Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1416 Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When and If KCAU goes full power OTA can you please post.

Thanks,
Nosok12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1416 Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 PM

I just recieved this email from the Chief Engineer at KPTH.

Just a quick note to some viewers who recently inquired about out HD over-the-air signals

We believe we have everything in place to put a High Definition signal on KPTH-DT 44-1 beginning this evening. Take a look and let us know how it went.

FOX Sports presents a special NFL preseason match-up between the reigning Super Bowl Champion Indianapolis Colts and the Dallas Cowboys, live and in HD from the Texas Stadium in Irving, TX. Play-by-play announcer Joe Buck and analyst Troy Aikman call all the action Thursday, Aug. 9 (7:00 PM CDT) on FOX.

(TV-N/A) HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

Thanks for watching!

Now we need to put pressure on KCAU to follow suit.

Nosok12
post #903 of 1416 Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM

I'll definately post when I first see if or when KCAU OTA goes full power.
post #904 of 1416 Old 08-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosok12 View Post

....We believe we have everything in place to put a High Definition signal on KPTH-DT 44-1 beginning this evening. Take a look and let us know how it went....

Uummm - I just started watching the 2nd half and there's no HD. Possibly they don't have the equipment to insert the stupid weather bug with an HD picture. This sucks. Did anyone watch the 1st half?
post #905 of 1416 Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 PM

The 1st half looked great, awesome picture, total HD. Don't know what happened in the 2nd half. I wonder if it had something to do with the weather bug.
post #906 of 1416 Old 08-10-2007, 06:55 AM

First half did look very good. Better PQ than what I get from D* national HD FOX feed. The 5.1 audio was an added bonus that I wasn't expecting. Blaming the weather bug for lack of HD feed later on. I'll give them a mulligan for the first night, but someone local might want to get the number for the "switch-flipper" over there.
post #907 of 1416 Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 AM

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to let you know I live approx 35 miles NE of Sioux Falls and I am able to pull in KPTH with a signal of around 68. So far this is the only FOX OTA station I can get. Way to go KPTH!!!

Tanya
post #908 of 1416 Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 AM

I only watched the first half. So for me, the PQ was terrific!!! It was the first time I have ever seen Fox in HD. So it was a treat for me. I know KMEG can put the weather bug over the HD signal (or I have seen it before), so I wonder why KPTH can not. Tani, it sucks that KTTW can not put out a full power HD signal, doesnt it?

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #909 of 1416 Old 08-10-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tani View Post

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to let you know I live approx 35 miles NE of Sioux Falls and I am able to pull in KPTH with a signal of around 68. So far this is the only FOX OTA station I can get. Way to go KPTH!!!

Wow - you are NE of SF and you still get signal? They must have boosted their signal a bunch. I live in SC and I have to rotate my antenna off-axis or I get drop-outs. I'm probably getting too much signal if I point at the tower. Way to go KPTH - now get the weather bug issue fixed, please!!!
post #910 of 1416 Old 08-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Not only did 44.1 get a facelift, 44.2 MyKPTH is no longer ran off of a computer. In other words, PQ improved to levels almost of what KPTH-DT were at before the HD upgrade.

post #911 of 1416 Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 AM

I saw "School Of Rock" with Jack Black was in HD on HPTH last night. Good picture!
post #912 of 1416 Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 AM

This is KPTH stance on the weather bug problem.

Glad you enjoyed the game. Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately the issue of having to go to SD for things like weather alerts, EAS tests and alerts, etc., is not our decision. Fox doesn't give us an HD feed that we can route through our plant and manipulate in any way. It is our hope that at some point they will rethink that decision, but for now that is the situation.

Got my OTA antenna installed in my attic today. Picked up 3 of the 4 Local HD channels perfectly. Only thing is KCAU is dragging there feet. We need to continue to email their engineers and put the pressure on them. Hopefully it will work. I need LOST, Greys, and College Football in HD!

