Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 1416 Old 09-22-2006, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KMEG / KPTH

I called CableOne yesterday and the person I talked to had NO idea when: couple of weeks, couple of months?? No idea.

When you call KMEG/KPTH directly they transfer the call to engineering, and they don't pick up the phone. Let's hear it for great customer service!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1416 Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temitch View Post

Has anyone heard when KMEG and KPTH will be broadcasting a full power HD signal?
What about their HD signal on CableOne?

I heard through the grapevine that KMEG will be upgrading their digital transmitter next week and KPTH the week after that. As for agreements with CableOne, who knows? I can't imagine it will be too long with KTIV & KCAU already on board.
post #663 of 1416 Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltsy855 View Post

I heard through the grapevine that KMEG will be upgrading their digital transmitter next week and KPTH the week after that. As for agreements with CableOne, who knows? I can't imagine it will be too long with KTIV & KCAU already on board.

Will KMEG be broadcasting HD when the work is done...or do they currently?? I was told KPTH will still not be transmitting HD when their upgrades are complete.
post #664 of 1416 Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post

Will KMEG be broadcasting HD when the work is done...or do they currently?? I was told KPTH will still not be transmitting HD when their upgrades are complete.

Earlier this year I heard KMEG & KPTH would both be HD and apparently rmullin heard the same thing. He posted this in June:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

.... KMEG & KPTH are also scheduled to broadcast HD from the same tower, but I can't get any direct answer from them yet.

post #665 of 1416 Old 09-24-2006, 12:45 PM

Has anyone heard if or when KCAU is going to boost their signal? I can't get a signat from at all. thanks.
post #666 of 1416 Old 09-25-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arndog77 View Post

Has anyone heard if or when KCAU is going to boost their signal? I can't get a signat from at all. thanks.

It seems like KCAU did boost their signal a few months ago when they started sending out HD. But they are still transmitting from Terra in downtown SC and I haven't heard specific plans to move to the tower by Hinton. I'm pretty sure theirs is a different tower from the other broadcasters so the tower work those guys are doing isn't a factor for KCAU.

Do you have a good antenna & amplifier?
post #667 of 1416 Old 09-25-2006, 04:54 AM

But i don't see any thing
post #668 of 1416 Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:

It seems like KCAU did boost their signal a few months ago when they started sending out HD. But they are still transmitting from Terra in downtown SC and I haven't heard specific plans to move to the tower by Hinton. I'm pretty sure theirs is a different tower from the other broadcasters so the tower work those guys are doing isn't a factor for KCAU.

Do you have a good antenna & amplifier?

I have a good indoor antenna. I get KELO, KSFY, and KDLT from Sioux falls and KTIV, KPTH, PBS, and KMEG from Sioux City, just not KCAU.
post #669 of 1416 Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 PM

Arndog77,

How far from Sioux City are You? I am about 40 miles north of the hinton and I get KTIV, but no KMEG. Just curious,

Ben
post #670 of 1416 Old 09-26-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben L C View Post

Arndog77,

How far from Sioux City are You? I am about 40 miles north of the hinton and I get KTIV, but no KMEG. Just curious,

Ben

I live about 15 miles north of Hinton. I have to turn my antenna south to get KMEG and KPTH. If my antenna is still pointing north toward Sioux Falls, I still get KTIV and PBS.
post #671 of 1416 Old 09-26-2006, 06:45 PM

Thanks.

Who lives the farthest from Sioux Falls and is still able to get digital signal? I am in Sioux County, NW Iowa and get KDLT, KSFY, KELO at 100%, and I get KTIV at 80%.

Anybody in Spencer or Spirit Lake that is getting OTA HD signal?
post #672 of 1416 Old 09-26-2006, 09:31 PM

I spoke with an engineer about a month ago. They told me they were still waiting on some equipment and should be up around Thanksgiving .

Take it for what its worth.

Nosok
post #673 of 1416 Old 09-27-2006, 05:35 AM

Hi, all...

I can tell you that KMEG's new DTV antenna has been installed on top of our co-owned tower, but I don't know a timetable for turning it on. I think KPTH is still waiting for delivery of some equipment.

As far as KCAU, I know there had been some talks in the past about leasing some space on the new tower where KTIV, KMEG and KPTH are. But no finals details.

By the way, I too am curious who's getting the new and improved KTIV-DT signal out there, especially on the fringes of our coverage area. Please contact me directly at dmadsen@ktiv.com or our chief engineer, Richard Herr, at rherr@ktiv.com.

Thanks.
post #674 of 1416 Old 09-27-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen View Post

Hi, all...

I can tell you that KMEG's new DTV antenna has been installed on top of our co-owned tower, but I don't know a timetable for turning it on. I think KPTH is still waiting for delivery of some equipment.

As far as KCAU, I know there had been some talks in the past about leasing some space on the new tower where KTIV, KMEG and KPTH are. But no finals details.

By the way, I too am curious who's getting the new and improved KTIV-DT signal out there, especially on the fringes of our coverage area. Please contact me directly at dmadsen@ktiv.com or our chief engineer, Richard Herr, at rherr@ktiv.com.

