Rockford, IL - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1188 Old 01-07-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How close to the river are you?? The river valley up there is murder on RF.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1188 Old 01-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was only kidding hence the winking smiley. Boy if that sets you off I will avoid Beloit next weekend if Seattle wins. There might be a killer on the loose
post #633 of 1188 Old 01-07-2007, 08:16 PM

I'm in the area of Shopiere & Cranston roads. Well east of the river valley but near the turtle creek. I'd say my antenna is in the neighborhood of 20' high.

Grab a seat on the couch and watch the playoffs like your team is doing Jeff.
post #634 of 1188 Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

I'll be watching. I hope your team doesn't embarass themselves on national TV two games in a row.
post #635 of 1188 Old 01-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

In all seriousness it does suck that WQRF doesnt broadcast at higher power. Maybe you could get a real cheap VHF antenna and point it north and use a UHF/VHF combiner at the location of both antennas and would be able to get 47.1 out of Madison. They broadcast at a pretty strong signal strength.
post #636 of 1188 Old 01-12-2007, 06:25 AM

I am going to be moving to Roscoe (About 2 miles west of the river off of Bridge Street) at the end of the month from Gilberts. I previously lived in South Beloit three years ago and was able to receive CBS and ABC from Madison with a CM3677 and a CM 7777 preamp. At that time I never even got a blip on my signal meter for FOX and NBC from Madison. I also had a rotor to tune in the Rockford stations as well. At that time WREX was the only Rockford station doing Digital.

I was thinking of installing a CM 4228 with the 7777 preamp and rotor. to get both Rockford and Madison. (The main reason I use the preamp is because I have an antenna feed in four rooms of the house) My questions are am I going to be able to get good reception from WQRF? Do I have any chance at all of receiving FOX from Madison if I go with a VHF/UHF antenna. 3 years ago they were at very low power. Has anything changed there?

On another note I sure am going to miss All of the Chicago stations I get now OTA. The one thing I will not miss though is audio dropouts and freezing on WBBM when my refrigerator kicks on or my wife adjusts a dimmer somewhere in the house.
post #637 of 1188 Old 01-12-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ60 View Post

I am going to be moving to Roscoe (About 2 miles west of the river off of Bridge Street) at the end of the month from Gilberts. I previously lived in South Beloit three years ago and was able to receive CBS and ABC from Madison with a CM3677 and a CM 7777 preamp. At that time I never even got a blip on my signal meter for FOX and NBC from Madison. I also had a rotor to tune in the Rockford stations as well. At that time WREX was the only Rockford station doing Digital.

I was thinking of installing a CM 4228 with the 7777 preamp and rotor. to get both Rockford and Madison. (The main reason I use the preamp is because I have an antenna feed in four rooms of the house) My questions are am I going to be able to get good reception from WQRF? Do I have any chance at all of receiving FOX from Madison if I go with a VHF/UHF antenna. 3 years ago they were at very low power. Has anything changed there?

On another note I sure am going to miss All of the Chicago stations I get now OTA. The one thing I will not miss though is audio dropouts and freezing on WBBM when my refrigerator kicks on or my wife adjusts a dimmer somewhere in the house.

WQRF-DT you probably wont get until they go full power. (Which is coming soon)

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #638 of 1188 Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ60 View Post

I am going to be moving to Roscoe I was thinking of installing a CM 4228 with the 7777 preamp and rotor. to get both Rockford and Madison. (The main reason I use the preamp is because I have an antenna feed in four rooms of the house) My questions are am I going to be able to get good reception from WQRF? Do I have any chance at all of receiving FOX from Madison if I go with a VHF/UHF antenna. 3 years ago they were at very low power. Has anything changed there?

