Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 1416 Old 06-30-2005, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard a rumor today that KDLT was showing HD last night - was anyone watching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1416 Old 06-30-2005, 12:36 PM

KDLT was in HD last night. I happen to have the TV on 46, looked up during Leno and it was FULL SCREEN! Looks like KDLT is ahead of schedule for converting to HD. Now if I could just get KTTW in HD. Does anyone get KTTW over 8 miles away east of Sioux Falls?
post #423 of 1416 Old 06-30-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighdtvfan View Post

KDLT was in HD last night. I happen to have the TV on 46, looked up during Leno and it was FULL SCREEN! Looks like KDLT is ahead of schedule for converting to HD. Now if I could just get KTTW in HD. Does anyone get KTTW over 8 miles away east of Sioux Falls?

Good luck. It's been awhile since I looked, but I couldn't even get KTTW 3 miles away from the tower!
post #424 of 1416 Old 07-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Watched Jay Leno in HD, looked great!!! As for KTTW, we will have to wait until they get full power to watch it anywheres without a direct line if sight w/ the tower. I know some poeple at 8 miles who can get it in, but they are to the SW of the tower and most of the area btwn the tower and them is country.~ColAvsFan

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #425 of 1416 Old 07-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Yes -- KDLT in HD with NASCAR tonight -- Looked pretty good. Didn't realize it was on for Leno. Have to start recording so I can archive some of his musical guests.

As for KTTW -- I have picked it up with Amplified Rabbit ears last winter, but with all the leaves on the trees have had trouble. Am using a Menards Zenith antenna on top of my home presently (their biggest one). I live about a mile SE of the Walmart on east 10th on a hill so am kind of NE of tower. Usually getting about 65-70% strength with a three way splitter and shooting through trees.
post #426 of 1416 Old 07-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Conan O'Brien is also HD late night on NBC. Looks great.
post #427 of 1416 Old 07-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

I emailed KDLT and inquired on the coverage area of the HD signal. Here is the reply.

Hello,

Presently our HD range is within a radius of 25 miles of Sioux Falls. On or before July18th, the HD signal range will increase to 70 miles of Sioux Falls. We're in the process of installing our new full power digital transmitter and antenna, which is scheduled to be on the air by July 18th or sooner. Thanks for your inquiry!!!

Regards:

Gary Bolton
General Manager
post #428 of 1416 Old 07-07-2005, 01:07 PM

Great news! Anyone heard when KTTW will up their power? Does anyone have a contact for KTTW?
post #429 of 1416 Old 07-07-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighdtvfan View Post

Great news! Anyone heard when KTTW will up their power? Does anyone have a contact for KTTW?

Yes I do. Here is what there General Manager says ...

Hello,

Presently our HD range is within a radius of 2.5 miles of Sioux Falls. On or before December 18th, the HD signal range will increase to 7 miles of Sioux Falls. We're in the process of installing our new half power analog transmitter and antenna, which is scheduled to be on the air by December 18th or sooner. We hope to give you the final NFL game of the season over the air in HDTV. Thanks for your inquiry!!!

Regards:

Michael Bolton
General Maintenance
post #430 of 1416 Old 07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post

Hello,

Presently our HD range is within a radius of 2.5 miles of Sioux Falls. On or before December 18th, the HD signal range will increase to 7 miles of Sioux Falls. We're in the process of installing our new half power analog transmitter and antenna, which is scheduled to be on the air by December 18th or sooner. We hope to give you the final NFL game of the season over the air in HDTV. Thanks for your inquiry!!!

Regards:

Michael Bolton
General Maintenance

You had me except for the Michael Bolton and the icon
post #431 of 1416 Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

For everyone who watchs NFL football, not being able to get FOX HD this fall will suck as will not seeing Sunday Night Footall in HD on NBC. Maybe this is a solution you can try. Also for those unable to receive any of the other locals in HD.

My understanding is that the FCC has changed its policy about network waivers from the past. If you read some of the posts in the HD forum, you can now get waivers to receive HD national networks if you are unable to receive a HD signal from a local network.

If you do a search in the HD Programming forum for "DNS" you will get threads discussing this. (Lots of reading) Sounds like you can send a waiver request to D* and if the station does not respond or do a signal test in 30 days, they will turn on the national HD feeds. Probably not that simple, but worth a try.

Fox National Feed probably won't be the Vikes or Pack, is the only down side.

