post #391 of 1189 Old 09-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

You should be able to receive them. Hopefully you're not right up by the river. Otherwise you should see them. Heck I could get a live shot from Old Settler's day from the bank!!

It's weird? I look on antennaweb.org and I see that the Fox tower is right in line with the other towers that I get and it's the same distance (same tower?) and no dice. Whatever, I'll just sit tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1189 Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 AM

Liked: 10
thats the same probelm im having, except i cant get CBS
post #393 of 1189 Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgags6 View Post

thats the same probelm im having, except i cant get CBS

Rockford or Madison?
post #394 of 1189 Old 09-24-2006, 10:02 AM

I cant get the madison CBS, but i get all the others.
post #395 of 1189 Old 09-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

As I said in post #390 3.1 is the most difficult to get.
post #396 of 1189 Old 09-24-2006, 12:36 PM

well so much for WQRF broadcasting in HD today
post #397 of 1189 Old 09-24-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Whitford View Post

As I said in post #390 3.1 is the most difficult to get.

And that because analog WPWR-50 in Chicago, 5 million watts at 1,800', causes interference. 3.1 is at high power.

Also noticed WQRF at no HD today...hopefully soon. There are upgrades going on at WQRF and at their CBS sttions in Peoria and Champaign over the next month.

Gilbert
post #398 of 1189 Old 09-25-2006, 10:27 AM

I'm wondering - Does WIFR-DT broadcast the CBS network shows in 5.1 ??
Not set up to receive 5.1 here yet but hope to be soon.
Thanks
post #399 of 1189 Old 09-26-2006, 03:18 PM

No I dont believe that any of the locals in rockford broadcast in 5.1
post #400 of 1189 Old 09-27-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I dont believe that any of the locals in rockford broadcast in 5.1

I know WTVO does broadcast in 5.1. I've crashed the Dolby Encoder many times.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #401 of 1189 Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdavis View Post

I'm wondering - Does WIFR-DT broadcast the CBS network shows in 5.1 ??
Not set up to receive 5.1 here yet but hope to be soon.
Thanks

Reliable sources believe so.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #402 of 1189 Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

As of 10:30 PM on 9/29/06, WQRF-DT, at a mere 2.3 kilowatts, has become the final "full power" (I know, I know) station in the Rockford market to go HD.
As I type this, they're still obviously hooking stuff up, but they are now 720p,
and I am guessing that they are passing DD 5.1 audio. You know how good their
upconvert looks. Now that they're using the latest and spankin' new HD encoders,
I betcha NFL football is going to look real sharp!

For those of you with high def TV's hooked up to decent antennas, congratulations. You are going to have a great weekend. Next goal is full power in February 2009, so sayeth corporate HQ.

Edit: 11:05 PM...back to 480i. May have had a problem, who knows, but they're
obviously getting very close!

Gilbert
post #403 of 1189 Old 09-29-2006, 10:02 PM

Thats great news!
post #404 of 1189 Old 09-30-2006, 12:55 PM

I live in Byron and can recieve 13, 17, +23. What power are those stations running at and do you think I will be able to recieve FOX at 2.3 power?
post #405 of 1189 Old 09-30-2006, 01:32 PM

WQRF (39.1) is configuring the Fox supplied equipment for HD at this time. They havn't been on in 720p at all yet. But keep your fingers crossed. It could happen in time for football this Sunday.
Also they are looking to be full power by year end. They will be on WTVO's tower.

Byron should be able to get them now with a rooftop antenna with good cable.
(Belden 8192) RG-6 works best. Stay away from the cheap stuff. You want the best shield possible.
post #406 of 1189 Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ast Chf View Post

WQRF (39.1) is configuring the Fox supplied equipment for HD at this time. They havn't been on in 720p at all yet. But keep your fingers crossed. It could happen in time for football this Sunday.
Also they are looking to be full power by year end. They will be on WTVO's tower.

(Belden 8192) RG-6 works best. Stay away from the cheap stuff. You want the best shield possible.

Hi Assistant Chief,

I had them in at 720p briefly Friday night during a tweak. Maybe that was an accident, but in either case...a birdie told me it may not be until sometime this week. Of course, if you are the WQRF Assistant Chief in-the-know, then just call me "Assistant Chef".

NewT...Re: receiving WQRF-DT: in my install, I used quad-shielded RG-6 (copper core) from Lowe's. Got it on sale for half price, utterly stunned. OK, it wasn't Belden, but it was still very good and a steal for the price. Even with my ChannelMaster 4228 on the north side of and inside my attic, WQRF-DT locks easily for me here in DeeeeeKalb and at a friend's house in Waterman 10 miles south of me using a large Winegard combo antenna and a ChannelMaster 7777 preamp for both of us.

Power as of right now:

WREX-DT: 160 kw
WTVO-DT: 190 kw
WIFR-DT: 53 kw
WQRF-DT 2.3 kw (with, as "Ast Chf" notes, 1 mw by 1/1/2007, easily becoming Rockford's strongest digital station)

Edit: OK, at 10:45 PM Saturday 9/30/06, they are doing "stretch-o-vision". They are
doing something to try to fix that. It actually looks like the HD feed stretched. It is!!!
The upconverted SD commercials don't look quite as sharp now. Must be going through new equipment that needs to be tweaked. So they are now EXTREMELY close to getting this. Man, they really want Sunday NFL in HD, gang!

