Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 37 - AVS Forum
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV
BVfan's Avatar BVfan 02:11 PM 02-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post

Hi BVFan - glad to see there are a few Sioux Falls posts here!

How high is your rooftop antenna?? I'm 5 miles south of Brandon and have been debating a rooftop antenna - for FOX. I already have an existing mast with nothing on it.

I'm new to OTA - do the Sioux City stations come in clearly?? Are they all UHF??

Thanks,

Wyatt,

sorry about the slow response. Haven't been here for a while. I live 1 mile east of the east Walmart with good southern exposure (no trees) I have a 6 foot mast on top of a one story house.

SC stations are all UHF. I'm using a channel master 4428 I bought online. I get 65-75% signal on most stations. Older HD OTA tuners have more issues trying to tune stations than newer ones in my experience.

BVfan's Avatar BVfan 02:21 PM 02-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nace33 View Post

I have a question about QAM signals. I currently have an older model, Elgato Hybrid HDTV Tuner that doesn't have QAM capability. The new Hybrid does. Does this mean that if I upgrade my tuner to the one with QAM capability that I will be able to pull down Universal, ESPN and other stations?

Secondly, KTTW. I live in the southern part of Sioux Falls and I cannot get a KTTW HD signal. There are no trees or other obstructions. What a joke. Anyone have any news on whether or not KTTW is going to join the other stations?

Just speaking about Midco SF - Only QAM you can get is the locals that are in the clear. ESPN etc are encrypted and you would need some type of cable device to get them - box or smart card.

As for KTTW going full power - who knows - They have a construction permit and have a tower built over by the KDLT tower - just no transmitter on it.
Nace33's Avatar Nace33 03:47 PM 02-21-2008
Thanks BVFan.

I wrote an email to johnb@kttw.com, an engineer, about three days ago. I have yet to receive a response. I'll let everyone know if I hear anything from him.
COLAVSFANINNWIA's Avatar COLAVSFANINNWIA 07:57 PM 02-21-2008
2 things posted on the FCC website that may shed some light on KTTW DT. Posted Feb 14 2008 they did apply to modify their original constuction permit from 7.5 kW to 5kW however, raise the height from 217.6m to 327.6m on the same tower as KDLT. And just posted today Feb 21 2008 they expect to start constructing 05/01/2008 and (as of right now) the current constructed deadline (that can always be extended) is 05/18/2008.

"IT IS HOPED THAT THE STATION'S POST-TRANSITION FACILITIES WILL BE CONSTRUCTED AND IN FULL OPERATION WELL BEFORE THE TRANSITION DATE. ON THE TRANSITION DATE, THE LICENSEE INTENDS TO CEASE OPERATION OF ITS ANALOG FACILITIES."

So when can we expect full power KTTW DT? If KTTW can only hope, I guess we can only hope.

~ColAvsFan
BVfan's Avatar BVfan 02:31 PM 02-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

2 things posted on the FCC website that may shed some light on KTTW DT posted Feb 14 2008 they did apply to modify their original constuction permit from 7.5 kW to 5kW however, raise the height from 217.6m to 327.6m on the same tower as KDLT. And just posted today Feb 21 2008 they expect to start constructing 05/01/2008 and (as of right now) the current constructed deadline (that can always be extended) is 05/18/2008.

"IT IS HOPED THAT THE STATION'S POST-TRANSITION FACILITIES WILL BE CONSTRUCTED AND IN FULL OPERATION WELL BEFORE THE TRANSITION DATE. ON THE TRANSITION DATE, THE LICENSEE INTENDS TO CEASE OPERATION OF ITS ANALOG FACILITIES."

So when can we expect full power KTTW DT? If KTTW can only hope, I guess we can only hope.

~ColAvsFan

Hey -- Great research ColAvsFan,

I wonder if there was a problem with the original tower site. There is a tower west of the KDLT tower with no transmitter on top. If I am remembering correctly there are three towers just east of Gitchimaniteau -- The taller of the three is KDLT - then two more just west of it - I think the other shorter tower is the channel 36 transmitter. Correct me if I'm wrong.
SBLer's Avatar SBLer 05:43 PM 02-24-2008
I have LongLines cable and a Philips HDTV with a QAM tuner built in. Does anyone know what all HD channels longlines cable is supposed to pass thru for free? Any music channels?
snowmanhow's Avatar snowmanhow 03:26 PM 03-09-2008
Does anyone know what happened to KSFY-HD? It disappeared a few days ago, and has been MIA since. I don't see any signal level from it at all.
brfransen's Avatar brfransen 07:59 AM 03-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanhow View Post

Does anyone know what happened to KSFY-HD? It disappeared a few days ago, and has been MIA since. I don't see any signal level from it at all.

I noticed that it was gone this weekend as well and it is still gone this morning.

