post #181 of 1189 Old 09-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemascope View Post

Rockford area residents are used to being the largest city that still doesn't have ... (fill in the blank).
The fact that we do not have anything close to an expressway system upsets me to no end.

Rick you couldnt be more right. Good to hear from you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1189 Old 09-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

All,

Authoritative information from their engineers:

WTVO-DT had a tube blow out last night (9/8/05). They are off the air until at
least Saturday, or perhaps Monday, when the new tube comes in.

It figures, I just emailed the guy at WTVO about this problem. I should have known I would find my answer here on AVS. I am so used to trolling the Display threads that I forgot all about the HDTV Reception

I'm in Rockton and get
3.1 WISC
13 CBS
17 ABC (used to)
23 NBC
57 WB

All using a $20 RCA ANT1250 from Target.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 1189 Old 09-11-2005, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykretentiv View Post

It figures, I just emailed the guy at WTVO about this problem. I should have known I would find my answer here on AVS. I am so used to trolling the Display threads that I forgot all about the HDTV Reception

I'm in Rockton and get
3.1 WISC
13 CBS
17 ABC (used to)
23 NBC
57 WB

All using a $20 RCA ANT1250 from Target.

Not bad! Are you going to upgrade to get all of Madison and Rockford?

P.S. 13 is NBC and 23 is CBS. :-)

P.P.S. I'm surprised you don't get WKOW-DT (ABC). They are at full power and
get out quite far. I can get them in DeKalb often. Ditto WHA-DT (PBS).

P.P.P.S. It should be interesting to see who gets WQRF-Dt at a scant 2.3 kw
when they sign on. The FCC web site says the main service contour will
go through DeKalb, to south of Rochelle, to just east of Dixon, to west of Freeport.
We shall see...it will likely still look better on my TV than analog because of
a building next to me causing some faint ghosting.

Gilbert
post #184 of 1189 Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

DOH!! OOOPS yeah you're right

I was getting WKOW for a while. I'm also getting 3.2 - UPN really strong. UPgrade is in the future I have been pretty happy with the reception I am getting to justify the cost.

Do you guys think I would get a much better signal if I run an antenna in the attic.

SO is it true that FOX will be up and running in Nov? I guess I could search for that answer.

post #185 of 1189 Old 09-12-2005, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

In Rockton, you should consider running two antennas in your attic.

A smaller on facing S/SE for Rockford, and the other facing North for Madison.

Combining these is simple, but notching out the weaker antennas feed on the signals that appear on both is a trickier issue.

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #186 of 1189 Old 09-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

I get both Rockford & Madison with my antenna pointed NW only. But mine is outside and has a preamp.
post #187 of 1189 Old 09-13-2005, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

I'll give the attic a try I have the cable and the antennas. I just rescanned and now I get UPN 16 and 17 WTVO. I would really klike to get PBS. I hear they have quite a bit of content.

THanks Guys.

post #188 of 1189 Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykretentiv View Post

I'll give the attic a try I have the cable and the antennas. I just rescanned and now I get UPN 16 and 17 WTVO. I would really klike to get PBS. I hear they have quite a bit of content.

THanks Guys.

Yes, they do. FOX should be up in SD mode around September 23rd (see my post above).

I'd try the attic; better still, on the roof if you can.

Gilbert
post #189 of 1189 Old 09-13-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:

the best I can tell you is email or call the station and let them know you want FOX in HD. If the current owners are convinced there's
enough high-end viewers, they'll add it, rather than waiting for a mandatory cut-off date. It won't come as fast as we want, but it may come faster than planned.

Is that info (email addresses) publicly postable? If not, can you PM them to me?

It was funny last year when I bought all the HD equipment, and then called FOX to see what the status was on their digital transmitter.... The receiptionist (OK, to be fair, I shouldn't expect much from a receptionist on technical things) didn't even know what HD or DTV was or why I'd want to know about when they'd have it. I tried to explain it in basic terms and tell her how much better the quality is for the viewer, but it was lost on her. Still, I tried, and I was polite.

I'll even be happy (well, happier than I am now) to have the SD upconverted signal coming out on DTV transmissions... My analog OTA receptions is OK, but it always looks fuzzy and washed out, and what I get from Insight over the basic cable is even worse.

