Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1436 Old 12-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

My understanding is that cable is "required" to pass local HD through their system free. Now in my case I do not have a new enough HD TV to decode "QAM" or whatever the digital cable signal is, so I still have to get a digital DVR from Midco to get them.

I can however get all local HD on my DVICO Fusion V tuner card in my computer, which has a "QAM" tuner. It also passes NBATV channel - not the games - unencypted.

If you have a newer, big HDTV, it probably is possible that it can decode those channels. Thought you had to have a cable card or something though.

I'm assuming you can't get ESPN-HD, HDNET or other HD channels straight into the HDTV, right?

Premier Communications passes

102.3 KSFY-HD
105.3 KSIN-HD
106.2 ONDemand (previews for pay per view)
108.1 KTIV-DT
108.3 KELO-HD
108.4 UTV

Now that KPTH is broadcasting at full strength they tell me they will add that one as well.

There is also a number of digital audio stations in the 70-90 range.
One thing that I have noticed is that most of the channels that they pass on are coming from an antenna. Or at least I think. I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 on 105.3 but not the rest. If I use an antenna I don't get Dolby on that same station. The rest of them I don't get dolby either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1436 Old 12-09-2006, 08:50 PM

Hi all,

New to this HD thing, call me primitive. Anyways, I would appreciate any help. Just got a 40-inch Sony 2400. I live just outside the Sioux City limits, so I have Directv and an off-air TERK antenna in my attic. I went to antennaweb, and my antenna is pointing ENE, picking up great signals from KTIV, KMEG, KPTH, KSIN. Obviously, nothing from KCAU. My questions are as follows:

1. If I plug in my coax directly to my TV, I get a decent analog KCAU signal, should I get a 1-2 splitter, and split the coax from my wall (from antenna) with one going to my HD Directv receiver and one to my TV, so we can at least watch KCAU in analog?
2. How is everyone else getting the SF stations AND SC stations? Do I need a different antenna, different direction, etc.?
3. Pardon my ignorance, but when trying to watch HD, do I have my TV in 16:9 mode? Do I have the "native" option on or off? (Picture is cropped when watching regular digital stations of satellite when watching in 16:9 mode, so it's kind of a pain to keep switching back and forth.)

Sorry for the longest post in history. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Steve
post #723 of 1436 Old 12-10-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjoyce View Post

Hi all,

New to this HD thing, call me primitive. Anyways, I would appreciate any help. Just got a 40-inch Sony 2400. I live just outside the Sioux City limits, so I have Directv and an off-air TERK antenna in my attic. I went to antennaweb, and my antenna is pointing ENE, picking up great signals from KTIV, KMEG, KPTH, KSIN. Obviously, nothing from KCAU. My questions are as follows:

1. If I plug in my coax directly to my TV, I get a decent analog KCAU signal, should I get a 1-2 splitter, and split the coax from my wall (from antenna) with one going to my HD Directv receiver and one to my TV, so we can at least watch KCAU in analog?
2. How is everyone else getting the SF stations AND SC stations? Do I need a different antenna, different direction, etc.?
3. Pardon my ignorance, but when trying to watch HD, do I have my TV in 16:9 mode? Do I have the "native" option on or off? (Picture is cropped when watching regular digital stations of satellite when watching in 16:9 mode, so it's kind of a pain to keep switching back and forth.)

Sorry for the longest post in history. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Steve

Steve,

I have never been a big fan of splitters, but if DirectTV does not carry local channels then that is prob gona be your best option till KCAU does something worthwhile with their signal.

To get the Sioux Falls channels, I just had my sat receiver search for all digital signals and it picked them up, if you have the option, you should be able to add them as well. No special hardware needed.

As for getting the standard 4:3 picture to fill the screen, I just set my sat receiver (Dish Network) to stretch non HD pictures to 16:9 and I'm good to go on HD or SD as they both fill the screen.

Sioux Falls Channels are 11.1 KELO (CBS) 46.1 KDLT (NBC) and 13.1 KSFY (ABC) this is what I watch for ABC shows if weather is bad since my sat receiver does not have an analog antenna. I am not sure what FOX is for Sioux Falls as their signal has never been strong enough to pickup in Sioux City, and the way it sounds, it's not strong enough for many IN Sioux Falls to pickup.

On another note, I am getting a 95 to 100% signal from KMEG now, though I am still getting 70 to 80% from KPTH so it drops out a lot which is so frustrating since I watch a LOT of FOX programming and would love to be able to watch it all in HD soon as they get things worked out.

