CINCINNATI Official January 2003 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 222 Old 01-10-2003, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You'll need a dual LNB round dish pointed at 119. As I understand it, you'll need to use the same tone multiswitch that comes with the oval dish; put the 2 inputs from the round dish into Sat B inputs and the 2 Sat A inputs can come from your new oval dish. If you have the Sat C kit, this usually gets combined with one of the Sat B inputs to the multiswitch by means of a combiner that is included in the Sat C kit. In any case, the manuals describe it fairly well, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Try www.lyngsat.com and look at the Digital Packages link to determine what is on each of the DTV sats.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 222 Old 01-10-2003, 10:02 AM

SC300T
I have recently installed a 3 lnb dish (Terk antennas). My reading average in the 80`s on the 119deg bird and in the 70`s on the 110 deg sat using an rca hdtv receiver. I believe on the 110 sat only transponder 8,10,and 12 are normally active. So when tuning the dish one of these must be selected. A possibility for your problem is a poorly performing LNB. Aiming,cabling,and setup maybe right on but a noisy LNB can ruin your whole day. I know this from first hand experience. No two LNB`s are exactly the same some just abit better than others. Good luck. This is going to be an excellent weather weekend for antenna work!!:)
TOM in Westchester....
post #63 of 222 Old 01-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
SC300T
If you already have the 3LNB dish up, it may be better to just work out the difficulties with it. Especially if it's one of the Phase III integrated dishes, with the built-in multiswitch and sat-C combiner.

Tom's right. You can swap the 101 and 119 LNBs to see if your problem follows the swap. If it does, it's the LNB. If not, start looking at the cabling between the 119 LNB and the Sat-C combiner (If yours is a new, integrated dish, it may not be possible to check all of those connections). 90% of the time, if the dish is aimed correctly, it's a cabling issue. Loose connector, shorted braid.. could be anything. We'll help you when you get that far.

As for the inline amp you tried, I should have been more specific. R/S sells an inline amp specifically for satellite use. It's rather small and draws power from the receivers. The salesguy ought to be able to point you to it.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #64 of 222 Old 01-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I know this isn't really the greatest place to post this, but with all you Cincinnati guys around, does anyone know if the Costco in Tri-County carries the Pioneer 643 HDTV for $2499 or whatever they're supposed good price is. I see people posting on www.***************.com all the time about getting them at Costcos. Thank you.

Robert Willis
post #65 of 222 Old 01-11-2003, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
WKOI-DT 39 update: Now that the wind has finally died down, I'm able to pull them in this afternoon. Still had to remove all the stuff from the feedline except the "main" 2-way splitter in the attic just after the preamp power supply to do it though.

On the HDV420(39-2, doesn't remap to 43-1), It's at about 34%, just right at beginning of the "Normal" range, getting no dropouts or blockiness/etc. On the DTC-100, getting a 34 reading, with some audio dropouts and blockiness.

That's all of it I need to see!

Jeff
post #66 of 222 Old 01-11-2003, 01:10 PM

Tonight I am hosting our neighborhood holiday party, and I plan to approach the subject of rooftop antennas, which are banned in our homeowner's assn. There are only 15 houses in the subdivision, so there shouldn't be a huge contingent. Any suggestions for approaching this topic and winning?

Kathy
post #67 of 222 Old 01-11-2003, 02:00 PM

Kathy,

Well, you could start out with: "Since under federal law any of us are allowed to place television receiving antennas on our own property despite local rules and association regulations, what is the best, non-offensive way for one or more of us to take advantage of free, over the air high definition digital television? I mean we all want to get along and to preserve the value and ascetics of the neighborhood."

After all the law is on your side.

Good luck!
post #68 of 222 Old 01-12-2003, 04:00 PM

I just purchased an Hitachi 57twx20b that is coming tomorrow. I want to get an antenna to get local HD broadcasts. I bought a radio shack indoor antenna to try first because I was hoping not to have to put up an outdoor one. I hooked up the antenna to my current tv and it picks up the local channels well here in Maineville. Does good reception on SD signals mean you could do fine for digital ones? Also, I will be using Direct tv(Adelphia is the cable provider here, ugh!!!!) and will be buying a STB. I am down to the Sony hd200 and the zenith sat 520. I can get the zenith from amazon for $599 and Alamo Electronics in Montgomery has the sony's for $799. I have heard these 2 boxes are basically the same and the sony costs more just because of the "sony" name. Anyone have any experience with either of these two STB's. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
post #69 of 222 Old 01-12-2003, 05:46 PM

quick questions for you guys.
Do the locals broadcast anything in 5.1? or is it all Stereo? The reason I'm asking is that I have the "MyHD" pc card and everything I watch is in Stereo and there was a thread over in the programming forum that said the playoffs were in surround (guy mentioned problem with center channel).