LOL! Yes, a 4228 with a 7777 preamp is the way to go on a rotor. You might have trouble with WTVO if you point the antenna right at it, due to signal overload. But, you'll need all the help you can get to use the 4228 as a VHF antenna to pick up FOX Madison, so this is a great choice. You will also, believe it or not, be able to get Quad Cities and Milwaukee from time to time, and yes, even Green Bay and Wausau on exceptional nights, as I do in DeKalb with my 4228/7777.

HVS says WQRF at full power soon...how soon is soon? I thought the tower guys doing the stuff for WCIA CHampaign needed to finish that off first. I will hope WQRF does a picture update for us, so we can see their progress, like they're doing at wcia.com for their sister station there. Have they started on the power upgrade yet (new tranny, tower reinforcement, etc)? That would be fun to watch!

Gilbert
post #639 of 1188 Old 01-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

HVS says WQRF at full power soon...how soon is soon? I thought the tower guys doing the stuff for WCIA CHampaign needed to finish that off first. I will hope WQRF does a picture update for us, so we can see their progress, like they're doing at wcia.com for their sister station there. Have they started on the power upgrade yet (new tranny, tower reinforcement, etc)? That would be fun to watch!

Soon as in "very possibly" by Superbowl Sunday. The tower work is done. The new antenna is hung. Most the transmission line is installed and should be finished in the next 2 days. The Transmitter install is starting tomorrow.
post #640 of 1188 Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ast Chf View Post

Soon as in "very possibly" by Superbowl Sunday. The tower work is done. The new antenna is hung. Most the transmission line is installed and should be finished in the next 2 days. The Transmitter install is starting tomorrow.

Cool! Keep us posted. Glad to see you guys got a crew up there before the work downstate was done. I'll know immediately on my tuner, when it pegs the signal meter...

Gilbert
post #641 of 1188 Old 01-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Nice, assuming the full power is still 1 Mw this should make for my first Rockford digital. I pick up the analog version right now, so I'd expect the digital to make it this far as well.

Now can we please get the same power and a non conflicting frequency for WIFR?
post #642 of 1188 Old 01-19-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've actually been receiving WQRF-DT during a couple of the more recent frigid nights. Highly unusual.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it regularly now.

jm - You don't get WTVO-DT? I'm kind of surprised, since Gilbert and I can get them. They really blast in out my way.
post #643 of 1188 Old 01-20-2007, 02:51 PM

I live in Machesney Park. Can anyone tell me if the pixelation I see on WREX (NBC) and WIFR (CBS) during football games will go away once the stations go full power? It is visible when the camera is zoomed in and they pan at the same time. It looks terrible. This is non-existent on WQRF (FOX).

As a side, while fortunate the Bears are shown on FOX, we are still punished with Joe Buck doing the playoff games......Is there any way we can banish him back to baseball?
post #644 of 1188 Old 01-20-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, I have been looking around this forum and heard
the wonderful HD picture of PBS HD. I am from Rockford
Illinois area and my broadcasting station is WHA for PBS
and WHAHD for PBS HD. We recently got PBS HD as a
channel (Insight Cable) and the picture is not what I am
expecting. First off, even the slightest movement of
the picture pixelate bad. Then when watching any type
of show, the picture looks blurry but not as blurry as
SD material. I am wondering if you got any pictures or
opinions on PBS HD, what channel would you compare it
to. I have a Sony KD-34XBR970 via HDMI to Motorola
HD/DVR cable box.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #645 of 1188 Old 01-20-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

We have noticed pixeling on fast motion and on transition from our local pbs. Both OTA and cable. We haven't contacted them, but it appears they're maxing out their spectrum.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #646 of 1188 Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The quality of HD on PBS is very spotty. Some shows like Nova are HD, and it looks pretty good. Nature looks more like upconverted SD.
post #647 of 1188 Old 01-20-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...32#post9531532
A few posts of the same.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #648 of 1188 Old 01-20-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought I was alone....

