Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1416 Old 01-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree that the ABC Rose parade coverage in HD was awesome to watch. I did switch over to Discovery HD (on D*) during ABC's commercials though and it was just as good. It was the KTLA? (Los Angles) live feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1416 Old 01-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

I emailed KSFY's station manager, program director, and head engineer today inquiring why we had to wait until the end of the NWS warning to get HD on Sat eve. Will post a reply when I get one. If I do not get one tomorrow, I plan to call. I was also wondering if the weekend guy didn't want to worry about switching back and forth during the weather crawls.

I also emailed KTTW as my FOX digital signal was extremely weak yesterday( about 35%, normally is 80%). Hopefully it is because they are working on coversion of the equipment. I do not watch FOX much except for football so I am not sure how long signal has been weaker.

Will post email responses I get, if any.
post #303 of 1416 Old 01-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bbdotsd
....Since we all are on the edge of HDTV reception here. What does everyone think about the experience. I for one am disappointed. The blockiness of the CBS HD transmission is very annoying. A good ghost free analog signal is better at motion.

The one thing digital is good at is ghost free reception. If there is too much ghosting then the signal just drops out.

Also the UHF band where all these stations reside is more effected by tree leaves and summer weather.

Just my thoughts

Bill,

I was happy with KELO-DT & their CBS programming when they first started broadcasting HD, but since they started multicasting the UPN channel on 11-2, it stinks. Fast motion is terrible and the picture seems softer overall. I really don't have any dropouts from KELO regardless of conditions, but my antenna is on the roof. I recall yours is in the attic?

From what I've seen I think 720p broadcasts look better for fast motion than 1080i. The Bowl games were (are) awesome from KETV-DT in Omaha (720p).

Overall though, I'd say I'm happy with my digital reception. I can get PBS, ABC, CBS, & NBC no problem.

Mark
post #304 of 1416 Old 01-04-2005, 08:36 AM

UPN 11-2 is the devil.
post #305 of 1416 Old 01-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Husker: I agree that CBS does not look as sharp now. I really can not pinpoint it to when UPN came on though. I thought the NFL looked better this fall that it does now, but that is rather subjective. I wonder if they also have some other subchannel(s) they are doing some data broadcasting on now that we don't see on our receivers.

I'm not sure this shows how much compression (or band-width sharing) KELOHD is doing. I recorded NCIS on Tuesday and the files was about 6.8 GB. I recorded Alias from KSFYHD and it was about 8GB. Both were for 1 hour. My numbers aren't exact, but there was a definite difference.

I thought that KELO used to give me about a 16 GB file for two hours when I was recording this year on Monday's from 8-10. I used to record KELOHD while I watched ABC MNF live, but have deleted those files so I don't have a reference. I may have also been recording both subchannels and not realizing it.

I will also look at my PBSHD recording file sizes as they have subchannels. PBS has always looked very sharp, but they have no live sports to make a good comparision with.

I try to research the file sizes further to see if I get a larger file recording just the PSBHD sub than when I record just the KELOHD sub.
post #306 of 1416 Old 01-17-2005, 08:08 AM

Over the weekend, I was getting a bunch of popping noises and hissing on KSFY 13-1. It improved Sunday, but still had audio dropouts about 1 second in length every couple of minutes or so. I haven't had any other audio issues with any other Digital stations, OTA or DirecTV.

Anyone else having/had audio issues with KSFY 13-1?
post #307 of 1416 Old 01-17-2005, 08:44 AM

I wasn't getting any audio at all on Saturday via Midco. I didn't check Sunday until the evening, and then it was fine. Not sure what the problem was. Didn't worry too much about it because it was mostly a football weekend.

Go Blue!
post #308 of 1416 Old 01-17-2005, 09:47 AM

Definately noticed the sound problems on Saturday. Didn't notice it on Sunday but I didn't watch it much. I think the problems were during the local news too so it was a KSFY problem and not a network problem I would think.
post #309 of 1416 Old 01-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BVfan
Husker: I agree that CBS does not look as sharp now. I really can not pinpoint it to when UPN came on though. I thought the NFL looked better this fall that it does now, but that is rather subjective. I wonder if they also have some other subchannel(s) they are doing some data broadcasting on now that we don't see on our receivers.

KELO is broadcasting its HD channel at about 15 mbits/sec, and UPN at around 4 mbits/sec. That missing 4 mbits/sec results in quite a loss of picture quality, most notably on their NFL telecasts.

Quote:

I'm not sure this shows how much compression (or band-width sharing) KELOHD is doing. I recorded NCIS on Tuesday and the files was about 6.8 GB. I recorded Alias from KSFYHD and it was about 8GB. Both were for 1 hour. My numbers aren't exact, but there was a definite difference.

KSFY is broadcasting in 720p (vs 1080i for KELO) at about 12.2 mbits/sec. If your files are the same size for both, you're recording the entire stream, including sub-channels and Null packets. 720p compresses a lot better than 1080i, unfortunately for CBS, so ABC's games don't suffer the artifacting and loss of quality that we're seeing on KELO.

Quote:

I will also look at my PBSHD recording file sizes as they have subchannels. PBS has always looked very sharp, but they have no live sports to make a good comparision with.

PBSHD has the same issues as CBSHD - it's 1080i with subchannels, so PQ suffers, especially during fast motion scenes. Fortunately, most of the PBS HD content is slow-panning documentaries, so it still looks great. If you watch some of their Soundstage concerts, closeups of guitars playing and other motion scenes definitely are degraded. PSB does some statistical multiplexing, I believe, which helps smooth over the worst of the motion artifacting.
post #310 of 1416 Old 01-19-2005, 07:40 PM

Today I spoke to Dave Madsen, general manager of KTIV in Sioux City about their HD broadcast strength and about getting KTIV-DT on our local CableOne system. Dave said that the broadcast signal would not be increased until some time in 2006, in conjunction with the other local stations using the same tower. He said that they were'nt going to do it alone, and would wait until they could coordinate with the other stations. All stations have to be at full strength power by some time in 2006.

He also said that he would be negotiating a new 3-year contract with CableOne in the next few months. Apparently his station group feels that their HD signal should be worth something to the cable system (and the cable system thinks they should get something for carrying their HD signal.) I think they both benefit if the local cable system carries their HD signal and it's a wash.

Please feel free to make friendly and reasonable requests to CableOne and KTIV to get them together and get the NBC HD signal on the cable. It benefits everyone.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #311 of 1416 Old 01-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mendu,

Thanks for explaining the technical aspects of the bit rate to me. I did the math on a 6.8GB file and it works out to about 15 mbits/sec as you explained.

What I can't explain is why I got a 16.2 GB file when I recorded ALIAS from KSFY for two hours on 1/5/05, but last night I recorded LOST and ALIAS for two hours and got a 10.2 GB file. I just pulled up the files and looked at them again so I wouldn't get the numbers wrong.

The 10.2 GB file works out to about 11.6 mbits/sec which is close to the 12.2 you stated, but that file on 1/5/05 works out to 18.4. Both are from ABC. Does that mean KSFY also broadcasts other subchannel data that ends up being wasted HD space if I do not tell the software to just record the subchannel I am interested in?
post #312 of 1416 Old 01-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

NFC Championship Game in HD on Local Fox. Just switched on the game and there is was. Wonder if they are testing signal or will stay up.

Picture looked as good as Sunday Ticket on D*

Audio shows up DD EX on my receiver so I assume 5.1 audio as KELO and KSFY both show as DD PLII on my receiver.
post #313 of 1416 Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 AM

I don't think this is a test. The channel showed up in my Digital cable guide from Midco. I don't think Midco would add it until it was up for good. I also don't think it was in 5.1. My receiver has a little light that lights up when it receives a 5.1 signal. That light was not on during the game. The game looked great though. Much better than the one on CBS. I'm glad they got it done before the SuperBowl.

Go Blue!
post #314 of 1416 Old 01-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mgoblue55
I don't think this is a test. The channel showed up in my Digital cable guide from Midco. I don't think Midco would add it until it was up for good. I also don't think it was in 5.1. My receiver has a little light that lights up when it receives a 5.1 signal. That light was not on during the game. The game looked great though. Much better than the one on CBS. I'm glad they got it done before the SuperBowl.

I did not realize MidCo had it on. That is good news to know it was not a test. Hopefully no glitches for SuperBowl.

As for the audio, since I receive my signal OTA, we may not be able to compare what is being broadcast. My reference points are that all KSFYHD and KELOHD on both my setups show Dobly Pro Logic. For PBSHD, the audio will switch between Dolby Pro Logic or Dobly Digital, depending on the show. FOXHD did the same, during the game the audio showed Dobly Digital and when I looked later the audio was Dobly Pro Logic.

