Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 1416 Old 12-22-2005, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have exchanged emails with the very nice engineer at KDLT about this issue a couple of weeks ago. The problem is that when they go from local standard-definition content to HD network content, they have to have a person flip the switch -- it's not automatic. My guess is that the latenight and weekend staff level is very low, and the onsite engineer has many things to do -- the HD switch gets forgotten in the shuffle. From what he told me, it probably will not become automatic any time in the forseeable future.

Other than that, you've got to love their excellent signal strenght and the Dolby Digital audio output. Here in Sioux City at 75 miles from the tower, I get a superior signal all the time -- can't say that for the local NBC tower a few miles from my home!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1416 Old 12-25-2005, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

Here in Sioux City at 75 miles from the tower, I get a superior signal all the time -- can't say that for the local NBC tower a few miles from my home!

I recently talked with Dave Madsen, Station Manager for KTIV and Chief Engineer, Richard Herr. They said that KTIV is only broadcasting at low power right now, with their antenna at only about 750 feet on our tower. In April or May, they will be upgrading to full power and moving the antenna to the top of our 2000 foot tower. I am also hoping that they will start broadcasting Dolby 5.1 at the same time. Both Dave and Richard are very interested in knowing if anyone is having problems receiving their signal so that they can try to get any issues resolved.

Now, if only SOMEONE ofter at KPTH would start to give a crap about their customers... So far, I have sent about 6 emails over the last two years with questions about their signal, and have not received ANY kind of reply from them, which is VERY bad business IMO. So if anyone is doing advertising, I would suggest avoiding, and even pulling your advertising from KPTH untill they realize that they have a duty to address their customers, rather then choosing to totally ignore their them.

--

Anthony
post #513 of 1416 Old 12-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendu View Post

As to KELO, I got email back from them indicating that they're still planning to upgrade both the weather crawler and audio subsystems, but it's apparently pretty expensive stuff, so no ETA right now. ...

I would just be happy if KELO would do a weather bug like KSFY or a quick flash to turn to the analog station for weather details. The other day KELO had the "Closeline" on all the time for 1 school announcement. Except it is never on during advertising, obviously. I have emailed KELO and stated I have plenty of HD choices and do not watch their programming if it is not in HD as scheduled. The other three majors have good offerings I can watch and I can DVR KELO so I can at least skip commericals and NEWSBREAKS.

If you are wondering "IF I don't watch KELO", how I know what they are doing. I will usually monitor KELO during weather related times to see if they have changed what they are doing. So far they are too extreme on the weather stuff, but I think we all knew this.
post #514 of 1416 Old 12-27-2005, 08:11 PM

Hey Anthony, any news on KMEG or KCAU doing anything on those towers. I can't get 9-1 at all just north of the mall. Too many hills by Ravine Park, but, I got a great look to the towers. Too bad Kmeg streches everything too, any news if they might be putting out a 4:3 signal instead of that pre-stretched nonsence.
post #515 of 1416 Old 12-28-2005, 06:12 AM

I have also talked to Dave Madsen at KTIV, and one of the reasons for taking so long for their digital antenna to be raised and their power increased is that they are doing it in conjunction with KCAU and KMEG. One would hope that those other stations would also increase power levels, but so far they have given no indication of transitioning to HD. The federal law does not require HD broadcasting, only Digital. My guess is that those stations will delay the expense of HD broadcasting for as long as possible - probably years. So for most of us, HD network programming will come from Sioux Falls - or maybe from satellite some day if the laws change.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #516 of 1416 Old 12-28-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehockey View Post

Hey Anthony, any news on KMEG or KCAU doing anything on those towers. I can't get 9-1 at all just north of the mall. Too many hills by Ravine Park, but, I got a great look to the towers. Too bad Kmeg streches everything too, any news if they might be putting out a 4:3 signal instead of that pre-stretched nonsence.

I do know that KCAU currently has their tower on top of the Terra Center, so if you have your antenna pointed so you can get KTIV, KPTH and KMEG, you won't be able to get much, if any of a signal from KCAU since the towers are in totally different directions. I actually mounted my outdoor antenna on a long pole which I can turn it towards downtown so I can get KCAU DT for football or other special programming, and then turn it back to the north east for the rest.

I don't know anything about KMEG, but since they were bought by pappus (Spelling ?) which owns KPTH, I doubt we will ever get any sort of reply from them as they have chosen to totally ignore all of my emails (and I hear other's as well). Hopefully, since KMEG and KPTH are owned by the same company, and KMEG will be part of the KTIV tower project, KPTH will end up getting a better signal, and hopefully go HD as finally being able to watch 24 in HD would rock!

