Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1424 Old 11-30-2004, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too am disappointed with the quality of the fast moving action scenes on the KELO broadcasts. It is very noticeable and not evident on the ABC football games. Can the UPN service be that big a money generator that it is worth the degradation of the HD signal. I wish KELO would revisit their decision to split the digital bandwidth.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1424 Old 11-30-2004, 11:07 AM

I know when football games run long KELO moves their newscasts to the UPN channel. I'm guessing that will be one convenient excuse they can use to keep it. UPN stinks. I'm even noticing the problems more and more on shows like the CSI's. Monday Night Football is so much more enjoyable than any football games on CBS now. Hopefully KSFY keeps things as is.
post #273 of 1424 Old 12-08-2004, 05:18 AM

Has anyone heard anything new of when KTIV will be boosting their signal and raising their antenna? Just curious.
post #274 of 1424 Old 12-08-2004, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

In an email from Dave Madsen, station manage for KTIV, he wrote,
"our "upgrade" plans for our KTIV-DT will be late summer next year. It's quite a complicated project, involving purchase and installation of a new transmitter, new antenna, moving the antenna to the top of our tower, building a building to house the transmitter gear, etc. Stay tuned!"

Bill
post #275 of 1424 Old 12-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Sunday Ticket HD has Vikes/Seattle and is not blacked out, Hope they do same with Packers game.
post #276 of 1424 Old 12-13-2004, 11:38 AM

I need some info from any of the people around Sioux City that can receive KSFY-DT (ABC) from Sioux Falls. Thing is, before about a year ago I could get KSFY ok (from Morningside in SC) with a few drop-outs now & then, but now it doesn't even register on the signal meter. Has anyone noticed a change in the last year? I wonder if KSIN-DT starting their broadcasts on ch.28 has any affect on KSFY-DT on ch.29?

Mark
post #277 of 1424 Old 12-13-2004, 12:25 PM

KSFY reception in Sioux City:

I live on the north side of Sioux City and have been watching KSFY HD only since October. In that time, I have seen their signal level rise and drop sharply. They seem to push a stronger signal in the eveings during weekday prime time, and all day on weekends. Often I cannot receive a signal at all during the day, right up until about 7 PM. I used to think it had something to do with the sun setting, but as the days have gotten shorter the signal still doesn't seem to improve until around 7 PM.

Perhaps they are economising by pumping out fewer watts during the day, and increasing output for prime time.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #278 of 1424 Old 12-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

I believe mulllin is right. I just live 4 miles from the tower and I have noticed that signal drop at times also. I have noticed it after 10:00 pm or early morning. KDLT-NBC also has done that, but I do not believe KELO does.
post #279 of 1424 Old 12-13-2004, 03:50 PM

New to the forum but I finally have found some people that are local that have some of the same issues as me this is awesome. One quick question is what ota antennas has everyone had the best luck with. I am on my third one and I give it a so so rating it is one of the new jensens I forget what model but it has a rotatable loop on top and I can have it pick up half in one direction and if i turn it I get the rest. It has 45 Db power I think I am going to try the new terk from BB. I live about 20 miles from most of the towers. Just wanted to know what everyone else had luck with.

I also think we need to get on KTTW's case and get them going with their HD broadcast. The only way to speed up the process is to increase the demand for it and right now I dont think there has been much vocal demand yet. So lets change that.
post #280 of 1424 Old 12-13-2004, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

remm,
I am a big fan of the Channel Master 4228. It is the antenna I have and I pull in the Sioux Falls stations and I am 80+ miles away from the transmitters. (I have an amplifier also.)

Bill
post #281 of 1424 Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

remmnate

I have used the TERK that is supposed to be omnidirectional that looks like a big grey cigar. Stay away!! I did not have much luck. I personally think that the TERK and Jensen antennas are nice looking and well built, but are not at funcional as the good old outdoor antenna.

I presently use a large UHF/VHF combo antenna, but am unsure of the manufacturer. Bought it at Warren Supply two years ago. I point it at KTTW and get rest of the digital signals out of the side of the antenna as FOX is at 235° and the other three networks are at about 100° but very close proximity (4 mi).

