Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 1416 Old 03-18-2006, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This morning (Saturday), KSFY ran 'Good Morning America' in HD - first time I have seen them do that. Then, starting at 8 AM they ran a HD Test Pattern and HD Demo for at least a half-hour. Neat to see the shuttle launch, some buildings in NYC, Times Square at night, etc. Perhaps they are getting ready to show GMA in HD all the time??

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1416 Old 03-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

This morning (Saturday), KSFY ran 'Good Morning America' in HD - first time I have seen them do that. Then, starting at 8 AM they ran a HD Test Pattern and HD Demo for at least a half-hour. Neat to see the shuttle launch, some buildings in NYC, Times Square at night, etc. Perhaps they are getting ready to show GMA in HD all the time??

Not sure if they have been running test pattern etc, but I have seen GMA Sat in HD other weeks. I do not watch it consistently enough to know if it has been every week though. I've wondered why the aren't showing GMA during the week in HD.

Is the HD test pattern something a guy could do some calibrating from? The HDNet test pattern on D* is OK (I think it is 12xx by 1080i), but it would be nice to have a 720p pattern to look at on my displays.
post #573 of 1416 Old 03-18-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

Not sure if they have been running test pattern etc, but I have seen GMA Sat in HD other weeks. I do not watch it consistently enough to know if it has been every week though. I've wondered why the aren't showing GMA during the week in HD.

Is the HD test pattern something a guy could do some calibrating from? The HDNet test pattern on D* is OK (I think it is 12xx by 1080i), but it would be nice to have a 720p pattern to look at on my displays.

It'll happen when ABC does some upgrading. They'd need a second feed on an alternate transponder to air the show at its proper time in Central. Since the weekend show runs only one hour, though, it's much easier for ABC to do feeds for everyone. Cedar Rapids-Waterloo has been seeing GMA Weekend in HD for months.

The test pattern, obviously, is a mistake. Perhaps "the switch" is still manual at KSFY and the morning operator forgot to flip it BACK to analog upconvert mode after the show. Morning master control ops, up to now, haven't had much of a chance to play with "the switch." That will change soon.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #574 of 1416 Old 03-21-2006, 07:23 AM

Argus Leader
Leads to some questions:

A) Any timetable at all for KWSD going HD?

B) What kind of junk programming will KELO add to it's sub-channel to steal bandwidth from the HD programming?
post #575 of 1416 Old 03-21-2006, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdieren View Post

After reading Mendu's post, I just tried manually tuning in the 46-2 KDLT-DT WX sub-channel on my DirecTV HD Tivo receiver and did not get anything. I still get the main 46-1 just fine.

Have they stopped broadcasting now, or do I need to look further into setting up my receiver to tune this one in?

Are you still having problems receiving it?
post #576 of 1416 Old 03-22-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post

Argus Leader
Leads to some questions:

A) Any timetable at all for KWSD going HD?

B) What kind of junk programming will KELO add to it's sub-channel to steal bandwidth from the HD programming?

Good questions. Of course KELO is already broadcasting that subchannel, so whatever content they put there won't really matter. I wish they'd said 'Since we're losing the UPN programming, we're going to pull the subchannel and add the bandwidth back to the CBS feed', but that's just wishful thinking on my part!

I'd like to see HD UPN here in SF, they have a couple of interesting shows...
post #577 of 1416 Old 03-22-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTech View Post

Are you still having problems receiving it?

No. I rescanned for local digital broadcasts with my receiver, and it found it (46-2). I wish they would just dedicate maximum bandwidth (maximize PQ) to 46-1 rather than using it for something I'll rarely tune to.
post #578 of 1416 Old 03-23-2006, 07:06 AM

Attention Sioux Falls HD viewers!

The engineering staff @ KSFY is having trouble convincing their upper management that a 5.1 audio upgrade is actually needed, because people are not e-mailing or calling complaining about not having 5.1.

Its funny that the 2 "high end" stations in town KSFY and KELO don't have 5.1 and the generally "low end" stations KDLT and KTTW do have 5.1. Both KELO and KSFY have "promised" to add 5.1 in 2006, but its not on the top of the budget priority list.