I wonder how much of a cost difference there is between digital equipment and HD equipment? I can't believe there is going to be that much of a cost difference, and when you figure that you will have a bunch of upset customers that will force you to upgrade to HD some time down the road, why not just save the cost of putting up digital stuff now, and then having to buy and install HD stuff a short time down the road. I might drop Dave an email to see what kind of price difference there is between digital equipment and HD equipment.

--

Anthony
post #517 of 1416 Old 12-29-2005, 05:27 AM

Digital vs HD:

All stations are required to broadcast in digital, and all are now doing so (as far as I know.) There must be another cost hurdle for the stations who choose to broadcast in HD.

This reminds me of when the local stations went "color." At first, some network programs were broadcast in 'living color' and then one of the local stations (KCAU was the big-bucks market leader then -- the same way KTIV is now) started broadcasting their local news in color. Many months later, KTIV tried to play catch-up by doing their news with ONE color camera - very odd. It took a while for the cost and size of the equipment to come down, and for local color to become universal. That's where we are now with HD.

post #518 of 1416 Old 01-03-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

Digital vs HD:

All stations are required to broadcast in digital, and all are now doing so (as far as I know.) There must be another cost hurdle for the stations who choose to broadcast in HD.

This reminds me of when the local stations went "color." At first, some network programs were broadcast in 'living color' and then one of the local stations (KCAU was the big-bucks market leader then -- the same way KTIV is now) started broadcasting their local news in color. Many months later, KTIV tried to play catch-up by doing their news with ONE color camera - very odd. It took a while for the cost and size of the equipment to come down, and for local color to become universal. That's where we are now with HD.

I think FOX provided some HD equipment (I think it's called a slicer) along with installation to all of their affiliates including KPTH, so obviously that cost is covered. There must be more hardware required. I hope they do look far enough down the road and go HD when they do the tower/power upgrade.
post #519 of 1416 Old 01-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Fox provided a Terayon Bit Splicer. (Good guess tho).

It allows for Fox to provide a consistant quality picture during the spurts of high demand video.

The main cost for a station (which can be significant dollars) is an HD encoder but depending on how they want to handle all of their programming it may include an upconverter for local programming, Dolby decoders/encoders to add 5.1 audio and possibly a new switcher. Many of the stations put off jumping to HD when the FCC required they add OTA Guides/dynamic PSIP. You might see more try it this year as they get new budget money. Then there is the issue of cable/sat feeds. They stations do not want to give away an HD signal so that cable/sat can charge extra on an HD tier.

There are many issues in going to HD.
post #520 of 1416 Old 01-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Just got an EDTV Plasma with a ATSC or High Def Tuner along with analog, although I can only get PBS1 & 2 (27.1, 27.2). I can sort of pick up 4.1 with an amplified tuner in just the right spot. This tv is in a basement so that may affect reception. I bought an antenna from Menards, a big philips antenna that takes up half my attic space, but that did help any, because now I can get channel 9.1 almost clear and 4.1 is gone. I still have the PBS Stations. What I rip, I guess in my neighborhood, we are not ready for the HD movement. I live by Kmart off of Gordon Dr a block. I pointed the antenna North, because thats the only way it fits in my attic. Menards had a HD antenna for the same price, but it was small, I thought bigger would be better, maybe not? I am getting cableone regular Friday, not digital. They said they carry 4 HD channels right now, ESPN, HBO, PBS, & something else. Nothing I am interested in. I was wonder though if I split the signal into the tv, one to the analog, one into the HD, will I pick up these stations? I asked a couple different ladies when I called down there but they don't seem to know what the heck I am talking about when I start asking if I can hook the cable both up to the HD and reg antenna input to get the channels. One lady told me to get their Tivo machine and HD Box, but thats waste since their seems to not be hardly and HD Programming. Any comments on cableone or where to get a good antenna locally for where I live?
post #521 of 1416 Old 01-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Sloppyjoee:

To get broadcast HD in our area, you need a large UHF antenna. The only Sioux City HD broadcasts are KTIV (with an extremely weak signal) and IPTV. To get any other HD programming, you need to have a large antenna with a good amplifier, and the antenna must be VERY carefully aimed at Sioux Falls. The Sioux Falls stations broadcast strong signals for NBC, CBS and ABC. If the antenna is aimed off a degree or two, you might not get any signal at all - with digital it's either perfect or non-existent.

post #522 of 1416 Old 01-04-2006, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Sloppyjoee,
I agree with rmullin antenna pointing is key. A big UHF antenna does not mean a physically large antenna. All HD signals are in the UHF band so you don't need a UHF / VHF antenna to receive the HD signals. Your area of the city may have have trouble receiving the Sioux Falls stations. If there is a big hill between you and the Sioux Falls transmitters then you could have problems. If you want to investigate the antenna you need you might go to antennaweb.org and it will tell you the direction the transmitters are from your address. They also recommend antennas. I use a ChannelMaster 4228 and I receive the Sioux Falls stations well but I am on the other side of the city.