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #649 of 1188 Old 01-21-2007, 06:51 AM

I probably could with a different tuner. Presently using a Sony DVR which has an amazing analog tuner, but a not so good digital tuner. I even get WNDU (South Bend) most of the time on the analog side. Digital though it has to be really strong to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

jm - You don't get WTVO-DT? I'm kind of surprised, since Gilbert and I can get them. They really blast in out my way.

post #650 of 1188 Old 01-21-2007, 10:23 AM

[quote=LessisNevermore]I live in Machesney Park. Can anyone tell me if the pixelation I see on WREX (NBC) and WIFR (CBS) during football games will go away once the stations go full power? It is visible when the camera is zoomed in and they pan at the same time. It looks terrible. This is non-existent on WQRF (FOX).

More than likely 23 forgot to open up their multiplexers bandwidth for their primary stream when they dropped their 2nd stream that had the weather radar on it. Power wouldn't effect this at all.

13 on the other hand will likely be cursed with this unless they compress their 2nd stream (CW)down to 3.5 mbps on their encoder. 720p needs at least 14.5mbps to eliminate that problem. Again neither of these are power related but are bandwidth related.
post #651 of 1188 Old 01-21-2007, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Today I was at a friend's house in Belvidere. He just bought a 50" plasma TV from
Samsung. He had an HD box brought to him yesterday (Saturday) from Insight Communications (cable), who set everything up using component cables. My friend will be upgrading to HDMI cable when he buys it online this week, $200
cheaper than the Monster cables Best Buy tried to sell him.

So, I went over there today to watch the Bears, and he and his neighbor just got it hung up on the wall. Looked nice...I don't know what cable box it was, but it had a DVR on it; the cable guy said it held 70-80 hours of programs, so you folks tell me. We popped on channel...oh, what was it, nine hundred something, and...

It was widescreen, I'll say that much. But it "looked" letterboxed; in reality, the picture appeared to be "crushed", and the resolution was anything BUT high def. I tried to hit the hd zoom button on the remote, to no avail. Anyone have a clue as to why that is happening?

Well, during halftime, I took my little portable, set-top, $10 unamplified rabbit ears and UHF loop and laid it on the floor below the TV; this was at street level and his place is just north of I-90. I learned how to search for over-the-air DTV channels and analog channels during half time, and let it scan. Curiously, it got WIFR-DT, WREX-DT and WTVO-DT...but not surprisingly, no WQRF-DT. Sad, because I wanted to compare it with Insight, which occasionally had some pixellation/macroblocking. I am hoping it was the cables that were used for the temporary method to get the picture from the box to the TV.

Then, after a fun Bears' win, we dropped down a channel and hit WIFR-DT from Insight. And again, it was letterboxed (when I say letterboxed, it is true widescreen, all the way to either end...but why it is unnecessarily squished, I don't know). But then, I manually tune to 23-1. Fills the entire screen with the proper aspect ratio, doesn't appear to be 'squished' like it was from Insight; the colors were sharper and the picture was MUCH crisper.

I hope I just needed to learn how to get the aspect set straight, and I hope component cabling was responsible for the relatively low-def looking signal
(crisper than 23 analog via Insight, but still not as good as OTA digital).
But I also have to believe that OTA still is the best-looking HD; as even if sent uncompressed, processing at the plant has to hurt the picture a bit.

And I wonder why my friend's display is squished vertically via Insight? How can he correct that?

P.S. Noted the macroblocking on WIFR, but it wasn't bad OTA; it was considerably worse on Insight, whereas the WQRF-DT feed showed a little macroblocking, and only
on the cable feed.

Gilbert
post #652 of 1188 Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdomini View Post

I probably could with a different tuner. Presently using a Sony DVR which has an amazing analog tuner, but a not so good digital tuner. I even get WNDU (South Bend) most of the time on the analog side. Digital though it has to be really strong to pick it up.

Yeah, even my Accurian is a bit better than the Sony. But I still prefer to use the Sony (for obvious reasons).