I was going to try to do this to get SuperBowl last year, but the KTTW GM assured me they were going to have HD by then, which they did.
post #432 of 1416 Old 07-08-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post

Hello,

Regards:

Michael Bolton
General Maintenance

It seems as if they are already brodcasting at half power on analog. I just hope they will further increase the HD range to a higher power by July 2006 from the 7 miles~ColAvsFan

Quick edit for BVFan...what do you mean in your post by not seeing sunday night football in HD from NBC? NBC doesnt have rights to NFL until 2006 season. And KDLT is passing HD from NBC right now. Plus it appears that soon they will be at full power.

post #433 of 1416 Old 07-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

It seems as if they are already brodcasting at half power on analog. I just hope they will further increase the HD range to a higher power by July 2006 from the 7 miles~ColAvsFan

Quick edit for BVFan...what do you mean in your post by not seeing sunday night football in HD from NBC? NBC doesnt have rights to NFL until 2006 season. And KDLT is passing HD from NBC right now. Plus it appears that soon they will be at full power.

Sorry, jumping ahead of myself on the NBC Football thing. The idea of my thread was some people will not be getting HD locals as they may be out of range and their option (if they already have DirecTV) is to try waivers. Cost nothing but your time to try.
post #434 of 1416 Old 07-11-2005, 05:22 AM

I got the waiver from KTTW about a year ago so I get the Fox feed from NY. I also subscribe to Sunday Ticket and got the Vikings in HD over DTV. Apparently, the waiver allows me to view the local games via Sunday Ticket. Hopefully it will be the same this year.
post #435 of 1416 Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM

Anyway getting a better signal of KDLT? I was anticipating the increased signal strength on the 18th, but that seems to have come and gone. Mine seems to be weaker at the moment than it was the past few days. Before I was able to at least get a picture via my Samsung 360, now it is just searching for signal.
post #436 of 1416 Old 07-19-2005, 07:29 PM

Yeah, I got fired up about the increased signal strength "before the 18th" and was disappointed. Then I re-read the post about their upgrade, and KDLT said they would have it upgraded before DECEMBER 18th.

Guess I better hurry up and wait.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #437 of 1416 Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 PM

I think that the December 18th date was with kttw and that the response copied from KDLT's GM was July 18th. Time will tell, otherwise time to finally get that pre-amp and see if that will help the signal out any.

Is KSFY down for you too?

Ben
post #438 of 1416 Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 PM

Ben -

Can't get KSFY tonight, but had a perfect picture last night. I just searched for the alleged KDLT HD signal, but there's nothing I can pick up in Sioux City. Guess the folks doing the transmitter upgrade got behind a bit - must be the heat.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #439 of 1416 Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 PM

In response to KDLT - I drove right by the tower on the 18th (it can be arranged so that it is on my way to work) and saw no one or any vehicles there around midday so I dont know if that means anything or not. I think this Gary at KDLT is someone who does business with my company quite frequently, but I havn't seen him since I saw the thread on here to ask him. I will flag him down next chance I get which I know wont be tommorow, Thurs. the 21st but maybe the 22nd or the 23rd. ~ColAvsFan

post #440 of 1416 Old 07-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

My signal strength for KDLT is still only around 80%. I would anticipate is will be 100% once they are at full strength. I have emailed them this morning so will post when we receive a reply.

I tried KSFY this morning and no signal. I am also getting no signal from KTTW, but that may be my tree blockage problem.

Also at only about 50% with WB on 50.1

Both KELO and PBS are at 100%
post #441 of 1416 Old 07-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Next week now

Looks like they won't be on Midco HD tier until this fall

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry about KDLT's HD signal.

We're already sending out a "low power" digital signal, which reaches a 20 mile radius of Sioux Falls on channel 46.1. We expect to be sending a "full power" digital signal out sometime next week. The full power signal will reach a 65-70 mile radius of Sioux Falls. We just spent $2.2 million to go full power digital. You will be able to enjoy all of NBC's HD programming now.

I am in the process of negotiating carriage of KDLT's digital signal with the cable companies that offer "digital tier" channels to their subscribers. KDLT should be carried by the cable companies who offer the digital tier carriage by September 2005.

Again, thanks for your inquiry.

Regards:

Gary Bolton
General Manager
post #442 of 1416 Old 07-22-2005, 04:01 PM

Sweet,

Thanks for the info.
Ben
post #443 of 1416 Old 07-22-2005, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

Next week now

Looks like they won't be on Midco HD tier until this fall

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry about KDLT's HD signal.

We're already sending out a "low power" digital signal, which reaches a 20 mile radius of Sioux Falls on channel 46.1. We expect to be sending a "full power" digital signal out sometime next week. The full power signal will reach a 65-70 mile radius of Sioux Falls. We just spent $2.2 million to go full power digital. You will be able to enjoy all of NBC's HD programming now.

I am in the process of negotiating carriage of KDLT's digital signal with the cable companies that offer "digital tier" channels to their subscribers. KDLT should be carried by the cable companies who offer the digital tier carriage by September 2005.

Again, thanks for your inquiry.

