post #511 of 1189 Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvralien View Post

May I trouble someone for a short answer to a question posed by one not so atuned to this HDTV signal stuff...?
I live on a hilltop out Old Sauk Rd and can see the two towers @ Hwy M & Mineral Point and the one just down the beltline to the East. I have a new Sony HDTV & Charter digital with their HD box/package. I want to watch the World Series in HD. I note Charter does not carry it around here ( something about not wanting to buckup to Fox?). I bought a cheap antenna. It only gets me two channels...3.1 & 3.4???
Am I correct in saying that, notwithstanding my proximity to the two towers, I am unable to get Fox HD because Charter does not carry it? Secondly, I am assuming that the antenna, at best, will only get what I already subscribe to (everything) and my current reception of only two channels is simply a question of improper equipment utilization?
My thanks...

Does the antenna you bought do VHF? Because Fox 47.1 is actually a VHF station at 11.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1189 Old 10-23-2006, 07:44 PM

It is an RCA " Amplified HDTV Antenna". Are you saying that a VHF antenna, notwithstanding reception, would pick it up?
post #513 of 1189 Old 10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

It is an RCA " Amplified HDTV Antenna". Are you saying that a VHF antenna, notwithstanding reception, would pick it up?

Hi YVR,

First, welcome to the forum!

OK, I'm from DeKalb, so I am trying to figure out were you are. Beltline...you're up in Madison...and the two TV towers are the ones they use up there, correct?

If so, this is easy. You have *too much* signal. When you turn up your radio to the point of distortion, you can't understand what people are singing. Same thing here in the sense that the TV signals are too strong, and are distorted to your TV.

Try "rabbit ears" with a "loop" UHF antenna. Wal-Mart and other stores have 'em for about $10. If you can see the Madison towers. With some adjusting, those 'ears should work just fine without an amp.

If I have mistaken you, and you're near the Rockford towers, I apologize but there's no changes to the thinking above. Use the same rabbit ears/loop antenna, unamplified.

Gilbert
post #514 of 1189 Old 10-24-2006, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the response. I am indeed over on the far west side of Madison. I am still not clear on the FOX HD. Am I correct that Charter does not have/purchase FOX HD here and therefor there would be no signal from one of the towers to try and pick up?
post #515 of 1189 Old 10-24-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I am indeed over on the far west side of Madison. I am still not clear on the FOX HD. Am I correct that Charter does not have/purchase FOX HD here and therefor there would be no signal from one of the towers to try and pick up?

The deal is Fox wants money from Charter to carry them. Charter is saying "no".
So, there it is. It's a standoff. The only way to see FOX HD right now in Madison is via over-the-air.

And most definitely, your amplified antenna is killing you. You are overwhelming your TV with signal, which is why you aren't getting anything. Heck, even a cheap wire hanging out of the input of your TV would probably do the trick!

Gilbert
post #516 of 1189 Old 10-25-2006, 09:33 AM

Success. Thank you both for the responses.
post #517 of 1189 Old 10-26-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

The deal is Fox wants money from Charter to carry them. Charter is saying "no".
So, there it is. It's a standoff. The only way to see FOX HD right now in Madison is via over-the-air.

And most definitely, your amplified antenna is killing you. You are overwhelming your TV with signal, which is why you aren't getting anything. Heck, even a cheap wire hanging out of the input of your TV would probably do the trick!

You can now receive FOX HD from Madison from Directv. I will be leaving Charter!!
post #518 of 1189 Old 10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruesch37 View Post

You can now receive FOX HD from Madison from Directv. I will be leaving Charter!!

Just a suggestion, but you might want to wait until you have Direct installed before you cancel Charter, so you can compare them.

Direct waters down their HD more than cable and their SD doesn't look that great, either.
post #519 of 1189 Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Just a suggestion, but you might want to wait until you have Direct installed before you cancel Charter, so you can compare them.

Direct waters down their HD more than cable and their SD doesn't look that great, either.