Bill
post #523 of 1416 Old 01-04-2006, 10:31 PM

Can anyone else get a lock on channel 15 (20.1)? According to The FCC website, as of Dec. 20th KSMN-DT has gone to full power 200 kW ERP (up from 50kW on a STA) as compared to 2400kW ERP for their analog channel 20. I am having trouble getting a solid lock even though analog comes in crystal clear. FYI, their broadcasting tower is just east of Edgerton MN.~ColAvsFan

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #524 of 1416 Old 01-08-2006, 05:59 PM

sloppyjoee,

If you are getting 9.1 then you have your antenna pointed towards downtown, where KCAU currently has their antenna (on top of the Terra center). To get KTIV, KPTH, KMEG, and the 3 Sioux Falls stations, you need to have it pointed North, North East towards Hinton. This will mean that you will probably not get KCAU any more as the antennas are uni-directional. Also, "front" on your antenna is most likely NOT the area at the tip of the "arrow", if it is like mine (and most others), front is really the open end of the arrow V. You also need to really play with it, as like rmullin said, moving it an inch or two can make a huge difference, which is why I currently have mine mounted on a tall pole outside my house where I have the ability to actually turn it to "tune in" the reception so that I can get all of the stations with a little effort.

As far as cableone goes, I'm a bit biased because when I signed up for the Digital bundle, I was told that I would always get the digital package with their fastest internet. When they went to 5 meg, they did not upgrade the package, nor did they lower the price, which means that the price really went up by $20 a month.

But anyway... The non-digital channels looked so bad on my HD set that they were nearly unwatchable. The Digital channels looked good, but there is only like 20 of them. Their HD selection is poor, and they charge the price as Dish Network does and you get 3 or 4 more channels then you do with Cableone. So, between the poor image quality, limited HD channels, and the fact they were real jerks over the digital bundle thing, I switched to Dish Network for video. I kept the 3meg internet through cableone, went with the Dish Network 180 package, got HBO, added MAX, added HD and another receiver (3 total) and I am only paying about $10 more per month then I would have through cableone without MAX and only 2 receivers. With Dish I am getting all digital channels, 3 or 4 more HD channels, 5 channels of MAX, 3 more channels of HBO, and the additional receiver, which IMO is well worth the ten bucks. Cableone is a hugly better value then AT&T or Comcast though .

--

Anthony
post #525 of 1416 Old 01-08-2006, 06:04 PM

I have a few questions for you guys in, or close to Sioux City..

Is anyone able to get KTTW, the fox station out of Sioux Falls? I can get the other 3 stations, but can't seem to get KTTW, which sucks as I was hoping to get a better picture then KPTH offers for when 24 starts up next week.

Also, for those living in Wynstone, I see that they have a no antenna statment in the by-laws. Considering this is the only way to get the local and Sioux falls digital channels, and if you want to get 9.1 you need to be able to move your antenna, I was wondering if this was something that they were enforcing. I was also wondering how HD / DT reception was overall from the Wynstone area as I am looking a building there.

Thanks,

--

Anthony
post #526 of 1416 Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyi View Post

Is anyone able to get KTTW, the fox station out of Sioux Falls? I can get the other 3 stations, but can't seem to get KTTW, which sucks as I was hoping to get a better picture then KPTH offers for when 24 starts up next week.

Thanks,

Anthonyi,

I live in Morningside (in a little valley) and I can't get anything from SF besides KELO (always) & KSFY (sometimes). I get great reception from Omaha KETV & WOWT though.
post #527 of 1416 Old 01-09-2006, 01:48 PM

Possible good news for Siouxland HD folks - I heard today from a semi-reliable source that KMEG (CBS) and KPTH (FOX) may go HD when they move their antennas and increase power in the Spring. I have yet to confirm this with anyone at either station. Keep in mind this source is not 100%. If anyone else has any info, please post it.

Mark

Edit - Still no confirmation direct from the station, but the source says they received the info from an engineer with KPTH. Sounds quite promising.
post #528 of 1416 Old 01-10-2006, 10:28 PM

Thats good to hear hiltsy855. I keep looking foward to the day I can get FOX in HD

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #529 of 1416 Old 01-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyi View Post

Thanks,

Not from SC, but KTTW is at ultra-low power and I have not heard when they will be increasing. People in Sioux Falls have an extremely hard time getting this signal also. I have the biggest UHF antenna I could find in sioux falls pointed straight at their tower. I am getting about 70% signal most of the time. I live about 8 miles NE of the KTTW tower. If signal changes I will post.
post #530 of 1416 Old 01-11-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

Thats good to hear hiltsy855. I keep looking foward to the day I can get FOX in HD

I agree 100%!!!