Thanks.

Dave - Thanks for the update on the other stations. I live in Sioux City so getting your signal is not a problem anymore. The Ryder Cup broadcast looked great last weekend (can't say the same for the USA team's performance).

Mark
post #675 of 1416 Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Who lives the farthest from Sioux Falls and is still able to get digital signal? I am in Sioux County, NW Iowa and get KDLT, KSFY, KELO at 100%, and I get KTIV at 80%.

I live in Sioux City and get KELO at about 60% with an HDTivo. The older Zenith receiver I had would get 80%. I used to be able to pick up KSFY, but not anymore. Never could get KDLT.
post #676 of 1416 Old 09-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

I live on the northside of Sioux City and get all of the SF channels other then FOX, most days, it's between 73 and 85% signal.

--

Anthony
post #677 of 1416 Old 09-28-2006, 09:01 AM

I live in Irene, SD and receive KTIV HD even though my Channel Master 4228 is pointing directly towards Sioux Falls. Hopefully the other stations in Sioux City put out that much power when they go HD.
post #678 of 1416 Old 09-28-2006, 03:27 PM

I live in Sioux City, about 75 miles from the Sioux Falls towers. I get a perfect digital signal from KELO, KSFY and KDLT in Sioux Falls, and KUSD from Vermillion, using a ChannelMaster antenna and amp. The antenna is so directional, I barely get the KTIV signal, and no other Sioux City digital channels!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #679 of 1416 Old 10-02-2006, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
While watching the Vikings game yesterday on FOX HD from Midcontinent cable in Watertown the picture and sound froze quite regularly, did anyone else experience this?
post #680 of 1416 Old 10-02-2006, 09:22 PM

At work we get Midco digital cable. And the regular Fox channel froze every so often too...

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #681 of 1416 Old 10-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Sioux Falls Fox HD seems to freeze alot on both Midco and OTA. I hae noticed this during the nightly network programing. Signal is still very weak. Glad that DirecTV Sunday Ticket is not blocking local HD games and letting us watch their FOX HD feeds. Both games looked great yesterday (if your a Vikings or Eagles fan)!!!
post #682 of 1416 Old 10-12-2006, 07:31 PM

I noticed while watching LOST and the Nine that the sounds cuts out once in awhile. Is anyone else experincing this? I have cableone for a provider.

Thanks Nosok
post #683 of 1416 Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

Sioux Falls Fox HD seems to freeze alot on both Midco and OTA. I hae noticed this during the nightly network programing. Signal is still very weak. Glad that DirecTV Sunday Ticket is not blocking local HD games and letting us watch their FOX HD feeds. Both games looked great yesterday (if your a Vikings or Eagles fan)!!!

I have Midco and the Vikings game two weeks ago froze a lot, this past week the Vikings game froze a couple of times, other than that FOX is good here in Watertown.
post #684 of 1416 Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM

According to a source I have, KPTH is quote "Within days of completing the work on the transmitter." Also, they expect to be in HD by years end. ~ColAvsFan

post #685 of 1416 Old 10-20-2006, 06:25 AM

Interesting. When I called KPTH/KMEG last week, the receptionist said that both stations would be broadcasting in HD within "a couple of weeks." When I asked if that meant that the World Series would be broadcast in HD, she said that it was their goal to be in HD by then.

Don't hold your breath.

post #686 of 1416 Old 10-25-2006, 04:10 PM

I see that the analogs for KPTH and KMEG are back to full power, does that mean more delays for the upgrades to KPTH-DT and KMEG-DT?

post #687 of 1416 Old 10-26-2006, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

I see that the analogs for KPTH and KMEG are back to full power, does that mean more delays for the upgrades to KPTH-DT and KMEG-DT?

I'd like to think it means the tower work is done and the digital transmitters are installed. Maybe they just have to flip the switch? I checked KMEG a few days ago and although they still had their lovely non-HD stretch-o-vision crap, the signal strength was slightly higher than it was.
post #688 of 1416 Old 10-26-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I'd like to think it means the tower work is done and the digital transmitters are installed. Maybe they just have to flip the switch? I checked KMEG a few days ago and although they still had their lovely non-HD stretch-o-vision crap, the signal strength was slightly higher than it was.

I would like to think that too, but I can recieve KTIV-DT just fine, but not even the hint of KMEG-DT and KPTH-DT. According to the FCC website, KPTH and KMEG were to have higher ERPs than KTIV. But when I get home today I will edit this post *if* anything changed.

colavsfan

post #689 of 1416 Old 10-30-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosok12 View Post

I noticed while watching LOST and the Nine that the sounds cuts out once in awhile. Is anyone else experincing this? I have cableone for a provider.

Thanks Nosok

I'm experiencing the same thing. I called KCAU and they have not returned my call. I called CableOne and reported the problem. Maybe KCAU will resond to them.
post #690 of 1416 Old 10-31-2006, 10:43 AM

Has KDLT power went down a little? I noticed on my 942 Dish receiver that the signal is a littlelower than normal causeing the picture to be dropped every now and then. Just wondering so I know where to start.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page