Thanks for any info as this is probably a releativly easy question...

Dave
post #70 of 222 Old 01-12-2003, 06:10 PM

marmup,

Those are both good boxes, and you are correct, they are very similar. The other contenders would be the Samsung TS160 at $599 and the Hughes E86 at $499. Personally, I think the technology is evolving so rapidly that I went with the Hughes as it is less of a sunk cost. I also have a Samsung T150 for OTA only for my upstairs, it is the best box I've seen for OTA sensitivity. Since you are using DirecTV (as am I), you know, of course, that Hughes owns and runs the service.

I'm in Amelia, so I can only relay my experience here; and an indoor antenna will not cut it. Maybe in a few months when all the local digitals are at full power, but that is not the case right now. Even with my outdoor rig (which is small), I cannot get 64-1/33 or digital 39. The full power stations come in fine, but going to a decent indoor antenna, I lose PBS on both 48-1 and 54-x. Your mileage may vary, but if you also have any desire to pick up the Dayton stations, I think you will be happier with an outdoor antenna.

Good luck and welcome to the thread!

Dave
post #71 of 222 Old 01-12-2003, 06:12 PM

hugenbdd,

PBS on 48.1/34 broadcasts in DD 5.1. They are the only ones that consistently do that I have seen.

Dave
post #72 of 222 Old 01-12-2003, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hugenbdd,

I think only WCET-DT currently(according to the info from my audio receiver/decoder anyhow), is capable of DD 5.1. The rest are just DD 2.0/Prologic.

Speaking of WCET-DT, they appear to be off the air currently, or at very, very low power. Noticed the audio was missing most of the day too.

Marmup,

Concerning your reception, It's really hard to say how your digital reception will work out with an indoor antenna, if you're seeing the analogs well(no noise or ghosting -- Especially so if you're getting good, or at least decent quality reception from say, 19,25,38,48 analogs) with your current antenna, I'd say, currently, you at least have a shot of getting reception of some sort from the Cincy ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox digitals. However, since you're about 20 Miles out, your best bet would be a directional antenna mounted outdoors, such as a small-medium VHF/UHF Combo(Yagi) -- (Cincy ABC is on channel 10 VHF, BTW). This, with a rotor, or 2 antennas on seperate feedlines would give you a good shot at the Dayton stations as well.

Not sure what antenna you're currently using, but, a better antenna indoors might help for Cincy stations too, near a window that faces the transmitting towers is probably the best place for an indoor antenna. Besides Yagis, Bowtie type antennas can work well on UHF, "rabbit ears" might do it for you on VHF for channel 10, given the antenna is placed in a nice "sweet spot", which you may be able to find via experimentation.

PBS Cincy(WCET-DT w/PBS HD), and (WSTR-DT(WB - No HD) are currently running at low power and would most likely be difficult from your location with any indoor antenna. WSTR-DT probably moreso because their directional antenna doesn't send much energy your way. WCVN-DT (PBS/KET - No HD yet, 4 channel SD multicast) in N KY would probably also be difficult from your location from indoors.

In any event, if you want, nothing wrong with trying your current antenna out when you get your STB ... See what you get before "moving up", if necessary or desired. Just a guess, but, if you can find a "sweet spot" to put your current antenna, I'd guess you'll get something, at least from the high power Cincy DTV stations.

Good luck and hope this helps,

update: DT_parker -- Sorry for pretty much repeating the same info you provided, that's what happens when I type while watching HD "Alias" <g>

Jeff
post #73 of 222 Old 01-12-2003, 07:38 PM

I too chose the E86... It was 1. Cheap, 2. Available 3. No glaring bugs. Biggest drawback I see to the hughes box is that lacks refinement in the menu trees, just not intuitive. I'm not a fan of the way the on-screen guide works, and the guide itself is painfully slow.

The only negative I see against the Sony box is that there have been complaints with reboots on some models in some locales. Not sure if Cinci is a problem area--something about some channel ID tag on OTA broadcasts.

My major gripe with most current set top boxes is the lack of aspect ratio/zoom options. I'd like to see more combinations of slight zoom and slight stretch, rather than one or the other. The hughes box won't even stretch OR zoom on certain program material which is frustrating. It looks like the Sony has 8 different stretch/zoom modes.
post #74 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Marmup,

There is a very lengthy thread on the Zenith 520 here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

You might want to read up on the last few pages of that thread as they have been reporting on performance lately. The first several pages of that thread were mainly just talk in anticipation of the release of the Zenith and Sony boxes.