Directvs HD is as good as Charters. Plus I now get Fox in HD!!!!
post #520 of 1189 Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM

OK, I'm a noob at this so please go easy on me. My local cable company (Mediacom) is no longer carrying the CW so I'm investigating alternative methods to get the channel. From investigating online, it looks like the CW is being transmitted on 13.2 off of WREX's transmission. Is that right? I'm assuming I need a digital tuner to receive this feed? Also, I live about 40 miles west of Rockford, do you think I could get CW from this far away? What type of equipment do you recommed?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I wasn't sure where else to go.
post #521 of 1189 Old 10-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

The CW 13.2 isnt HD. If you can get 57.1 (32.1) out of Madison that is. You will a pretty good antenna and probaly an amp.
post #522 of 1189 Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matnlaci View Post

OK, I'm a noob at this so please go easy on me. My local cable company (Mediacom) is no longer carrying the CW so I'm investigating alternative methods to get the channel. From investigating online, it looks like the CW is being transmitted on 13.2 off of WREX's transmission. Is that right? I'm assuming I need a digital tuner to receive this feed? Also, I live about 40 miles west of Rockford, do you think I could get CW from this far away? What type of equipment do you recommed?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I wasn't sure where else to go.

Hello Matnlaci,

You came to the right place! Welcome to the forum. CW is indeed being broadcast on 13.2. You will need a digital tuner to get the feed; a Samsung SIR T-451 is a suggested decent tuner so long as you don't see "ghosts" on analog from your antenna...and I am assuming you only have an analog tuner on your TV at this point. Ebay has them at a decent price, but I have seen them at Circuit City for $225. If you aren't in the "hills" of Jo Daviess county, say 10 miles west of Freeport, and not blocked by any hills, you should be able to get it. Reference:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1130334.html

As for equipment: how high up will the antenna be? Outdoors or indoors? Either way, I recommend a ChannelMaster 4228 from Warren Electronics in the Quad Cities, roughly $60 with shipping (or drive to Moline and pick it up!). If the antenna HAS to stay in the attic (I recommend not pretty strongly), you'll need something like a ChannelMaster 4228 UHF antenna, also available at warrenelectronics.com, which I use and works great (in DeKalb, I can lock all but one channel from that antenna). It should continue to serve you well when WREX moves (FCC willing) in February 2009 to channel 13 (they broadcast on UHF channel 54 now).

I hope that helps you. You may also want the antenna on a rotor, because you probably will get the Quad Cities stations there as well, with the CM 4228 antenna.

Gilbert
post #523 of 1189 Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually in the hills of Stephenson County, Pearl City to be exact. I happen to be at the top of a hill, which helps.

The house I'm in now has an antenna tripod from a previous owner and the cables are still sitting there. I contacted a local antenna installer and he said it would be $200 for him to install an antenna. I also asked about having a rotor so I would have the ability to get the channels from Rockford as well as the channels from Madison. He said that I have a lot of trees obstructing my view to Rockford and so he would recommend against an antenna with a rotor as it couldn't be placed as high and he thinks I really need the height to be able to get a signal from Rockford. He said I have a clear shot to Madison, but basically I would have to decide between getting the Rockford stations or the Madison stations. I'm really mostly interested in getting a CW feed. He's going to come back out this weekend and he's going to hook it up and see what types of signal we get.

Do you think I'd be better off just trying to get one of the antennas you suggest and hooking it up myself since I already have the tripod mount on the roof and the cable run? It sounds like it would be cheaper. I'm really just interested in getting the most possible channels possible with the best possible signal possible.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
post #524 of 1189 Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matnlaci View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually in the hills of Stephenson County, Pearl City to be exact. I happen to be at the top of a hill, which helps.

The house I'm in now has an antenna tripod from a previous owner and the cables are still sitting there. I contacted a local antenna installer and he said it would be $200 for him to install an antenna. I also asked about having a rotor so I would have the ability to get the channels from Rockford as well as the channels from Madison. He said that I have a lot of trees obstructing my view to Rockford and so he would recommend against an antenna with a rotor as it couldn't be placed as high and he thinks I really need the height to be able to get a signal from Rockford. He said I have a clear shot to Madison, but basically I would have to decide between getting the Rockford stations or the Madison stations. I'm really mostly interested in getting a CW feed. He's going to come back out this weekend and he's going to hook it up and see what types of signal we get.

Do you think I'd be better off just trying to get one of the antennas you suggest and hooking it up myself since I already have the tripod mount on the roof and the cable run? It sounds like it would be cheaper. I'm really just interested in getting the most possible channels possible with the best possible signal possible.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

There's two things here. If all you really want is the CW, Zaphod is correct, you
want Madison's high-def CW feed . But it is farther away, and is therefore more subject to interference from the atmosphere (warm fronts, bad weather, etc).