Nosok12
post #913 of 1416 Old 08-11-2007, 08:17 AM

Yeah, KCAU needs to step up to the plate now.
post #914 of 1416 Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 AM

How is everyones reception of KPTH'sHD digital signal? I never had a problem with picking it up before. Now I seem to have a signal strength of 45 on my HD Tivo. I am getting in the 90's on KTIV and KMEG. Are all of the Sioux City stations on the Hinton tower? Maybe I need to realign my antenna. Just curious. Thanks.....
post #915 of 1416 Old 08-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

The weather bug issues is an ongoing problem. For you new to HD, wait until we have ice or snow on a Sunday and you want to watch NFL. No local HD almost all day some Sundays last year and most of New Year Day for the college stuff.

I suggested to KELO that they run their weather and school closings during local commericals when they switch to SD. We know that will never happen - that is the only time they don't run the screen crawler.

Only station in SF with that can broadcast in HD with local info on the screen is KSFY - ABC
Someone correct me if I am wrong on that, but that has been my observations.
post #916 of 1416 Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 PM

I have never seen KSFY-HD run a crawl, just a graphic that states to switch to analog for weather details. They did an excellent job at minimizing the amount they showed that graphic too during the Vikings preseason game the other day. Which looked great by the way in HD.

post #917 of 1416 Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Yesterday I did a search on my antenna for digital stations and it pulled in 5 Des Moines stations. They don't always stay locked in, but for the most part they have. Has any one else noticed this? The channels I picked up was 19.3, 17.1, 17.2, 8.1 and 8.2. I am in NW Iowa. I only have rabbit ears mounted in my attic for an antenna. Thanks
post #918 of 1416 Old 08-14-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmroskam View Post

Yesterday I did a search on my antenna for digital stations and it pulled in 5 Des Moines stations. They don't always stay locked in, but for the most part they have. Has any one else noticed this? The channels I picked up was 19.3, 17.1, 17.2, 8.1 and 8.2. I am in NW Iowa. I only have rabbit ears mounted in my attic for an antenna. Thanks

There has been some serious skip going on the last few days. I'm located in south central SD about 200 miles due west of Sioux City. A couple of days ago I scanned for digitals and picked up channels from both Sioux City and Sioux Falls, this with my antennas pointed north/south. The skip also plays havoc with my normal local channels which are 50 miles from my home (co-channel interference).
post #919 of 1416 Old 08-16-2007, 11:52 AM

WIth the humidity as high as it has been, this is not unexpected. I have recieved Minneapolis and Omaha stations before in NW Iowa. These were analog stations, however.

post #920 of 1416 Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Check out this tropospheric ducting site for info on how it affects UHF/VHF reception.
post #921 of 1416 Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 AM

I hadn't read any of the recent discussion about receiving distant HD signals, but last night when I had my system scan for new channels, it found 8 new ones!

I live in Sioux City, but received crystal-clear broadcasts from Des Moines and Ames, and from the Sioux Falls PBS station. Blew me away! My wife suggested it was caused by the same phenomena that has caused the blood-red sunsets recently, or perhaps the new bathroom vents we recently installed into our roof! I was pleased to see there is a less-magical explanation.

I expect the reception of these stations was a fluke, and that some kind of solar-flare activity is the reason behind the bounce.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #922 of 1416 Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben L C View Post

How is everyones reception of KPTH'sHD digital signal?

My reception is great. I get 100 % in Vermillion, SD. I have to say that the picture of the Vikings v. Jets game looked amazing. Good job KPTH.
post #923 of 1416 Old 08-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Has anyone heard about KCAU's upgrade? I keep hoping that they would be up by the time college football hits the airwaves.
post #924 of 1416 Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM

From what we've heard, KCAU should be firing up their full power transmitter "soon."

And, just so you know, KTIV will probably have the same issues with the "weather bug" as it affects our HD feed as I've been reading about in this thread. We don't yet technically have a way to insert the "weather bug" over the digital signal, so we have to switch to SD during that time. The idea of just putting up a msg about switching over to the analog for severe weather info is interesting. I don't know if we can do that, but we'll talk about it.
post #925 of 1416 Old 08-19-2007, 08:56 PM

Dave,

Do you know how soon were talking for KCAU? A week, a month? Their chief engineer told me 1-2 weeks and that was 3 weeks ago. I sure hope it is done sooner than later.
post #926 of 1416 Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen View Post

From what we've heard, KCAU should be firing up their full power transmitter "soon."

