Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1419 Old 08-29-2006, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I said in my post just a couple of days ago, I think I can say that we are very close to an agreement with CableOne. I'm waiting to hear back from them about my latest offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1419 Old 08-30-2006, 07:30 AM

Thanks Dave keep up the good work.

Nosok
post #633 of 1419 Old 09-05-2006, 03:34 PM

Has anybody noticed that KPTH is on channel 476. Not authorized yet. Looks like KPTH is ready to be launched on HD.
post #634 of 1419 Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 PM

Cableone is showing a channel ID for KPTH, but no HD yet - probably because KPTH is not outputing a HD signal quite yet.

KPTH is now broadcasting on 44.1 and 44.2 from their tower, but I don't think it is at full power yet.

44.1 will be the HD Fox broadcast, and 44.2 is the "My KPTH" junk channel. Both are higher power than before, but as of tonight still in SD format.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #635 of 1419 Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 PM

My understanding is that KPTH's 44.2 is supposed to be the new network "MyNetwork," which is basically just a couple hours of primetime programming called "telenovelas," like primetime soap operas. It is supposed to be ALL in HD. That's what I know.

By the way, I talked with CableOne late this afternoon...we are SO close to getting our KTIV-HD on their system. I hope to know more Wednesday or Thursday.
post #636 of 1419 Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen View Post

My understanding is that KPTH's 44.2 is supposed to be the new network "MyNetwork," which is basically just a couple hours of primetime programming called "telenovelas," like primetime soap operas. It is supposed to be ALL in HD. That's what I know.

By the way, I talked with CableOne late this afternoon...we are SO close to getting our KTIV-HD on their system. I hope to know more Wednesday or Thursday.

Dave,

Any info on when you will be offering HD via Dish Networks local channels? I got tired of CableOne telling me "shortly" when I asked them how much longer before they added more HD for two years and so a year ago and switched to Dish Network where I can get 25 channels of HD for $20/month or $10/month for 6 rather then $10/month for 3 HD's on Cableone. The antenna is great, but if you were going to be sending HD to Dish anytime soon that would be even better!

Also, have you gotten all of your work done on the antenna, if not any eta?

Thanks!

Anthony

--

Anthony
post #637 of 1419 Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 AM

Quote:

My understanding is that KPTH's 44.2 is supposed to be the new network "MyNetwork," which is basically just a couple hours of primetime programming called "telenovelas," like primetime soap operas. It is supposed to be ALL in HD. That's what I know....

I sure hope KPTH does not do MyNetwork in HD as a subchannel to their FOX-HD channel. Both would look like crap with reduced bitrates!!!
post #638 of 1419 Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 AM

KPTH's "My Network" so far is just some TERRIBLE infomercials, and some "programming" that looks like it was shot with a camera-phone. Looks like they are giving 44.2 just a tiny sliver of their bandwidth.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #639 of 1419 Old 09-06-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

KPTH's "My Network" so far is just some TERRIBLE infomercials, and some "programming" that looks like it was shot with a camera-phone. Looks like they are giving 44.2 just a tiny sliver of their bandwidth.

That's good news - so far anyway. MyNetwork isn't getting the greatest reviews in the HDTV Programming forum either.

Hopefully, with FOX using 720p (reduced bandwidth over 1080i) the subchannel won't have too much affect. I still have my doubts about picture quality on KTIV-HD with their subchannel. We'll see soon enough.
post #640 of 1419 Old 09-07-2006, 12:41 PM

In response to the question about KTIV-HD on DishNetwork...

I think that's more up to DishNetwork...when they decide they have space to offer HD local signals in our market.

As for the KTIV-DT upgrade, the tower crew is scheduled to hoist our new antenna to the top of the tower next Wednesday, Sept. 13. That doesn't mean it's immediately available to "turn on," but it's a lot closer than when the antenna is laying on the ground!
post #641 of 1419 Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:

In response to the question about KTIV-HD on DishNetwork...

I think that's more up to DishNetwork...when they decide they have space to offer HD local signals in our market.

As for the KTIV-DT upgrade, the tower crew is scheduled to hoist our new antenna to the top of the tower next Wednesday, Sept. 13. That doesn't mean it's immediately available to "turn on," but it's a lot closer than when the antenna is laying on the ground!

Thanks for the update Dave.
post #642 of 1419 Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM

OK, am I doing something wrong? I live in Morningside at the top of a hill. I am receiving both KTIV channels and KMEG from the Hinton tower, just not KPTH, either one! I'm receiving KCAU and both PBS channels. I just cannot get FOX any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, another thing, is anyone else getting a 4:3 image stretched to 16:9 for CBS (KMEG)? Just curious. Thanks guys!

Chris
post #643 of 1419 Old 09-08-2006, 03:11 PM

For whatever (boneheaded) reason, KMEG has chosen to broadcast their weak digital signal into fake-stretched "widescreen" SD format. Unwatchable. Anybody know when (ever) they will actually broadcast CBS in HD?

So far, the KPTH signal is still quite weak, and you need a good external antenna pointed right at their antenna to get their (now non-HD) signal. Hopefully, within a couple of weeks they will also broadcast a real HD signal.

Dave Madsen from KTIV has some good news for CableOne customers. Ask him all about it!

post #644 of 1419 Old 09-08-2006, 04:26 PM

Here's that good news for CableOne customers...and sorry if this sounds kind of like a news release...because it is!

I'm happy to announce that KTIV-DT is now being carried on CableOne in Sioux City and the surrounding area! This means that CableOne digital subscribers with digital High Definition TV sets will now be able to enjoy the amazing quality of HD programming on CableOne channel 465.

While not all KTIV-DT programming is in High Definition, many of the most popular NBC programming is broadcast in HD, including most NBC primetime programming, Notre Dame Football, NFL Football Sunday Nights, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

Of course, KTIV-DT is also available free, over-the-air on digital channel 41.1. And soon, that free over-the-air coverage area will be expanded with the completion of a new high power digital transmitter and the installation of a new antenna on top of our 2,000 foot tower. And watch for the September 18th launch of the new "CW" network on digital channel 41.2.
post #645 of 1419 Old 09-08-2006, 07:40 PM

For your hard work with Cableone. It's awesome to finally get NBC on HD. The ND and NFL games will be money. I just wished that it was done a day earlier. I'm a huge Steeler fan and would of loved to see last nights game on HD. I'll have many opportunities to check them out now.

Thanks again,
Nosok
post #646 of 1419 Old 09-08-2006, 07:53 PM

By the way, to anyone who watches KTIV-DT...

Please, please, PLEASE call us to let us know when you encounter any trouble, whether it's with your cable feed or your over-the-air signal. I can't guarantee that I'll be checking this forum that often, so please don't let your troubles fester here.

You can of course call me, but you'd probably get a much better technical answer for any troubles by calling directly to our Chief Engineer Richard Herr (pronounced "hair").

Toll-free 800-234-5848. Locally, 239-4100.
post #647 of 1419 Old 09-09-2006, 02:44 PM

Hey everyone,

For about the last week or so I have noticed that KTIV DT and KCAU DT's pictures are pausing on their .1 channel. If I got to KTIV's .2 everything is fine. 14.1 and 44.1 are fine. I also notice that KDLT, KSFY and KELO out of SF are also pausing. I recently upgraded my receiver, but I am not sure if that would be the problem since the other channels, as well as the 25 HD's I get over the dish all work great.

Any ideas?

--

Anthony
post #648 of 1419 Old 09-09-2006, 07:58 PM

By "pausing" I think you mean that the picture seems to freeze for a moment or two. That's the thrill of digital: with a very weak signal, the picture may freeze or have occasional oddly colored pixels (satelite does that too if the dish is aimed poorly or covered with wet snow.) The old analog signal just gets "snowy" or fuzzy with a weak signal.

It is highly probable that this problem will go away when the stations actually broadcast full-power digital signals from atop their towers. For example, I get absolutely perfect signals from the Sioux Falls full-power stations 70 miles away, but can barely get KTIV's digital or KPTH digital. That should change by next weekend if the stations stay on track with their upgrades.

Has anyone heard what KMEG's HD plans are?

post #649 of 1419 Old 09-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

By "pausing" I think you mean that the picture seems to freeze for a moment or two. That's the thrill of digital: with a very weak signal, the picture may freeze or have occasional oddly colored pixels (satelite does that too if the dish is aimed poorly or covered with wet snow.) The old analog signal just gets "snowy" or fuzzy with a weak signal.

It is highly probable that this problem will go away when the stations actually broadcast full-power digital signals from atop their towers. For example, I get absolutely perfect signals from the Sioux Falls full-power stations 70 miles away, but can barely get KTIV's digital or KPTH digital. That should change by next weekend if the stations stay on track with their upgrades.

Has anyone heard what KMEG's HD plans are?

I was thinking the same thing, cept I still get a 75 to 90% signal, just like I have always gotten from KTIV and about 80% from KDLT with both of them having the freezing picture problem, yet on KMEG DT I get 60 to 73% and it's fine. Which made me wonder if it was something else that I might have not been thinking of. I was going to play with my antenna direction this weekend, but the weather had other ideas lol.

--

Anthony
post #650 of 1419 Old 09-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Both local Sioux Falls NFL FOX games were not blocked out in HD today on NFL Sunday Ticket. Hopefully they will continue this mistake all season or at least until we get a full power provider in HD.
post #651 of 1419 Old 09-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyi View Post

I was thinking the same thing, cept I still get a 75 to 90% signal, just like I have always gotten from KTIV and about 80% from KDLT with both of them having the freezing picture problem, yet on KMEG DT I get 60 to 73% and it's fine. Which made me wonder if it was something else that I might have not been thinking of. I was going to play with my antenna direction this weekend, but the weather had other ideas lol.

Ended up being a bad receiver, though, it's weird that only about 4 of the 8 OTA HD channels had the issue. But, incase anyone else runs into this issue, a new receiver should fix you right up .

--

Anthony
post #652 of 1419 Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 PM

Hi, all...

well, the new upgraded KTIV-DT transmitter and antenna have been fired up and they are ON THE AIR! We will still have some time during which they will be doing some testing on all the equipment, and we won't be able to be completely full power right away, but even just what we do have going should increase the signal reach quite a ways. You'll notice some ups and downs in signal strength for awhile, but as I said, there should be lots more folks able to get KTIV-DT now.

So, if you haven't been able to get 41.1, please try it now and let us know. Also, we've got programming running on 41.2 (The WB) getting ready for the switch to the CW starting Monday morning at 5am.

If you have comments, concerns, issues, etc., please let us know. The easiest thing would be to contact KTIV Chief Engineer Richard Herr ("hair") directly at rherr@ktiv.com or by phone at 712-239-4100, ext. 206.

Thanks for your patience.
post #653 of 1419 Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 PM

Greetings Dave, from Larchwood, IA! I am getting a very solid signal from KTIV-DT. Only exception, as it was windy and stormy when I checked it, I was getting some (but not many) signal breakups. Funny thing is from the same TV, channel 4 analog comes in very snowy if it comes in at all. I couldn't get the other stations on your tower to come in on their digital stations. Are they still working on getting their transmitters up and running? Thanks for the info and the full power HD!!!~ColAvsFan

P.S. on channel 41.2, I was only getting sound from the left side plus it was not in sync with the video. Just wanted you to be aware of it.

P.P.S. I was digging around again on the FCC website again, and confimed what I thought was a mystery. My (own) t.v. was easily picking up on KUSD (34.1,34.2) where before I could never get it in. They have also increased their power about 9x.

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #654 of 1419 Old 09-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Getting KTIV-DT here in SF also. Have my antenna pointed for local FOX at 225°. Antennaweb.org says SC stations are at 157° for me so we are pointed about 60° away from the SC tower.

Getting 36-45% signal and locks in better than my local FOX. Assume I could get a stronger KTIV signal if I turned my antenna.
post #655 of 1419 Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

P.P.S. I was digging around again on the FCC website again, and confimed what I thought was a mystery. My T.V. was easily picking up on KUSD (34.1,34.2) where before I could never get it in. They have also increased their power about 9x.

Isn't KUSD the SD Public Channel? So if you are getting My TV there, is that from anther source? I can not pull in KUSD, which is Vermillion, SD so it makes me wonder if you are getting a station from SE or E of you.

Looked further and it appears that 34.1/34.2 are from Worthington, MN - but should also be PBS not MyTV.
post #656 of 1419 Old 09-16-2006, 10:19 AM

Just to clarify for everyone, KTIV's new DT transmitter will not be full-time full power for awhile. There is a testing phase during which the power levels will go up and down, and then when KMEG and KPTH do some work on their antenna's, we'll have to be powered down again somewhat.

But, the fact that we're now broadcasting DT from the new antenna at the top of the tower should be sending that signal out much further, even at reduced power.

Thanks for the input on the 4.2 signal...I think our guys know about the audio situation.
post #657 of 1419 Old 09-17-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

Isn't KUSD the SD Public Channel? So if you are getting My TV there, is that from anther source? I can not pull in KUSD, which is Vermillion, SD so it makes me wonder if you are getting a station from SE or E of you.

Looked further and it appears that 34.1/34.2 are from Worthington, MN - but should also be PBS not MyTV.

BVFan, I edited my post. Look for the "(own)" and read the sentence with the word own in it. Hopefully that makes more sense.

Mr. Madsen, thanks for the continuing updates. 4.2 right side audio is ok now, left side is still off. Looks like your signal will shoot a long ways once it is full power.

One more thing for ya Dave, do you know who I can contact at both KPTH and KMEG about getting their station's on the significantly viewed list for Lyon County Iowa and Lincoln Co. SD? Thanks.

~ColAvsFan

post #658 of 1419 Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

~ColAvsFan
Got it - Are you getting KUSD with your indoor antenna? I never have gotten a signal from them. Tried again after I read your post. I get PBS from 23.1 which is just north of me.
post #659 of 1419 Old 09-20-2006, 01:05 PM

@BVfan, I am getting KUSD-DT ch 34 (2.1, 2.2) with my indoor powered antenna. However, I have a hard time getting KCSD ch 24 (23.1,23.2). But they show the exact same stuff, anyway.

post #660 of 1419 Old 09-22-2006, 07:14 AM

Has anyone heard when KMEG and KPTH will be broadcasting a full power HD signal?
What about their HD signal on CableOne?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page