On the other hand, as a backup, I'd want WREX 13.2 as well. I am with your installer that trees will pose reception problems. So this is my $.02...

Have your installer hook everything up. Then check to see if both Rockford and
Madison comes in. If they do, then go with a rotor. If not, go with the one that comes in...hopefully, Madison.

My guess is this: if I were that installer, I'd warn about the trees hampering reception, particularly in the summer and early fall because leaves attenuate
signal, and even worse, when they're fluttering in the wind, they and the branches they are attached to cause an uneven signal which can result in
breakups or even loss of signal. But, if the signal is strong enough, it will still come in.

My suggestion is to let him try and see what happens. Also, ask him to try to get the Quad City stations, too.

Gilbert
post #525 of 1189 Old 11-01-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You will need a digital tuner to get the feed; a Samsung SIR T-451 is a suggested decent tuner so long as you don't see "ghosts" on analog from your antenna...and I am assuming you only have an analog tuner on your TV at this point. Ebay has them at a decent price, but I have seen them at Circuit City for $225.

Just to let you know -

Samsung has a newer model that just came out, the DTB-H260F, which retails for around $170,00, but it's not too easy to find as of yet. Some people have had some luck finding them at various Best Buy stores.

There's an ongoing thread on them in the HDTV Reception Hardware section.
post #526 of 1189 Old 11-01-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to let you know -

Samsung has a newer model that just came out, the DTB-H260F, which retails for around $170,00, but it's not too easy to find as of yet. Some people have had some luck finding them at various Best Buy stores.

There's an ongoing thread on them in the HDTV Reception Hardware section.

Thanks! A serious bug has been reported with it though: it won't display 720p properly. THAT'S not good.

Gilbert
post #527 of 1189 Old 11-01-2006, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks! A serious bug has been reported with it though: it won't display 720p properly. THAT'S not good.

Yes, I was just reading over the thread and I saw that. Oh, well. Maybe a SIR-T451 would be better, as long as he doesn't have multipath issues. The 5th generation chips are supposed to be better at handling that, but there's been some talk that they're not as sensitive as far as distance. Kind of a trade-off, I guess.

The only issues with the T451 I know of are that the QAM tuner's frequency range isn't high enough to get all the channels sometimes. And then there's those infamous gray sidebars, which the newer one apparently doesn't have.
post #528 of 1189 Old 11-03-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I was just reading over the thread and I saw that. Oh, well. Maybe a SIR-T451 would be better, as long as he doesn't have multipath issues. The 5th generation chips are supposed to be better at handling that, but there's been some talk that they're not as sensitive as far as distance. Kind of a trade-off, I guess.

The only issues with the T451 I know of are that the QAM tuner's frequency range isn't high enough to get all the channels sometimes. And then there's those infamous gray sidebars, which the newer one apparently doesn't have.

Actually, it appears that problem was his TV, not the box. Matnlaci, any news?

Gilbert
post #529 of 1189 Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 PM

Hi, I live Poplar Grove, IL and I'm having trouble recieving WIFR-DT (23 analog, 42 digital). I can recieve the other Rockford channels on a Terrestrial Digital SR-15 UHF antenna with ease, but continue to have trouble with 23.1.

I have a two antenna setup, one Terrestrial Digital 91XG with a Winegard AP 8275 pre-amp pointed to Chicago (75 miles) with excellent performance. The 91XG is an awesome antenna, that's why I bought another Terrestrial Digital for the Rockford market.

13.1, 17.1, 39.1 come in good but 23.1 is hit or miss (mostly miss). I was wondering if anyone else has problems with this transmission?

If I could only get CBS from Chicago but that's a lost cause, I really don't want to put up a rotor and use my 91XG for Rockford, but maybe I'll have to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
post #530 of 1189 Old 11-03-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchwerks View Post

Hi, I live Poplar Grove, IL and I'm having trouble recieving WIFR-DT (23 analog, 42 digital). I can recieve the other Rockford channels on a Terrestrial Digital SR-15 UHF antenna with ease, but continue to have trouble with 23.1.

I have a two antenna setup, one Terrestrial Digital 91XG with a Winegard AP 8275 pre-amp pointed to Chicago (75 miles) with excellent performance. The 91XG is an awesome antenna, that's why I bought another Terrestrial Digital for the Rockford market.

