Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 1189 Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemascope View Post

My set is 1080P (Sony Grand Wega SXRD), but the HDMI only accepts up to 1080i.

Which model do you have? I know the A2000 and XBR2 accept 1080p through the HDMI. Not sure about the XBR1 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1189 Old 10-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Does anyone know if/when CW will go HD in Rockford?
post #483 of 1189 Old 10-10-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclerok View Post

Does anyone know if/when CW will go HD in Rockford?

WREX-DT, as well as any other station, doesn't have the available bandwidth to broadcast 2 HD signals at the same time. The 19mbs bandwidth allows for one HD and 1 (quality) SD channel. So technically no station would be able to broadcast a second service in HD.
post #484 of 1189 Old 10-10-2006, 07:08 PM

Oh well, it looks like WBUW from Madison has their HD feed back up for now. For some reason I thought you could carry either 4 SD channels or 2 HD channels.
post #485 of 1189 Old 10-11-2006, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Oh well, it looks like WBUW from Madison has their HD feed back up for now. For some reason I thought you could carry either 4 SD channels or 2 HD channels.

WElllllll technically you can have 2 HD at 8.8mbps or 6 SD at 3 mbps. But why?? HD at 9 mbps is practically good SD video. Chicago has 1 DTV that has 6 subchannels.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #486 of 1189 Old 10-11-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which model do you have? I know the A2000 and XBR2 accept 1080p through the HDMI. Not sure about the XBR1 though.

I have the 60" XBR1, and according to the gurus elsewhere on this site, itr will not accept a true 1080P.

I talked to the sales manager for Sony at CEDIA to see if a board level fix might be available for a nominal upgrade charge (plus installation by a tech).

They were unsure, but optimistic that this might be possible!!
If it can happen, I doubt that it would be a recall or under warranty in any way, but I would be happy if an upgrade were available to tweaky owners of the Gen1 60".

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #487 of 1189 Old 10-11-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVChief View Post

Its nice to see someone who understands how things work. You are correct in the cost part of HD. Currently our stations only retransmit HD signals from the networks. Most stations in this size market do not broadcast anything local HD. A majority of the talk shows and game shows you see are recorded on tape and played back at time of air. As far as I know, no station in our local market has HD cameras, HD recording decks, and HD players.
On a side note, I will gladly accept your personal check to purchase all this equipment and all the other things I really really need.

Maybe I wasn't clear about the Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune thing. Both of these game shows are national shows coming from a national network feed, correct? Both of these game shows are now produced in HD (in case you did not know). So, wouldn't the national network feed be shown in HD. In which case, you would just retransmit the national network HD feed, just like you do for the primetime HD programs?

So, you already have the equipment to this, correct? It doesn't cost any more $$ to do it at any specific time of the day, does it?

That is what I meant by "if the program in in HD, show it in HD."

Please explain why Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are not being shown in HD on WREX-DT. Thanks!
post #488 of 1189 Old 10-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjukebox View Post

Maybe I wasn't clear about the Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune thing. Both of these game shows are national shows coming from a national network feed, correct? Both of these game shows are now produced in HD (in case you did not know). So, wouldn't the national network feed be shown in HD. In which case, you would just retransmit the national network HD feed, just like you do for the primetime HD programs?

So, you already have the equipment to this, correct? It doesn't cost any more $$ to do it at any specific time of the day, does it?

That is what I meant by "if the program in in HD, show it in HD."

Please explain why Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are not being shown in HD on WREX-DT. Thanks!

TV Networks distribute their SD and HD programs on two different satellite feeds and affiliates are equipped with two different receivers and pass through the feeds on their SD and HD channels simultaneously while being fed from the network.

Similarly, syndicated programs like Wheel and Jeopardy are sent in both SD and HD to stations carrying, but if not "passed through" in real time the shows need to be delayed for broadcast.

SD recording is universal among TV stations, but few have yet to invest in devices to store and forward HD programming.

So if the program is in HD does not necessarily mean the station has the ability to record it in HD and play it back in HD translated in time.
post #489 of 1189 Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

WElllllll technically you can have 2 HD at 8.8mbps or 6 SD at 3 mbps. But why?? HD at 9 mbps is practically good SD video. Chicago has 1 DTV that has 6 subchannels.

WElllllll technically, if you're referring to Pax, it would be 5 subchannels, along with the main one. And the 5th subchannel currently isn't carrying anything. Although, I guess they are all equivelent to subchannels, since the main one probably doesn't take up any more bandwith that any of the others.