If you would like 5.1 on KSFY in the future please send an e-mail to the following people, or call, asking for 5.1 to be added.

I can't put their real e-mail address here, the fourm won't let me post them.

kmanning and dnelson @ ksfy - 605-336-1300 is the phone number.

Kelly Manning is the General Manager, Darell Nelson is the Chief Engineer.
post #579 of 1416 Old 03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

wrote them an email. I think everyone needs to encourage them. I also told them I like the small weather bug over the HD programming. I hate the crawlers on all the HD stations.
post #580 of 1416 Old 03-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

rmullin,

Any KTIV HD yet?
post #581 of 1416 Old 03-27-2006, 04:40 AM

KTIV has not increased their power or changed the antenna yet - they are still broadcasting the extremely low-power HD signal that they have for over a year. I am guessing they are waiting for the weather to warm up before climbing the 2,000 foot tower to redo their digital antenna.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #582 of 1416 Old 03-28-2006, 05:02 AM

Rats, looks like KELO found something to fill their sub-channel already.

Argus
post #583 of 1416 Old 03-28-2006, 07:54 AM

**Yawn**

Between this and all the "outdoorsman" shows they air....I'll be watching KDLT's weather channel more.

Also...KELO...we aren't morons. We know what channel we are watching. You don't need to switch off the HD feed every hour for 30 seconds to show us all your affiliates. Between that, their ridiculous sub-channel and their "Closeline"..they sure know how to ruin a good HD broadcast.
post #584 of 1416 Old 03-28-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendu View Post

Good questions. Of course KELO is already broadcasting that subchannel, so whatever content they put there won't really matter. I wish they'd said 'Since we're losing the UPN programming, we're going to pull the subchannel and add the bandwidth back to the CBS feed', but that's just wishful thinking on my part!

I'd like to see HD UPN here in SF, they have a couple of interesting shows...

Northpine.com, a blog which tracks broadcasting in the Upper Midwest, is reporting that the KELO-land stations will continue their subs as MyNetwork affiliates.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #585 of 1416 Old 03-28-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post

Also...KELO...we aren't morons. We know what channel we are watching. You don't need to switch off the HD feed every hour for 30 seconds to show us all your affiliates ...

I assume you're referring to the legal ID super.

A legal ID is required by the FCC at or near the top of the hour. If there are no station breaks close enough to the top of the hour, it gets supered, and I guess in the case of a multi-station group like KELOLAND, every station's ID is part of this.

Stations' ability to super anything over HD is currently limited until they get HD-compatible character generators. In my market, most stations can super a legal ID -- and little else -- over the HD stream, but I guess KELO's equipment can't even do that. Still, they could be penalized if they don't ID themselves.

post #586 of 1416 Old 03-28-2006, 02:30 PM

Makes sense i guess...since I only noticed it during the basketball games. Sure annoying as hell though.
post #587 of 1416 Old 03-29-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

KTIV has not increased their power or changed the antenna yet - they are still broadcasting the extremely low-power HD signal that they have for over a year. I am guessing they are waiting for the weather to warm up before climbing the 2,000 foot tower to redo their digital antenna.

When I last talked with Dave Madsen he said it would be April or May when they make the move to full power. I did notice that they went off the air at about midnight the other day and the message they had before said they were doing transmitter work, not sure what they were all doing though.

--

Anthony
post #588 of 1416 Old 03-31-2006, 05:55 AM

KTIV in Sioux City is going to carry the new CW network on "one of our secondary digital channels." Oh, yippee skippy. Makes one wonder just how pixilated the main NBC feed will be. How many "secondary" digital channels will they be using?? Here's the story from the 3-31-06 Sioux City Journal:

KTIV to launch CW network
The CW is coming to Siouxland.

KTIV officials announced Thursday they would launch The CW network, an amalgamation of The WB and UPN, on one of their secondary digital channels beginning Sept. 4.

"This is a great opportunity for KTIV to continue our primary affiliation with NBC but use the newest TV technology to provide the new network free, over the air to Siouxland viewers," said KTIV Station Manager Dave Madsen.

"The CW will be delivered on cable systems through the area, much the same as the current KXWB is delivered in our market," he added. "But we will also broadcast it on one of our secondary digital channels so finally people without cable will be able to watch the programming." He said the CW should eventually be available for satellite subscribers who are receiving local channels from DishNetwork.

The CW was created earlier this year when UPN and The WB merged. Although no programming lineups have been announced, new CW President Dawn Ostroff has indicated that it would include the best of both. Already, "Everybody Hates Chris," "America's Next Top Model" and "Smackdown" have been listed as UPN holdovers. "Smallville," "The Gilmore Girls" and "Reba" are likely WB transfers.

The CW programming will also offer some of the favorite syndicated programs during the day including "King of Queens," "Will & Grace" and "The Bernie Mac Show."

WB and UPN executives have said it became increasingly difficult to succeed as "weblets," or smaller networks, in a marketplace flooded with television options. By combining forces, they felt they had a better chance of competing with the Big Four -- ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox.

Madsen said KTIV is currently working to upgrade its digital broadcast signal so that it will cover all of the KTIV viewing area. The upgrade should be completed within the next few months.

Sioux City was without The WB and UPN when both launched. In 1999, WB officials came to Sioux City to get space on CableONE. Jamie Kellner, WB chief executive officer, brought stars Shannen Doherty and Bryce Johnson, a former Sioux Cityan, to the Southern Hills Mall in October to push for inclusion. Two years later -- in 2001 -- it was added. Called KXWB, it was operated by KCAU, the ABC affiliate. KTIV later took over management responsibilities.

UPN, meanwhile, has never had a network presence in Sioux City. KMEG has run several of its programs over the years (including "Top Model" and "Everybody Hates Chris"), but in non-primetime hours.

The CW is co-owned by CBS (which owned UPN) and Time Warner (which owned The WB). Executives from both are expected to figure into the new hybrid.

post #589 of 1416 Old 03-31-2006, 07:50 AM

So much for me wanting KTIV-DT....
post #590 of 1416 Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Your mileage will vary. It'll depend on what that third channel (if any) is and what type of encoder they're using.

KWWL, the NBC in our market (which BTW will soon be KTIV's sister station) runs two subchannels. One is NBC Weather Plus; the other is a music video channel developed by Raycom Media called "The Tube." Unfortunately this happened before our AVS thread was split off from Davenport's, so the initial discussion about it may be hard to find. But if you could, you'd notice few complaints about the main channel. The engineer there at the time assured us that the encoders they were using could juggle the bandwidth as necessary, with the main channel getting priority. So far it seems to be working; the acid test will come this fall when NBC gets Sunday Night Football.

But like I said, your mileage will vary. In fact, I'd have to think that this could be even trickier than KWWL's situation since The CW, unlike The Tube and Weather Plus, will be an actual major network.

BTW, I believe QNI also does an NBC/Fox multicast on their Quincy, IL station, but I've never actually watched it in digital. And unfortunately, Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk doesn't have an AVS thread yet.

post #591 of 1416 Old 04-06-2006, 07:56 PM

Hi, all....sorry it's been awhile since I've been here to respond to your questions about KTIV-DT. Just this week (April 6) we've taken delivery on our new full power transmitter. A crew is on site assembling the transmitter. It will take 4 or 5 weeks to finish that part of the project. Then, a tower crew will come in to mount a new antenna on top of our 2,000 foot tower. I'm hoping it will all be done by mid-June.

We are assured that with current technology, there won't be a problem with delivering both our NBC-HD feed on 41.1 and the new CW feed on 41.2. The CW will launch Sept. 5.

For what it's worth, I'd like you to know that the work on our transmitter and tower is contingent on coordinating schedules with KPTH and KMEG, since we all co-own the tower, and all of us are planning to do some upgrade work at the same time. In other words, if KPTH/KMEG don't have their stuff ready to go, we may have to delay our work somewhat. We're hoping that doesn't happen, but sometimes we don't have complete control over everything that affects us.

I'll try to check back here a little more often, but I'm just swamped these days. If you have a specific question, feel free to contact me directly at the station, dmadsen@ktiv.com
post #592 of 1416 Old 04-10-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen View Post

Hi, all....sorry it's been awhile since I've been here to respond to your questions about KTIV-DT. Just this week (April 6) we've taken delivery on our new full power transmitter. A crew is on site assembling the transmitter. It will take 4 or 5 weeks to finish that part of the project. Then, a tower crew will come in to mount a new antenna on top of our 2,000 foot tower. I'm hoping it will all be done by mid-June.

We are assured that with current technology, there won't be a problem with delivering both our NBC-HD feed on 41.1 and the new CW feed on 41.2. The CW will launch Sept. 5.

For what it's worth, I'd like you to know that the work on our transmitter and tower is contingent on coordinating schedules with KPTH and KMEG, since we all co-own the tower, and all of us are planning to do some upgrade work at the same time. In other words, if KPTH/KMEG don't have their stuff ready to go, we may have to delay our work somewhat. We're hoping that doesn't happen, but sometimes we don't have complete control over everything that affects us.

I'll try to check back here a little more often, but I'm just swamped these days. If you have a specific question, feel free to contact me directly at the station, dmadsen@ktiv.com

Dave,

That's great news for us in SC. Looking forward to improved reception of KTIV-DT. I am a little skeptical, however, of your use of a subchannel for The CW. I know when KELO added their subchannel the quality of the main HD feed went down hill substantially.

Mark
post #593 of 1416 Old 04-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

KELO not showing HD all night because of the SF elections. Guess they don't realize that SF is only about 25% of their veiwership. I called and asked if we were going to get any HD the rest of the night and she said "No, the elections were more important." I said, "Every other network was in HD so I guess I'll watch them" and hung up.
post #594 of 1416 Old 05-20-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltsy855 View Post

I don't know but I hope they dump that crap sub-channel from KELO. It makes 11-1 look terrible with sports or anything with fast action.

Just in case you'all haven't heard.... KWSD becomes CW and Kelo picks up a different crap channel! ;-)

Edit... Sorry about that, I had not updated to the last page.
Chan
post #595 of 1416 Old 06-05-2006, 06:00 PM

Hello,

I was flipping channels and came to KCAU (9-1) didn't show up so i did (30-1) and it came up and my tv showed 720P. so I turned on my audio receiver and it showed Dolby digital? But right now there's no HD program on

That would be nice if there doing HD and DD 5.1?

Craig
post #596 of 1416 Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Have to turn the antenna South and see if we can get it in SF.
post #597 of 1416 Old 06-07-2006, 05:48 PM
mdg

Briefly scanned the last year or so of threads. Sorry if it's answered somewhere. My mother in law is moving to Sioux Falls and wants advice on a TV. Does Midcontinent cable pass through HDTV locals on QAM? The simpler the better for her and she doesn't want any premium channels.
post #598 of 1416 Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 PM

KCAU is passing HD but there audio was messed up. you could not hear the audio when people spoke but when they went to something not in 5.1 it sounded ok.

The basketball game is on and the audio is fine now.

Craig
post #599 of 1416 Old 06-12-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanixs View Post

KCAU is passing HD but there audio was messed up. you could not hear the audio when people spoke but when they went to something not in 5.1 it sounded ok.

The basketball game is on and the audio is fine now.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked for KCAU lately - are they still low power, maybe in testing? I have to assume the HD transmitter is on the tower in Hinton & not on the Terra building.

Mark
post #600 of 1416 Old 06-12-2006, 08:48 AM

Sioux City HD:

Looks like things are progressing on getting real HD on the air in Sioux City. KCAU is actually broadcasting a low-power HD signal from atop the Terra Centre building downtown, and will be broadcasting a "full power" HD signal from the 2,000 foot tower near Hinton by "mid-July." In the mean time, they are passing the HD signal to CableOne and if you have a digital box or cablecard, it is now on digital chanel 455.

KTIV's NBC signal is already broadcasting a weak HD signal, and they also expect to be full power by mid-July -- no word on any agreement with CableOne for carriage.

KMEG & KPTH are also scheduled to broadcast HD from the same tower, but I can't get any direct answer from them yet.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page