Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1416 Old 06-04-2008, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently moved to Sioux Falls and signed up for the standard cable service. I have a QAM tuner in my TV and pickup the local stations they pass through and a few others. On their website and channel line sheet they give you, it show that channels 98,99, 28,41 and 66 require a digital receiver to view them. I can get 98 and 99 but they are actually 98.1 and 98.4. I would expect to get 28,41 and 66 but do not. What are others experiencing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1416 Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmroskam View Post

I have recently moved to Sioux Falls and signed up for the standard cable service. I have a QAM tuner in my TV and pickup the local stations they pass through and a few others. On their website and channel line sheet they give you, it show that channels 98,99, 28,41 and 66 require a digital receiver to view them. I can get 98 and 99 but they are actually 98.1 and 98.4. I would expect to get 28,41 and 66 but do not. What are others experiencing?

The digital tuners I use in the lab do not follow Midco's channel re-mapping and such as seen on DTV's. Mine go by their frequency channel numbers which I included below. The only digital channels that I know of from Midco that are in the clear are:
KDLT-DT (NBC) (80-1)
PBS-SD (80-3)
KDLT-Weather Plus (80-4)
PBS-HD (80-2)
KSFY-DT (ABC) (81)
Midco PPV/OnDemand Ads channel (84)
KELO-DT (CBS) (116-1)
KELO-Weather Now (116-3)
MyUTV (116-2)
KTTW (FOX) (116-4)

We may have missed the other ones that Midco shows because we hit on these most often. Now the other caveat here is that Midco may be indicating you need THEIR digital receiver to receive those channels and they are encrypted. Not sure.

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #1143 of 1416 Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmroskam View Post

I checked with a standard DTV tuner here and I get the same results as you.

My tuner actually picked up a BUNCH of other digital channels, but when you tune to them it shows them as "unavailable". Since Midco remaps their channels, 28, 41 and 66 could be remapped to three of these other digital channels. I didn't want to go through all of them looking for a signal though.

post #1144 of 1416 Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullin View Post

We have been having a devil of a problem with the digital reception at our home with KCAU and KSIN in Sioux City. The signal breaks up intermittently - and I have noticed a DIRECT relationship with the automobile traffic going by my home and the breakups in the picture.

Sunday morning when there was very little traffic on Cheyenne Boulevard, my reception of KCAU-DT was perfect. Then when a car drove by the picture broke up for a moment, then was perfect. A couple of minutes later when another car drove by the same thing happened. Later in the day when traffic picked up to its normal level of busy, the picture broke up quite a bit. In the evening when there are fewer vehicles, there are fewer breakups. I can sit there with my front door open to hear and see the cars go by, and exactly when a car goes by the picture breaks up for a moment.

Perhaps I need a different antenna (I have a large Channel Master 4228 from when I had to get the signal from Sioux Falls) or crank down the amplifier. I have been thinking of changing antennas to a small omnidirectional antenna for local Sioux City stations. Ideas??

PS: My wife reminds me that we also tried a very highly-rated indoor non-amplified UHF antenna and had the same result. I tried the indoor antenna on two different digital receivers and watched the signal meter drop each time a vehicle passed our home.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=traffic

I thought I saw something in the HDTV Technical forum back awhile about this issue so I searched on traffic and came up with this. Don't know if it will help.

On another note - as I have stated before - I am close to the Rowena towers. I have better luck tuning in Sioux City CBS 14-1 and ABC 9-1 than I do my SF stations. I'm using the same ChannelMaster antenna as you because I need to get FOX 44. I think multipath must be an issue when you are trying to receive the close channels on such a big antenna.
post #1145 of 1416 Old 06-09-2008, 04:50 PM

BVfan:

Excellent information - the first I have ever seen on my problem. There are several links on that thread that take me to even more depth. I think I know how to fix this now. Thank you for taking the time to find the link for me.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #1146 of 1416 Old 06-12-2008, 07:02 PM

Anyone else having troubles with KSFY tonight (13.1). I am watching Game 4 of the NBA Finals and the picture is pixelating something terrible! Signal strength is fine, but major pixeling going on....
post #1147 of 1416 Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 AM

I was seeing the exact same problem with KSFY-DT, so they must have a problem somewhere. That's not a good problem to have during the NBA finals!