Gilbert
post #407 of 1189 Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're not trying hard enough!!! Don't make me come out there, I know where you work.

post #408 of 1189 Old 09-30-2006, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

You're not trying hard enough!!! Don't make me come out there, I know where you work.

Wow, HVS! You scared him! And at 11:30 PM, WQRF is passing 720p, I see the Fox HD-only logo cut off at bottom right. They got some work to do, but he's really close. Making the poor dude work in Rockford on Saturday night. Have mercy!

(And way to go, to whoever is putting in the extra 10 miles!!!!! (Standing ovation))

Gilbert
post #409 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 AM

The blue logo was a leftover from a firmware upgrade. I blasted it at 7:15ish.

Fox didnt have ANY HD programming tonight so stretch OOO vision was automatic on their part unfortunatly. Our local up-converted video looks excelent with the new Evertz up-converters compared to others we've demo'd. I'm looking forward to seeing the HD games on Sunday.

Dekalb can get us now from any 20 foot+ agl elevation for the most part. Our signal kicks to the SE. I was there and east to Cortland with our live truck doing field strength measurments and only had 10-15 feet of mast in the air in the south lot of the new arena and over by Annnie Glidden/38. We were received in Kingston/ Malta/Kirkland at ground level. Obviously the bad areas in the west and north will improve greatly once we go high power in a couple months.

Quad shield is awsome. Basicly anything rated at 70%+ shielding will do for the avarage household length. Quad is 90+. Obviously stay away from ordinary RG-59. Most of that is 40-60%. You'll lose 70% of your UHF signal before it gets anywhere near your Rx. Good cable is essencial when it comes to anything digital. Use good F connectors also and make sure there's no braid sticking out the rear of them.
post #410 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The blue logo was a leftover from a firmware upgrade. I blasted it at 7:15ish.

Fox didnt have ANY HD programming tonight so stretch OOO vision was automatic on their part unfortunatly. Our local up-converted video looks excelent with the new Evertz up-converters compared to others we've demo'd. I'm looking forward to seeing the HD games on Sunday.

Dekalb can get us now from any 20 foot+ agl elevation for the most part. Our signal kicks to the SE. I was there and east to Cortland with our live truck doing field strength measurments and only had 10-15 feet of mast in the air in the south lot of the new arena and over by Annnie Glidden/38. We were received in Kingston/ Malta/Kirkland at ground level. Obviously the bad areas in the west and north will improve greatly once we go high power in a couple months.

Quad shield is awsome. Basicly anything rated at 70%+ shielding will do for the avarage household length. Quad is 90+. Obviously stay away from ordinary RG-59. Most of that is 40-60%. You'll lose 70% of your UHF signal before it gets anywhere near your Rx. Good cable is essencial when it comes to anything digital. Use good F connectors also and make sure there's no braid sticking out the rear of them.

Hey AC,

OK. Weird, it looked like you were showing HD stuff because I was getting more on the screen than analog. Must be my TV. Any chance you could kill the stretch during non-HD programs? You obviously lose quality when you do that. WTVO looks good with 4:3. When it was stretched...ugh. After you get some sleep and a few days off for your hard work, can you make it so?

As for your quad shielded comments, "standing O" again! Be safe rather than sorry. RG-59 loss is bru-tal, as you note. I would go even further and say excellent cable is needed for anything digital. I am QS RG-6 from antenna to TV,
including all of my "jumpers". And of course, the #1 reception problem is
typically bad connections/poor connectors.

Your station group in Rockford is in the best position by far for market penetration.
WREX is good but is on 54, difficult for some antennas to handle. I wish they could have gone 1 mil watts, but that's an electric bill they decided they couldn't handle; can't blame them there. WIFR gets killed by WOCH-CA 41 in Chicago to the east and southeast, and at 53 kw, doesn't have the punch to go west very well into the
hills and the valleys from the Rock River in Ogle county to the west side of Freeport and west. I hope that changes after analog bye-bye. WTVO is in a great channel position for most antennas to handle very well, and gets little interference except from South Bend on tropo nights...but your 190 kw stomps on that in your ADI. One million watters on 42...
speaks for itself. I just wish you had that at 2,000' AGL. Would be nice to see
you in Chicago.

And if HVS keeps giving you hassle, don't worry. We know where he works!

P.S. Any chance you could use 2 mb of that leftover 19.3 mb pie to add your
17 StormTracker to 39.2? This is the only market in the region that I know of that doesn't have a weather subchannel on any full-power station.

Gilbert
post #411 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 AM

Hi all,

Just got an HDTV and am currently using some rabbitears. I am able to pull in WIFR and WTVO, but no other digital stations. I live in Rockford in the Alpine/Spring Creek area (top of the hill). I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for a different indoor antenna? I realize that isn't the ideal setup, but that's what I have to live with for now.