This weekend I'm putting up the CM4228 (I think that's the number) with a small preamp, and I'm hopeful that I'll get some of the Madison stations. I'm in the bowl of Loves Park, around 725' GEL, so it may or may not be as easy as some who are a bit higher without surrounding terrain issues.
post #190 of 1189 Old 09-13-2005, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9yty View Post

Is that info (email addresses) publicly postable? If not, can you PM them to me?

It was funny last year when I bought all the HD equipment, and then called FOX to see what the status was on their digital transmitter.... The receiptionist (OK, to be fair, I shouldn't expect much from a receptionist on technical things) didn't even know what HD or DTV was or why I'd want to know about when they'd have it. I tried to explain it in basic terms and tell her how much better the quality is for the viewer, but it was lost on her. Still, I tried, and I was polite.

I'll even be happy (well, happier than I am now) to have the SD upconverted signal coming out on DTV transmissions... My analog OTA receptions is OK, but it always looks fuzzy and washed out, and what I get from Insight over the basic cable is even worse.

This weekend I'm putting up the CM4228 (I think that's the number) with a small preamp, and I'm hopeful that I'll get some of the Madison stations. I'm in the bowl of Loves Park, around 725' GEL, so it may or may not be as easy as some who are a bit higher without surrounding terrain issues.

The engineer's email is publicly available on this page under "TV reception questions" on the right side of the page:

http://www.wtvo.com/about.asp

They own WQRF, of course, and their questions are also handled through there.

You should get the Madison stations with that setup. In the "DeKalb bowl"
I can get Madison frequently. You are above line-of-sight at 61 miles, even in the
"bowl", and a preamp will take care of that.

Let us know what you get!

Gilbert
post #191 of 1189 Old 09-15-2005, 06:33 PM

I was flipping around during the presidents speil and spyed 39-1 was broadcasting. Signal meter showed about 50% and in SD upconverted 4:3. I'm in Delavan about 35 miles northeast of Rockford.

There are 10 types of people who understand binary - those that do... and those that don't.
post #192 of 1189 Old 09-15-2005, 08:00 PM

Beauty! Got 'em here in Loves Park too. My Samsung SIR-TS360 shows 45% signal, but it shows that for EVERYTHING it seems... Bouncing between 45%, 0%, 10%, 30%, 60%, pointless, really. ;-) No pixellation, dropouts, etc, and the picture is, of course, MUCH better than the analog OTA, which is better than my analog cable feed via Insight.

Now, if I could just figure out why my Samsung box won't see 16-1. I get 17-1 with excellent quality, and as far as I can tell from talking with the engineer over there, it's the same transmitter, 16-1 should be just another virtual channel in that data stream, but my box won't pull it out. I have an engineer friend in Milwaukee who is coming down this weekend with some other receivers and an analyzer to see what's in the PSIP info, although I doubt I'd have much influence to get anything changed.

Everyone else here getting both 17-1 and 16-1, and what receivers are you running?

Right now I get 13-1, 13-2, 17-1, 23-1 and 39-1. Hopefully when the CM4228 goes up Sunday afternoon I'll get a few Madison stations as well, I'll post back results.

Steve
post #193 of 1189 Old 09-15-2005, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Everyone else here getting both 17-1 and 16-1, and what receivers are you running?

I'm receiving all the Rockford channels when I'm rotored over in that direction. 17-1 is a little different than other channels doing multi-carry cuz when I punch in 16-1(rf) I get the UPN station on 16-1 and then channel up and get 17-1 with ABC. Normally it would work punching in 16-1(rf) brings up 17-1(virtual) with ABC and channel up to get 17-2(virtual) with UPN.
I'm using a Zenith HD-420 receiver and also have an LG 3410 and both work the same with the 16-1 stuff....
Also the signal strength is really steady with my CM 4228 at about 40 feet

There are 10 types of people who understand binary - those that do... and those that don't.
post #194 of 1189 Old 09-15-2005, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Doggone, you guys are good! I flipped through and at 7 PM, they weren't
on, so it happened as the President was speaking tonight from New Orleans.
No sound or video now at midnight, and PSIP is going crazy, so they are
obviously tweaking stuff. But before they did, PSIP was 39.1 with no
subchannels, and I caught a picture of it before they yanked the video.
From DeKalb, 41% signal locks on my tuner, and they are at 41% when my
ChannelMaster 4228 antenna in my attic is pointed towards Chicago,
and 55% when pointed towards Rockford. With mild tropo to the west tonight, these numbers are artificially high by a bit, so I suspect I'll have to point the antenna towards Rockford to see it.

