Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1419 Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not receiving KMEG 14.1 in Vermillion, SD either.

I have a question. I was really looking forward to watching the Lions v. Redskins game this weekend. It was supposed to be the early game on fox. KPTH is not showing the game. Sioux Falls FOX is even playing the game.

My question is, who is in control of showing these games?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1419 Old 10-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen View Post

Let me report that we haven't heard any info yet about DirecTV adding HD locals in the Sioux City market. We do have an agreement in place, so we're ready to go when they are, and we know they were in the market quite a few months ago doing so testing for a potential OTA receive site in Sioux City...but we haven't heard anything recently about when it might start.

Dave,

Do you guys know of a timeframe when Directv will be adding locals from Sioux City? Not just hd, but sd too. I got a friend that wants to get Directv, but lives up near Okoboji, which is a little to far to be pulling in OTA of any sort.. Being that Dish net is the only one providing it at the moment, I was curious if Directv has it on their timeline.

Thanks,
Ben
post #993 of 1419 Old 10-09-2007, 08:23 PM

Has anyone heard when KMEG is going to come back on?
post #994 of 1419 Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 PM

Any day now is what I'm hearing. They shut it down to make repairs. I'll email Ed Bok again if it's not up by the weekend.
post #995 of 1419 Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM

KMEG 14.1 is back up and running
post #996 of 1419 Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 PM

I'm not getting it. Is anyone else recieving KMEG 14.1 now?
post #997 of 1419 Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Nope. DOA in Sioux City.

Makes me wonder how they will handle their digital signal in a couple of years when the analog signal is turned off.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #998 of 1419 Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 AM

As of noon today I'm now getting KMEG digital 14.1. Also last night KTIV digital was down after Conan. Did anyone else notice it? It's back up now though.
post #999 of 1419 Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 AM

Just got my new Samsung LCD a few weeks back, and got my DirecTV HD upgrade installed last Friday. Purchased an OTA (Phillips indoor) antenna and set it up on Sunday morning in hopes of catching the Viking game in HD on KTTW.

I was able to get all the other local channels in HD at 80% strength plus. However, KTTW (17.1) registered 0 signal strength no matter where I moved the antenna.

I live on the east side of Sioux Falls (in town). KSFY-DT and KELO-DT are at 97 degrees and KDLT is at 107 degrees from my address. KTTW is at 221 degrees, so it's 124 degrees off from the "furthest" other networks. One thing that complicates the situation is a large maple tree that is in the direction of the KTTW tower.

I returned the Phillips OTA antenna yesterday and stopped at Best Buy to ask them about KTTW. The person I spoke with stated that mine is not an uncommon occurrence in the Sioux Falls market, being able to receive all local HD channels except KTTW. Is it because of the disparity in the location of the broadcast towers?

I'm trying to decide on my next step(s) as I really would like to receive ALL of the locals in HD, especially since I'm a big Viking fan and after watching the Monday Night Football game last night on ESPNHD, there's no going back!

Here are what I perceive as my options. Please comment on them or add any that I'm missing (which is quite likely, since I'm not a big techie).

1) Find an indoor antenna that does pick up all locals in HD.

2) Find an outdoor antenna that does that.

3) Wait (hope) for DirecTV to get locals in HD added to its lineup in Sioux Falls.

Thanks in advance for any light you are able to shed on this situation.

Scott
post #1000 of 1419 Old 10-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Scott - Don't waste too much time trying to pick up KTTW 17.1. FCC site lists them at only 5 kW ERP. I've heard of others in SF that cannot pickup this station with much better antenna systems. Eventually, I think the FCC rules will require them to be much higher power (Feb '09?? deadline).

I would suggest you try option 1. Try pointing your antenna (I assume it is a directional unit) at Sioux City and try Fox KPTH 44.1 (also 14.1, 4.1 and 9.1 - and 2.1). I can get these (similar distance as you) pretty solid (except 9.1) using just an indoor 'silver sensor' directional table top antenna pointed out the window. With this you should be able to still pick up the high power SF digitals 11.1, 13.1, 46.1 ( & 23.1?). That would give you all the major networks OTA then.
post #1001 of 1419 Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 PM

No one else besides kesslerm and myself noticing any problems with KSFY DT?
post #1002 of 1419 Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 PM

I am not able to pull in KSFY DT on any of my receivers. It was working fine last night but nothing today.

Britney
post #1003 of 1419 Old 10-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdieren View Post

Scott - Don't waste too much time trying to pick up KTTW 17.1. FCC site lists them at only 5 kW ERP. I've heard of others in SF that cannot pickup this station with much better antenna systems. Eventually, I think the FCC rules will require them to be much higher power (Feb '09?? deadline).

A couple of months ago I was told that KTTW would have their digital channel at full power by the beginning of '08. I don't know what "full power" is for them but I hope that it is an improvement over what they currently have.

Britney
post #1004 of 1419 Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 PM

I am receiving ksfy at the moment. Whats your equipment?
post #1005 of 1419 Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben L C View Post

I am receiving ksfy at the moment. Whats your equipment?

KSFY is back for me too. It came back for me late this afternoon. I have a Sylvania external tuner, a tuner in a Sony tv and a couple of Fusion5 PCI tuners in my HTPC.

Britney
post #1006 of 1419 Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 AM

I live outside of Norfolk, NE and with my Channel Master 4228 can receive KTIV, KMEG, and KPTM digital signals most of the time. My problem is that I can't get a strong enough signal for KCAU and I understand they are at full power now, but transmit from a different location than the others. The Channel Master 4228 is a UHF antenna, do I need a VHF antenna in order to receive the OTA signal from KCAU.
post #1007 of 1419 Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 PM

KCAU is now transmitting from the same location as the other Sioux City stations. All digital stations in this area are UHF so you don't need any other antenna. I think if you had a CM amplifier (7777 / 7775) that would take care of your problem.
post #1008 of 1419 Old 10-18-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post

I live outside of Norfolk, NE and with my Channel Master 4228 can receive KTIV, KMEG, and KPTM digital signals most of the time. My problem is that I can't get a strong enough signal for KCAU and I understand they are at full power now, but transmit from a different location than the others. The Channel Master 4228 is a UHF antenna, do I need a VHF antenna in order to receive the OTA signal from KCAU.

If KCAU is at full power, they seem to be lacking some serius power compared to the other guys. I still have not been able to lock in a signal from them.

I was working on an antenna in Okoboji this week. I am able to pull in KSFY and KDLT using an Antenna Direct DB4. The signal was very stable on an older Samsung 360. I have since ordered an Antennas Direct XG91 which should give me the needed gain to lock all of Sioux Falls in strong. Very exciting. That is well over 70 miles.
post #1009 of 1419 Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 PM

KCAU is at full power, albiet a toughie too pull in. I have been able to get a lock on it in the past way up here in the far NW corner of IA. And just to back up with what crcbsjh and cdieren are saying about KTTW; they are currently broadcasting with 22 watts of power (digital) off of their current KTTW analog (which, by contrast, is 175kW) tower in SW Sioux Falls. Right now they have a construction permit to broadcast at 5 kW on a tower near Rowena SD (where KDLT,KSFY, and KELO broadcast from). Who knows when that may be turned on.

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #1010 of 1419 Old 10-19-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltsy855 View Post

KCAU is now transmitting from the same location as the other Sioux City stations. All digital stations in this area are UHF so you don't need any other antenna. I think if you had a CM amplifier (7777 / 7775) that would take care of your problem.

I failed to mention that I do have a CM amplifier on my antenna. It is the CM 7775 / 7777, but I forget which. I know here in Norfolk we are about reaching the maximum distance that an antenna can reach. Is there any other antenna that anyone would suggest that might make the difference in pulling in KCAU's signal.
post #1011 of 1419 Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 AM

I live in Sioux City - which is about 85 miles from the towers in Sioux Falls. When I purchased my HD set 3 years ago, Sioux Falls was the only nearby city with HD broadcasts. I purchased the same antenna and amp as yours, and after a LOT of tweaking the exact rotation of the antenna, I was able to reliably receive the Sioux Falls stations. My friend in the foothills outside of Denver had the same kind of experience - he said that aiming the antenna is a game of inches. Your antenna is HIGHLY directional, and a nudge of a degree or two can make a huge difference. Go up on the roof with your crescent wrench and a cell phone and call someone inside to watch the signal strength meter on your setup to see if you can nudge a better signal.

If there were substantial hills or buildings between us, I doubt that would have been possible. But where I live high in the hills in Sioux City, it was possible. Your mileage may vary.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #1012 of 1419 Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 AM

I switched from CableOne in Sioux City to DirecTV, and re-aimed my antenna to pick up the local Sioux City channels. When I explained to the installer that I wanted my antenna fed to each TV in addition to the satellite signal, he said that was nuts, because the Sioux City stations were scheduled to be uploaded to the satellite, and would soon be available on DirecTV.

Has anyone else heard this -- or was my installer blowing smoke?

post #1013 of 1419 Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

I switched from CableOne in Sioux City to DirecTV, and re-aimed my antenna to pick up the local Sioux City channels. When I explained to the installer that I wanted my antenna fed to each TV in addition to the satellite signal, he said that was nuts, because the Sioux City stations were scheduled to be uploaded to the satellite, and would soon be available on DirecTV.

I talked to a guy at KMEG last week and he said that they have had no talks b/w Directv and themselves on putting their signal onto Directv.

I think the installer did not want to do more work for himself. I hope he is right though!!!!
post #1014 of 1419 Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 PM

D* has no plans to add our locals anytime soon. The installer doesn't know what hes talking about. OTA is better picture anyways.
post #1015 of 1419 Old 10-20-2007, 06:37 AM

One thing to keep in mind, is that the new Directv HD receivers, H21 and HR21 will not have an over the air antenna input on it. I am not sure how long the H20 and HR20 will be around, but if you need to upgrade to MPEG4, I would do it sooner than later.
post #1016 of 1419 Old 10-20-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I'm sitll having problems with KSFY. The signal strength keeps dropping off, so I can not maintain a picture. Posts on the previous page about this subject, shows that KSFY is aware of this problem, but that was a month ago. Apparently this podunk station doesn't care and still has not fixed the problem. Time to write them to demand a waiver.
post #1017 of 1419 Old 10-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I'm sitll having problems with KSFY. The signal strength keeps dropping off, so I can not maintain a picture. Posts on the previous page about this subject, shows that KSFY is aware of this problem, but that was a month ago. Apparently this podunk station doesn't care and still has not fixed the problem. Time to write them to demand a waiver.

I am not sure it is them. Everybody I know 40 miles out is watching Florida with no problem. I have had 1 dropout and that was a while back. Have you tried to rescan your channels back in. I was having problems with 4-1. After resetting my locals a few times they have finally stuck.

Good luck with the waivers!!
post #1018 of 1419 Old 10-20-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

I would say that since they don't offer local channels in SD yet, that it will be a LONG time before they offer them in HD. Dish Network currently offers locals in SD and they were guessing it would be around 6 months before they switched them over to HD in our size of market, though they were pretty sure it would be available.

--

Anthony
post #1019 of 1419 Old 10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know why KTTW is not broadcasting the NFL games in HD today? I'm getting their digital signal just fine, but no HD picture.
post #1020 of 1419 Old 10-21-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben L C View Post

I am not sure it is them. Everybody I know 40 miles out is watching Florida with no problem. I have had 1 dropout and that was a while back. Have you tried to rescan your channels back in. I was having problems with 4-1. After resetting my locals a few times they have finally stuck.

Good luck with the waivers!!

I have re-scanned several times with no luck. I get all of the other digital channels fine, including some of the Sioux City stations. I live on the southeast side of Sioux Falls so I know I am close to the KSFY tower. KSFY use to be one of the strongest signals, now I can not get a continuous lock on it.

Husker on 9/21 posted this from KSFY: "I just wanted to get back in touch with you on this matter. We have discovered a power drop-off problem with our digital transmitter and are in the process of renting the necessary test equipment to help us resolve the issue. thank you for contacting us on this and for your patience in this matter."

So I doubt it is my reciever, and I started having at the same time as the above posts in September.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page