Incidentally, I was also having problems with Fox KTTW-DT. I appeared to be getting signal strength, but the TV would not decode it. I tried deleting and searching for the channel, but it was not able to decode it and add the channel either.
post #1148 of 1416 Old 06-14-2008, 08:23 AM

CableOne in Sioux City has added three new HD channels. 423 - History Channel HD, 425 - Discovery HD and 428 - The Learning Channel HD. I can get them on my TV's with a cable box and cablecard, but not with the sets with digital qam tuners. Has anyone been able to get them with their digital tuners?
post #1149 of 1416 Old 06-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanhow View Post

I was seeing the exact same problem with KSFY-DT, so they must have a problem somewhere. That's not a good problem to have during the NBA finals!

Incidentally, I was also having problems with Fox KTTW-DT. I appeared to be getting signal strength, but the TV would not decode it. I tried deleting and searching for the channel, but it was not able to decode it and add the channel either.

If you have MIDCO cable, I have also been seeing more of this lately from the digital KELO, KSFY, and KTTW stations. Either pixelated, shuttering, or just no picture w/100% signal. KDLT and PBS never seem to have those problems.
post #1150 of 1416 Old 06-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I was looking at this site today - http://www.rabbitears.info/dtr.php

Sioux Falls is DMA#114 - Sioux City is #143

After the transition on 2/17/09, KELO and KSFY which are on UHF 29 & 32 now are reverting to 11 and 13 and FOX will still be on 7 (hopefully at full power by then). Looks like my UHF antenna won't be any good to receive those OTA after that date. Thinking I may want to plan ahead and not be on my roof in February.

Looks like in SC just KCAU which is on UHF -30 is going back to VHF - 9.

Does anyone have an idea of how high of a VHF channel a person might expect to receive with a UHF antenna?

Found this antenna, but sure don't want to buy another if I don't have to... http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...D=HD-1080#MORE
post #1151 of 1416 Old 06-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

I was looking at this site today - http://www.rabbitears.info/dtr.php

Sioux Falls is DMA#114 - Sioux City is #143

After the transition on 2/17/09, KELO and KSFY which are on UHF 29 & 32 now are reverting to 11 and 13 and FOX will still be on 7 (hopefully at full power by then). Looks like my UHF antenna won't be any good to receive those OTA after that date. Thinking I may want to plan ahead and not be on my roof in February.

Looks like in SC just KCAU which is on UHF -30 is going back to VHF - 9.

Does anyone have an idea of how high of a VHF channel a person might expect to receive with a UHF antenna?

Found this antenna, but sure don't want to buy another if I don't have to... http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...D=HD-1080#MORE

With just a UHF antenna, you could expect to receive "no" VHF channels at all. Channel 13 stops at 216Mhz and Channel 14 starts at 470Mhz, so there is quite a spread. In reality though, it will depend on distance/signal strength and channel. The antenna may be somewhat resonant at certain VHF frequencies, but the bandwidth will be very narrow, and it will have dramatically less gain. If you are close enough to the towers however, you might receive them anyway with no problem at all.

A good experiment would be to see how well you can pick up the current analog signals on 9, 11, and 13. If they aren't at least watchable, then I would say you have no chance without a new antenna.

It's interesting that the antenna you referenced only covers down to channel 7, There are not many stations that will remain on channels 2-6 (none in SC & SF), but they are still valid channels. I wouldn't want to remain on 2-6 post-transition, if I was a TV station. The fact that antennas covering only 7-51/69 are being marketed only adds to that position, although this will vary by market.
post #1152 of 1416 Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temitch View Post

CableOne in Sioux City has added three new HD channels. 423 - History Channel HD, 425 - Discovery HD and 428 - The Learning Channel HD. I can get them on my TV's with a cable box and cablecard, but not with the sets with digital qam tuners. Has anyone been able to get them with their digital tuners?