Britney
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 08:23 AM 03-10-2008
Quote:

Actually, another test engineer at my company emailed KSFY about their OTA digital signal, because we use it for testing our decoders. This was their reply:

"Our digital transmitter has developed a serious problem. We have people working on it, but it will probably be a couple of days or more before the problem can be repaired.

KSFY Television"

This was sent to us last Thursday.

Good Luck!
BVfan's Avatar BVfan 12:57 PM 03-15-2008
For everyone having problems with KSFY.... If you have a clear shot at the Hinton IA towers, you may be able to pick up KCAU Sioux City in the mean time. I can pick up all the SC stations with an indoor RCA antenna. Just east of SF and I have a clear horizon to SC. This solves the low power SF FOX problem also.
BVfan's Avatar BVfan 01:30 PM 03-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLAVSFANINNWIA View Post

Hmm well i have the same package as you (i think), but i put in a splitter from the wall, one into my tv input which says it has a QAM tuner, and the other into my HD DVR box but my T.V. does not recognize any digital channels ( i am specifically trying channels 84 and 109) it just switches back over to analog cable after trying for a digital signal...

I read in another thread that you have to make sure your splitter will pass the higher frequencies that the digital signals are on. I guess you need a splitter that passes 1000 Mhz? not up to 900 like most old splitters do.

Maybe that is an issue?

I just looked at an old splitter I was going to use and it passes signals up to only 600 Mhz.
rengel's Avatar rengel 02:40 PM 03-30-2008
I live about 50 miles west of Sioux City, I get KTIV in HD just fine, about 70 on my dish network HD receiver, but I can't get KMEG in to watch the basketball tourney? What gives? I can't get the signal pointing my antenna in any direction, any help? Thanks
BVfan's Avatar BVfan 05:46 PM 03-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rengel View Post

I live about 50 miles west of Sioux City, I get KTIV in HD just fine, about 70 on my dish network HD receiver, but I can't get KMEG in to watch the basketball tourney? What gives? I can't get the signal pointing my antenna in any direction, any help? Thanks

Maybe your receiver is not mapping it right. Try to scan manually -- if DISH does that. I am further out than you and my channel I have difficulties with is KPTH FOX. Have you looked at anntenaweb.org map to do a site survery?
ireland12's Avatar ireland12 08:08 PM 03-30-2008
I found the problems with PBS with having the amplified antenna. I unplugged it and the signal doesn't bounce. The only problem with that is if I unplug it I can't get 36-1 or distant feeds to come in. (Live in Sioux Falls) I also bought a HD 2 Analog converter at best buy for my 19 HTDV "ready" anyways the locals look sharp on it even though there not HD on that TV. So the only thing Sioux Falls needs is the Fox Station and I will be set. By the way the converter was 59.99 at best buy. I used a 10% off coupon for almost anything there (found on the internet) and also my 40.00 coupon from the goverment. It was very easy to use and the tuner works great. I have DTV with out locals and talked them on giving me a AM21 for my (HR21) when it is released for my big Plasma TV (HD built in Panasonic 42 in) to record locals. Hope that pulls in good HD channels with it's tuner.

Last but not least why does Fox not respond to e-mails here in Sioux Falls. They are pushing consumer education but anyone that goes out to by these Converter boxes would loose that station entirely unless they unplugged the box to get the analog signal. GET ON THE BALL KTTW. Football will be here soon and they will be loosing viewers if they don't get on the ball.
snowmanhow's Avatar snowmanhow 06:30 AM 03-31-2008
For everyone having trouble with Fox (KTTW) in Sioux Falls. They are currently running flea-sized power from the tower near 69th and Louise, and they are on Channel 7. If you only have a UHF antenna, you will not be able to pick them up. I live in the SW part of town, so I aimed my rooftop antenna a little south of Rowena, and I'm able to pick up Fox without a problem. Unfortunately, if you live in central or Eastern Sioux Falls, you would probably have to aim your antenna directly at the tower to pick it up, and you would loose other channels like PBS and the CW.

Based on their FCC filings, they are planning to move to the same tower as KWSD (CW). The good news is that antenna aiming will finally be in the same direction, except for PBS. Hopefully they will complete this sooner rather than later, but it will take a little while to construct a transmitter building and install the antenna and feedline.
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 10:24 AM 03-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

I read in another thread that you have to make sure your splitter will pass the higher frequencies that the digital signals are on. I guess you need a splitter that passes 1000 Mhz? not up to 900 like most old splitters do.

Maybe that is an issue?

I just looked at an old splitter I was going to use and it passes signals up to only 600 Mhz.

If you are receiving OTA digital TV or Cable QAM signals, you do not need splitters above 900 MHz. OTA digital signals, channels 2-69, run 57 MHz- 803MHz. Cable QAM channels run 2-136 (57MHz-867MHz).

