Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1424 Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

IF/when we get DirecTV HD locals in Sioux Falls, does anyone know if one will be able to receive them on the new Slimline dish or will an addon dish have to be installed like there is for Std Def locals?

DirecTV will carry Sioux Falls locals starting in November. The SD and HD channels will be moving from the 72.5 sat to the new D11 sat on 99c. The SD signal will also be changing to MPEG-4 which I believe will require the new receiver (not sure if they will still have MPEg-2) of not. The Slimline dish will work fine as it points to 99c. Until November the second dish is required to point at 72.5 (this satellite must be retired by DirecTV before the end of the year).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1424 Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 PM

any news on KTTW going full power?
post #1173 of 1424 Old 09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper3000 View Post

any news on KTTW going full power?

Drove by the tower today and no transmitter on top yet and nobody working out there. MLB League Championships are on FOX starting Oct 9th and World Series Oct 22nd.

Hopefully they will be transmitting soon. I really don't want to repoint/change my rooftop antenna - if I have to - when there is snow on the roof.
post #1174 of 1424 Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Drove by the tower today and no transmitter on top yet and nobody working out there. MLB League Championships are on FOX starting Oct 9th and World Series Oct 22nd.

Hopefully they will be transmitting soon. I really don't want to repoint/change my rooftop antenna - if I have to - when there is snow on the roof.

Taken from fcc.gov website on an application dated 09/24/2008 granting an extension on the construction permit that had expired on 08/18/2008.

"The antenna and transmission lines are scheduled to be installed at the new site on September 15, 2008, and the transmitter is scheduled to arrive between the last week of September and the first week of October. It is anticipated that KTTW-DT will be ready for operation by the middle of October.

Since grant of the Permit, Independent has worked diligently to construct the facilities at the new site, but requires an additional two months to complete construction. Although the station is expected to be operational by mid-October, out of an abundance of caution, Independent requests that the expiration of the Permit be extended until the end date of the transition, February 17, 2009."

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #1175 of 1424 Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM

KTTW not coming in again... Since Sunday (that's when I noticed) Fox is not coming in again. I have been getting a good signal for a couple months now point directly at the tower in Sioux Falls. Have they finally moved to there new location? Do I need to adjust my antenna?
post #1176 of 1424 Old 10-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFluth View Post

KTTW not coming in again... Since Sunday (that's when I noticed) Fox is not coming in again. I have been getting a good signal for a couple months now point directly at the tower in Sioux Falls. Have they finally moved to there new location? Do I need to adjust my antenna?

I still can't get it. Maybe try to rescan for it.

I would assume we would see a transmitter on their tower and there was still not one last week.
post #1177 of 1424 Old 10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would assume we would see a transmitter on their tower and there was still not one last week.

I had forgetten that they have abandoned that west tower and are going to be on the KDLT tower. I'll have to look at that one when I go by. Should I see two antennas on it?
post #1178 of 1424 Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For those of us along the Nebraska border in the SW portion of the Sioux Falls DMA, KMNE-TV Channel 7, Basset NE PBS has dropped their analog transmissions and are now only digital on channel 7, digital was channel 15. Excellent signal. I an 59 miles from their transmitter and receive them off the back of a cut channel 13 antenna. For those of you in the SE corner of SD, I see Norfolk, NE PBS is also going digital only in November.
post #1179 of 1424 Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM

From Brookings...this afternoon, for the first time, I am able to acquire a signal for KTTW-DT out of Sioux Falls. Channel 7 mapping to 17. Unfortunately, the strength of the signal is marginal (frequent breakup, pixelation, and loss of signal). I am hopeful that this will improve and FOX matches the signal strength from KELO/KDLT/KSFY, which we can pick up without a problem. Those of you closer to the tower should have better luck. Thanks for keeping this thread going. It's been a long three years in the waiting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Vikings in HD this weekend!
post #1180 of 1424 Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandd View Post

From Brookings...this afternoon, for the first time, I am able to acquire a signal for KTTW-DT out of Sioux Falls. Channel 7 mapping to 17. Unfortunately, the strength of the signal is marginal (frequent breakup, pixelation, and loss of signal). I am hopeful that this will improve and FOX matches the signal strength from KELO/KDLT/KSFY, which we can pick up without a problem. Those of you closer to the tower should have better luck. Thanks for keeping this thread going. It's been a long three years in the waiting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Vikings in HD this weekend!

Not fair... a guy with his first post beats me to the punch.... Just kidding ..

I was setting up an old DirecTV receiver tonight to receive my HD channels and lo and behold .. Ch 7 popped up .. and I think no way .. KTTW is up .. for now .. I'm too close to the transmitter to give any good feedback

I cried wolf before so I am going to go set up all my receivers before I believe it.
post #1181 of 1424 Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

I scanned it into all 5 of my receivers (2 PCs). It is definitely there. World Series on. I have UHF only antennas. A square ChannelMaster 4228 and a regular long UHF rated for longer range. Both are receiving channel 7. I am only about 5 miles from the transmitter though.
post #1182 of 1424 Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM

20 Miles north of Sioux Falls. Can't receive KTTW

UpStreamDown
post #1183 of 1424 Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM

I am 32 miles east of the KDLT tower and am picking up KTTW perfectly.
post #1184 of 1424 Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Here is their published coverage map at the FCC site.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1230159.html

This is channel 7 so some may need a VHF antenna to pick it up.
post #1185 of 1424 Old 10-23-2008, 07:17 PM

I also noticed that this channel was back, although worse than what it was. I am pointing straight south with my antenna, was hoping I would not have to change it when they moved, but appears that I might. I get the Sioux City locals with my antenna the way it is.. will probably lose those when I adjust. Maybe they are still tweaking and the signal will get better.
post #1186 of 1424 Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFluth View Post

I also noticed that this channel was back, although worse than what it was. I am pointing straight south with my antenna, was hoping I would not have to change it when they moved, but appears that I might. I get the Sioux City locals with my antenna the way it is.. will probably lose those when I adjust. Maybe they are still tweaking and the signal will get better.

Maybe try some type of indoor antenna combined with your outdoor if you want to keep getting SC. I'm kind of in the same boat only I have a hard time getting KSFY with the way I point. Not sure why as KELO comes in good.

I like getting SC because KELO especially is notorious for knocking out prime time programming for a KELO weather show or full time tornado alert or healthshow or the other night the local US sentaor non-debate. Sometimes two different football games on Saturday or Sunday also.

Remember after the transition some stations are going to be transmitting in VHF anyway. KELO goes back to 11 and KSFY goes back to 13 and Brookings PBS goes back to 8. KCAU in SC is going back to 9.
post #1187 of 1424 Old 10-25-2008, 02:00 PM

BVfan or others...do you think KTTW is at full power now?
post #1188 of 1424 Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Off the air last night and this morning at my house. No HD OTA Vikes today. I was getting 100% on all receivers prior to that. I would have to speculate, but if you were getting a signal in Brookings, they must have been at full power.
post #1189 of 1424 Old 10-26-2008, 10:59 AM

KTTW states on their website the are full power now. So that's a good thing.

I had them pulled in for a day or two. However, now I can't get their signal. Maybe they're tweaking things.

I live 20 minutes north of Sioux Falls.

UpStreamDown
post #1190 of 1424 Old 10-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

For those trying to get FOX 17 OTA. It was back on last night for the World Series. And I just checked and it is on now.

If you don't know where to aim.... the tower is on a line straight east of SF on the SD/IA border east of the Sioux River - straight south of Brandon - or about 2 miles SW of Rowena on the KDLT tower.
post #1191 of 1424 Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temitch View Post

If what Cableone is telling me is correct you should be getting the new HD stations with your cable box. They have confirmed that the channels are encrypted but are part of the free HD tier. This will require a cable box or cable card to receive the channels. In my opinion free means not requiring extra equipment to receive the stations and using a qam tuner should pick them up. If you can't pick the stations up with your cable box I would call CableOne and see what the problem is.