24 should be in 5.1 tonight so I'll look again.
post #315 of 1416 Old 01-25-2005, 06:52 AM

Something looks hosed up today - couldn't get '24' last night, and today I have a signal but no lock on the channel. Sounds like they're still working out the glitches over there.
post #316 of 1416 Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mendu,

I am watching OTA and watched '24' in 720p WS last night. I checked on my HTPC card and was getting about 75-80% signal. Have not looked today. My wife is expecting 'American Idol' in HD tonight, so I hope things get worked out.
post #317 of 1416 Old 01-25-2005, 01:09 PM

KELO-HD

I exchanged emails with the engineer at KELO about their signal and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. They do NOT broadcast DD5.1 and have no current plans to add it.

Now if I could just pick up the Sioux Falls FOX HD signal here in Sioux City... can't get it at all here.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #318 of 1416 Old 01-26-2005, 12:40 AM

Hello, new to the forum

I can recieve many stations in the SF/SC area (Larchwood)w/ my OTA powered and unpowered antenna (2 seperate indoor antennas). i can get analog signals from the following stations: KELO,KSFY,KDLT,KTTW**,KMEG,KPTH,KCAU**,IAPTV*,MNPTV*,KWSD*,
KCPO**,SDPTV***,KTIV***
*A little fuzz, but clear enough
**Extreme fuzz
***Cannot recieve
The following are the D-TV stations i can recieve
KELO(32)~90%,KSFY(29)~80%^,SDPTV(24)~40%
^signal strength shows about 80% but will drop to 0 if a gnat flies by
Now ALL of my D-TV stations need the powered antenna at full gain, and MOST of my analog tv stations come in better w/ the non-powered ant.

I also did an auto-program of my tv right before posting to get the best figures.

Is this consistant w/ anyone else in my area? What channel is KTTW-DT? Also, what SC channels are broadcasting in DT & what are their channel #'s? I do get my SF locals from DishNetwork also, and might be getting SC locals in the new future w/ new legislation from Dish.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.~ColAvsFan

-Edit i see that cdieren is pretty close to me

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #319 of 1416 Old 01-26-2005, 05:53 AM

KTTW-HD is on CH 7. It gets remapped to 17-1. They are running on a temporary (!) low power license, so unless you're getting it through a cable feed, you just about have to be in Sioux Falls to receive it.

I'm seeing the same thing today with their signal, btw - the carrier seems to be there, but the receiver isn't syncing on it (no data). Is anyone getting a picture from them currently?
post #320 of 1416 Old 01-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Still no FOX-HD KTTW for me OTA.

COLAVSFANINNWIA

If you get a UHF outdoor antenna, your signals should go up quite a bit I would think Larchwood is only 8 miles line of signt from Rowena towers. You should also be able to pick up KDLT-DT for sure then. The only local you would not get with a UHF antenna is FOX. As Mendu stated that is being broadcast on channel 7.

I would think you could get KCSD-HD, KDLT-DT, UPN(the other subchannel on KELO-hd, 11.2) and WB. WB is also on the Rowena towers, So everything is the same direction for you.

Go to this link to see what I mean --> http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
post #321 of 1416 Old 01-26-2005, 10:54 PM

So I have many more questions.

I cannot put up any outdoor antenna (Die mom, Die, funny that I got 2 dishes put up though) it would all have to be indoor antennas. I dont know too much about antennas in particular, but I did try using a Terk indoor antenna. Worked better as a coffee table item! My powered antenna (RCA) can pick up 13.1,11.1,11.2,2.1,and 2.2; so i am missing out on 17.1,46.1, and 36.1. My tv can sense a 51 (36.1)DTV feed but cannot lock on it; as well as 34 DTV. (who is that?). I was looking at Terk.com and they have a TV55 ant indoor/outdoor, does anyone know about that one? I have looked at antennaweb.org before, but it only refers to outdoor ones. Also does anyone know a good place to find out where all TV towers are located and how much output they have? Like i know which ones KDLT, KSFY, and KELO are, but which is the WB tower and where is the Sioux Falls' SDPTV tower and KTTW? I was also curious about the SC analog and dtv towers.

So that is all i have for now, but expect to hear from me again this weekend when i try to do some re-arranging of ants. Also my room is not very ideal, it is halfway underground. ~ColAvsFan

P.S. Still looking for an updated list of SC DTV non remapped channel #'s.
-Edit, all i need is KMEG's DTV #
-Edit #2 I found something that said KTTW-DT is @ 22 watts!?

post #322 of 1416 Old 01-27-2005, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA
Also does anyone know a good place to find out where all TV towers are located and how much output they have?

Try this link:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

This will take you to the FCC's TV Query. Type in the call letters of the station you want to find out about and submit.

After following the links you should get information about the analog and digital stations for those call letters. There's even a link that'll get you a map showing where the transmitter is.

Keep in mind that if any of the records you get shows a "Special Temporary Authority," that means the station has permission to operate at less than full power for the time being, sometimes much less. These STAs will gradually go away as the transition to digital TV continues.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #323 of 1416 Old 01-27-2005, 01:22 AM

Thank you Dline, very helpful website. I have all the SC station #'s now too because of that!

post #324 of 1416 Old 01-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

COLAVSFANINNWIA

The only digital channel that is close that might look like 34 is 33 that is remapped to 50.1 from Sibley (IAPBS) from looking at the antennaweb site.

If you put your address in the antennaweb.org site, it will give you a listing of every stations available, how far they are from you, and orientation. If you click for a street level map it show direction to all stations from your address. So it is helpful even if you do not want to pick out an antennae.

If you are in a lower level, just getting your indoor antenna near a window will help. If you can get the "indoor" antenna outside that helps even more. I had a Terk powered indoor, outside with 20 ft RG6 extension for my lower level until I could get an outdoor put up. and it helped alot. If you are trying to go through actual Earth to see a tower, you will not get much of a signal.

The terk TV55 would probably be most asthetically pleasing to your mom for an outside mount, but it is kind of a crap shoot if it would help. I had one and gave up on it. I would spend the $100 elsewhere.

I have not even gotten a sniff of the Sioux City digital signals with my antennas from Sioux Falls so maybe someone else can help you with whether or not it is feasible to think we can get them. I get analog 4,9,14, & 44. 14 comes in very good and 4 being the worse
post #325 of 1416 Old 01-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Still no OTA picture on FOX HD - I get carrier info and signal strength of 80%. Wonder was is going on?
post #326 of 1416 Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 PM

Well, thanks for those tips, my main focus was to see if i could pick up FoxHD for SB, but it doesn't look like KTTW will pump out more than 22 watts between now and then. I am going to hold off on moving any antenna for now until the olympics start, then i will do more hunting. I never watch NBC for anything(and WB), unless the NHL season starts up and the playoff games are on it. One more thing, and I dont know if this is the place to post it; does anyone get program information from the HD signals they get? My TV has a built-in guide, but I have only seen it once where it said anything other than "no information." I usually use my dish guide to see what is going to be on. Wondering if its my tv, or if none of the stations broadcast this. Thanks again~ColAvsFan

post #327 of 1416 Old 01-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

KTTWHD was up tonight OTA,
post #328 of 1416 Old 01-28-2005, 10:00 PM

Sent an email to SDPTV about DTV ch. 24 remapped to 2-x instead of 23-x. Their reply:

The PSIP inserter, the ID information you are looking at, originates at the studio in Vermillion. It is added to the data stream and is sent North on the microwave with the 2-x designation for our Beresford transmitter. The ID signal carrying the 2-x designation, continues on the microwave path to the rest of the stations. That is why you also see it in Sioux Falls.

In the near future, we will add an additional piece of equipment called a "StreamBridge" at Sioux Falls, and the rest of our transmitter sites. Once installed, the StreamBridge will supply the correct channel identification for the Sioux Falls site and other sites that are StreamBridge-less at this time.

Be looking for the PSIP change in the near future.

Thank you for your interest in South Dakota Public Broadcasting!

Dale Baity
BIT/SDPB

post #329 of 1416 Old 01-29-2005, 10:05 PM

Sent an email to KTTW and got this small reply, I dont know what it means for those of us >20 miles from SF. I should try to see if midco will come to Larchwood w/ their digital cable.

Unfortunately, we broadcast HDTV signal only in Sioux Falls, and DTV in
Huron, SD. So far, I don't know when/if we will have full power transmitters.
We also have our HDTV signal on Midcontinent Cable and Prairie Wave
Cable systems.
Regards,
Tigran Grant,
CE, KTTW

Edit - So I moved my antenna to the lowest, most middlest spot in the house, and with at least a 20% signal strength, I can now pick up all SF DTV signals except for Fox. Still hoping for a HD SB.~ColAvsFan

post #330 of 1416 Old 01-30-2005, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Good luck picking up KTTW in Sioux Falls. I use to be able to pick up the digital signal and I live on the southeast side of Sioux Falls. The tower, I believe is on the southwest side of town, probably no more than 10 miles from me. Since they started broadcasting HD, I can not pick up their signal.

I love their response, you can get it on cable. How about giving us a waiver, so I can pick up HD on DirecTV?

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page