Satellite such as DirecTV or DISH use different modulation schemes are run in higher frequency ranges. But if you have either of those services, the tech that installed it used the right type of splitters.

Cable internet needs a higher frequency range I believe, but not sure the exact numbers there. The cable installer knows that though and would have fixed that problem.

Good Luck!
Husker's Avatar Husker 02:55 PM 03-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 View Post

"Our digital transmitter has developed a serious problem. We have people working on it, but it will probably be a couple of days or more before the problem can be repaired.

KSFY Television"

Typical. "couple of days or more" has turned into 3 weeks. Hopefully it will be fixed by football season.
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 03:38 PM 03-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post

Typical. "couple of days or more" has turned into 3 weeks. Hopefully it will be fixed by football season.

Actually, we had signal back last week. Pretty sure at least. I'll have to make sure, but I thought it was there. Now, I can't say right now, since it has been since probably thursday since I had it tuned in last.
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 03:39 PM 03-31-2008
wow, that's a lotta "since"s....

BVfan's Avatar BVfan 05:25 PM 03-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 View Post

If you are receiving OTA digital TV or Cable QAM signals, you do not need splitters above 900 MHz. OTA digital signals, channels 2-69, run 57 MHz- 803MHz. Cable QAM channels run 2-136 (57MHz-867MHz).

Satellite such as DirecTV or DISH use different modulation schemes are run in higher frequency ranges. But if you have either of those services, the tech that installed it used the right type of splitters.

Cable internet needs a higher frequency range I believe, but not sure the exact numbers there. The cable installer knows that though and would have fixed that problem.

Good Luck!

FoeHammer - Thanks for the info - Good for my brain database. I guess my old splitter that went to 600 was for OTA analog signal. I think most you buy today do go up to 1000. Maybe that is where they put the internet signal.
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 01:52 AM 04-01-2008
Guys,

I did some measurements last night on our OTA signal coming from KSFY-DT.

power level was fine in the 7-10 dBm, but the MER (like signal to noise ratio) was down around 16-17 dB. That's pretty low. As an example, on the same line I checked KELO-DT and it's MER was up around 37 dB.

Needless to say the picture was getting pixelated quite a bit and had macro-blocking as compared to KELO-DT. I would say they are still having some issues.
Husker's Avatar Husker 03:04 PM 04-01-2008
It looks like the same problem we reported in September.

"Is anyone else noticing a signal strength drop in KSFY-DT? It used to be the same strong signal as KELO and KDLT on my display...right at 90-100%. Now it bounces b/w 40-50-60% and there are noticeable glitches in the HD programming. "

It was "fixed" for awhile and the signal was back at full strength. Been bad for awhile again now.

Also, kudos to KMEG for no sub channels. Their NCAA games look much better than KELO...especially the slow-mo and replays that KELO's worthless sub channels turn into garbage. KMEG sound is not as good but I'll take the better picture anyday.
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 07:25 AM 04-02-2008
Quote:

Also, kudos to KMEG for no sub channels. Their NCAA games look much better than KELO...especially the slow-mo and replays that KELO's worthless sub channels turn into garbage. KMEG sound is not as good but I'll take the better picture anyday.

You should send them a letter or comment regarding this. That way they see that people appreciate that.

TREVOR
Husker's Avatar Husker 01:33 PM 04-08-2008
Was flipping thru the channels and Wheel of Fortune was in HD on KMEG-DT. This was the first syndicated show I've seen in HD on either the Sioux City or Sioux Falls stations.
BVfan's Avatar BVfan 04:13 PM 04-11-2008
Quote:

Was flipping thru the channels and Wheel of Fortune was in HD on KMEG-DT. This was the first syndicated show I've seen in HD on either the Sioux City or Sioux Falls stations.

And I believe someone reported Jeoprady on KMEG a few pages back. That is on like at 5:00 I think.
AthieN's Avatar AthieN 05:20 PM 04-13-2008
Quote:

For everyone having trouble with Fox (KTTW) in Sioux Falls. They are currently running flea-sized power from the tower near 69th and Louise, and they are on Channel 7. If you only have a UHF antenna, you will not be able to pick them up. I live in the SW part of town, so I aimed my rooftop antenna a little south of Rowena, and I'm able to pick up Fox without a problem. Unfortunately, if you live in central or Eastern Sioux Falls, you would probably have to aim your antenna directly at the tower to pick it up, and you would loose other channels like PBS and the CW.

Based on their FCC filings, they are planning to move to the same tower as KWSD (CW). The good news is that antenna aiming will finally be in the same direction, except for PBS. Hopefully they will complete this sooner rather than later, but it will take a little while to construct a transmitter building and install the antenna and feedline.

