes to send the e-mail and may make a difference when Congress takes up this issue.

MIKE

MIKE

--H. L. Mencken
post #569 of 4975 Old 04-23-2004, 08:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by tbone1218
Decatur and Springfield come in ok. Wtvp from peoria comes in ok. Week comes and gos.

I am just North of the Bloomington airport with a 4 bay CM antenna, on roter w/ CM 7777 preamp, just above the roof line. I get 57-1 very strong. 19-1, 46-1, 46-4, and WRSP-44 out of Spfld are all very good. I can pull both WCIA and WCID with the antenna pointed correctly pretty reliabily. The shakey one is 31-1 and 43-1 is even worse.

I continue to try to pull a CBS HD (St. Louis-56, Quincy-29, Indy-9, South Bend-30, Rockford-41) just to make me more upset that we can't get anything here.
post #570 of 4975 Old 04-23-2004, 09:31 PM

I have a Samsung TS160 pointed at Peoria Bloomington with the Radio Shack VU-190 XR. I recieve 25-1, 31-1, 43-1, 46-4, 47-1 all with a very strong signal. For some reason I don't get 19-1 and when I type in the channel it says invalid. However I do get 19 just fine. Is 19-1 located on another frequency like 25-1?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page