There is a PBS channel in Milwaukee that has 6 subs (and 7 total), though. Yikes.
post #490 of 1189 Old 10-11-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

TV Networks distribute their SD and HD programs on two different satellite feeds and affiliates are equipped with two different receivers and pass through the feeds on their SD and HD channels simultaneously while being fed from the network.

Similarly, syndicated programs like Wheel and Jeopardy are sent in both SD and HD to stations carrying, but if not "passed through" in real time the shows need to be delayed for broadcast.

SD recording is universal among TV stations, but few have yet to invest in devices to store and forward HD programming.

So if the program is in HD does not necessarily mean the station has the ability to record it in HD and play it back in HD translated in time.

Thanks for the explanation. One more question; about syndication. So, what about the newly produced showings of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, those are syndicated too? I always thought syndication just had to do with old episodes.

Are you saying that WREX-DT doesn't show the new episodes of Jeopardy and Wheel at the time of the national NBC broadcast feed? Or maybe there isn't a national NBC broadcast of these shows (even the new ones). I guess I really don't understand what syndication is.

One other thing... consumers can now record HD in their homes (affordably). I have a Series 3 TiVo and record everything (including HD) for time-shifted viewing. Why shouldn't I expect a local broadcaster to have the necessary equipment?

Thanks,
Jazzjukebox
post #491 of 1189 Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 PM

Ok. So, I did a wikipedia search on syndication. So, these two programs show new episodes as "first-run syndication?" And, if the show is on, say TV Land, cable network, it's "off-network syndication?"

Either way, WREX-DT doesn't have the equipment to show it HD. :-(

From what I've heard Jeopardy in HD is like a whole new Jeopardy. Maybe someday.

-Jazzjukebox
post #492 of 1189 Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

WElllllll technically, if you're referring to Pax, it would be 5 subchannels, along with the main one. And the 5th subchannel currently isn't carrying anything. Although, I guess they are all equivelent to subchannels, since the main one probably doesn't take up any more bandwith that any of the others.

There is a PBS channel in Milwaukee that has 6 subs (and 7 total), though. Yikes.

Wow thats like under 2.5 mbps. Yikes is right. Yeah gotta love Pax.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #493 of 1189 Old 10-12-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Yes technicly you can sqeeeeeeeze 2 in there, but it depends on the type on content being aired. Anything with fast moving detailed video (ie a football game) would need the extra bandwidth. Stationary shots (ie photographs/ still graphics and the like without lots of panning and zooming) can accomodate the compression nessesary to get 2 HD signals into the 19mbps bandwidth at 8.8 each without seeing any pixilization, artifacting or worse (dropped packets)
post #494 of 1189 Old 10-12-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ast Chf View Post

Yes technicly you can sqeeeeeeeze 2 in there, but it depends on the type on content being aired. Anything with fast moving detailed video (ie a football game) would need the extra bandwidth. Stationary shots (ie photographs/ still graphics and the like without lots of panning and zooming) can accomodate the compression nessesary to get 2 HD signals into the 19mbps bandwidth at 8.8 each without seeing any pixilization, artifacting or worse (dropped packets)

Mmmmmmmmmm.............dropped packets...........

post #495 of 1189 Old 10-15-2006, 03:56 PM

Hello there! I've been lurking this site since I bought my Samsung HD set in May but decided to come out and play. I live in the southern part of Roscoe and get Charter cable out of Janesville so I get all NBC, CBS and ABC HD feeds from Madison but for some reason they don't carry the Fox network. Of course, I have been unable to get the Fox HD feed from OTA. I have an RCA ANT1250 indoor antenna that gets all the other locals fine. Does anyone here live near Roscoe and if so, what is your Fox feed like? It's so frustrating to not get Fox in HD because of MLB and NFL games. Thanks!
post #496 of 1189 Old 10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

FOX 47 from Madison is VHF, that's why it's harder to pick up. It's true # is 11.1 but on my tuner it is 47.1 and 47.2 The Tube which is a lousy music channel that needs to die.
post #497 of 1189 Old 10-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

BigCubFan,
I have the same antenna.

I live in the Roscoe / Rockton border and do not get FOX from Rockford. I get a strong signal (75 -80%) but no pic or sound.
post #498 of 1189 Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Hey gang,

I noticed 39-1 is stretched but still upconverted SD tonight for the ACLS
baseball game with the Mets. Ast Chief, can you check it out? Thanks!