I'm almost tempted to try one of those new Samsungs myself, but I'm not sure if it's really any better at distance - just multipath, which isn't really a problem for me. Plus. I'm currently only SD, so that leaves out having the guide (unless you can use component, which my set has, and still set the output of the tuner to 480i and get the guide).
post #653 of 1188 Old 01-22-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Today I was at a friend's house in Belvidere. He just bought a 50" plasma TV from
Samsung. He had an HD box brought to him yesterday (Saturday) from Insight Communications (cable), who set everything up using component cables. My friend will be upgrading to HDMI cable when he buys it online this week, $200
cheaper than the Monster cables Best Buy tried to sell him.

So, I went over there today to watch the Bears, and he and his neighbor just got it hung up on the wall. Looked nice...I don't know what cable box it was, but it had a DVR on it; the cable guy said it held 70-80 hours of programs, so you folks tell me. We popped on channel...oh, what was it, nine hundred something, and...

It was widescreen, I'll say that much. But it "looked" letterboxed; in reality, the picture appeared to be "crushed", and the resolution was anything BUT high def. I tried to hit the hd zoom button on the remote, to no avail. Anyone have a clue as to why that is happening?

Well, during halftime, I took my little portable, set-top, $10 unamplified rabbit ears and UHF loop and laid it on the floor below the TV; this was at street level and his place is just north of I-90. I learned how to search for over-the-air DTV channels and analog channels during half time, and let it scan. Curiously, it got WIFR-DT, WREX-DT and WTVO-DT...but not surprisingly, no WQRF-DT. Sad, because I wanted to compare it with Insight, which occasionally had some pixellation/macroblocking. I am hoping it was the cables that were used for the temporary method to get the picture from the box to the TV.

Then, after a fun Bears' win, we dropped down a channel and hit WIFR-DT from Insight. And again, it was letterboxed (when I say letterboxed, it is true widescreen, all the way to either end...but why it is unnecessarily squished, I don't know). But then, I manually tune to 23-1. Fills the entire screen with the proper aspect ratio, doesn't appear to be 'squished' like it was from Insight; the colors were sharper and the picture was MUCH crisper.

I hope I just needed to learn how to get the aspect set straight, and I hope component cabling was responsible for the relatively low-def looking signal
(crisper than 23 analog via Insight, but still not as good as OTA digital).
But I also have to believe that OTA still is the best-looking HD; as even if sent uncompressed, processing at the plant has to hurt the picture a bit.

And I wonder why my friend's display is squished vertically via Insight? How can he correct that?

P.S. Noted the macroblocking on WIFR, but it wasn't bad OTA; it was considerably worse on Insight, whereas the WQRF-DT feed showed a little macroblocking, and only
on the cable feed.

It sounds like it may have been an aspect issue, but if it wasn't that clear, it may ALSO not be the HD channel - only the digital SD one.

I don't think there's an aspect setting that'll do that to a native 16:9 picture on the display itself (although I could be wrong, and I'm not really familiar at all with Samsung plasmas - mainly just Panny's). But it could've been set that way on the cable box (which I'm also not familiar with). Or, like I said, it could've been the 4:3 SD channel with a cetain aspect programmed.

If it was not crisp and sharp, it very well might not have been the HD version. No matter how the aspect's set, it should still look like HD. You do get BOTH the HD AND the SD versions of the network channels, so first off, make sure it's the HD. Then start checking the aspect modes on the box and the display. For 16:9 on the display, the setting should normally be "full" (or Samsung's equivalent). Then, whatever native setting there is on the cable box should give you the right aspect with 16:9 HD.

To me, it sounds like it was the SD channel with a certain aspect ratio setting causing that look. But maybe someone here more familiar with Samsung's plasmas and/or Insight's cable and their boxes can help you figure it out for sure.
post #654 of 1188 Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessisNevermore View Post

As a side, while fortunate the Bears are shown on FOX, we are still punished with Joe Buck doing the playoff games......Is there any way we can banish him back to baseball?