Paul

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #75 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anybody else notice any (mostly subtle to the untrained eye) macroblocking during the CBS football broadcasts this weekend? Could this be due to the local affiliate sending wireless broadband to rural customers?
post #76 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Michael,

I think what you're referring to is compression artifacts, and yes, I notice it nearly all the time, especially in fast moving scenes. That's been my biggest complaint of HD so far. Either my expectations are dropping or yesterday's game (Jets vs. Raiders) looked better than usual.

Paul

post #77 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 07:40 AM
wwt

Check out the article on HDTV by John Kiesewetter on Monday's front page of the Tempo section.
post #78 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael St. Clair
Could this be due to the local affiliate sending wireless broadband to rural customers?
Perhaps to some degree. That and their 2nd subchannel for WX radar. To my eyes, CBS Dayton was a bit worse compression artifact wise this weekend, they are also running a 2nd subchannel(probably allocating more bandwidth to it than WKRC-DT is too), and may be datacasting in some manner as well. Still, as Paul suggested, the game yesterday did look awfully good.

It would be nice to be able to compare with a station that was giving HD/AC-3/PSIP the full 19.39 mb/s however, my guess is we would notice the difference.

Jeff
post #79 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Michael, Paul..
I'm not sure if the internet service has much to do with it. Since it's only supposed to use the nulls and goes in downstream, it should be invisible. Theoretically. I think the second subchannel has more to do with it than anything. I'm afraid we'll see the same thing during the Super Bowl, too, but we'll have to wait and see.

Good thing about WLWT. Knock on wood, but they're committed to keepin the whole 19.3Mb/s bandwidth for the main HD channel. That's why, during the Olympics a year ago, there were no compression artifacts. Matter of fact, WLWT-DT looked better than the same programming on HDNet, and that's hard to do. Notice that, no matter how fast they pan that camera during Leno (NBC's only 1080i video; everything else is film) there's nothing but picture. Wish the rest would either get the idea or cut that radar subchannel down to videophone quality <g>.

Doc

post #80 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Jeff,

I still don't understand the reasoning behind WKRC-DT and WHIO-DT running the sub-channels when they're broadcasting HD on the main channel. I'm no rocket scientist, but in my simple mind, that just makes NO SENSE!

Paul

post #81 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WCET-DT just came back up, at 11:01am -- I was looking forward to seeing the "Under Antartic Ice" last night, but they had just went off air! I'll get another chance I would imagine. BTW, WCET-DT is another station that uses the full bandwidth for the HD currently, and it definitely shows I think.

Paul,

I wish they wouldn't do it either. They really shouldn't be when they are doing HD. WHIO-DT especially makes no sense, since the program content is the same -- Just SD, and sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't, yet I don't think they have upped the bandwidth they send to the 1st subchannel. I suppose though, there are all kinds of reasons why a station might want to use multiple program streams(even if the programming is the same), such as if they wanted to get the 4x3 SD from the digital to a cableco headend or something. Same deal with the radar on 12-2 and 9-2. Concerning WXIX-DT's 2 subchannels, I wish, until they can do the switching and formatting for Fox EDTV stuff correctly, they'd just leave the first one "set" for Fox 480p stuff and we can look at the 2nd subchannel for the other programming!

Thing is though, we see this on WHIO-DT, but, WKEF-DT is also running a 2nd subchannel, as they were last year during Olympics -- But HD Olympics in 1080i on WKEF-DT looked just as good as on WLWT-DT! Granted, though, I think WKEF-DT was really squeezing the bandwidth on the 2nd subchannel at the time.

Jeff
post #82 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

What the world needs is a STB that tells you what the throughput is.

I was just looking on TitanTV--they're showing the AFC Championship game that's on 1/19 on CBS in SD. Tell me it ain't so!

post #83 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wwt
Check out the article on HDTV by John Kiesewetter on Monday's front page of the Tempo section.
http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/01...m_Kiese13.html

Good article!

I noticed the compression during some shots yesterday, but over all it was pretty awesome. I know nothing about this though: can't they just shut off the sub channel during a HD broadcast? I find WKRC's map to be useless, at least WCPO has an actual forecast occasionally.
post #84 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Does WKRC send their stream to Time Warner via leased connection? If so, they should send the full 19.39 mb/s to the cable customers; datacasting and subchannels should be irrelevant to cable.
post #85 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I just sent Mr. Kiesewetter an email explaining the subchannel issue. Wouldn't it be great if we could get a follow-up column mentioning this issue?

Hint, hint. :)
post #86 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Paul..
I'm afraid it's another one of Titan's famous "errors." You'll note that, even though it was in TINY print, "HDTV where available" showed up in the CBS promo for next Sunday night's game.