Regards:

Gary Bolton
General Manager

Hey BVfan, did he say anything to you about a transmittor being bad? The way Gary was talking to me at work today, he sounded like it might be a while before they get to "full power." They are working on getting the one good transmittor up this weekend (cross your fingers) or by early next week and that should reach about 45 miles out. And they way he made it sound like it might be a little while (1-2 months) before they can go 65-70 miles when they get the other transmittor in. Maybe I was just confused the way he was talking to me. He sounded quite pissed though about having to spend 2.2 mil on something that didn't work quite right. ~ColAvsFan

post #444 of 1416 Old 07-24-2005, 01:42 PM

Hello all, first time poster here to the forum. I've been reading extensively on the various issues associated with pickup of signals in the Sioux City and Sioux Falls area.

As a resident of Sioux City, I've been salivating at the possibility of picking up three different PBS stations in our area from IA, NE, and SD. I was also curious about the luck others have had picking up Omaha broadcasts in addition to Sioux Falls.

I also have a pending question into the IPTV folks about KSIN-DT. I realize that SD subchannels can be utilized when no HD content is being broadcast. I'm trying to find out if any of the current subchannels will be simulcasting the analogue programming on digital. I'm also inquiring with NET and SDPB about similar setups.

Has anybody heard what is going to be done during the Analogue/Digital transition phase that will prolly last until 2009 in this area if DTV penetration stays at its current progression?

I'm tinkering with a pcHDTV card to pick up these signals now. If anybody has a recommendation of a decent set top box for an analogue telly I'd love to hear it as well.

Sorry for the long post, but alot of this stuff has been nagging at me for some time.

cheers,

-mhs
post #445 of 1416 Old 07-24-2005, 01:58 PM

From Sioux City I have picked up 3 channels from Nebraska Public TV - for one day. I think they were running tests. Each channel had different programming - as I recall there were two different episodes of Charlie Rose and something else.

Of course, the signal from Vermillion SD is pretty strong: 2.1 is PBS digital and 2.2 is their "regular" analog signal re-broadcast in digital. IPTV is on 27.1 with mostly the same PBS digital.

I can receive the HD signals from the Sioux Falls CBS and ABC, and I expect to be able to receive the NBC feed very soon -- as soon as KDLT ups their signal strength.

Locally in Sioux City, KTIV, KCAU and KMEG all put out signals powered by a Duracell battery, and only KTIV is in HD. KTIV is negotiating with CableOne to put their HD signal on the wire, but nothing is certain there.

The unfortunate truth is that we're on the bleeding edge of the HD revolution, and in a smaller market we should be happy (thrilled, even!) to get a test pattern.

post #446 of 1416 Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 AM

KSFY seems to have been off the air for a few days now on their digital side - has anyone heard what's up there?

Edit - nevermind; got this from a friend just now:

"they blew the main tube in the transmitter, the part arrived this am, the guy to fix it arrives @ 2pm on a plane, they are hoping to be back on the air tonight."
post #447 of 1416 Old 07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renstyle View Post

I'm tinkering with a pcHDTV card to pick up these signals now. If anybody has a recommendation of a decent set top box for an analogue telly I'd love to hear it as well.
-mhs

Can't you also use your pcHDTV to hook up to the analog TV as it has composite/sound out?

If you want cheap, maybe try to find a VOOM box that has not been deactivated, as they still recieve OTA signal. Only ones on Ebay right now are all from the same guy and the bids are $10 so beware. Search "VOOM Box" in the AVS forum to find out more particulars about VOOM boxes. Not sure what the boxes have for outputs.

There may also be some DirectTV HDTV boxes for sale cheap when some of markets switch to the new MPEG4 format.

Otherwise plan on spending at least $200 -- this forum tells you everything you need to know ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095
post #448 of 1416 Old 07-31-2005, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Still no increase in power from KDLT-HD. Signal strength still at 75% as of yesterday
post #449 of 1416 Old 07-31-2005, 08:31 PM

I don't think that KDLT at 75% in the Sioux Falls metro area will do me any good in Sioux City. I get KELO-HD with a 95% signal strength, and KSFY with about 67%. That's 75 miles from the transmitter.

I hope they get the watts pumping out of the KDLT transmitter soon.

post #450 of 1416 Old 07-31-2005, 09:51 PM

RE: KDLT-DT
I spoke w/ Gary today (Sunday, 31st). He has been absolutely pissed at the new transmittor. Some part of the one that was supposedly was good, had a leak in it. So he said 2 more weeks to get that in. And pry not too long after that they will get the second transmittor up and going to be full power. He said the original plans were to be up at 75 miles by now. He also told me he will let me know when they are up on power, but I will pry find out on my own before he ever tells me. ~ ColAvsFan

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page