post #991 of 1189 Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

Those antennas look like they're still in great shape. I've seen maybe 3 of those in my area. I wouldn't mind having either one of those antennas. You say that they're Winegard. I have a Winegard and it's a good brand. The antenna I have is in their current lineup, which is the HD-1080, that I use for NW Indiana station WYIN. My other antenna is a crappy Philips brand antenna, & it's terrible for UHF, but ok for VHF. Here's a picture of my antenna setup. Just to let you know that I was temporarily using the Winegard antenna for Chicago stations at the time of this pic. That antenna is currently pointed south with a slight tilt to the west. The Philips antenna (big one) is pointed 333° & the Winegard antenna is pointed 188°.

Dave, that Phillips looks like it could swallow my whole house. Interesting how post-DTV combo antennas seem to focus more on UHF, and you can see on your old timer that UHF was mostly an afterthought.
That thing must've rocked on WBBM-DT when they were on 3.

My RabbitEars reception page-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1189 Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithOTA View Post

Dave, that Phillips looks like it could swallow my whole house. Interesting how post-DTV combo antennas seem to focus more on UHF, and you can see on your old timer that UHF was mostly an afterthought.
That thing must've rocked on WBBM-DT when they were on 3.

I had no problems getting WBBM-DT on 3. When I hooked up my converter box for the first time, that was the first channel it picked up. For digital UHF, that antenna isn't as good for UHF. It does great for digital VHF, as I got WBBM-DT & on both 3 & 12, as well as WLS-TV on 7. The only reason I now get WOCK-CD with this antenna is because I have a pre-amp hooked to the antenna. If my original Radio Shack VU-190 antenna hadn't crashed down, I'd probably would still have that instead of the Philips antenna. I like how you said that my antenna would swallow your house. I know it looks weird. I still want to replace that antenna, as the UHF portion of the antenna is showing signs that it's bending downward. So I know it won't last much longer. You're right that antennas now focus more on the UHF, as there aren't as many stations on the VHF. Most combo antennas are now Hi-VHF/UHF.
post #993 of 1189 Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

If you put a Channelmaster 7777 preamp on that thing, you would smoke ME out of the water with my attic-bound Channelmaster 4228, great cables, CM 7777 preamp, and 1-story attic (assuming you put it on a rotor!). The large Winegard isn't a DX'ers dream, but it's not far from it!

I'm really glad that I found this house while i was looking for places before my dad and I moved out here (originally from Elgin, ugh). That antenna has been a Godsend. A friend (who says it's a Winegard, so I'm taking his word cos he knows all that stuff) bought us the Acess HD 1080 converter box and helped get the antenna cable into the house. The drop cable had TWO splitters after it before the indoor cable disappeared into the house somewhere. I can't believe how the previous owner could get ANY signal! Thankfully, we bypassed all that, drilled a hole into the living room window, connected the drop cable to an new cable, fed it thru the box, and BINGO! I'm really pleased with the results, even with a 12 year old 27" Panasonic TV.

Also glad to kick-start the RFD thread back into where it should be!

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #994 of 1189 Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 AM

I did a rescan last night just for the heck of it. Telemundo added a channel (no idea why, looked like infomercials to me) and got the religious channels on 35. Anticipating the soon return of Madison's Fox 47. The battle between Me-TV and WIFR continues, as well.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #995 of 1189 Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 AM

Figured out what to do about wanting FM and TV at the same time without a splitter. I fed the drop line into my reciever which has cable in and out (This was back in the day when you could get FM from your cable company for free). Fed the output into the converter box and I still have all my channels. Some lost a bit of signal, some actually GAINED signal (WBBM & WFLD!!!). So I have found the happy medium in which I can go back to listening to FM radio and watch TV at the same time.

I still want to get a booster, but just for the TV. So chances are I might not get the CM7777, since I don't need a second output now. Any reccomendations?

post #996 of 1189 Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

Figured out what to do about wanting FM and TV at the same time without a splitter. I fed the drop line into my reciever which has cable in and out (This was back in the day when you could get FM from your cable company for free). Fed the output into the converter box and I still have all my channels. Some lost a bit of signal, some actually GAINED signal (WBBM & WFLD!!!). So I have found the happy medium in which I can go back to listening to FM radio and watch TV at the same time.

