Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1416 Old 01-25-2006, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelChan View Post

To those of you in Sioux Falls... Where is the best place to buy off air antenna stuff? I'm specifically looking for a heavy duty 10' galvanized mast.

Thanks, Chan

For heavy-duty I use 1-5/8" fence post, commonly called a "line post" at Home Depot or Menards, I think they carry 16-18 guage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1416 Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltsy855 View Post

I don't know but I hope they dump that crap sub-channel from KELO. It makes 11-1 look terrible with sports or anything with fast action.

I did hear that most WB stations will be the ones to pick up the new channel and that the UPN channels will close down. But we will see once fall gets here. Until then, enjoy 11.2 . On a side note, if the UTV substation does close down, I do think they will put KELOLAND Weather Now in its space, but I dont think it would need as much bandwidth.

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #543 of 1416 Old 02-02-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

On a side note, if the UTV substation does close down, I do think they will put KELOLAND Weather Now in its space, but I dont think it would need as much bandwidth.

I think you are correct. KETV ABC out of Omaha has a weather channel and it doesn't effect PQ one bit. I know they are 720p and that helps but also the engineer there knows what he's doing and he has their system configured so that the primary channel gets all the BW it needs and the -2 gets whats left over (in lay terms anyway).
post #544 of 1416 Old 02-11-2006, 11:05 AM

I called CableOne yesterday to whine about the rate increases and the lack of HD programming, and they told me that they will be carrying 3 local HD signals some time this summer. She said that they had concluded agreements with KCAU (ABC) and KMEG (CBS) and were all but concluded with KTIV (NBC) to carry all three locals in HD. She said she had no idea about KPTH (FOX), but since they're owned by the same folks as KMEG you would think that they would be going HD as well.

I emailed the engineer at KCAU and he confirmed to me that they would be broadcasting a full-power HD signal this summer. I guess that when KTIV/KCAU/KMEG do their tower work this summer, all will be broadcasting a strong HD signal.

Till then, there's Sioux Falls!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #545 of 1416 Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

It appears that all the dropouts we are seeing on the NBC Olympics HD feed are because of the bad weather in NYC tonight (blizzard conditions). It was frustrating as the SD signal is OK. I have noticed that late evening always seems worse for this and thought is was a local problem. Now you have to wonder if it hasn't been mostly a national feed problem. I can handle a minute or two of dropouts, but explain that to the wife who wonders why I have spent thousands of $$$ on this and she can go watch the bedroom TV and it is "just fine"
post #546 of 1416 Old 02-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelChan View Post

To those of you in Sioux Falls... Where is the best place to buy off air antenna stuff? I'm specifically looking for a heavy duty 10' galvanized mast.

Thanks, Chan

Make sure you stabilize antenna with three guy wires if you go that high. It keeps the antenna stable. I have a set up with two 4 foot mast coupled together and guy-wired down. It is very stable in high winds. Most places that sell the antennas also sell guy wire hook ups for the mast and wire and turnbuckles to get it tight.
post #547 of 1416 Old 02-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone noticed a drop in signal from KDLT since last night?

I had to point my roof top antenna straight at the tower to get a signal today.

My HR10 D* receiver was only showing 20% signal until I repositioned the antenna.

Strange, because my other receivers showed no signal drop.

Really glad I got this quirky D* HD DVR that I will probably never see the $200 rebate for.

Now no FOX as it does need a good roof top antenna pointed that way to get it!!
post #548 of 1416 Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

Anyone noticed a drop in signal from KDLT since last night?

Yeah, there were a bunch of dropouts over the weekend during the Olympic events. I'm not sure what's up with it; haven't checked the signal level today at all.
post #549 of 1416 Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendu View Post

Yeah, there were a bunch of dropouts over the weekend during the Olympic events. I'm not sure what's up with it; haven't checked the signal level today at all.

Thanks Mendu,

There were weather related national feed dropouts on Sat nite. Sunday morning is when I could not get a signal with my HR10-250 from KDLT. I think it was completely related to that unit as my other receivers were OK.