Next step: HD and 1 million watts next year!

Hey Steve! The DirecTV HD box won't show 16.1 either. I wonder if the virtual channels each have two .1 endings, the tuner gets confused.

Gilbert
post #195 of 1189 Old 09-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

I have been getting that one for a while. Now after my tweaking with my little indoor antenna I get from Rockton all at 70%+. I must be in a good spot.
3-1 WISC
3-2 UPN
13-1 NBC
13-2 NBC
16 UPN
17 ABC
23 CBS
39 - UPN
57-1 - note: really nice picture off of this one.
57-2

Some are just duplicates of the same network in different cities.

post #196 of 1189 Old 09-16-2005, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Got word that WQRF-DT needs to do more work on guide data, PSIP, aspect ratio, etc, so bear with them through 9/23 until they get all of it taken care of; at times, the signal will be out. Right now, they know PSIP is showing as 42.3. They will be working through the weekend to get it straightened out. They will not be in stretchy-vision; they will stay 4:3, unlike the stations in town.

Update: by the end of the night on 9/16, they hope to have everything functional except guide data; they are still working on that.

Gilbert
post #197 of 1189 Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 PM

OK, got the CM4228 on the roof on a small tripod mount with a 10' mast.

Direct in with no amplification at all with the antenna pointed directly at the madison stations (no compass heading, we used a signal meter on the roof to maximize signal), and putting it direct into the Samsung SIR-TS360 receiver:

3-1
3-2
13-1
13-2
15-1
17-1
21-1
21-2
23-1
27-1
39-1 (on 42-1 right now)
57-1
57-2

What's curious is that 13-1/13-2 is so spotty. Makes me wonder if they are on reduced power or something. I pointed the antenna right at the station and it comes in fine, but I wouldn't think I'd have to do that. I put a 38db amp on the line and still couldn't pull it in properly.

Also, no 47-1 here. They're on RF 11 if my lookup info is right, so that's possibly why, as the CM4228 is really just a UHF antenna. (UPDATE: Later in the evening 47-1 came in, unlikely I'll get it during the daytime, but who knows)

So, doing a scan gets me 9 digital stations. Putting the amp on only returns 8, haven't checked what's going on there, so I'm running it with no amp, direct from the antenna, and everything (except 13) seems stable.

Also, my Samsung DirecTV box *STILL* won't get UPN-16. It mus really hate something in the PSIP data. An engineer friend from Milwaukee brought down a sencore receiver which pulled it right in. We tried looking at the various PSIP info bits, but couldn't put a finger on anything that looked definitely "wrong", but for whatever reason, my box won't let me see that channel. The Sencore pulled it in right away as a secondary program on the RF16 transmitter. Back a while ago they had a "glitch" over there and put UPN on 17-2, and it came in fine here with WTVO on 17-1. When they "fixed" it by putting it back on 16-1 I never saw it again, and hadn't seen it before that point either.

Steve
post #198 of 1189 Old 09-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I attached another antenna to my little RCA 1250 (it was in the basement in a box) Now I can point my antennas in two directions. I am picking up Ch - 19. But very weak What is Ch 19?

3-1 WISC
3-2 UPN
13-1 NBC
13-2 NBC
16 UPN
17 ABC
19 ???
23 CBS
42 - FOX
57-1 - note: really nice picture off of this one.
57-2

post #199 of 1189 Old 09-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

19.1 NBC ch 15 from Madison
post #200 of 1189 Old 09-25-2005, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, got the CM4228 on the roof on a small tripod mount with a 10' mast.

What's curious is that 13-1/13-2 is so spotty. Makes me wonder if they are on reduced power or something.

Also, my Samsung DirecTV box *STILL* won't get UPN-16. It mus really hate something in the PSIP data. An engineer friend from Milwaukee brought down a sencore receiver which pulled it right in.
Steve

WREX-DT is at relatively low power, 55 kilowatts, with a whopping 1 megawatt
coming by next summer. The station should be an absolute freaking blowtorch
at that point, and when it moves back to 13 after analog shutdown. As it is,
I have no trouble pulling it in here in DeKalb, with my ChannelMaster 4228
turned east to pick up Chicago stations. Speaking of blowtorches...if the FCC
allows WTVO after analog shutdown to go to 1 mw, it will be a monster. 1 mw
at channel 16 goes farther than 1 mw at channel 54, where WREX-DT is now.
As it stands, WTVO-DT can frequently be picked up in the southern suburbs
of Chicago, and on my antenna...even when pointed east...it pegs my signal
meter.