Gilbert
post #499 of 1189 Old 10-17-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Hey gang,

I noticed 39-1 is stretched but still upconverted SD tonight for the ACLS
baseball game with the Mets. Ast Chief, can you check it out? Thanks!

The local upconverting is 4:3 as of this afternoon. Fox must be showing the game in SD and upconverting to 16:9. We have no control over their upconversion process.
post #500 of 1189 Old 10-17-2006, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The local upconverting is 4:3 as of this afternoon. Fox must be showing the game in SD and upconverting to 16:9. We have no control over their upconversion process.

First, my bad: you were showing 4:3, not stretched 16:9, but it was in SD. Now, I can get WFLD-DT from my location fine, and they were most definitely 16:9 aspect, and HD sans a few local and national breaks, of course.

Gilbert
post #501 of 1189 Old 10-18-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykretentiv View Post

BigCubFan,
I have the same antenna.

I live in the Roscoe / Rockton border and do not get FOX from Rockford. I get a strong signal (75 -80%) but no pic or sound.

Thanks for the response. It looks like they are going to power up soon so hopefully I won't have to run out and buy a new outdoor antenna.
post #502 of 1189 Old 10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As of tonight (10/18/06), it's back in 16:9 HD for the NLCS game, and looks
as sharp as WFLD-DT. I can't honestly tell the difference in quality between the two, and both look GREAT! So if you did something, you fixed it!

Next question: 1 million candles. Got any better idea yet?

Gilbert
post #503 of 1189 Old 10-19-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

As of tonight (10/18/06), it's back in 16:9 HD for the NLCS game, and looks
as sharp as WFLD-DT. I can't honestly tell the difference in quality between the two, and both look GREAT! So if you did something, you fixed it!

Next question: 1 million candles. Got any better idea yet?

No firm date yet. Will it be 60 days? Will it be 90 days?....Tune in tomorrow at this same bat time, this bat channel.
post #504 of 1189 Old 10-20-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm tuned in...............

post #505 of 1189 Old 10-20-2006, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm tuned in...............

I'll let you deal with the bats, too.

BTW, can anyone get ANY signal from WWTO-DT 10 out of Ottawa?
At 1400', the primary signal contour goes right up to the south side of
Rockford. I am getting it in DeKalb, but since I am in low area and going through my townhouse to get it, it's just above lock threshold.

Gilbert
post #506 of 1189 Old 10-22-2006, 02:26 PM

More problems at 39 today? It's a good thing 47-1 was coming in good, or I would have missed the Pack in HD. Since 47-1 was looking beautiful, I suppose network issues can be ruled out. Hope the new equipment hasn't lost the magic smoke inside that was making it work so well.
post #507 of 1189 Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9yty View Post

More problems at 39 today? It's a good thing 47-1 was coming in good, or I would have missed the Pack in HD. Since 47-1 was looking beautiful, I suppose network issues can be ruled out. Hope the new equipment hasn't lost the magic smoke inside that was making it work so well.

Problems at Fox actually. They left us off a list that programs our equipment when and where to tune for the HD content. They've got it figured out now
post #508 of 1189 Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Problems at Fox actually. They left us off a list that programs our equipment when and where to tune for the HD content. They've got it figured out now

And that probably explains the ALCS game not being in HD last week. Thanks for looking into it!

Gilbert
post #509 of 1189 Old 10-23-2006, 03:16 PM

May I trouble someone for a short answer to a question posed by one not so atuned to this HDTV signal stuff...?
I live on a hilltop out Old Sauk Rd and can see the two towers @ Hwy M & Mineral Point and the one just down the beltline to the East. I have a new Sony HDTV & Charter digital with their HD box/package. I want to watch the World Series in HD. I note Charter does not carry it around here ( something about not wanting to buckup to Fox?). I bought a cheap antenna. It only gets me two channels...3.1 & 3.4???
Am I correct in saying that, notwithstanding my proximity to the two towers, I am unable to get Fox HD because Charter does not carry it? Secondly, I am assuming that the antenna, at best, will only get what I already subscribe to (everything) and my current reception of only two channels is simply a question of improper equipment utilization?
My thanks...
post #510 of 1189 Old 10-23-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey gang,

The FCC released their proposed, final list of DTV channels and power allocations on Friday.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-06-150A2.xls

Notice that after analog shutdown, WREX-DT has requested 5.07 kw on channel 13! What's up with that? They're at 163.9 kw now! Why? Why? Whywhywhy so little power?

Gilbert
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page