--

Anthony
post #724 of 1436 Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi all,

Steve

Go to www.antennaweb.org

If you type in your exact address, it will give you direction and type of antenna needed to receive all signals. Don't know if the SC stations are on there with full strength yet, but will hopefully at least give you direction to all towers from your location.

I am amazed how accurate this data seems to be. If you type in address that would be on top of the Loess Hills and then move west down the hills to the Big Sioux River, it is amazing the difference in the signal data this web site give you. It seems to take terrain into effect if you accurately place where you are.
post #725 of 1436 Old 12-14-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks so much Anthony and BVfan. I have done the antennaweb thing, and you're right, it's great. I have had my satellite search for all stations, but still won't pick them up. I'll try to search again after moving my antenna a bit, but don't want to lose my SC station signal strength. I'm not a splitter-fan either, but I think it's my only option at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you all updated.

Steve
post #726 of 1436 Old 12-14-2006, 05:19 PM

Skjoyce,

KCAU passes HD. There antenna is not at the same place as the other stations. There antenna is on the Terra Centre that is downtown Sioux City.

Craig
post #727 of 1436 Old 12-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Thanks Craig. I have gathered that from other posts, but that doesn't help me solve the problem of how I get the signal with my antenna pointed the opposite direction in order to receive the other channels from the Hinton tower. Do you use a different type of antenna?

Thanks for your input.

Anyone have any idea if KCAU is even thinking of getting a spot on the tower up north? I hear there's plenty of room.

Steve
post #728 of 1436 Old 12-18-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Thanks Craig. I have gathered that from other posts, but that doesn't help me solve the problem of how I get the signal with my antenna pointed the opposite direction in order to receive the other channels from the Hinton tower. Do you use a different type of antenna?....

Steve - Do a search for "Jointenna" in the AVS Forum - 'HDTV Recption Hardware'.

Mark
post #729 of 1436 Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM

Two Antennas:

I live in Sioux City and with my VERY directional CM rooftop antenna and amplifier pointed due north, I receive the major HD networks from Sioux Falls - probably 75 miles away. The 2,000' tower just northeast of Sioux City is probably only 10 miles from my hill-top home, but I get a spotty signal from it with my setup.

I have tried two antennas with a special CM joiner, but the signal loss that causes on the Sioux Falls antenna eliminates that option.

Also tried re-aiming my single antenna toward the Sioux City tower, but then I lose Sioux Falls. In the 80's I had a rotor, but that's a nuisance. So my solution is to wait for CableOne to (finally) provide all the major networks and local stations in HD.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #730 of 1436 Old 12-18-2006, 12:58 PM

From Steve's posts it sounds like he just wants to pull in KCAU and the other SC locals. I think with his location (Hinton is ENE) signal strenth will not be a problem using a 2nd antenna and a joiner. I has a similar setup a couple years ago when KCAU first started digital and it definitely dropped the signal but it worked.

Now I use the rotator and it works great for getting Sioux Falls, Omaha, and Sioux City.

Mark
post #731 of 1436 Old 12-20-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltsy855 View Post

A colleague received this e-mail from the KPTH chief engineer:

========================================================
.... Thanks for your inquiry. KPTH DT is on the air, though it's very low power and is strictly SD. We have been working for months on modifying our tower, and I now a full power HDTV transmitter humming away in our KPTH DT Hinton transmitter site building. Beautiful machine. Our tower crew has another 3 weeks of work to accomplish before I can transmit at full power, and we are also working away at converting our studio for KPTH DT to pass some FOX programming in High Definition too. As for when, I'd suggest just prior to Christmas. I may well go ahead with full power prior though. You'll get a good signal, though it may not be High Def for a few more weeks if I opt to pursue that route.
========================================================

I was kind of hoping they'd be done before the Thanksgiving NFL game. Doesn't look good.

Mark

What is the latest from KMEG & KPTH. It's getting pretty close to Christmas!!
post #732 of 1436 Old 12-20-2006, 04:46 PM

I was asking my local cable company so they can add the station to their cable feed. He called KMEG and they told him before the superbowl. I think that we have heard that before so maybe this was not the correct person who knows.
post #733 of 1436 Old 12-21-2006, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temitch View Post

What is the latest from KMEG & KPTH. It's getting pretty close to Christmas!!

It's not good. I received this from an engineer at KMEG / KPTH:

"...We have come to a screeching halt on automation and High Definition.....So, now I'm hoping to at least pass the Super Bowl in High-Def on KMEG DT. Though, it would be without local content. (No local commercials) As for KPTH DT, nope, even later. Besides moving KPTH to KMEG studios, we still have outstanding microwave Studio to Transmitter link issues still to resolve too. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. Hang in there. I'm determined to get this done. I don't even watch analog TV at home myself anymore. I can't wait to get this stuff going."

Bummer. My guess is they'll pull the plug on passing HD after the SB until they can get the local commercial thing ironed out.
post #734 of 1436 Old 12-21-2006, 07:17 AM

The KMEG / KPTH delay is a big drag, but at least with a good antenna, many of us can get CBS in HD from KELO in Sioux Falls.

In the Sioux City area cable system CableOne, they're adding a 5-channel HD package, probably in February after they get new equipment installed. The optional $5 package will offer these HD channels: National Geographic HD, Food TV HD, A&E HD, HGTV-HD, and Discovery Home Theater HD.

I am most interested in Discovery HD and National Geographic HD, and by far the least interested in A&E HD (they carry a lot of reruns of non-HD programming like TNT does.)

Sure wish we had access to HDNet on cable - I don't want to go back to a dish. HDNet carries a lot of movies, concerts, news and specials in real HD without tons of compression. Instead, CableOne carries the terrible UniversalHD which has 2-star movies, and TV series from the 1970's - all in the worst compressed blocky blotchy picture imaginable.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #735 of 1436 Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

The KMEG / KPTH delay is a big drag, but at least with a good antenna, many of us can get CBS in HD from KELO in Sioux Falls.

In the Sioux City area cable system CableOne, they're adding a 5-channel HD package, probably in February after they get new equipment installed. The optional $5 package will offer these HD channels: National Geographic HD, Food TV HD, A&E HD, HGTV-HD, and Discovery Home Theater HD.

I am most interested in Discovery HD and National Geographic HD, and by far the least interested in A&E HD (they carry a lot of reruns of non-HD programming like TNT does.)

Sure wish we had access to HDNet on cable - I don't want to go back to a dish. HDNet carries a lot of movies, concerts, news and specials in real HD without tons of compression. Instead, CableOne carries the terrible UniversalHD which has 2-star movies, and TV series from the 1970's - all in the worst compressed blocky blotchy picture imaginable.

Is the optional HD package you mention in addition to the extra $5 you pay for a HD Digital Box now?
post #736 of 1436 Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Is the optional HD package you mention in addition to the extra $5 you pay for a HD Digital Box now?

Oh, yeah. It's just another optional "tier" like adding HBO/Cinemax. $5 per month on top of the "digital" package. You will be able to subscribe if you have their digital box or have a cablecard in your set.

post #737 of 1436 Old 12-21-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Oh, yeah. It's just another optional "tier" like adding HBO/Cinemax. $5 per month on top of the "digital" package. You will be able to subscribe if you have their digital box or have a cablecard in your set.

If they had more channels in the package it might be worth it, but appears to be a rip-off for just 5. Might be time to look at the satellite option again!
post #738 of 1436 Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:

If they had more channels in the package it might be worth it, but appears to be a rip-off for just 5. Might be time to look at the satellite option again!

Yep. And if D* adds NGC-HD soon as is rumored, then they'll have most of the channels I want in CableOne's HD pack, plus the HDNets & ESPN-2.
post #739 of 1436 Old 12-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltsy855 View Post

Yep. And if D* adds NGC-HD soon as is rumored, then they'll have most of the channels I want in CableOne's HD pack, plus the HDNets & ESPN-2.

This is a little off-track for this forum, but I agree that D* would be better for me if all I cared about was HD content. Unfortunately, my cable company is the only realistic source for me to get high-speed broadband internet. When I have compared the cost of my cable package vs. D* + DSL for internet, there just isn't any advantage to switch (other than having 30 HD channels), and the DSL in my neighborhood is actually about 1/10th as fast as my cable modem.

Perhaps in another decade we will have fiber-optic cables running to every home and business, and be able to choose what WE want to watch, not just what the cable or satellite provider says we can have -- plus have unlimited data transmission capacity everywhere. Until then...

post #740 of 1436 Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:

This is a little off-track for this forum, but I agree that D* would be better for me if all I cared about was HD content. Unfortunately, my cable company is the only realistic source for me to get high-speed broadband internet. When I have compared the cost of my cable package vs. D* + DSL for internet, there just isn't any advantage to switch (other than having 30 HD channels), and the DSL in my neighborhood is actually about 1/10th as fast as my cable modem.

Perhaps in another decade we will have fiber-optic cables running to every home and business, and be able to choose what WE want to watch, not just what the cable or satellite provider says we can have -- plus have unlimited data transmission capacity everywhere. Until then...

I don't know, when I made the move to Dish and I added HD, another receiver, Cinemax and kept my 3meg cable internet I only ended up paying about $10 more a month then I did with the digital bundle with HBO on Cableone. And since the incompetent people over at KMEG feel that it's better to show paid programming infomercials rather then football on Sunday's, I am glad I have an antenna to get Sioux Fall channels since they seem to realize that their customers want to see football and not paid advertising on Sunday. In addition, with Dish's new HD packs you get something like 25 channels for $20 or you can get something like the Dish HD Gold (which is what I have) that Includes 27 high-definition channels plus over 240 standard channels for $70 / month and then add the 3meg internet for 40 for a total of $110 / month.

On a side note, reception of Sioux Falls channels is sometimes spotty (95% one day, 0 the next) so I want to add an amp to my antenna. Anyone have a model that they have had really good luck with?

--

Anthony
post #741 of 1436 Old 12-22-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyi View Post

...On a side note, reception of Sioux Falls channels is sometimes spotty (95% one day, 0 the next) so I want to add an amp to my antenna. Anyone have a model that they have had really good luck with?

It's hard to beat a Channel Master 7777 or 7775 pre-amp.
post #742 of 1436 Old 12-26-2006, 11:41 PM

Hey, I just found this forum and am really glad.

I live in Vermillion, SD and have Dish Network with an Over-the-air antenna. I receive KPTH, KMEG and KTIV at 90-100. I do not receive KCAU (Which is irritating). Does anyone have any info as to whether KCAU plans to move to the same tower as the other stations?

Would it be too much to ask for KPTH to go HD before the next season of 24 starts?
post #743 of 1436 Old 01-01-2007, 02:01 PM

Happy New Year everyone,

An update on my current situation. I have Directv, which is fine, and receive all off-air locals except KCAU. So I went to Pflanz and got a splitter, which takes my off-air antenna from the wall and splits it----one to my TV directly (so I can receive KCAU), and the other to my satellite so I can receive my HD locals. Only problem is, my KCAU is shadowy. I have my antenna in my attic (Terk antenna) pointing ENE and receive a great signal from KTIV, KMEG, KPTH, KSIN... Thoughts? Different antenna (? non-directional?)? Appreciate any thoughts.

Steve
post #744 of 1436 Old 01-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Time to rescan those sets guys. I am in Sioux county and am getting kmeg and kpth in a digital signal. Very stable too. I am not sure when it changed, but a friend of mine noticed more channels on New Years eve. He had the nerve not to tell me about it until now.

On second look I don't think the KPTH signal is full HD. Looks like a 480p signal. KMEG looks better.
post #745 of 1436 Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Hey all,

I'm thrilled to find this message board with "Siouxlanders" dealing with the same situations as I am! I just recently found the Directv message board, that has helped some, but this thread is much better!

I'd like to throw out MY particular situation, to see if anyone has any thoughts or opinions or suggestions for me.

I have had Directv (with two receivers) for six years now. The wife wants to upgrade to a DVR and I want High Definition. I'm not bothered about paying $100 for either of those type receivers, but if you want a combo "HD DVR" receiver, it's $300. Screw that (it really should be like, between $200-$250, IMO), so we're going to go with a DVR for the 46" LCD, in the living room and a HD receiver for the 54" Zenith, in the family room/basement. I really don't have any questions about the DVR. I've read (on the Directv boards) that some people are finding bugs/flaws. I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed that we won't have that problem. My questions/concerns are with the HD receiver and the use of an antenna.

As you Directv folks (in the Sioux City area) know, we don't get our locals thru them. I pay $6.00 per month for the east coast affiliates of: NBC, CBS, ABC & FOX. When I want to catch something on the "local" affiliates, I just use a basic "rabbit ears" antenna connected to the back of the living room TV (which definately sucks, picture-wise). I can't get ANY local reception in the underground basement. Now by going with HD, I will have the opportunity to have them install 1 of 3 antennas that they offer (for a one-time $50 fee), to assist a person in picking up local digital feeds. After reading thru some of the pages on this thread, it sounds like the majority of you are going this route. I had been giving a thought of NOT using an antenna and just keeping the national affiliates, just to avoid the cost of an antenna and also because of the minor problems some of you have been having picking up the signals of local affiliates. But both the wife and I are very interested in trying to pick up the signals of TV stations in Sioux Falls, and maybe even Omaha, if the antenna was big and fancy enuff. I did go to antennaweb and found that we could possibly pick up ALOT of these channels from where we live (South Cornelia St. - in M'Side 51106)