Those digital channels are most likely encrypted. The only digital channels they cannot legally encrypt are the locals. Cable boxes from the cable company obviously have the decryption keys built in. If your TV has Cable-Card slots, then you could get a Cable-Card from your cable company to allow those TV's to decode the extra channels.
Good Luck
Foe

post #1153 of 1416 Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 View Post

Those digital channels are most likely encrypted. The only digital channels they cannot legally encrypt are the locals. Cable boxes from the cable company obviously have the decryption keys built in. If your TV has Cable-Card slots, then you could get a Cable-Card from your cable company to allow those TV's to decode the extra channels.
Good Luck
Foe

The new HD Channels are encrypted. They are at channels 74.423, 74.425 and 74.428. Cableone claims they are not supposed to be encrypted and it must be my tuner. Not likely since I receive all the other non-encrypted hd channels. Can someone with a digital tuner with CableOne service try the new channels?
post #1154 of 1416 Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:

The new HD Channels are encrypted. They are at channels 74.423, 74.425 and 74.428. Cableone claims they are not supposed to be encrypted and it must be my tuner. Not likely since I receive all the other non-encrypted hd channels. Can someone with a digital tuner with CableOne service try the new channels?

Hmmmmm.....I agree, they must be - I don't get these via the Cableone HDTV box ("not authorized") so I didn't even bother trying with my QAM tuner.
post #1155 of 1416 Old 06-26-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooper View Post

Hmmmmm.....I agree, they must be - I don't get these via the Cableone HDTV box ("not authorized") so I didn't even bother trying with my QAM tuner.

If what Cableone is telling me is correct you should be getting the new HD stations with your cable box. They have confirmed that the channels are encrypted but are part of the free HD tier. This will require a cable box or cable card to receive the channels. In my opinion free means not requiring extra equipment to receive the stations and using a qam tuner should pick them up. If you can't pick the stations up with your cable box I would call CableOne and see what the problem is.
post #1156 of 1416 Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

At my location the leaves on the trees cause enough of a disturbance in the digital signal that it is unwatchable when the wind is blowing. The analog ghosting on the UHF frequencies was always bad but it seems that it is bad enough that the digital signal cannot correct and just locks up and jumps. Does anyone else have problems with trees?

Bill
post #1157 of 1416 Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdotsd View Post

At my location the leaves on the trees cause enough of a disturbance in the digital signal that it is unwatchable when the wind is blowing. The analog ghosting on the UHF frequencies was always bad but it seems that it is bad enough that the digital signal cannot correct and just locks up and jumps. Does anyone else have problems with trees?

I don't have any problems with trees, but whenever the neighbor drives by with his tractor I lose the signal momentarily.
post #1158 of 1416 Old 07-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdotsd View Post

I used to be able to get FOX Sioux Falls - even with the low digital signal - but tree growth has made it unwatchable so I took down my big ugly 150 inch VHF antenna. Digital seems much touchier to any outside influence. I can get the Sioux City stations better than SF most days. I have a clear view of the Hinton towers 60 miles away, but have trees, etc toward the Rowena towers, only 6 miles away.

Seems like the best solution is a rooftop antenna with no obstructions, which is almost impossible in older, wooded neighborhoods.
post #1159 of 1416 Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 AM

I can get KCAU, KTIV-1/2(CW), CBS and all 3 PBS and IPTV channels but I have a tough time getting the Fox Channels. What type of antenna will I need? I live in Sioux City. My TV is a Zenith Z50PX2D w/ a built in tuner.
post #1160 of 1416 Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 PM

Hey all well i guess i hope i make my 1st post a good one. I live in Carroll, Ia and am looking into an antenna for souix city, or omaha for OTA, so it's about 80 miles am i stuck with my Des Moines ocals on satellite or would a Large multi antenna get me them western cities? PLus nice to have something else if satellite ever goes out during storms again. Hope this makes enough sense.
post #1161 of 1416 Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

My recommendation is a Channel Master 4228 with an antenna amplifier and a rotor. This antenna looks like an oven rack and is tuned for the UHF band. I was able to pull in the Sioux Falls HD signals for two years before we had HDTV ota from the Sioux City stations. Sioux Falls is 70 miles away.

