Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 1424 Old 11-01-2006, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspeters View Post

Has KDLT power went down a little? I noticed on my 942 Dish receiver that the signal is a littlelower than normal causeing the picture to be dropped every now and then. Just wondering so I know where to start.

It must of went down, I like in Le Mars and I used to get KDLT at about 60-70% in a great picture. Now I don't get it at all. I still get KELO and KSFY at the same power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1424 Old 11-01-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arndog77 View Post

It must of went down, I like in Le Mars and I used to get KDLT at about 60-70% in a great picture. Now I don't get it at all. I still get KELO and KSFY at the same power.

I live on the North side of Sioux City and am currently getting KDLT at about 75% which is where it usually is (73 to 80% usual range).

--

Anthony
post #693 of 1424 Old 11-02-2006, 06:37 PM

Well, I get home a bit early tonight and turn on the TV to watch the rest of Survivor and notice that KMEG DT has a 0 signal!!! WTH? Did they turn it off or what? I would have been PISSED if I would not have made it home and all of my shows that were set to record off KMEG DT were lost due to no signal! KPTH DT is still working good, so not sure WTH is going on over there with those guys! Anyone in Sioux City getting KMEG DT on 11/2/06?

--

Anthony
post #694 of 1424 Old 11-03-2006, 06:10 AM

Thursday I talked to two reps from KMEG/KPTH (they were trying to sell me some advertising time) and when they were done, I asked about the digital & HD upgrades. They said that they were very very VERY close to flipping the switch to turn on the full-power broadcasts and HD signal. Apparently the construction crew was having problems getting their new antenna atop the 2,000' tower, and now were forced to have a contractor literally hang off the tower to complete the install. When that's done, they are good to go.

When I expressed frustration over the lack of HD for the World Series, they said I could count on the Superbowl in HD.

Perhaps.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #695 of 1424 Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM

I had suspected for some time that the incredibly bad picture being broadcast on KPTH's secondary digital channel 44.2 was some over-compressed "streaming video" but couldn't believe that it was actually true.

I just happened to channel surf their digital channels, and here's what 44.2 (My KPTH) was broadcasting on the public airwaves: they had on the screen a Windows desktop. You could see the mouse cursor moving around, and then Windows Media Player loading. Then the computer user started downloading a video stream, the screen showed it was "buffering" the stream, and when the buffer got to 100% the program started playing. The computer user maximized the Windows Media Player to full-screen, then had to go back to turn the volume on (it had been muted.) Then he maximized the Windows Player again to full-screen so the very gross medical infomercial about someone's foot disease and foot amputation could spool out to the waiting public.

The horror of the subject matter was only exceeded by the ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE PICTURE QUALITY. The video is like a badly compressed jpg photo or some bad YouTube upload. This is not why the FCC gives companies a license to broadcast on the public spectrum. KPTH has gone ultra-cheap and are wasting spectrum.

Of course, this channel is also taking space on CableOne's digital package. So instead of using bandwidth to improve the terrible picture on CableOne's Universal HD channel, they waste bandwidth on this unwatchable sludge.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #696 of 1424 Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 PM

I emailed the Chief Engineer at KTIV to ask if Dolby 5.1 was in the plans and he responded that is is in the budget for 2007 but has not be approved yet.
post #697 of 1424 Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM

A colleague received this e-mail from the KPTH chief engineer:

========================================================
.... Thanks for your inquiry. KPTH DT is on the air, though it's very low power and is strictly SD. We have been working for months on modifying our tower, and I now a full power HDTV transmitter humming away in our KPTH DT Hinton transmitter site building. Beautiful machine. Our tower crew has another 3 weeks of work to accomplish before I can transmit at full power, and we are also working away at converting our studio for KPTH DT to pass some FOX programming in High Definition too. As for when, I'd suggest just prior to Christmas. I may well go ahead with full power prior though. You'll get a good signal, though it may not be High Def for a few more weeks if I opt to pursue that route.
========================================================

I was kind of hoping they'd be done before the Thanksgiving NFL game. Doesn't look good.

Mark
post #698 of 1424 Old 11-25-2006, 08:07 PM

Hi, all...

just wanted to report that KTIV is close to an agreement for Long Lines Cable to carry our KTIV-DT signal (41.1). They serve quite a few communities in Northwest Iowa.