So I guess I'm wanting to learn more about what other Directv subscribers are doing, here in Sioux City. Anyone out there just sticking with the national affiliates for the major networks (and their High Definition shows)? Who all went the antenna route and did you go with one of Directv's antenna options or with something else? Did you contact Directv directly about upgrading (and antenna installation) or did you go with a local retailer (such as Satellite Central)? Any suggestions, assistance, thoughts or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated !!!! Thanks

GT25Ump
post #746 of 1436 Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM

A few suggestions. I am surprised you are still able to get the DNS in Sioux City. maybe you are using a remote address. If you want to get a Standard DVR you are going to need the DNS feed to be able to record network shoes.

In regards to the cost of HD DVR's. If it was me I would step up and get the HD DVR. I have had the HD Tivo for a couple of years now and don't regret spendy a lot more than $300.

I am not familiar with the Morningside area, but from what I have read it seems to be difficult to get HD signal. IF you are at all handy I would just go out and buy an antennas direct antenna and hang it yourself. Not much to it. Go to the antennaweb.org website and put in your address and see the directions to your different HD affiliates and see what antenna you should get.
post #747 of 1436 Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 AM

GT25Ump - Like Ben L C I am also surprised you get all the DNS networks in HD. At this point I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that, like having them come out to install an antenna for SC locals, especially since local FOX & CBS aren't HD yet anyway. If I were you I'd just get a good Channel Master antenna and see if you can get KCAU in HD. I'm sure you'll get KTIV and KSIN in HD and you'll get KMEG & KPTH in SD. I live in Morningside too and have good signal by pointing the antenna at Terra Towers where the KCAU transmitter is located. Depending on where you live on Cornelia, I think you'll be fine without a big antenna or an amp. If you want Sioux Falls and Omaha, you'll need a CM 4228 and a 7775 or 7777 amp and a rotator. I'm down in a valley in Morningside and I can still get KETV, WOW, and KELO most of the time.

BTW - You should be able to get at least a $99 credit on a DirecTv HD-DVR the HR20. Just read thru some of the threads in the HD Recorder secrion. I got a $99 credit, free HD pack for a year, and an additional $10/month credit for a year.
post #748 of 1436 Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 AM

I read Ben's reply to me, last night, and mentioned that he was surprised that I received "DNS" in Sioux City. I didn't know what the hell THAT meant, haha. NOW, I'm figuring it out, after reading hiltsy's statement. That's the national affiliates, right?

Anyways, I'm NOT receiving the national affiliates in Hi-Def. I haven't even purchased a HD receiver or antenna yet. I'm simply getting the basic broadcast from those channels on directv (Channels 380-389), because of DTV not offering Sioux City locals. But from my understanding, those national affiliates have HD versions of themselves located in the same channel area as the rest of Directv's HD channel choices. SO, I figured that if I wanted, I could just have them, rather than deal with the antenna, to pick up the locals around here. But in the same respect, I previously didn't believe that we could see those channels in HD. As you can see, I need more KNOWLEDGE on all this, haha.

So now that you understand that I am not getting ANYTHING in HD, yet, let's move onto the antenna suggestion. So does that mean that I should blow off any antenna options that Directv offers me and just go out and buy a special antenna (such as the CM 4228 & amp & a rotator to allow me to be able to aim the antenna when I need to)? I wonder if the guy representing DTV, that will come to install the DVR & HD Receiver would also handle installing a special antenna? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined, if you know where I'm coming from. lol

And hiltsy, how did you get all those credits and discounts? Were you a new customer to Directv? If you WEREN'T a new customer, did you just have to ask for the discounts? I'd love a link to THAT info. haha.... Thanks for all the info so far.

GT25Ump
post #749 of 1436 Old 01-09-2007, 09:27 AM

Ok. I see now you're not getting DNS (distant network service) in HD. I was wondering how you succeeded where so many have failed! Anyway, I'm not really sure what D* will give you for an antenna, but I assume it will be one that clips onto the dish. With that one you'll get KTIV & KSIN in HD, but probably not KCAU. You'll need to get the CM setup I mentioned, and someone like Pflanz could probably do the install. The D* installer should be able to integrate the CM antenna signal with your receivers.

For the HR20 go here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62089
post #750 of 1436 Old 01-09-2007, 06:53 PM

I would be real careful how you talk to D*. If you do get a HD receiver just activate it like normal and see what comes in. You don't want to loose the DNS'.

They did have a $99 H20 with a $99 credit awhile back. Not sure what is going on now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page