OTA Antenna Advice Please. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Old 07-25-2015, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OTA Antenna Advice Please.

I need some help improving the reception.

I currently have a TERK Omnidirectional amplified antenna in my attic. The link is below. I also have it hooked up to a TIVO Roamio (which has four tuners and I think weakens the signal).

It works OK, but I'd like to strengthen my signals as most come in around 60 when I do an analysis- I would also like to get FOX in HD (that was my biggest motivation).

I tried to make a strong upgrade with Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X VHF/UHF Outdoor TV Antenna (HDB8X). I figured this would me much stronger- I also attached a pre-amp Winegard LNA 200- but my results were a weaker signal (I pointed it right at the tower out of Kalkaska and those signals were weaker).

I figured the much larger antenna would be a big help, but there wasn't.

Below is my TV Fool report (it was here, but since I have fewer than 5 posts I cannot put any links in.

Some final questions
Can I attach a distribution AMP to the TERK antenna I currently have to help with signal loss?

Why is this small TERK antenna doing a better job than the large one I put in?

Any antenna suggestions for some thing stronger? It must go in the attic unfortunately (and I know my location isn't great as I need to pick up stations 25-45 miles away.

Thanks in advance for your help. This has been frustrating and am running out of ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeturtle View Post
I need some help improving the reception.

I currently have a TERK Omnidirectional amplified antenna in my attic. The link is below. I also have it hooked up to a TIVO Roamio (which has four tuners and I think weakens the signal).

It works OK, but I'd like to strengthen my signals as most come in around 60 when I do an analysis- I would also like to get FOX in HD (that was my biggest motivation).

I tried to make a strong upgrade with Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X VHF/UHF Outdoor TV Antenna (HDB8X). I figured this would me much stronger- I also attached a pre-amp Winegard LNA 200- but my results were a weaker signal (I pointed it right at the tower out of Kalkaska and those signals were weaker).

I figured the much larger antenna would be a big help, but there wasn't.

Below is my TV Fool report (it was here, but since I have fewer than 5 posts I cannot put any links in.

Some final questions
Can I attach a distribution AMP to the TERK antenna I currently have to help with signal loss?

Why is this small TERK antenna doing a better job than the large one I put in?

Any antenna suggestions for some thing stronger? It must go in the attic unfortunately (and I know my location isn't great as I need to pick up stations 25-45 miles away.

Thanks in advance for your help. This has been frustrating and am running out of ideas.
Sometimes you get better assistance in the Technical advice area.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/

Since you are unable to post links at the moment can you post your latitude and longitude?

Most smartphones will do this for you especially if you have a compass app.

Lat/Lon are obtainable by typing your address into Google Maps and clicking on the star that marks your location.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here's my location from Google Maps.

44.757603, -85.600433
post #4 of 4 Unread Today, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeturtle View Post
Here's my location from Google Maps.

44.757603, -85.600433
Here is the link to your TV Fool report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03b86e16cb49

But as I mentioned it's probably best to post your problem in the Technical forum.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page