We've also added a few more cable systems that are now carrying the new "CW" network programming, which of course is also available over the air on 41.2. I'd be curious to hear from any HD folks with cable who aren't yet able to get KTIV-DT. I'm trying to get deals in place with as many systems as possible.

Dave Madsen
Station Manager
KTIV-TV, KTIV-DT, The CW Siouxland
Sioux City, Iowa
post #699 of 1424 Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the info. Any word on KTIV carriage by DirecTv?

Mark
post #700 of 1424 Old 11-28-2006, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltsy855 View Post

Dave,

Thanks for the info. Any word on KTIV carriage by DirecTv?

Mark

I know DirecTV is finally looking at potential "receive" sites in the Sioux City area from which they would receive local signals for retransmission, and I'm sure they will be receiving the digital-HD signals. However, there is no date on their calendar yet for the introduction of these local signals into our market.

Still no word on DishNetwork providing HD local signals.
post #701 of 1424 Old 11-28-2006, 05:19 PM

I got an email from the engineer for KMEG and KPTH and he said next week sometime they should be able to start broadcasting at full power! A couple weeks ago I emailed the engineer at KDLT and asked him if they were having any issues with their transmitter. He said they were and the parts were on order. I have not noticed any change in signal strength since then however so I don't know if they have their issue fixed.
post #702 of 1424 Old 11-30-2006, 10:30 PM

I am now getting 39.1 (14.1) in Larchwood. Nothing yet from KPTH-DT. ~ColAvsFan

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #703 of 1424 Old 12-01-2006, 04:46 PM

I am in Sioux Center and I get a lock on 39.1 but no picture or audio. 14.1 does not have anything.
post #704 of 1424 Old 12-01-2006, 11:05 PM

Tonight, I am not getting anything from ch. 39 (14.1) Perhaps that was a test of the transmitter.

post #705 of 1424 Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 PM

12-2-2006

I have done a channel scan tonight, and I am now receiving KMEG 14.1 and KPTH 44.1 and 44.2 Signals appear to be very strong and picture quality is very good on both 14.1 and 44.1. MyKPTH channel 44.2 is just a HO-HUM no frills secondary channel, poor quality compared to the CW that KTIV has for a secondary channel.The SEC championship game on KMEG was awesome to watch in HD.
post #706 of 1424 Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 PM

I have an indoor Philips antenna in Le Mars And I am getting a 100% signal now from both KPTH and KMEG. Even with my antenna pointed toward Sioux Falls, it's still at about 77%. Has anyone heard anything if KCAU will boost its signal? I get no signal al all from them.
post #707 of 1424 Old 12-02-2006, 10:36 PM

Approximatly where do you live SBLer, cause I am not getting 44.1 or 44.2 which is the one I want the most out of those 3 Stations.

post #708 of 1424 Old 12-03-2006, 04:25 AM

All users please remember: KTPH (49) and KMEG (39) are not presently broadcasting in HD.
post #709 of 1424 Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 AM

I live in Sergeant Bluff, Iowa about 17 miles south of the tower in Hinton, Iowa
post #710 of 1424 Old 12-03-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soocenterhdbuff View Post

All users please remember: KTPH (49) and KMEG (39) are not presently broadcasting in HD.

Very true, they are still at SD. KMEG is still stretch-o-vision. Hopefully they go HD soon for football, that would be great.
post #711 of 1424 Old 12-04-2006, 06:53 AM

I sure hope KMEG gets rid of stretch-o-vision soon. It really blows. Until they go OAR I'll keep watching KELO.
post #712 of 1424 Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 PM

I live on the north side of Sioux City and get nothing for KMEG but get around 87% signal for KPTH. Though I can get KELO out of Sioux Falls on 11.1 and they appear to be broadcasting in HD so I guess it's not that huge of deal if KMEG can't get on the ball.

--

Anthony
post #713 of 1424 Old 12-04-2006, 09:49 PM

I switched to a different antenna, and I can now recieve KMEG, KPTH, and KTIV in digital. I don't understand what this KMEG stretch-o-vision is. KMEG's analog looks exactly the same to me as the digital signal, just the digital signal is clearer.~ColAvsFan

post #714 of 1424 Old 12-05-2006, 11:14 AM

The KMEG "stretch-o-vision" on my Sony widescreen is exactly as if I had pressed the "wide" button on a 4:3 display: you get a phony "hd look" picture.