13.1, 17.1, 39.1 come in good but 23.1 is hit or miss (mostly miss). I was wondering if anyone else has problems with this transmission?

If I could only get CBS from Chicago but that's a lost cause, I really don't want to put up a rotor and use my 91XG for Rockford, but maybe I'll have to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hello Switch,

Well, given that 39.1 comes in, it's likely not an antenna issue. Can you check 23 analog? How does that come in? If it is snowy, then somehow, some way your signal isn't good. Using an XG91, that's hard to believe. But...

My guess is that WOCH-CA Chicago or WMLW-CA Milwaukee analog low power channel 41 (from both cities) interferes. Proof: tune to channel 41 on an analog TV set hooked up to tht antenna. If you can see even a whisper of a signal on it, then you have analog interference, and I would say...wow. I don't know what would help. A Channelmaster 4228 antenna might help with its better mesh screen on the back.

Check the analog reception first when WIFR-DT is NOT coming in, and see what you can see on 41.

Gilbert
post #531 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Hello Switch,

Well, given that 39.1 comes in, it's likely not an antenna issue. Can you check 23 analog? How does that come in? If it is snowy, then somehow, some way your signal isn't good. Using an XG91, that's hard to believe. But...

My guess is that WOCH-CA Chicago or WMLW-CA Milwaukee analog low power channel 41 (from both cities) interferes. Proof: tune to channel 41 on an analog TV set hooked up to tht antenna. If you can see even a whisper of a signal on it, then you have analog interference, and I would say...wow. I don't know what would help. A Channelmaster 4228 antenna might help with its better mesh screen on the back.

Check the analog reception first when WIFR-DT is NOT coming in, and see what you can see on 41.

Thanks for the advice. Analog 23 does have some slight interference on it. I'm guessing you're write with channel 41 out of Chicago might be causing the problem. My 91XG is only used at Chicago and my smaller SR-15 is pointing toward Rockford on the same mast. I did have to play with the spacing as the closer the two antennas where to each other the more cancellation I was getting. So I moved them apparte as far as I could and it seemed to get better, however 23.1 is still a problem. I know if I disconnect my 91XG Chicago antenna that the smaller Rockford one would probably get 23.1 without problems but I want to keep both up otherwise I have to put a rotor up.

I also did notice that last July when 23.1 was out for about a week due to some transmission problems, I was picking up channel 41 digital Chicago on a channel scan, I can't believe the frequencies are the same!
post #532 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. Analog 23 does have some slight interference on it. I'm guessing you're write with channel 41 out of Chicago might be causing the problem. My 91XG is only used at Chicago and my smaller SR-15 is pointing toward Rockford on the same mast. I did have to play with the spacing as the closer the two antennas where to each other the more cancellation I was getting. So I moved them apparte as far as I could and it seemed to get better, however 23.1 is still a problem. I know if I disconnect my 91XG Chicago antenna that the smaller Rockford one would probably get 23.1 without problems but I want to keep both up otherwise I have to put a rotor up.

I also did notice that last July when 23.1 was out for about a week due to some transmission problems, I was picking up channel 41 digital Chicago on a channel scan, I can't believe the frequencies are the same!

Your practically my neighbor. I'm over by the lake.

I have never had an issue with 23-DT. I echo sebenste because 39 should be harder for you to hit out in our neck of the woods.

Perhaps the multi-antenna setup is introducing some multipath issues?

Jason
post #533 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 11:42 AM

It seems that since Friday evening, 13-1 and 13-2 are broadcasting no video. I checked my antenna signal strength on both channels and it's over 90, just no image on either channel.

All the other local DT stations are fine.

Still no signal as of this writing. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Blaine
post #534 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bingo! You've diagnosed your problem. Yep, WOCH-LP 41 Chicago (analog, actually) got the green light to stomp all over WIFR-DT's signal to the east of Rockford. WOCH is paying $$$ to WIFR for that. Given that WIFR went bankrupt a few years ago, anything to raise cash at this point is worth it to them, since they have so few digital viewers relative to analog, and to the west, they hit their community of license (Freeport) just fine. Your comment about how 41 Chicago came in when they were off the air is the dead-ringer giveaway of your problem.

How to fix? I thought you had an XG-91 pointed at Rockford. If you like the XG, get another for Rockford. That should solve your problem. The smaller antenna you're using now has a lower front-to-back ratio than you want, that is, it picks up signal from the back of the antenna as well stronger than you'd want it to be.