If you are tired of pointing & turning indoor antennas, it might be worth trying a small Radio Shack UHF only outdoor antenna ($24.00-75 mile range) pointed at Rowena. That should get you CBS ABC NBC WB UPN. FOX is VHF so you would still need something else to tune it in. I tried the RS UHF pointed at Rowena and a small VHF/UHF combo pointed at FOX and put them in serial. I got way to much ghosting from the close stations, but if you are farther away that may not happen.

Have you been to www.antennaweb.org to see where all the towers are from your location? That helps alot.
post #282 of 1424 Old 12-14-2004, 04:07 PM

I have been to antennaweb and have the sioux falls stations ksf kelo upn in one direction and pbs and pbs hd are about 120 degrees different. I have not been able to get fox with any antenna I have tried yet. I have no problem with an outdoor antenna as far as cosmetics go but running the wire to the basement is going to be a big challenge if I take that route. There is a new terk with two bow ties and somewhere in the area of 55 db amplification which is the most on an indoor antenna that I have found. I am going to give that a try tonite. Ill let you guys know how that works. I can always take it back. And man monday night football was probably the most impressive hi def programming I have seen yet. Even better than some of the discovery HD stuff. I just wish fox would go HD so you could have all of the sunday games in HD.
post #283 of 1424 Old 12-15-2004, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

remmnate

I am not sure there is an indoor antenna that will help you if you are doing this in the lower level and have some concrete and/or earth in your way. I originally tried an indoor in my lower level, which is a walk out and had a hard time getting consistent signals from even my close stations.

I originally ran RG6 out a window to an outdoor mounted on my deck to make sure it was an improvement, prior to cutting holes, etc. But it definitely helped my signal. I think you might be able to pull in FOX with that RS VHF antenna, if you point it straight at the tower. I am about 8 miles away and get 75% signal strength on my Fusion HDTV in my computer.

You are right about ABC MNF. That and ESPN look by far the best at this point in time on my set up.
post #284 of 1424 Old 12-15-2004, 03:08 PM

Just an update on the antennas. The terk tv5 is no good after a digital scan I only received one channel with this antenna. I think I will stay with the jensen I can get KSFY KELO UPN and the two pbs channels with it in my basement. The three from sioux falls come in 95 % of the time and pbs about 80 so I can live with that until Summer when I can put up an outdoor. I have still never been able to get fox with any antenna at all. No big deal though until it goes HD.
post #285 of 1424 Old 12-15-2004, 07:05 PM

Thanks all, for the info on KSFY reception.

Happy Holidays!!!

Mark
post #286 of 1424 Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 PM

Hello,

Just let you all know that KETV out of Omaha is back up. Digital signal 20-1 remapped to 7-1. I can get a signal from Omaha but not from Sioux Falls. I watching Remember the Titans in HDTV with 5.1. Sounds AWESOME.

WHAT A TREAT

Craig
post #287 of 1424 Old 12-20-2004, 11:07 AM

Just got and e-mail from Ed from KTTW today and this is what he said

(The power will not be going up anytime soon. As far as the HD we will have
it on over the air by Mid January if everything goes right. We also
anticipate being on Midcontinent Cable and Prairie Wave Cable.)

also got one from KDLT and here it is.

(Right now our plans are shooting for November 2005 hopefully we can be
on the air with HDTV by that time pending weather conditions and equipment
arrival.)
post #288 of 1424 Old 12-20-2004, 11:10 AM

anyone khow what antenna i should get to recieve KTTW?? I live in Brandon. I can recieve KDLT, KSFY, KELO, KWSD, and KCSD, but not KTTW.
post #289 of 1424 Old 12-29-2004, 05:08 PM

Craig,

Thanks again for the heads-up. I hadn't even considered Omaha stations since KSFY went out for me. I turned my rotor and I get KETV better than I ever got KSFY. Just in time for the bowl games too.

Mark
post #290 of 1424 Old 12-30-2004, 12:07 AM

Mark,

Glad to hear that about KETV. The DD5.1 sounds AWESOME on MNF and the movies.

Have a safe and a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Hopefully 2005 will bring us KMEG, KCAU and KPTH broadcasting in HDTV and in DD5.1 and KTIV to pass DD5.1 for NASCAR.

Craig
post #291 of 1424 Old 12-30-2004, 07:25 AM

I have never received local brodcasts in DD 5.1 for any program or channel. My Sony has a cablecard, and I do get DD for the HBO-HD and TNT-HD -- but never for the HD broadcasts from PBS, KTIV, KSFY or KELO that I pick up on my antenna.