This reminds me of TV in Sioux City in the late 1950's and early 60's. Instead of programming all day, for several hours during the day they ran a test pattern on the screen.; overnight the transmitters were turned off. All broadcasts were in black & white. Then a few years later when the local stations transformed to local color TV, they had maybe one studio camera to do the local news, weather and sports; news footage was literally filmed and processed at the station.

What we are experiencing with the translation to HD is taking just as long as the translation to color broadcasts, and there are still plenty of rough edges.

post #715 of 1424 Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

I have changed nothing and my signal is at zero. Do I have to look for a different signal or what?

BTW - Looks like Sioux City is making progress, I have seen HD off and on from there, hopefully things will get done soon for all of us.
post #716 of 1424 Old 12-06-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

...BTW - Looks like Sioux City is making progress, I have seen HD off and on from there, hopefully things will get done soon for all of us.

Yes BV, it looks promising for us. I hope KMEG & KPTH get going with HD soon and we'll have all 4 major networks in HD (woot!). I'd like to mention that KTIV's HD looks pretty decent even with the CW sub-channel pulling away bandwidth. I had some reservations at first, and I know NBC has some issues too, but it looks better than I expected.

Happy Holidays.
post #717 of 1424 Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 PM

I live in worthing,sd. Which is close to siouxfalls,sd. I can pick up local hd channels and some digital channels(including hbo and others) without a cable box or ota antenna.(just straight from the wall) I was wondering if anyone thinks this is normal. I was thinking about cancelling my digital/dvr box and saving 20 a month.
post #718 of 1424 Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM

I can also pick up the local channels with out a cable box. I was told by my cable provider that they are doing this and plan to continue at least in the short term. I have had someone tell me that they are required to do this, but that I am not sure. I would guess if you are getting HBO, they are not correctly encrypting their signal for some channels. Thats my two cents.
post #719 of 1424 Old 12-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roytoy101 View Post

I live in worthing,sd. Which is close to siouxfalls,sd. I can pick up local hd channels and some digital channels(including hbo and others) without a cable box or ota antenna.(just straight from the wall) I was wondering if anyone thinks this is normal. I was thinking about cancelling my digital/dvr box and saving 20 a month.

My understanding is that cable is "required" to pass local HD through their system free. Now in my case I do not have a new enough HD TV to decode "QAM" or whatever the digital cable signal is, so I still have to get a digital DVR from Midco to get them.

I can however get all local HD on my DVICO Fusion V tuner card in my computer, which has a "QAM" tuner. It also passes NBATV channel - not the games - unencypted.

If you have a newer, big HDTV, it probably is possible that it can decode those channels. Thought you had to have a cable card or something though.

I'm assuming you can't get ESPN-HD, HDNET or other HD channels straight into the HDTV, right?
post #720 of 1424 Old 12-09-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

My understanding is that cable is "required" to pass local HD through their system free. Now in my case I do not have a new enough HD TV to decode "QAM" or whatever the digital cable signal is, so I still have to get a digital DVR from Midco to get them.

I can however get all local HD on my DVICO Fusion V tuner card in my computer, which has a "QAM" tuner. It also passes NBATV channel - not the games - unencypted.

If you have a newer, big HDTV, it probably is possible that it can decode those channels. Thought you had to have a cable card or something though.

I'm assuming you can't get ESPN-HD, HDNET or other HD channels straight into the HDTV, right?

Not sure what is required for the cable companies to carry in the clear, but the following is what CableOne is carrying in the clear through a digital tuner without a cablecard:

Channel Network Description

67.452 ESPN HD ESPN in HDTV
68.454 TNT HD TNT in HDTV
20.455 ABC HDTV ABC in HDTV
20.465 NBC HDTV NBC in HDTV
20.470 PBS HDTV PBS in HDTV
78.475 FOX HDTV FOX in HDTV
78.476 My Network My Network TV
67.490 UNIVERSAL Universal HD
You also get the digital music stations using channels 71.801 through 71.824 and
72.825 through 72.847

If you have a cablecard the channel numbers are the same as with a digital set-top box.

Hopefully they will continue sending all non-premium stations without encryption.

Also I see that CableOne is advertising that they will soon be providing Discovery HD, HGTV HD and Food Network HD. Hopefully many others as well without extra cost.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page