Bill
post #1162 of 1416 Old 07-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:

If what Cableone is telling me is correct you should be getting the new HD stations with your cable box. They have confirmed that the channels are encrypted but are part of the free HD tier. This will require a cable box or cable card to receive the channels. In my opinion free means not requiring extra equipment to receive the stations and using a qam tuner should pick them up. If you can't pick the stations up with your cable box I would call CableOne and see what the problem is.

I see that now I get HISHD, DSCHD, and TLCHD via my box like you said but not on either of my QAM tuners so indeed its (still) encrypted. Btw, I also don't get A&EHD on either QAM tuner.
post #1163 of 1416 Old 07-28-2008, 04:42 PM

FYI..... DirecTV will be rolling out Sioux Falls local HD channels by the end of this year. Also, everything that is on the 72.5 satellite (reason for the second dish) will be moving and retransmitted in MPEG-4 (this will require a new receiver if you do not have one that supports MPEG-4). This will mean just one satellite on my house, YEAH! Just thought I would share this news.
post #1164 of 1416 Old 08-01-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFluth View Post

FYI..... DirecTV will be rolling out Sioux Falls local HD channels by the end of this year. Also, everything that is on the 72.5 satellite (reason for the second dish) will be moving and retransmitted in MPEG-4 (this will require a new receiver if you do not have one that supports MPEG-4). This will mean just one satellite on my house, YEAH! Just thought I would share this news.

According to this page on DirectTV's site (click on the "View upcoming HD local market launches" link) it will be in November. Yeah indeed!
post #1165 of 1416 Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM

Just wanted to give everyone an update from KTTW. I asked when the Rowena tower will be broadcasting. Here is the message from their chief engineer:

I don't know for sure because our transmitter manufacture keeps changing the delivery dated
Now it is last week of September 2008. So first part of October 2008.

John Bennett
Chief Engineer
KTTW & KTTM
2817 West 11th. Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57104

Phone: 605-338-0017 ext. 120
post #1166 of 1416 Old 08-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgar View Post

According to this page on DirectTV's site (click on the "View upcoming HD local market launches" link) it will be in November. Yeah indeed!

Thanks for the info. I am having 3 old HD receivers switched out on Friday the 22nd. The new ones don't have OTA receivers built in so I was wondering how long I was going to have to try to do some type of work around or even buy their add on OTA tuner.

BTW, D* is swapping out my 2 HD receivers and 1 HD-DVR free, installing the 5 LNB dish free, plus I asked for NFL SuperFan for free and got that also.
post #1167 of 1416 Old 08-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

No HD Olympics on KDLT again this Sunday AM. I called but do not have a number for the dept that could "flip the switch". Looks like KTIV wins again.

9:38 - went back to KDLT and was in HD.
post #1168 of 1416 Old 08-30-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I have noticed over the last week that KSFY has a problem with a sound lag time with the OTA signal. It is off by a few seconds. The picture is about 2 to 3 seconds behind the sound. Really annoying. I have tried rescanning the channels on my DTV box, but still the problem arises with the OTA signal. Doesn't do it on any other OTA HD channel. I have a Samsung SIR-TS160 DirecTV digital reciever.

I have an update after I wrote the station. This is what they sent me

"On Tuesday we replaced some of our older digital encoding equipment with
new. Since then we have received a handful of calls and emails stating
our picture is now black or audio problems. As we looked into each one,
we found the problems to this point have all been with RCA brand
converter boxes and 1 Visio television. For some reason they are unable
to relock to our signal on their own."
post #1169 of 1416 Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

IF/when we get DirecTV HD locals in Sioux Falls, does anyone know if one will be able to receive them on the new Slimline dish or will an addon dish have to be installed like there is for Std Def locals?
post #1170 of 1416 Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

I ran TSReader on KELO and KMEG during the US Open Tennis today. KMEG 14.1 is running at 18.64Mbps and KELO 11.1 is running at 15.43Mbps. So I was going to see if I could see a difference, but KMEG was not running in wide screen HD. Guess I'll wait until some football is on.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page