All..
When I look at the second subchannel, I'm driven back to my days as an enginner for AM-FM combo stations. Since the FMs were a "necessary evil" and little more than baggage for the money-making AMs, they frequently were pressed into some other service. At one station, the FM subcarrier was used as a really big intercom. The AM announcer could communicate with someone at a remote site miles away. Another sold its subcarrier to Muzak. Still another one ran the Talking Books service. I'd heard stories of subcarriers that ran classical music 24/7 just because the owner wanted to listen to that in his office all day.

So, I'd guess that's what we're seeing with some of the subchannels. The boss wants access to the radar at his home. WCPO is marketing the Weather loop to cable companies. (I'd guess that subchannel is the dirt cheap delivery method.) Heck, WKRC used their subchannel so prisoners could see the Billy Graham Crusade when it came to town. As for the rest, it's probably just to prove that they can. Or, in case they need it.

We're still a ways from the analog signoff and my prediction of multichannel daytime, HD primetime is still looking valid. That's what I'd do. That subchannel would be a shopping channel, a leased religious channel or some other niche service. Heck, with the disappearance of classical music from the radio airwaves, I'm really surprised they don't put that on a subchannel accompanied by the same kind of title/artist crawl you see on DirecTV's Music Choice channels.

Ok, I'm rambling, now.. (and if you're a TV CEO lurking here and you end up using any of these ideas, remember where you got them <g>.)

Doc

post #87 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I spoke too soon. looks like WCET-DT is doing some multicast tests right now, PBS HD demo on 48-1, simulcast of their analog on 48-2. Hopefully, this is just a test. According to their website, they plan to do some multicasting, let's just hope not at the same time as HD, in prime time anyhow.

Michael,

I'm not sure it would be as simple as it might sound, especially at this time, to send the full stream "seperately" via fiber to the cableco.

Doc,

I actually find the WKRC/WCPO radars (+forecasts from the latter) very handy, quicker than messing with it via the internet. WKRC does have the best Radar setup, which is why I perfer it over the others. I would just rather it not be there when they're doing HD, and, I could certianly do without it completely as well.

Another thing, is the Audio on 12-2 a "seperate" portion of the datastream from the 12-1 audio? Granted, it can't be eating up much bandwidth, but don't know why it has to be there.

Multichannel SD Daytime, HD nighttime makes a lot of sense to me for the time being also.

I just hope HD doesn't become "available via Cable or DBS only", or even via encrypted OTA --- I.e. if you want it, you have to pay for it, with OTA DTV(4x3 SD) there to reach the small TV set in the kitchen, with stations doing the SD mulitcast thing 24/7. I just won't do it. You can lead this horse to water, but you can't force him to pay $40 a month so he can drink<g>. In other words, if it ever gets to the point Free OTA TV disappears or is turned into an all-infomercial/Jerry Springer format/etc. The TV's will all be going out the door here, except perhaps 1 for DVD's.

Jeff
post #88 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitewatchman
I just hope HD doesn't become "available via Cable or DBS only"
I rather doubt it. Here's an industry that's been losing ground to cable for decades. Cable beats them because it has so much exclusive product. Well, finally, here's something the broadcasters have that cable can't offer: HD for free. It will be eons before cable can get all of its channels up to HD quality. So broadcasters have a narrow window to capitalize on the market exclusivity they haven't had in years. Unfortunately, they've already squandered a chunk of that time by whining about it and not promoting it.

I send them back to the AM-FM model. Once people became aware of the quality of FM radio, AM was relegated to niche programming. That's the very place broadcasters should be aiming for.

Doc

post #89 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 11:24 AM

Marmup,

I have the Sony HD200 and am very happy with the reception. Although, I had nothing to compare it to until recently. I added a Sony T-60 for Tivo to the same RPTV. While they are both Sony products, the HD200 produces a better picture than the T-60 for regular DirecTV reception, and therefore, I only use the Tivo for recording programs.

I had my RPTV professionally calibrated by a guy from Washington D.C. and he commented several times on how well he thought the Sony HD200 performed.

Pricey, yes. So if price is your concern, Sony won't be your choice.

I share your opinion regarding Adelphia cable, which is one reason I switched to DirecTV last October.

Good luck with your decision.

Kathy
post #90 of 222 Old 01-13-2003, 12:21 PM

Personally I think the OTA broadcasters do want PPV or subscriptions. Why else would they be fighting for the broadcast flag, etc.? I wouldn't be surprised at all with one super-compressed free channel and the rest devoted to paid services, such as data, music, and HDTV. Not that I want it to happen -- I'd be writing my congressman for sure.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page