Forum Jump: 
post #1201 of 1206 Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA28 View Post
1st time I open the attic since we bought the house 7 years ago.not easy to get to .plus we have no use for it.

I wire on the left for dish network I think. the previous owner lift .we use Comcast now .
Ok cool looks like you have good access up there. I use a RCA antenna I bought at Menards, I think it was model ANT3636 or something like that. Unless you want to order online, Menards has a pretty good selection of antenna supplies. You could hang a 2x4 from the joists up there (ant. would hang from ceiling) and mount on that or put it on a tripod from Menards. ($25) I would go with the tripod, easier to rotate for adjustment. If you go with a RCA antenna from there, get the biggest one that will fit up there - Remember if you want to get Chicago stations you need to point the skinny end of the antenna east - so measure accordingly. If you want Rockford (may be easier to receive), you need to point northwest - again measure accordingly. Measuring up there will let you know how big of an antenna you can get up there, mine is huge when unfolded!
As for the Rats nest of wires you have up there, bypass all of it and run a single cable out of your attic to your TV (temporary) Then you can point your antenna for the best signal, lock in place and then "hardwire" it using those cables up there. Remember, the more you cable length you run and the more you split it, the signal degrades.
If you want to order online, I was looking at his antenna : http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_s...enna-html.html
That antenna was the one my friend is using in Tilton Park (off of North 1st street) I KNOW it works good.
The RCA antennas at Menards are cheaper, mine was $70 they have a smaller that was $50
You might want to consider a amplifier. I am using a cheap RCA single output 12db amplifier, it really helped the signal. You can get that at Menards too. I think Wal-mart has it also.
Good Luck and post back with your results!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1206 Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd123 View Post
Ok cool looks like you have good access up there. I use a RCA antenna I bought at Menards, I think it was model ANT3636 or something like that. Unless you want to order online, Menards has a pretty good selection of antenna supplies. You could hang a 2x4 from the joists up there (ant. would hang from ceiling) and mount on that or put it on a tripod from Menards. ($25) I would go with the tripod, easier to rotate for adjustment. If you go with a RCA antenna from there, get the biggest one that will fit up there - Remember if you want to get Chicago stations you need to point the skinny end of the antenna east - so measure accordingly. If you want Rockford (may be easier to receive), you need to point northwest - again measure accordingly. Measuring up there will let you know how big of an antenna you can get up there, mine is huge when unfolded!
As for the Rats nest of wires you have up there, bypass all of it and run a single cable out of your attic to your TV (temporary) Then you can point your antenna for the best signal, lock in place and then "hardwire" it using those cables up there. Remember, the more you cable length you run and the more you split it, the signal degrades.
If you want to order online, I was looking at his antenna : http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_s...enna-html.html
That antenna was the one my friend is using in Tilton Park (off of North 1st street) I KNOW it works good.
The RCA antennas at Menards are cheaper, mine was $70 they have a smaller that was $50
You might want to consider a amplifier. I am using a cheap RCA single output 12db amplifier, it really helped the signal. You can get that at Menards too. I think Wal-mart has it also.
Good Luck and post back with your results!
Mike
Thanks for the help. if the attic option doesn't work the 2ed option is going to cost me a lot with labor($200 and up just for labor?) .here goes my savings for the cz 75 .lol
post #1203 of 1206 Unread Yesterday, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey MJA28,

I'm on the north side of DeKalb. I can't put an antenna outside due to restrictions in our subdivision. In the attic of a one-story, I have a ChannelMaster 4228 and a large, VHF-only, channel 2-13 antenna to pick up WBBM. I get everything clear, except WBBM comes in a little choppy at times. All the Rockford stations except WREX come in off the side of the antenna with no problem. I am using the ChannelMaster 7777 preamplifier. And although I need to slightly adjust my VHF antenna, everything but WBBM comes in glitch-free.

A ChannelMaster 4228HD should do the trick for all except WBBM, and with a ChannelMaster 7777, as long as you have a good east view with no major buildings blocking you, I say you have a good shot at getting everything you want.

Gilbert
post #1204 of 1206 Unread Today, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post
Hey MJA28,

I'm on the north side of DeKalb. I can't put an antenna outside due to restrictions in our subdivision. In the attic of a one-story, I have a ChannelMaster 4228 and a large, VHF-only, channel 2-13 antenna to pick up WBBM. I get everything clear, except WBBM comes in a little choppy at times. All the Rockford stations except WREX come in off the side of the antenna with no problem. I am using the ChannelMaster 7777 preamplifier. And although I need to slightly adjust my VHF antenna, everything but WBBM comes in glitch-free.

A ChannelMaster 4228HD should do the trick for all except WBBM, and with a ChannelMaster 7777, as long as you have a good east view with no major buildings blocking you, I say you have a good shot at getting everything you want.
WooW.I talked to you years ago.lol

U live in the River mist subdivision?
post #1205 of 1206 Unread Today, 03:23 PM

By the way. My attic is facing First st
post #1206 of 1206 Unread Today, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yep, I am near there! If you can get the antenna in the attic and point it east, you've got a good shot at getting at least most of the stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page