I haven't really warmed up to that equipment or figured out all the little nuances. For the little bit I have used it for D* HD channel timeshifting, I'm not sure I'll be keeping it.
post #550 of 1416 Old 02-20-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

I called CableOne yesterday to whine about the rate increases and the lack of HD programming, and they told me that they will be carrying 3 local HD signals some time this summer. She said that they had concluded agreements with KCAU (ABC) and KMEG (CBS) and were all but concluded with KTIV (NBC) to carry all three locals in HD. She said she had no idea about KPTH (FOX), but since they're owned by the same folks as KMEG you would think that they would be going HD as well.

I emailed the engineer at KCAU and he confirmed to me that they would be broadcasting a full-power HD signal this summer. I guess that when KTIV/KCAU/KMEG do their tower work this summer, all will be broadcasting a strong HD signal.

Till then, there's Sioux Falls!

So KCAU is going HD as well. I had heard KPTH and KMEG would be HD, but KCAU was a question mark. Awesome if they all jump in.

Mark
post #551 of 1416 Old 02-22-2006, 09:10 AM

Did anyone notice the ad on KDLT last night saying that they're adding a sub-channel on 3/13? Sounds like we'll have a 24/7 weather channel now. Hopefully it'll be low bitrate, as NBC has enough trouble with artifacting sports graphics already!
post #552 of 1416 Old 02-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did anyone notice the ad on KDLT last night saying that they're adding a sub-channel on 3/13? Sounds like we'll have a 24/7 weather channel now. Hopefully it'll be low bitrate, as NBC has enough trouble with artifacting sports graphics already!

Saw that to and thought oh great, but maybe it will be less of a drain that KELO's other channel. It appears some of the NBC problems stem from the use of KU band to the affiliates and other problems at the national level.

My biggest gripe with any of them is switching to SD whenever they need to put a trailer at the bottom or their affiliate notification at the top of the hour. ABC at least has the weather bug right .. I hope they keep it.
post #553 of 1416 Old 02-23-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:

This sucks.
post #554 of 1416 Old 02-23-2006, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post

This sucks.

The addition of the NBC weather channel should not make a noticible difference to the overall signal. Actually, it may even improve the HD feed.

Along with the weather feed comes stat-muxing which will allow the station to more effeciently use the bandwidth.

Technology fixes everything...eventually.
post #555 of 1416 Old 02-24-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTech View Post

The addition of the NBC weather channel should not make a noticible difference to the overall signal. Actually, it may even improve the HD feed.

Along with the weather feed comes stat-muxing which will allow the station to more effeciently use the bandwidth.

Technology fixes everything...eventually.

Well, not really. Stat muxing just takes the available bandwidth and tries to be smart about allocating it between competing streams.

Right now we're getting HD at ~18.5mbits/sec from KDLT; this will change to about a 15/3 split with WeatherPlus. When the sub-channel doesn't need its full 3mbits/sec, some of that will go back to the HD feed to temporarily give it a bit more than 15mbits/sec. The BEST you can hope for on the HD stream is that you'll get the same 18.5 mbits/sec we're getting now, but that's unlikely to happen as there will always be some bandwidth needed for the sub-channel.

Maybe they'll do better with their 1080i than KELO does, we'll have to see. But the HD will definitely be degraded somewhat from what it is today.

Now if you were to say that they're getting a new encoder as well, that would be more interesting. But a statistical mux plus a sub-channel isn't going to make any positive difference; it will only lessen the negative effect of adding a channel if we're lucky.
post #556 of 1416 Old 02-24-2006, 06:34 PM

I talked to two of the folks at KTIV (NBC) Sioux City today, and they told me that they would have their full-power HD signal going sometime in March. I asked if they were doing 'Weather Plus' like KDLT, and got a blank stare.

So for now, it looks like a good high-power full bandwidth NBC signal in Sioux City in a few weeks.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #557 of 1416 Old 02-24-2006, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Well, not really. Stat muxing just takes the available bandwidth and tries to be smart about allocating it between competing streams.

Right now we're getting HD at ~18.5mbits/sec from KDLT; this will change to about a 15/3 split with WeatherPlus. When the sub-channel doesn't need its full 3mbits/sec, some of that will go back to the HD feed to temporarily give it a bit more than 15mbits/sec. The BEST you can hope for on the HD stream is that you'll get the same 18.5 mbits/sec we're getting now, but that's unlikely to happen as there will always be some bandwidth needed for the sub-channel.

Maybe they'll do better with their 1080i than KELO does, we'll have to see. But the HD will definitely be degraded somewhat from what it is today.

Now if you were to say that they're getting a new encoder as well, that would be more interesting. But a statistical mux plus a sub-channel isn't going to make any positive difference; it will only lessen the negative effect of adding a channel if we're lucky.

You dont go down to a 15/3 split...you go to a 15 to 18/1.5 to 3 split. Big difference.

And its not "when the sub doesnt need a full 3...". The HD has priority so it would be more like "When the HD does not need the 18".

And the HD signal seldom used the full 18 anyway. When it does, the SD would degrade before the HD would.

Also, You do not need a new encoder...you need a new compression scheme..which stat muxing brings.

If you did a recording pre-stat muxing and compare it to after, you probably wont notice the dif.

Of course...this is under the assumption that they are using stat muxing. The NBC suggested package includes a stat multiplexer but they can go with a configuration that does not use it. So you may be right. it may be noticible. In which case....never mind.
post #558 of 1416 Old 02-28-2006, 11:18 AM

Hey everyone I am from Hudson SD. It's about 40 miles southeast of Sioux Falls and I was trying to find some info about OTA's and I stumbled onto this thread. I must say I am impressed with all of your knowledge of all things antenna. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on what I need to pick up these channels(prefferably HD but anything will do).

I went to AntennaWeb and this is my results:

Compass Miles Frequency
Orientation From Assignment

red-KDLT-DT 46.1 NBC SIOUX FALLS SD 352° 25.1 47
blue-KPTH 44 FOX SIOUX CITY IA 152° 41.5 44
"KUSD 2 PBS VERMILLION SD 238° 14.0 2
"KDLT 46 NBC SIOUX FALLS SD 352° 25.1 46
"KSFY 13 ABC SIOUX FALLS SD 355° 26.0 13
"KSFY-DT 13.1 ABC SIOUX FALLS SD 355° 26.0 29 " "KMEG 14 CBS SIOUX CITY IA 152° 41.5 14
"KELO 11 CBS SIOUX FALLS SD 355° 26.0 11
"KELO-DT 11.1 CBS SIOUX FALLS SD 355° 26.0 32
violet-KCAU 9 ABC SIOUX CITY IA 153° 41.3 9
" KSIN 27 PBS SIOUX CITY IA 159° 44.9 27
" KWSD 36 WB SIOUX FALLS SD 350° 25.2 36
" KTTW 17 FOX SIOUX FALLS SD 329° 26.5 17
" K33AB 33 PBS SIBLEY, ETC. IA 62° 47.1 33
" K25AA 25 PBS ROCK RAPIDS, ETC.IA 41° 23.5 25
" KSMN 20 PBS WORTHINGTON MN 24° 60.0 20
" KTIV 4 NBC SIOUX CITY IA 153° 41.3 4

So what do you think my chances are of getting any of these? I have a 1 story acreage. I live on land that has lots of hills and trees. And what equipment would you reccomend
post #559 of 1416 Old 02-28-2006, 12:49 PM

DakotaSteel:

I live a LOT further from Sioux Falls than you do (in Sioux City - 85 miles away) and get an excellent HD picture from KELO, KSFY and KDLT. The Sioux City channels are expected to have a full-power signal some time this summer, so you should be able to get both.

Using a ChannelMaster 4228 antenna and a 7775 or 7777 amplifier you should get an excellent picture from distant stations. One problem for you is that the 4228 antenna is extremely directional, and while you might get a good signal by facing north/south, you might find out that you need to point it more directly NNW towards Sioux Falls. Sometimes you can carefully tweak the pointing of the antenna to get several strong signals from slightly different planes, but then again you might have to choose either Sioux Falls or Sioux City.

Use the best UHF antenna, the best UHF amp, and the best coax cable you can afford to get a great signal. Good luck - been there.

post #560 of 1416 Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM

Hey thanks man.....I need the advice. I know next to nothing about antennas and amps and the whole nine yards.
post #561 of 1416 Old 03-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

dakotasteelinc,

Also a rotor if you really need to point in various directions. Rotors are not really high priced, just another peice of equipment and wire to hassle with.

OR like we did on the farm years back... rig up the antenna so you can go outside and turn the pole by hand to your predetermined points for your channels. Preferrably you have a child in the family to handle that task. Forty years ago, I was the remote for the TV and the rotor for the antenna.
post #562 of 1416 Old 03-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

rmullin,

Do you know what frequency KTIV plans to broadcast on when they go HD? I'd like to see if I can pull them in. I'm assuming it will be somewhere in the UHF band.
post #563 of 1416 Old 03-01-2006, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

BVfan,
KTIV's digital channel is 41.1

Bill
post #564 of 1416 Old 03-01-2006, 03:57 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I'm really glad I have someone to point me in the right direction. I'm taking all this one step at a time. I just ordered the 4228. I'll set that up and test it. If that doesn't cut the mustard I'll get a pre-amp. And finally if all else fails I'll get a rotor.

Yeah my kids aren't quite old enough yet to be my manual rotor. My oldest turns 2 in 2 weeks, and my other is only 5 months. So, I'll have to give them a few years to grow into their role.
post #565 of 1416 Old 03-06-2006, 01:39 PM

KDLT's subchannel is up (early, I'd say!).

I just grabbed a quick snapshot of the transport stream - it's hardly a definitive test or anything as the main channel isn't running HD at this time. Right now, 46-1 is getting 15mbits/sec, and 46-2 is getting 2.5mbits/sec.

I'll try to capture some streams during an HD event on the main channel to see if there's any rate shaping being done between the 2 channels when the HD side might require a little more bandwidth.
post #566 of 1416 Old 03-06-2006, 05:47 PM

After reading Mendu's post, I just tried manually tuning in the 46-2 KDLT-DT WX sub-channel on my DirecTV HD Tivo receiver and did not get anything. I still get the main 46-1 just fine.

Have they stopped broadcasting now, or do I need to look further into setting up my receiver to tune this one in?
post #567 of 1416 Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 AM

It's on now, so I assume it's up all the time. You probably need to have your receiver rescan for its local channels.
post #568 of 1416 Old 03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

I just had 27.5 pop up on one of my receivers today. Appears to be the same low level signal as KTTW FOX. Assuming KTTW-HD is still being broadcast on 7 VHF.

The channel description on my one receiver states "EAST" for this 27.5 where you would normally see KTTW in the info box. Signal strength appears to be the same as KTTW -- very low -- so I am not sure it is from a different location. I also got it to scan in on another receiver, but my Fusion card could not find it.
post #569 of 1416 Old 03-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

Can anyone else get a lock on channel 15 (20.1)? According to The FCC website, as of Dec. 20th KSMN-DT has gone to full power 200 kW ERP (up from 50kW on a STA) as compared to 2400kW ERP for their analog channel 20. I am having trouble getting a solid lock even though analog comes in crystal clear. FYI, their broadcasting tower is just east of Edgerton MN.~ColAvsFan

Not sure you ever got this answered. I'm 40 - some miles from the tower and am now receiving a rock solid signal. Back when you first ask, I was not. Have not watched enough but it appears they broadcast local SD on -1 and national HD feed on -2. I have not seen true HD yet, but as I stated, I do not watch it much.
post #570 of 1416 Old 03-09-2006, 11:30 PM

Nope, never did, but I appreciate your reply. I think I am limited on the stations I can recieve via an indoor antenna, especially with it being lower (about ground level). My hope is that I can recieve the S.C. stations when they go up in power. BTW, I dont watch PBS much anyway so not having channel 20.1 doesnt upset me at all. I was just curious to see if anyone could get their signal.

Also, Kudos to KDLT on their WX station, Im sure it will come in handy at times especially in the summer. ~ ColAvsFan

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page