Also, I have heard reports that particular box, and DirecTV HD boxes also
can't pull in 16.1...I've seen the latter first hand. I personally think that is
a receiver problem. But I've notified the engineer tonight about both issues
again. In either case...WTVO-DT is currently the strongest Rockford DTV
signal as of right now, and by a mile. It rivals WREX-TV analog's monster
signal.

Gilbert
post #201 of 1189 Old 09-30-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

WTVO is now showing UPN 16 as 17.2. Audio levels are low and they
are aware of it. Unfortunately, they just can't turn a dial to increase
the volume.

WQRF-DT is now showing 39.1 once again.

Gilbert
post #202 of 1189 Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:

WTVO is now showing UPN 16 as 17.2. Audio levels are low and they
are aware of it. Unfortunately, they just can't turn a dial to increase
the volume.

WQRF-DT is now showing 39.1 once again.

Kudos on both points. I can finally see UPN locally again! :-) I hope they don't FIX it, at least that they fix nothing more than the audio levels.
post #203 of 1189 Old 10-04-2005, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

A little birdie just told me to tune into WREX-DT 13.2 at 9 PM on 10/4/05 (Tuesday).
He couldn't say anything more before he was shot down by hunters. ;-)

Gilbert
post #204 of 1189 Old 10-05-2005, 08:24 AM

You posted that at 1:23 AM on 10/5 (Wednesday). Do you mean 10/5?
post #205 of 1189 Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mred53 View Post

You posted that at 1:23 AM on 10/5 (Wednesday). Do you mean 10/5?

No, I posted that at 8:23 PM. Your settings are showing Greenwich Mean Time, not central time; you need to adjust that.

As it turns out, 13.2 will show WB 14's newscasts at 9 PM. They had an audio problem last night which hopefully will be fixed tonight.

Gilbert
post #206 of 1189 Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:

No, I posted that at 8:23 PM. Your settings are showing Greenwich Mean Time, not central time; you need to adjust that.

As it turns out, 13.2 will show WB 14's newscasts at 9 PM. They had an audio problem last night which hopefully will be fixed tonight.

Oops. My mistake.

I've had problems getting in 13-1 recently (I live 15 minutes south of Madison) so I need to do some antenna tweaking before I can watch it anyway.
post #207 of 1189 Old 10-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Does anyone know if the 39.1 signal is going to get any stronger? I'm in Rockton and I get all the other local's fine (13.1,13.2,17.1.17.2,23.1).

I have moved my antenna as much as possible, and the best I can get the 39.1 signal is 61%.
And I think all I need is probably 65%. All of my other signals are at about 80%.

Does anyone know where fox is broadcasting from? Aren't they near all the other Rockford stations? Is it because Fox isn't sending out a strong enough signal?
post #208 of 1189 Old 10-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

You may want to point it farther north and try for Madison Fox 47.1 (11) if you dont get anything on 39.1. 47.1 is HD where 39.1 is only digital at this point. At my house in Rockford I point my antenna W- NW and get both Fox stations.
post #209 of 1189 Old 10-09-2005, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeley127 View Post

Does anyone know where fox is broadcasting from? Aren't they near all the other Rockford stations? Is it because Fox isn't sending out a strong enough signal?

I'll answer the last three questions:

1. From a tower on the west side of Rockford, just east of channel 23.
2. Yes they are.
3. Yes. They are only at 2,300 watts. WTVO pumps out 196,000; WREX, 55,000
and WIFR nearly the same as WREX.

Fox is scheduled to go 1 million watts on or just before July 1, 2006, and HD as well.

As for me, I am getting them in DeKalb with a ChannelMaster 4228 8-bay UHF
antenna in my 1-story attic, and a ChannelMaster 7777 preamplifier to help overcome the weak signals. Locks fine here. What antenna are you using, and is it an
indoor or outdoor?

Gilbert
post #210 of 1189 Old 10-10-2005, 06:46 AM

Thanks to both of you. I'm finally all set up!!!!!

I pointed my dish directly north, and I'm picking up all of the Madison stations. Plus a couple of extras.

Wish I would have found this forum earlier.

The stations that I'm getting now include:

(3.1,3.2,15.1,21.1,21.2,27.1,47.1,57.1)

Thanks alot.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page