Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 1416 Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Latest word on the KTIV HD equipment: the transmitter is done and they are working on the antenna & tower. They hope to have everything in place in a couple weeks.

No official word on KMEG & KPTH but since they are on the same tower as KTIV I assume they would be coordinating their installation schedules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1416 Old 06-14-2006, 05:23 PM

Good news on KTIV! Does anyone have any information when KTTW in Sioux Falls is going to go full power so the rest of us can watch FOX besides people right in town? Thanks
post #603 of 1416 Old 06-18-2006, 12:36 PM

KTIV in Sioux City is now broadcasting TWO digital signals:

4.1 is the NBC HD signal
4.2 is currently the "standard definition" signal being rebroadcast in digital.

Neither seems to be "full power" (maybe it's just me) but both are easier to receive - perhaps they have completed their "tower" work and the digital signal is now coming from atop the 2,000 foot tower but NOT yet at full power.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #604 of 1416 Old 06-26-2006, 12:13 AM

If you look at the FCC website for KTTW:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...&slon2=&size=9

It appears that they are now applying to get on one of the towers near Rowena (from what I can tell, its the KDLT tower.) Anyone else heard this?

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #605 of 1416 Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Nice, another 6 month delay requested. That puts us (again) past the NFL season with no off-air HD Fox outside of SF metro.

I wonder how 'extensive' their search for a new antenna could have been - there aren't that many qualifying towers around Sioux Falls, are there? Probably as 'extensive' as their investigation which determined that their old plan wouldn't work. They sure seem to like that word 'extensive'... and 'extension' too.
post #606 of 1416 Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 AM

I checked the other night and KCAU in Sioux City is still sending true HD 720p but the sound is still messed up (in other words - nothing has changed). The signal appears to be coming from the Terra building but they've bumped up the power from what it was previously.
post #607 of 1416 Old 06-29-2006, 12:11 PM

It appears that KCAU's HD sound is missing the "front" and "center" Dolby 5.1 sound channels. When they are broadcasting a non-hd signal (commercials and local) the sound is fine - but when the HD content has Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, KCAU is dropping the main sound channels.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #608 of 1416 Old 07-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

I just had 27.5 pop up on one of my receivers today. Appears to be the same low level signal as KTTW FOX. Assuming KTTW-HD is still being broadcast on 7 VHF.

The channel description on my one receiver states "EAST" for this 27.5 where you would normally see KTTW in the info box. Signal strength appears to be the same as KTTW -- very low -- so I am not sure it is from a different location. I also got it to scan in on another receiver, but my Fusion card could not find it.

This is starting to make more sense with KTTW looking for an eastern tower. I guess they have figured out that is where everyone is going to point the OTA antenna.

I have a friend in Dell Rapids that was hesitate to try to get HD until I told her that you can just point at Rowena to get all the networks (except FOX). She is pulling in all of them in her lower level with cheap/non-amplified RCA rabbit ears I gave her. Lower level window to the south. She will go to outdoor antenna to help with singal strength and stability eventually.
post #609 of 1416 Old 07-09-2006, 03:04 PM

I live about 20 air miles from Sioux CIty and 65 air miles from Sioux Falls and was looking forward to receiving the channels from both cities, possibly with an attic antenna. Is it possible to get reception that far away with a multi directional in the attic? I do live on top of the Loess hills, a couple of hundred feet up from the water table. Anybody have any bits of wisdom to help me in selecting the right setup?

THanks
post #610 of 1416 Old 07-12-2006, 04:19 PM

Easiest way to check your reception is to see what you can get OTA (over the air) with indoor rabbit ears and work from there. I would assume you should be able to get S.C. channels with ease, but every setup/ situtation is different. See what you can get (if possible). Thats my 2 bits into this. I don't know antenna's very well. ~ColAvsFan

P.S. Anyone in Sioux City know how the digital stations are going in their transition to full power?

post #611 of 1416 Old 07-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy View Post

I live about 20 air miles from Sioux CIty and 65 air miles from Sioux Falls and was looking forward to receiving the channels from both cities, possibly with an attic antenna. Is it possible to get reception that far away with a multi directional in the attic? I do live on top of the Loess hills, a couple of hundred feet up from the water table. Anybody have any bits of wisdom to help me in selecting the right setup?