I still want to get a booster, but just for the TV. So chances are I might not get the CM7777, since I don't need a second output now. Any reccomendations?

Yep.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/7778.htm

Gilbert
post #997 of 1189 Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Yep.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/7778.htm

Hmm, is there a booster I can get without having to get up on the roof to install? There's a beehive near the antenna and I'm afraid of heights. I know, I know, don't look down, but that doesn't help the bee situation. I really should get my landlord to take care of that before it gets too cold.

I still have the old Archer booster my dad's friend gave us. (Gilbert, you might know him. He works at NIU.) I didn't even think of seeing if that would work. I'll post back tomorrow about that.

post #998 of 1189 Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm, is there a booster I can get without having to get up on the roof to install? There's a beehive near the antenna and I'm afraid of heights. I know, I know, don't look down, but that doesn't help the bee situation. I really should get my landlord to take care of that before it gets too cold.

I still have the old Archer booster my dad's friend gave us. (Gilbert, you might know him. He works at NIU.) I didn't even think of seeing if that would work. I'll post back tomorrow about that.

If the cable heads into the house up at the attic, you can put the head-end of the preamp in there (no roof-climbing, and the preamp stays dry as a bonus).
But if the cable comes down the mast, along the eave, around the corner, along the wall, etc., it won't help. Ideally, you want that preamp head as close to the antenna as possible (before the signal degrades any further).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #999 of 1189 Old 10-05-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the cable heads into the house up at the attic, you can put the head-end of the preamp in there (no roof-climbing, and the preamp stays dry as a bonus).
But if the cable comes down the mast, along the eave, around the corner, along the wall, etc., it won't help. Ideally, you want that preamp head as close to the antenna as possible (before the signal degrades any further).

What he said. Exactly. That's the only way to go in a situation like this...as close to the antenna as possible.

Gilbert
post #1000 of 1189 Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Good to know. That's pretty much how we have it, LOL!

I did try the splitter going after the reciever going into the converter box, but it didn't help (as usual). I'm gonna keep it how I have it now (sans splitter). It's been working pretty well in this configuration and much better than going thru the splitter. Some channels take a little longer to load but Im ok with that as long as it comes in well.

post #1001 of 1189 Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good to know. That's pretty much how we have it, LOL!

I did try the splitter going after the reciever going into the converter box, but it didn't help (as usual). I'm gonna keep it how I have it now (sans splitter). It's been working pretty well in this configuration and much better than going thru the splitter. Some channels take a little longer to load but Im ok with that as long as it comes in well.

How many Madisons can you get at night?

post #1002 of 1189 Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:

How many Madisons can you get at night?

I used to get 27, 47 and 57. Now it's just 27, which isn't that bad. Hey, it's free, I can't complain!

post #1003 of 1189 Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I used to get 27, 47 and 57. Now it's just 27, which isn't that bad. Hey, it's free, I can't complain!

I get 27 on a 24/7 basis- it actually has a higher noise margin than any of the Milwaukees. 57 and 21 come at night, and lately 47 has also (they are currently using a temporary antenna).
After 47 moves to RF49, I hope I will be able to get it during the day like 27.

I was wondering if 3 or 15 was ever available to you. I can only get them is there is strong tropo to overcome WGN & WXFT.

post #1004 of 1189 Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:

I get 27 on a 24/7 basis- it actually has a higher noise margin than any of the Milwaukees. 57 and 21 come at night, and lately 47 has also (they are currently using a temporary antenna).
After 47 moves to RF49, I hope I will be able to get it during the day like 27.

I was wondering if 3 or 15 was ever available to you. I can only get them is there is strong tropo to overcome WGN & WXFT.

Nope. I did get WGN for about 5 seconds though. My downstairs neighbor doesnt get it either, with their little Radio Shack antenna hooked onto their mailbox. I'm surprised I get anything from Chicago cos I got tall trees all the way to the eastern city limits.

post #1005 of 1189 Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren View Post

I get 70% locked on 17 and 23 Rockford indoors, LOL Better percentage than when I tried outside.

i live over by Ruger ave and Wright Rd in Janesville i get in 17 and 23 regually and 13 with my outdoor one by 39 is a pain i know its the most powerful but for whatever reason it comes in the worst this way!!!!
post #1006 of 1189 Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Here ya go! The main antenna is pointed towards Chicago, and the little one pointed at Rockford (which also gets Madison at night).