I am looking to get WQRF(which sounds like a slim chance for now until they boost the signal) and WREX. Below are my results from antennaweb:

Call sign Network City State Compass Miles Freq.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIFR-DT 23.1 CBS ROCKFORD IL 270° 6.9 41
WTVO-DT 17.1 ABC ROCKFORD IL 265° 7.0 16
WQRF-DT 39.1 FOX ROCKFORD IL 265° 7.0 42
WREX-DT 13.1 NBC ROCKFORD IL 271° 10.4 54
post #412 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 PM

its a great day, WQRF is in HD now
post #413 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclerok View Post

Hi all,

Just got an HDTV and am currently using some rabbitears. I am able to pull in WIFR and WTVO, but no other digital stations. I live in Rockford in the Alpine/Spring Creek area (top of the hill). I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for a different indoor antenna? I realize that isn't the ideal setup, but that's what I have to live with for now.

I am looking to get WQRF(which sounds like a slim chance for now until they boost the signal) and WREX. Below are my results from antennaweb:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should be able to get everything with a "Silver Sensor" antenna. More than likely, you are getting "ghosts" (multipath) which is keeping you from getting WIFR and WQRF. I would say two things:

1. If you are using "rabbit ears" and nothing else, that's a VHF antenna. I'm surprised you're getting anything! Move 'em around if you can, but keep them short. UHF wavelengths mean your antenna rods need to be pretty small.

2. A Radio Shack combo antenna that sits on your TV may work very well since you are so close to the transmitters. That's what I would do.

3. Eventually, if you want to go for broke, get a ChannelMaster 4221 or 4228 with a rotor and get Madison and some Chicago stations as well.

Gilbert
post #414 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

its a great day, WQRF is in HD now

I can compare WFLD-DT 31 Chicago with WQRF by pushing a button. I show
no difference in the quality of each picture. Both are fantastic. Ast Chf, where do we send the check? (Oh yeah, Alpine Road. )

I assume the setup is not yet complete, so not every program will be in HD for a while? And thanks for killing the stretchy on the 480i stuff. It looks GREAT!

Are you passing 5.1 audio?

Gilbert
post #415 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

1. If you are using "rabbit ears" and nothing else, that's a VHF antenna. I'm surprised you're getting anything! Move 'em around if you can, but keep them short. UHF wavelengths mean your antenna rods need to be pretty small.

I guess I could have been more specific. I'm actually using a rabbit ear/loop combo antenna that I bought from RadioShack(no gain control).

I think my next move is going to be trying a "silver sensor" type antenna. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
post #416 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 02:27 PM

No plans yet with the extra bandwidth but I'll toss the idea around.
(Find me a sponsor for it and its' a done deal

I'll look into the 4x3/16x9 issue tomorrow and attempt to "make it so" Right now I need sleep.

WTVO digital is running at 85%. When we kick it up to 100 we hit downtown Chicago with ease. Tube life span is a major concern at $37k each so we keep the power on the low side of legal.
post #417 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No plans yet with the extra bandwidth but I'll toss the idea around.
(Find me a sponsor for it and its' a done deal

Can I toss ya $10? :-) Seriously, though, it's community service. And it's not
being seen 23 hours and 50 minutes out of the day. Throw it on cable and run
"crawl" ads or still images in a corner like they do in the other markets, and
you make some bucks and get more exposure. If nothing else, it's a loss leader.
I should have been in weather marketing!
Quote:

I'll look into the 4x3/16x9 issue tomorrow and attempt to "make it so" Right now I need sleep.

Well, I saw you tweaking during the bull riding stuff and it's back to nice-looking 4:3 now. Go get some rest!
Quote:

WTVO digital is running at 85%. When we kick it up to 100 we hit downtown Chicago with ease. Tube life span is a major concern at $37k each so we keep the power on the low side of legal.

190 kw x .85 = 161.5 kw. I assume you're allowed 15% variance? 161 kw does the trick for covering Rockford's ADI nicely. 15% less gains you significantly more life?

Anyway, I now expect more lurkers coming onboard to ask how they can get WQRF-DT, since cable and sat won't be picking it up anytime soon (well, OK, maybe Dish Network).

Gilbert
post #418 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 04:15 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here and am very interested in getting WQRF-DT. Sebenste, why do you say that cable and sat won't be carrying it anytime soon?

Thanks for all the info!!
post #419 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclerok View Post

Hi all,

The first thing I would try is a dedicated UHF antenna.

Something like the Zenith Silver Sensor (first choice) or the Radio Shack double bowtie (if you can still find one).
post #420 of 1189 Old 10-01-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

The first thing I would try is a dedicated UHF antenna.

Something like the Zenith Silver Sensor (first choice) or the Radio Shack double bowtie (if you can still find one).

I went out today and bought a Silver Sensor from Circuit City. It boosted my signal from WTVO and WIFR by about 20%, but I'm still not able to get any signal from WQRF or WREX. Any other suggestions besides an outdoor antenna? I know that I'll be able to get WQRF when they finally go full power(unfortunately after football season...), but I'm confused as to why WREX isn't coming in at all. I'm not getting any static on the analog of WQRF or WREX, but there is some slight ghosting, although better since I've gotten the Silver Sensor. Thanks for your continued help.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page