I live near on the 3rd floor of an apartment building near 12th and Cliff and have a TERK amplified antenna that has an output impedance 75 ohms and an amplified gain of 11dB typical. My apartment pretty much faces the tower's location but even taking the antenna outside and pointing it directly at it doesn't work for me.

It seriously "TERK's" me off!!

Does anyone have any suggestions that would work for me until they get around to "fixing" this issue? Is there an antenna (preferably an indoor model) that is powerful enough to pick up their weak arse signal that anyone knows of?

What doesn't make sense to me, is why the company who's analog channel is the easiest to pick up in town, decided to go and do something craptacular like this and make their digital one the hardest!!

It's a buncha crap yo!
snowmanhow's Avatar snowmanhow 07:38 AM 04-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthieN View Post

I live near on the 3rd floor of an apartment building near 12th and Cliff and have a TERK amplified antenna that has an output impedance 75 ohms and an amplified gain of 11dB typical. My apartment pretty much faces the tower's location but even taking the antenna outside and pointing it directly at it doesn't work for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would work for me until they get around to "fixing" this issue? Is there an antenna (preferably an indoor model) that is powerful enough to pick up their weak arse signal that anyone knows of?

What doesn't make sense to me, is why the company who's analog channel is the easiest to pick up in town, decided to go and do something craptacular like this and make their digital one the hardest!!

It's a buncha crap yo!

If you live near 12th and Cliff, then you are pretty much in a hole, shadowed from the tower. I'm not really sure why 17 is the easiest for you to pickup, although your antenna most likely performs better at UHF than VHF. You may be having trouble with others due to multipath, even though the signal is strong. The fact that your antenna is amplified may also hurt you more than it helps, for a lot of reasons.

Unfortunately, I would say nothing short of an outdoor gain (with VHF) antenna pointed toward the KTTW tower will allow you to receive their digital signal until they get their new site up and operational. You could try other antennas, particularly ones that are not amplified. However, the issue is having good gain and sensitivity at VHF-HI frequencies. Although it is not as bad as VHF-LOW, this is still much more difficult than at UHF frequencies, particularly with space and indoor limitations.
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 08:31 AM 04-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthieN View Post

It's a buncha crap yo!

Here's something I pulled off the FCC website regarding KTTW out of Sioux Falls. There just isn't a way for almost ANYONE in Sioux Falls to pick up their signal. I know people that are 1/2 mile from the tower and they can't get it.
So stop trying. It won't work. It sucks. See the power level below. Full power at that frequency is 65KW, not 7.5KW.

KTTW SD SIOUX FALLS USA (Digital)

Licensee: INDEPENDENT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
Service Designation: DT Digital television station

Channel: 7 174 - 180 MHz Modification of Construction Permit
File No.: BMPCDT-20080213ACH Facility ID number: 28521
CDBS Application ID No.: 1230159

43° 30' 19.00" N Latitude
96° 34' 19.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H)
Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 7.5 kW ERP
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 217.6 meters HAAT -- Calculate HAAT
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 645.9 meters AMSL
Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 233.8 meters AGL

TV Zone: 2
Frequency Offset: 0 (zero)

Directional Antenna ID No.: 84679 Pattern Rotation: 280.00
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 08:34 AM 04-14-2008
Here's the website at the FCC if you want to do searches on any station in the US. I just use the call letters and hit submit. That's plenty to find the station you want.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

Later
Foe
AthieN's Avatar AthieN 09:28 AM 04-14-2008
Quote:

If you live near 12th and Cliff, then you are pretty much in a hole, shadowed from the tower. I'm not really sure why 17 is the easiest for you to pickup, although your antenna most likely performs better at UHF than VHF. You may be having trouble with others due to multipath, even though the signal is strong. The fact that your antenna is amplified may also hurt you more than it helps, for a lot of reasons.

Unfortunately, I would say nothing short of an outdoor gain (with VHF) antenna pointed toward the KTTW tower will allow you to receive their digital signal until they get their new site up and operational. You could try other antennas, particularly ones that are not amplified. However, the issue is having good gain and sensitivity at VHF-HI frequencies. Although it is not as bad as VHF-LOW, this is still much more difficult than at UHF frequencies, particularly with space and indoor limitations.

Yea, I was afraid of that. Man, my girl is gonna be pi$$ed that she's not gonna be able to get her American Idol in HD until sometime in May!!

Thanks for the good info btw. I really appreciate the reply and tips and will give em a shot...

I do have one more question and forgive me for sounding like a twit, but I was wondering if it was possible to use two different antennas - one pointed in one direction and the other in another and use a combiner of some sort to bring the signals together? I guess if I'm gonna have to go to all this trouble trying to get their signal, I would still like to be able to get the others as well...

Thanks again!!
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop