help with homemade antenna - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
help with homemade antenna

I have a couple of friends that have purchased an antenna and they get about 15 channels. I have read online and watched a few videos on youtube where people have said you can build one that will work just as good. I cant seem to get mine to work quite right. The only channels I get are 5 from local less then 10 miles away. They both have theirs mounting in their attics and mine is just on the ground floor level. I am not sure if the issue is something is built wrong, or I just need to elevate mine. I also notice that everyone seems to wire theirs in the middle.

1) Does it have to be wired in the middle? Mine is just wired at the bottom. If so why? Id love to learn the reason...
2) Do I have to have a balun attached? If so, again why and what is the best kind / hertz i need?

here is a picture of what I have so far:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0676.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	725898  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 05-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You'll probably get a response at the forum at Make sure to include your TVFool report so that respondents can tell what is possible at your location.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-28-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 76
There can be a huge reception difference from an attic/roof location comparing to an indoor ground floor setup.
Start there first, putting your homemade antenna at least to a similar elevation as your friends .... then if there is still a big difference it would be time to check other factors ...
Sponsored Links
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page