I see today that CableOne is going to scramble all but local HD channels starting 11/11
post #1192 of 1424 Old 11-04-2008, 11:42 AM

DirecTV will start carrying Sioux Falls HD Locals on November 6th!
post #1193 of 1424 Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 PM

But evidently not KTTW - the station that is hardest to get OTA.
post #1194 of 1424 Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM

This is a little late, since everybody seems to be receiving KTTW now, but I thought I would post anyways. Been away for a while.

Here is what the response was to a question of ours about KTTW from their Chief Engineer:

>>>We had to shut off the DTV transmitter Monday October 13 to move
our digital transmitter building. We moved it to the new tower site near
Rowena. And installed the new transmitter and equipment in the building
there. We had an issue with the STL MW. Fixed yesterday. And had
the new transmitter on the air today at 1:15 PM Oct. 21.
John Bennett
Chief Engineer
KTTW & KTTM
2817 West 11th. Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Phone: 605-338-0017 ext. 120

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #1195 of 1424 Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor87 View Post

Evidently not any of them. I upgraded my package to locals after reading here. I can get 20 and 23 but not 11, 13, 17, or 46. I get audio on those 4 but also a message about a multiswitch problem.

D* CS told me to put a z-band converter on so took one off my HDDVR and put it on the receiver but when we reset - the receiver told me to take it off. My DVR is hooked to a projector so I guess I'll see if locals work on it tonight.

I have the 2 HD receivers and both act the same.

Anyone actually getting local SF HD from D*?
post #1196 of 1424 Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor87 View Post

Found this on satellite guys forum .... This poster is from Brookings and can't get a FOX OTA signal at all...

Called the Local Fox Affiliate in Sioux Falls and got an interesting answer. His version is that D* did not want to use the location available from the Fox affiliate for uplinking the HD singnal--that was BEFORE the Fox affiliate put up a new VHF tower near where the other networks broadcast their digital signals.

He doesn't think DIRECT TV has taken the time to re-evaluate the location of the uplink and their only option for the local Fox Affiliate was for them to pay $2000/month to have their signal uplinked at the location chosen by Direct.

When I called Direct they kept saying it was in the Fox affiliate's or the FCC's hands (this was a lowly CSR) and would not give me another department to speak with.

So, thanks DIRECT--for nothing. Can't you go back and re-evaluate a location for uplinking the signal now that they have a new tower near where the other network affiliates uplink their signal??? My goodness--what's the problem anyway?

I wish I knew who to talk to about this?
post #1197 of 1424 Old 11-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have a very long VHF/UHF combo antenna, if anyone wants to come and get it and try to pick up FOX. Free - if you pick it up.

It is around 100 inches long and really ugly. Little bit bent up and might have a couple of elements missing. Don't have a mast for it. It is supposed to be a deep fringe model and I think I picked up from Menards a few years back. Probably have to disassemble to transport it.

I have no need for it unless I wanted to pick up Omaha. PM me if interested.
post #1198 of 1424 Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 AM

It does appear that DirecTV is only carrying KDLT, KELO, and KSFY. Although they have a duplicate channel for FOX and the Minnesota and SD PBS channel. Not sure what the plan is for DirecTV.. if they will be adding these or not. I can get FOX OTA fine, but my parents who live by Mitchell can not, this would be good for them if they can get FOX HD OTA.

Also, why can't DirecTV use the same location that they get the SD feed for FOX? Maybe I don't understand all the technology behind it.
post #1199 of 1424 Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM

I am receiving the following SF locals off of D* using the latest slimline 5 lnb dish (no supplemental small dish), HR20 receiver, and zipcode=51246 (Rock Rapids, IA): 11, 13, 17, 20, 23, 46

I can confirm all of these (except 23 since I do not receive OTA) are the same as the XX.1 OTA broadcast. Can't confirm until primetime that these are if fact in HD, but believe I saw at least some programming last nite off of at least one in HD.
post #1200 of 1424 Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 PM

Nope just 11, 13, and 46 are HD
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page