Are others getting DD 5.1 audio streams from these broadcasters?

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #292 of 1424 Old 12-30-2004, 05:05 PM

rmullin,

Some of the PBS (KSIN) programs are DD5.1. KETV (ABC) out of Omaha passes DD5.1. KTIV, KSFY and KELO does not pass DD5.1.

Craig
post #293 of 1424 Old 12-31-2004, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Craig for the information.
Since we all are on the edge of HDTV reception here. What does everyone think about the experience. I for one am disappointed. The blockiness of the CBS HD transmission is very annoying. A good ghost free analog signal is better at motion.

The one thing digital is good at is ghost free reception. If there is too much ghosting then the signal just drops out.

Also the UHF band where all these stations reside is more effected by tree leaves and summer weather.

Just my thoughts

Bill
post #294 of 1424 Old 01-01-2005, 12:12 PM

Was getting the Hawkeyes in HD and DD 2.0 on SF KSFY 13-1 up until about the start of 2nd quarter. Then was getting a flashing scrambled green screen, and now just getting SD signal. Any one else experience this as well, or is it just me? Was good while it lasted.

Also...I understand that some of these bowl games are in DD 5.1 audio. Any one know when our locals (KSFY, KELO, etc.) will be passing the 5.1 on to us?
post #295 of 1424 Old 01-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

cdieren,

I called KSFY today and since we are on weather alert, they took away the HD signal so they could run weather crawls and have no plans to put HD back up until weather improves. Almost half time of Rose Bowl and no HD. NSW alert is not off until 9:00 so no hopes for the Utah game either I have to assume.

Stations need to figure something out for the crawls so we can continue to receive the HD feed or they need to give me waivers for the nationals off of D*.

One good thing out of this, when I called the switchboard, she gave me the phone number for the master control engineer. That is how I found out what was going on.
post #296 of 1424 Old 01-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

beeper 3000,

I am just west of Spring Creek GC and I have a large outdoor attenna pointed at FOX (Got it from Menards- biggest they have). I only get 70-75% signal from FOX.

If you are in Brandon, it may be very hard to get a signal as there is are hills between you and the tower. Maybe they will be broadcasting a better signal once they go HD.

I hope they do go HD by end of Jan, otherwise no HD Super Bowl.
post #297 of 1424 Old 01-03-2005, 08:33 AM

Since KSFY dropped the HD feed on Saturday because of the weather, I am concerned that they may do the same for Tuesday night's BCS championship since another winter storm is approaching.

BVFan, would you like to call KSFY and ask them what they intend to do? Make sure they know that with 1,000 other ways to get the weather alerts, we could sacrifice theirs long enough to watch the whole game in HD.
post #298 of 1424 Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 AM

Also, kudos to KSFY and ABC in general for providing HD coverage of the Rose Parade on New Year's morning. It was stunning. I'm not a parade guy, but I couldn't take my eyes off of it.
post #299 of 1424 Old 01-03-2005, 11:41 AM

Was counting on watching 3 straight bowl games in glorious HD...then got that green screen of death. Figured something was messed up with the feed or the problem was on KSFY's end with the ice and what not. But i'm throwing up the "BS" flag on the weather warning excuse. I posted this over a year ago:

KSFY-DT
I noticed last weekend that KSFY-DT was not interrupting the HD broadcast with the "Weather Warnings". The SD broadcast had all the scrolling messages, tickers, maps, etc., but the HD broadcast was in all it's glory. First I had noticed of this. This is something that had annoyed me all summer because KSFY seemed to leave the warnings on for long periods of time, which would knock the HD broadcast back to SD. Kudos to KSFY and hopefully KELO can follow suit.

I'm pretty upset if they've changed their stance on this issue. Is it so hard to turn back to SD to get weather info?
post #300 of 1424 Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

I too am worried about Tuesday's game HD coverage with weather coming in. KELO also goes to SD during their crawlers, but at least they go back to HD within a few minutes (normally). Are weather alerts something the FCC mandates as part of their license? If so why can they not just have them on the SD channel and run a short alert on HD stating to turn to SD for more info.

I am going to try to call someone at KSFY today to see if we can't get a better idea of why they did not go HD on Sat. until sometime after the offical warning was over at 9PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page