I have never seen a Winegard look like those. The look like Jerrold antennas insted.
post #1007 of 1189 Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim920 View Post

I live south of Edgerton/Indianford in a small wooded valley near the river and cannot get 39 with my indoor antenna either. I was disapointed that it doesnt come it since it's 900kw (the most powerful in Rockford) but its short stick must be the problem.

That would be it. At 600', and when they were 2,300 watts I got it 35 miles away, antenna pointed 120 degrees off-axis, but I was up high enough to get it.

Gilbert
post #1008 of 1189 Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerial1 View Post

I have never seen a Winegard look like those. The look like Jerrold antennas insted.

Could be, could be. All I know is that it works, LOL! There's quite a few of these same models around the neighborhood too. I'm too afraid of heights to get on the roof and actually find out what kind of antenna it is.

post #1009 of 1189 Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 AM

I have charter for cable and subscribe to the expanded basic. I have one tv with a QAM tuner that I could get the locals in HD threw the cable. I noticed the other day that now all those channels have no signal. I thought that if you had a QAM tuner and cable that the locals of HD would be free or unscrambled?
post #1010 of 1189 Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try re-scanning - they might have moved them around.
post #1011 of 1189 Old 12-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Try re-scanning - they might have moved them around.

That worked........... Thanks so much!!
post #1012 of 1189 Old 12-23-2010, 11:43 AM

WREX started broadcasting the local news in HD, if anyone's interested. Just need to get WQRF/WTVO to get onboard.

Interesting tropo this AM, got Madison til about noon today! Just waiting for the snow to come screw it up tomorrow!

post #1013 of 1189 Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Greetings all. Anyone know if Comcast in Rockford, IL area requires a Tuning Adapter (TA) for their cableCARD subscribers yet? (ie, they've switched to SDV - switched digital video)

Thanks in advance!
post #1014 of 1189 Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osburnfamily View Post

Greetings all. Anyone know if Comcast in Rockford, IL area requires a Tuning Adapter (TA) for their cableCARD subscribers yet? (ie, they've switched to SDV - switched digital video)

Thanks in advance!

You should go to the Chicago Comcast thread. theyre talking about this over there.

post #1015 of 1189 Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM

WIFR screwed up big time last night. They cut to local commercials DURING The Late Late Show. (<---They did it 3x) If that wasn't bad enough, there wasn't ANY sound during Dr Oz, except for the commercials. Do they even realize that people actually watch these shows???

post #1016 of 1189 Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej
WIFR screwed up big time last night. They cut to local commercials DURING The Late Late Show. (<---They did it 3x) If that wasn't bad enough, there wasn't ANY sound during Dr Oz, except for the commercials. Do they even realize that people actually watch these shows???
So they just went to commercials during the show? Not during a break?

post #1017 of 1189 Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
So they just went to commercials during the show? Not during a break?
Yeah, local commercials DURING the show. The network breaks were normal, and showed those dumb "CBS Cares" commercials where WIFR usually puts their local ads. I couldn't believe it. To top it off, Larry King and Dr Sanjay Gupta were guests that night. Local ads cut in for about 3 minutes, cut back to Larry King saying "These past 3 minutes have been the most serious 3 minutes in 6 years (of Craig hosting the show.)"

post #1018 of 1189 Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Well, it is a tiny market, easily the smallest in the midwest. 4 stations with 7 channels to cover 5 counties. Stuff happens?

post #1019 of 1189 Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 PM

I live in Loves Park and have fairly good rooftop antennas that produce consistent reception of the 7 locals.

If I were to swing these antennas (7-13 channel Yagi and 4 bow-tie with screen for UHF) and point them at Madison what might I get out of Madison besides the 4 networks I already receive?

People talk about getting additional channels but do they produce additional program material over what Rockford offers?

Thanks for your help.

Dick
post #1020 of 1189 Old 05-17-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Dick,

Yes, they do. Madison has Retro TV Network, although it will be going to "MeTV" soon, if it hasn't already. They also have ThisTv (movies), Wisconsin PBS (WHA-DT) that gives you 3 PBS channels, including sports from the U-W Badgers. They also have The Cool TV (music videos), and Country Network (country videos).

So yes, they do have more stuff.

Gilbert
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page