During the game, he was making it pretty obvious that he was rooting for N.O.

In the middle part, where N.O. came to life, he was gushing and yelling all over the place.

As soon as the momentum swung back in the Bears' favor, he got all subdued and low-key again.

Really was p***in' me off - and not just because of what was happening - although that didn't help. I thought those guys were supposed to remain neutral, at least while they're broadcasting.
post #655 of 1188 Old 01-22-2007, 05:12 PM

You read my mind Ramm. I really want to try out one of the Samsungs. I read a technical analysis someone sent me (unforunately I lost it or I'd share) and it sounded like it was great for both distance and multipath.

Unfortunately they are extremely hard to find. I missed my chance to get one before Christmas. I think they lasted in stock for a day and they were gone.

Quote:

I'm almost tempted to try one of those new Samsungs myself, but I'm not sure if it's really any better at distance - just multipath, which isn't really a problem for me.

post #656 of 1188 Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I saw them ay my local BB before most people here were even buying them, and I was thinking about grabbing one but I didn't. They actually lasted a week or two, but once they were gone, they were gone.

It seems on the Samsung thread they're getting it from J & R and CC, and a couple of other places online. It sounds like they're getting quite a few defective ones, too, and I guess they're pretty flimsily built.
post #657 of 1188 Old 01-23-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like it may have been an aspect issue, but if it wasn't that clear, it may ALSO not be the HD channel - only the digital SD one.

I don't think there's an aspect setting that'll do that to a native 16:9 picture on the display itself (although I could be wrong, and I'm not really familiar at all with Samsung plasmas - mainly just Panny's). But it could've been set that way on the cable box (which I'm also not familiar with). Or, like I said, it could've been the 4:3 SD channel with a cetain aspect programmed.

If it was not crisp and sharp, it very well might not have been the HD version. No matter how the aspect's set, it should still look like HD. You do get BOTH the HD AND the SD versions of the network channels, so first off, make sure it's the HD. Then start checking the aspect modes on the box and the display. For 16:9 on the display, the setting should normally be "full" (or Samsung's equivalent). Then, whatever native setting there is on the cable box should give you the right aspect with 16:9 HD.

To me, it sounds like it was the SD channel with a certain aspect ratio setting causing that look. But maybe someone here more familiar with Samsung's plasmas and/or Insight's cable and their boxes can help you figure it out for sure.

As it turns out, the cable installer set up the box wrong. It was set to output to 480p instead of 720p. We had to go to a "secret" menu to figure that out. An acquaintance in Crystal Lake had the same thing happen to him with Comcast and he figured it out.

With that type of customer service, no wonder why "HD Lite" is tolerable with satellite and why people hate the digital TV revolution...

Gilbert
post #658 of 1188 Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Do you know how to get to the secret menu? If so please share as I used to know how but have forgotten.
post #659 of 1188 Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Whitford View Post

Do you know how to get to the secret menu? If so please share as I used to know how but have forgotten.

Hi Jeff,

First, turn on the TV and the cable box. Then turn off just the cable
box, leaving the TV on. Press the menu button on the front of the cable
box. You should see the secret set-up menu showing basic HD output
settings. Be sure set the box to 16:9 widescreen for TV format, and 720p or 1080i to match your TV's resolution.

Gilbert
post #660 of 1188 Old 01-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Sounds familliar Gilbert. When I got my HD box from Comcast they insisted on sending someone out to install it. The guy hooked it up via the SD composite outputs. I had to hook up a component cable after he left and set the box to 1080i. They were utterly clueless about the product they were installing!

Quote:

As it turns out, the cable installer set up the box wrong. It was set to output to 480p instead of 720p. We had to go to a "secret" menu to figure that out. An acquaintance in Crystal Lake had the same thing happen to him with Comcast and he figured it out.

With that type of customer service, no wonder why "HD Lite" is tolerable with satellite and why people hate the digital TV revolution...

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page