THanks

I've been thru lots of antenna choices but have no good experience with multidirectional. If you point a UHF only antenna at Rowena, SD (just east of SF) you should be able to get ABC, NBC, CBS in HD plus subchannels.

Go to this site http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

I typed in Akron, IA zip and went about 5 miles east (on the hills?) you can get the above stations with a small UHF multi-directional but no SC stations. Might be able to pull in SDPBS from Vermillion also.

The SC stations are in the opposite direction so you mght be able to point a directional UHF in each direction and get no interference or loss of signal from multisignals. Kind of trial and error unfortunately. If you are going to send the signal to multiple TV/s you may need an amp also. Farther up in this thread someone discusses amps to use.
post #612 of 1416 Old 07-13-2006, 06:42 PM

I'm building a new home and I hope to get it right the first time. Why would they make bi-directional antenna's if they don't work? I'm thinking the DB8 on the roof or in the attic, I would just like someone to tell me they work Or they don't.
post #613 of 1416 Old 07-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

hockeyboy,

From the SolidSignal web site about the DB8 - This is a Large Multi-directional antenna and yields a beam width of about 100 degrees. So it appears that it would pick up the stations from SF and SC but not at the same time. Unless there is a way to adjust that, but not much info on the site.

Most directional antennaes have a beam width of around 20 degrees, I believe. So this multi-directional antenna can pick up stations within a 100 degree arc, but if you want to get SF and SC - those stations are about 175 degrees opposite each other. Tougher to do with a single antenna. Just getting two $25 Radio Shack UHF antennaes may be a cheaper solution. RS claims them to have a range of 75 miles. The ChannelMaster CM3000A on the SolidSignal site is a 360 degree antenna but has a limited range.

I am by no means an expert, just some one who has purchased many, many different antenna types, but nothing like what you are considering. I have Fox in the opposite direction of my other stations and ended up with a two antenna solution.

The other consideration is that once the analog signals are shut off, all the stations are going to go back to their assigned frequencies, only digital. So a UHF only antenna will not pick up your SC 4 and 9 or the SF 11 or 13. This may no longer be true, but was my understanding at one time.
post #614 of 1416 Old 07-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

My KTTW signal went dark about two weeks ago, but I figured it was a tree/leaves problem. I moved my antenna this morning so I would have a clear shot at the tower but can only get 30-36% signal at best. I used to run 60-70% most of the time

Has anyone else seen this problem?
post #615 of 1416 Old 07-15-2006, 11:01 AM

I also have noticed the reduced signal strength of KTTW. Last year, the engineers at KTTW told me they should be full power by this July. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though. Another year of football dealing with signal issues, I guess!
post #616 of 1416 Old 07-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

bighdtvfan,

Thanks for the reply. I was messing around before 11 am and it appears they turned the power up for baseball after 11. My signal is is back up to around 45-60% again. So appears I had a tree - power - pointing problem.

Which antenna did you get from Warren Electronics? Was it the Winegard VHF only fringe one - HD4053P?
post #617 of 1416 Old 07-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

bighdtvfan,

Thanks for the reply. I was messing around before 11 am and it appears they turned the power up for baseball after 11. My signal is is back up to around 45-60% again. So appears I had a tree - power - pointing problem.

Which antenna did you get from Warren Electronics? Was it the Winegard VHF only fringe one - HD4053P?

The antenna I bought from Radio Shack. The item from Warren Electronics was a box that would only bring in the frequency for KTTW. I don't remember what it was called but I have two antennas pointed different directions and by having that box, I can pick up Fox only on that antenna. Works pretty well, but I would like to see KTTW up their power before football season!
post #618 of 1416 Old 07-16-2006, 07:52 PM

I talked with KTIV manager Dave Madsen the other day, and he said that the tower and transmitter upgrades for KTIV, KMEG/KPTH, and KCAU will probably be completed some time mid-august 2006. Said that it was challenging to get the three station groups to coordinate all they need to get HD signals on the 2,000' antenna at full power.

Good things come to those that wait. And wait.

post #619 of 1416 Old 07-16-2006, 08:05 PM

Any word when or if Cableone will pick up these stations in HD? KCAU looks great. I'm anxious for the other stations to jump on board.
post #620 of 1416 Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosok12 View Post

Any word when or if Cableone will pick up these stations in HD? KCAU looks great. I'm anxious for the other stations to jump on board.

I know that KTIV has been in some tough negotiations with CableOne for many months. My guess is that the other local HD channels (CBS & Fox) will be on CableOne by September 1, and KTIV may show up some later time.

KTIV will be broadcasting the new CW channel on 4.2

post #621 of 1416 Old 07-17-2006, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the info. Why is it so hard for everyone to get along? We just want our High Def.
post #622 of 1416 Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighdtvfan View Post

The antenna I bought from Radio Shack. The item from Warren Electronics was a box that would only bring in the frequency for KTTW. I don't remember what it was called but I have two antennas pointed different directions and by having that box, I can pick up Fox only on that antenna. Works pretty well, but I would like to see KTTW up their power before football season!

I spoke to the KTTW technician today and he said they were approved for construction of their new HDTV broadcast equipment. I asked where it will be located and he thought KDLT's tower in Rowena. The bad news is it will take them some time before the equipment is installed and running. Probably not completed until next year some time. I guess I'll have to put up with a weak signal for Viking football this year once again!
post #623 of 1416 Old 08-04-2006, 05:39 PM

Saw on the news last night that KTIV said their HD signal would be down for most of the day today so that they can work on tower upgrades. Hopefully this will allow them, and the others using their tower, to get their signals up to full power before football starts .

--

Anthony
post #624 of 1416 Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

bighdtvfan,

Thanks for the update. I came on here to see if anyone knew of any progress with KTTW-FOX. The signal seems to get worse all the time. Maybe when the leaves fall I will see an improvement because it looks like no new tower for awhile, huh? My friend whose son wants to see Vikings, Bears, Cowboys etc in FOX-HD is going to be SOL it looks like.
post #625 of 1416 Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Hello to all DTV Enthusiasts in the Sioux City area...

a quick update on KTIV-DT...

it looks like the tower work we need to do will be taking place the week of Sept. 5. I don't know exactly how long it may take, but I certainly hope that by Monday, Sept. 11 we'll be operating from a new antenna and our new transmitter. We really want everything to be up and running by Monday, Sept. 18, because that's when we'll launch the new CW network on Channel 41.2. If you haven't read about it, this is a merger of the WB network and the UPN network.

Also, (cross your fingers) I think I can say that we are close to an agreement with CableOne in Sioux City to carry our digital signal, which of course means our HD programming. I know this has been a long time coming, and I apologize for the long wait.
It's not definite yet, but I'm VERY optimistic.

As soon as I have a confirmed agreement, I'll let you know...plus we'll of course start promoting it on-the-air.
post #626 of 1416 Old 08-23-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen View Post

Hello to all DTV Enthusiasts in the Sioux City area...

a quick update on KTIV-DT...

it looks like the tower work we need to do will be taking place the week of Sept. 5. I don't know exactly how long it may take, but I certainly hope that by Monday, Sept. 11 we'll be operating from a new antenna and our new transmitter. We really want everything to be up and running by Monday, Sept. 18, because that's when we'll launch the new CW network on Channel 41.2. If you haven't read about it, this is a merger of the WB network and the UPN network.

Also, (cross your fingers) I think I can say that we are close to an agreement with CableOne in Sioux City to carry our digital signal, which of course means our HD programming. I know this has been a long time coming, and I apologize for the long wait.
It's not definite yet, but I'm VERY optimistic.

As soon as I have a confirmed agreement, I'll let you know...plus we'll of course start promoting it on-the-air.

Is this antenna work for all of the Sioux City stations? That would be great! Can't wait for Sunday night football in HD
post #627 of 1416 Old 08-24-2006, 05:22 PM

There is some amount of work being done for KTIV, KMEG and KPTH. I don't know what's going on with KCAU.
post #628 of 1416 Old 08-24-2006, 09:29 PM

They are still shooting for Labor Day Weekend to get KMEG and KPTH up and going with HD. Good news on the KTIV front, hope they can come to an agreement with Cableone ASAP. Sunday night football looks brutal on there current signal.
post #629 of 1416 Old 08-27-2006, 10:38 PM

Just to let you guys know, KWSD-DT (WB to be the CW) is now licensed for full power. No they did not increase their power on channel 51, they just licensed their STA.~ColAvsFan

post #630 of 1416 Old 08-29-2006, 12:59 PM

What's the word with your station and cableone. NFL is 10 days away. Getting amped for NFL HD.

Please advise.

Thanks Nosok
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page