I have the same problem in DeKalb, except worse. I had to put aluminum foil on the back of my attic antenna (ChannelMaster 4228 8-bay mesh screen) to increase the front-to-back even more and block out WOCH. When WIFR-DT was off down here, I was getting WOCH nearly without any snow when I rotated it to point towards Chicago.

Gilbert
post #535 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjukebox View Post

It seems that since Friday evening, 13-1 and 13-2 are broadcasting no video. I checked my antenna signal strength on both channels and it's over 90, just no image on either channel.

All the other local DT stations are fine.

Still no signal as of this writing. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Blaine

Hi Blaine,

2:35 PM...13-1 and 13-2 look great, 13-1 in HD. Solid signal from DeeeeKalb.

Gilbert
post #536 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Hi Blaine,

2:35 PM...13-1 and 13-2 look great, 13-1 in HD. Solid signal from DeeeeKalb.

It looks like it's a problem with my Series 3 TiVo ATSC tuners. Reports are cropping up on the TiVo forum. Ugh! Looks like I gotta make a call to TiVo.

Blaine
post #537 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 03:43 PM

Maybe it's not a problem with my TiVo's tuner.

Maybe some of you engineer types can make some sense out of the following quote from the TiVo Series 3 forum about a similar problem with a local broadcaster in Florida(FOX).

(As mentioned in the post, my TiVo gets a signal lock, but no data lock on 13-1 and 13-2)

I'm more inclined to believe that something has changed on WREX's end than my new S3 TiVo has a faulty tuner, especially since all the other local DT stations are coming in fine. Granted, the TiVo engineer in the post below indicates that a fix will be coming for the TiVo software, but that the broadcaster can fix it on their end in the mean time.

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Anyway, here's the original TiVo post below.

--Blaine

> If you are getting your HD/digital channel OTA, then it
> sounds like you are experiencing same problem I discovered
> last week. I worked with TiVoJerry for several days and TiVo
> Engineering was able to isolate problem to an error in the
> broadcaster's PSIP table. This can be fixed by the
> broadcaster, but TiVo will also include a fix in a future
> software update which will ignore the error.
>
> From TiVoJerry:
>
> The problem is twofold:
>
> 1. The TVCT that FOX is publishing on frequencyIndex 22 does
> not provide a valid channel_TSID for the virtual channel. It
> should not be "0".
>
> 2. We weren't expecting a "0", but the good news is that we
> will fix it in a future software release (unknown ETA).
> Please check when you get the next update and I'll let you
> know if it was included or not. We have a candidate that may
> get pushed out soon, but it could leave the fix for this
> behind.
>
> To fix this, you could wait until we roll the software
> update. Or you could contact your provider and let them
> know.
>
> I originally discovered the problem on a local Fox channel.
> Since then, I've found a local independent channel has same
> problem. One symptom of the problem is that you will get a
> signal lock, but no data lock.
post #538 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjukebox View Post

Maybe it's not a problem with my TiVo's tuner.

Maybe some of you engineer types can make some sense out of the following quote from the TiVo Series 3 forum about a similar problem with a local broadcaster in Florida(FOX).

> I originally discovered the problem on a local Fox channel.
> Since then, I've found a local independent channel has same
> problem. One symptom of the problem is that you will get a
> signal lock, but no data lock.

I'd do 2 things. Since the WREX engineers don't post here, I'd call them up to see if there is a problem, and let them know what you're seeing. Second, I'd push TiVO for that fix. in the next release. If nothing else, one or the other should solve the problem.

Gilbert
post #539 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 08:44 PM

Blaine, something definitely happened on WREX's end Friday. (Either that or we've coincidentally had a similar problem.) My HDTV can no longer tune 13-1 or 13-2 any more, but my HDTV Wonder in my PC can. I forwarded your post with TivoJerry's comments to the WREX chief engineer email address.

Sean
post #540 of 1189 Old 11-04-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpuny View Post

Blaine, something definitely happened on WREX's end Friday. (Either that or we've coincidentally had a similar problem.) My HDTV can no longer tune 13-1 or 13-2 any more, but my HDTV Wonder in my PC can. I forwarded your post with TivoJerry's comments to the WREX chief engineer email address.

Sean

I just emailed him too. Hopefully, they can identify and fix the problem soon.

Thanks for your post to confirm a problem.

Blaine
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page