--

Anthony
post #531 of 1416 Old 01-11-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

Exactly. FOX is the kicker for me. I can get the other networks in HD OTA but the SF FOX is low power & the Omaha FOX has their tower between Omaha & Lincoln so it's a no-go. I have seen FOX HD though and it looks very good.

To me it makes sense that both KPTH & KMEG go HD at the same time since they are both owned by Pappas. If they are going to do this though, I doubt it will be before NASCAR starts in February. Maybe if the weather holds because they have tower work to do? I'm hoping they'll do it before the NCAA tourney on CBS. That would be an excellent rollout, eh?

There I go getting all stoked about a rumor....
post #532 of 1416 Old 01-12-2006, 05:25 PM

I'm new to this, so bear with me, please. I live in Morningside, have a medium sized indoor antenna and am looking for placement of towers for Sioux City, Sioux Falls and Omaha. I'm looking to upgrade, already, to a larger, outdoor antenna, but for now am willing to move my antenna in circles to get the best reception from the station that I would like to watch at that time, be it from Sioux City, Sioux Falls or Omaha. I have scoured the internet looking for tower placement and cannot find anything. Luckily I do know where they are in Sioux City, but I would like to know for North and South. Thanks to all for helping in advance.

Chris
post #533 of 1416 Old 01-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Chris:

Go to www.antennaweb.org and chose "select an antenna." You can then input your street address and get a listing and a nice mini-map of the tower locations from your home.

You will probably need a large UHF antenna with a good signal amplifier. Channelmaster has some goodies.

post #534 of 1416 Old 01-13-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1479 View Post

I'm new to this, so bear with me, please. I live in Morningside, have a medium sized indoor antenna and am looking for placement of towers for Sioux City, Sioux Falls and Omaha. I'm looking to upgrade, already, to a larger, outdoor antenna, but for now am willing to move my antenna in circles to get the best reception from the station that I would like to watch at that time, be it from Sioux City, Sioux Falls or Omaha. I have scoured the internet looking for tower placement and cannot find anything. Luckily I do know where they are in Sioux City, but I would like to know for North and South. Thanks to all for helping in advance.

Chris

Chris,

The Sioux Falls towers are just south and east of SF. From SC point the antenna north with a slight nudge to the west.

The Omaha towers are in the north side of Omaha. From SC point the antenna south and then maybe 5-10 degrees to the east.

The best way I've found to get tower locations is to go

here and select the station you're looking for. That sends you to the FCC site for the tower location info. Then take the latitude / longitude and plug it into something like Streets & Trips to get the geographic location. PITA I know but it works.

rmullin is correct, you will need a ChannelMaster 4228 antenna and a 7775 or 7777 amplifier. Go see Michael at Pflanz Electronics - he will set you up (make sure you talk to Michael). If you have a clear path north & south you will get reception. Hopefully you live at a higher point in M'Side - that will help some. I live down in a valley but I still get good signal most of the time.

Mark
post #535 of 1416 Old 01-13-2006, 11:13 AM

Pflanz is good (bought my Sony there), but I purchased my ChannelMaster 4228 at Wintronic, 1110 Dace, Sioux City. They also carry signal amplifiers - go for the best amp you can afford (maximum signal db with minimum noise). When pointing the antenna, I find that tweaking the aim for KSFY gives the best overall signal on most channels. Remember, even moving the antenna by a degree or two can dramatically change the digital signal you receive.

post #536 of 1416 Old 01-13-2006, 03:45 PM

Thanks to all for the great advice and help with this. The world of HD, how cool!!! Thanks again. Cheers!

Chris
post #537 of 1416 Old 01-13-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltsy855 View Post

The best way I've found to get tower locations is to go

here and select the station you're looking for. That sends you to the FCC site for the tower location info. Then take the latitude / longitude and plug it into something like Streets & Trips to get the geographic location. PITA I know but it works.

Actually, if you go here:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

... that'll send you right to the FCC's TV Query page.

Plug in a callsign and it will come up with several records for that station.

Click on one of the links and you'll get more details about the analog station, the digital station, and any Special Temporary Authorities the digital station has. Each one will have links under it for more information, including a link which will show a map with the station's transmitter location plotted on it.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #538 of 1416 Old 01-23-2006, 07:59 AM

To those of you in Sioux Falls... Where is the best place to buy off air antenna stuff? I'm specifically looking for a heavy duty 10' galvanized mast.

Thanks, Chan
post #539 of 1416 Old 01-25-2006, 05:41 PM

Wonder whats going to happed to The WB (KWSD) and UPN (UTV) now that they are going to merge to The CW. Who do you think will carry the network?
post #540 of 1416 Old 01-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper3000 View Post

Wonder whats going to happed to The WB (KWSD) and UPN (UTV) now that they are going to merge to The CW. Who do you think will carry the network?

I don't know but I hope they dump that crap sub-channel from KELO. It makes 11-1 look terrible with sports or anything with fast action.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page