And, just so you know, KTIV will probably have the same issues with the "weather bug" as it affects our HD feed as I've been reading about in this thread. We don't yet technically have a way to insert the "weather bug" over the digital signal, so we have to switch to SD during that time. The idea of just putting up a msg about switching over to the analog for severe weather info is interesting. I don't know if we can do that, but we'll talk about it.

Dave,
Why not just put the weather bug on 4-2 since it's SD anyway?
post #927 of 1416 Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Can anyone explain the following:

I live in a higher part of M'Side (or at least it's not in a valley). I can get all the S.C. digitals (even weak ass KCAU) on my 32" LCD, in the street level portion of my home. And that's with a very basic $15 UHF/VHF antenna, about three feet away from the TV. I then decided to experiment and took my 19" LCD to the downstairs family room (with same antenna) and was able to get all local digitals (other than KCAU). I didn't even have to set the antenna in a window sill. So I figured I'd have the same results with the Samsung 52" LCD that I just purchased and have in that same family room. But NO. Same cheap antenna, stretched in numerous different ways and I can only get KMEG & IPTV for digital, ARGH. I will admit that the big tv is on the southern most portion of the basement so it's hard to get the antenna to point towards Hinton & S.D. towers. But why would it work for a small TV down there and not for the big TV? Any opinions or facts may calm me down!

Next item...
Since 2003, I've been receiving the four national affiliates from D*, in place of our S.C. locals not being offered by them. I think I've heard that not all Siouxland area D* customers are getting that deal, which doesn't make sense. We're going to be upgrading to the D* HD package next Monday and we were intending to drop the national affiliates ($6 a month) and just use the cheap antenna to get the locals. But seeing it looks like that won't work in the basement, now I'm looking at two options. Either keep the national affiliates and hopefully they'll let us upgrade to their HD versions of those channels OR to get a quality antenna to pick up the S.C. locals without a problem and MAYBE even Sioux Falls/Omaha stations. Last January I was looking into the antenna option and I had someone recommend the Channel Master 4228, a rotator & a 7775 or 7777 amp. They suggested going with Pflanz, seeing they could install as well. I believe that a CM 4228 sells for about $80, an amp for about $55 and don't know how much for the rotator.....let alone cost of installation.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions from some of you "antenna vets". Is it worth the trouble to get the fancy antenna (and everything that goes with it) or do you think it'd make more sense to just enjoy the national affiliates? And is that still the best option of antenna out there (and route to take for purchase/install) to possibly pick up digital channels from Sioux Falls & Omaha? Your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks

GT in Sioux City
post #928 of 1416 Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 AM

I just installed a radio shack $55.00 boom antenna in my attic. Point it towards the north and get 3 out of 4 locals (No KCAU). I'm in M'side as well and these channels come in clear as can be. I just ran the coax from the antenna to the existing coax that's in my house. I had D* installed on Saturday and he ran all new wiring to my recievers. It worked out great. The only thing I'm waiting on now is for KCAU to transmit at Full Power.
post #929 of 1416 Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM

Different sets have different receivers. About all you can do is experiment like you are doing. When KCAU goes full power you won't need a rotor. Hopefully that won't be too far down the road. I think nosok12 has the right approach, just put an antenna upstairs or in the attic. If D* is giving you nationals right now, you're lucky. They certainly won't give you national HD - I don't think. OTA is your best option. Go with a CM 4221 (smaller version of the 4228) or the new 4220. I'd try it w/o an amp at first - you can always add one.
post #930 of 1416 Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Are you guys getting this game in HD? I'm not. It should be in HD. I hope this won't be an ongoing problem throughout the season. One side note, I spoke to an engineer at KCAU and he told me the same thing that Madsen has told us "soon". I asked "well will it be ready for the beginning of football season". He replyed "when's that?" I then explained labor day weekend. He said that will be their goal. I wonder about these guys sometimes. Let's hope they get it done "very soon". I need my HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page