Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1416 Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buffalo Ridge, goto TVFOOL.COM, enter your address, check the bullet for "digital only" and it will show the expected signal strength for the stations in your area. Looks to me like you will have excellent signal for 36.

I have a question for you though. I'm located in south central SD but I get the Sioux Falls stations on Dish. This includes KSMN, . I assume that Dish picks up the signal for KSMN over the air. Occasionally, maybe once or twice an hour the signal freezes for a few seconds and gets a greenish cast. Do you ever see this over the air on KSMN? My guess is it's interference of some sort on Dish's pickup and hopefully will go away when they convert to a digital pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1416 Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

tvfool.com and antennaweb.org are great places to start when you are looking to see what kind of signal to expect.

If you haven't gone to the thread that explains the neat Google Earth 3D tool, those with signal problems might want to take a look. It takes terrain into account and shows signal strengths for each station seperating in different colors for strength. You can zoom in right on your house.

It shows that my signal strength for the Sioux City stations is stronger than someone that would be like 8 miles closer to the towers, but I live on a hill.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=821480
post #1263 of 1416 Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

So is it coincidence, a planned experiment, or poor planning that KDLT is shutting off analog on Super Bowl Sunday? NBC has the game.
post #1264 of 1416 Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 PM

** RANT **
It's great that KELO actually has HD scrollers for alerts and news, but could they PLEASE move it to the bottom of the screen! It is consistently over the score of games or cutting off someones head on a show. Do they not notice this?! Also, I have noticed today during the Steelers/Chargers game that every time before and after the scroller goes on/off the screen with flicker black! Now I am glad they don't switch to SD like KDLT and KSFY do, but since they have the technology at least they could do is learn how to use IT! Ok, I am done ranting.
post #1265 of 1416 Old 01-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

So is it coincidence, a planned experiment, or poor planning that KDLT is shutting off analog on Super Bowl Sunday? NBC has the game.

What I heard is that NBC is pushing it's affiliates to do the switch over early. They figure since the Super Bowl is the most watched thing, that people will prepare for the switch more actively. It will be interesting to hear how many people complain about not being able to view the Super Bowl! ;-)
post #1266 of 1416 Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFluth View Post

** RANT **
It's great that KELO actually has HD scrollers for alerts and news, but could they PLEASE move it to the bottom of the screen! It is consistently over the score of games or cutting off someones head on a show. Do they not notice this?! Also, I have noticed today during the Steelers/Chargers game that every time before and after the scroller goes on/off the screen with flicker black! Now I am glad they don't switch to SD like KDLT and KSFY do, but since they have the technology at least they could do is learn how to use IT! Ok, I am done ranting.

Nick, I sent an email to the KELO chief engineer (chiefengineer@keloland.com) about this exact thing. I would encourage others to do the same. Maybe if they get enough feedback they will move all scrollers to the bottom.

Britney
post #1267 of 1416 Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Does anybody else have trouble picking up 9.2 KCAU's accuweather channel?

I can get it in my bed room, but not my living room and they are less the 30 feet apart. It's sick.
post #1268 of 1416 Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 AM

Plus KTIV added their alert 4 school closings and weather to the bottom of the screen but it really messes with the show resolution. I suggest that take it down a few inches and make it closer to the bottom of the screen.
post #1269 of 1416 Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Last night, watching 24 on Fox Midco channel 607, the picture was freezing a lot, did anyone else see this? I DVR'd it and started watching about a half hour into the show.
post #1270 of 1416 Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaider View Post

Last night, watching 24 on Fox Midco channel 607, the picture was freezing a lot, did anyone else see this? I DVR'd it and started watching about a half hour into the show.

I noticed it freezing at times OTA as well. Thankfully, I was able to switch to KPTH 44.1 and their feed did not freeze at all.
post #1271 of 1416 Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelChan View Post

Buffalo Ridge, goto TVFOOL.COM, enter your address, check the bullet for "digital only" and it will show the expected signal strength for the stations in your area. Looks to me like you will have excellent signal for 36.

I have a question for you though. I'm located in south central SD but I get the Sioux Falls stations on Dish. This includes KSMN, . I assume that Dish picks up the signal for KSMN over the air. Occasionally, maybe once or twice an hour the signal freezes for a few seconds and gets a greenish cast. Do you ever see this over the air on KSMN? My guess is it's interference of some sort on Dish's pickup and hopefully will go away when they convert to a digital pickup.

GravelChan, I have not noticed KSMN OTA freeze or show any greenish cast. Hopefully you're right and it will go away when they convert!
post #1272 of 1416 Old 01-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaider View Post

I was DVRing the 17 OTA feed and it sucked but then seems to get better.
post #1273 of 1416 Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Directv local KTTW 17 FOX is in HD tonight. Up until now it has been jittery SD feed.
Actually looks good, if you can call American Idol good.
post #1274 of 1416 Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.northpine.com/broadcast/

is reporting:

UHF MIGRATION:
In the analog era, VHF channels were seen as desirable, with UHF stations dismissed for being weak and hard to receive. But with the digital transition looming, most VHF Low stations (channels 2-6) are choosing to keep their digital broadcasts on UHF and abandon VHF, while most VHF High stations (7-13) are converting their analog VHF channel to digital. Here's a look at the changes in the Upper Midwest:

Sioux Falls is the only area to gain a VHF channel, with FOX affiliate KTTW moving from channel 17 to 7, joining the CBS and ABC affiliates on VHF. (1/15/2009)
post #1275 of 1416 Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM

GravelChan,

I have not experienced the freezing up and greenish cast with KSMN digital channels.
I do get freezing/breaking up with digital channel 17.1. I might need to aim my antenna differently.
post #1276 of 1416 Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 PM

Liked: 12
KDLT's decision to flip was made by its owners, not NBC. I work for a station owned by the same company in Duluth, MN and we are also ending analog on 2/1. I think some of their stations in ND are also flash-cutting to digital in early Feb.

However, I've been told that 2/1 is the last day of analog broadcasting...meaning that the analog transmitter will be on the air until the end of the day 2/1. This is probably also the case for KDLT, so the Super Bowl would happen before the analog shutoff.
post #1277 of 1416 Old 01-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Another FOX 17 reception data point. I had stuttering on both OTA and the Directv HD feed last night during the first half hour or so of the 7:00 Bones. I did not try 44 from SC so I don't know if it was local or network.
post #1278 of 1416 Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Hi guys haven't been here in awhile i was wondering what antenna would be good to get liveing in Sac City i have Mediacom but would like to get locals off air as well
post #1279 of 1416 Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose75 View Post

Hi guys haven't been here in awhile i was wondering what antenna would be good to get liveing in Sac City i have Mediacom but would like to get locals off air as well

go here and enter your address. Looks like locals are from Des Moines maybe.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
post #1280 of 1416 Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

It's a noon switchover on Feb. 17 for two Sioux City stations.

Just in from the FCC: Pappas Telecasting plans to shut off analog on KPTH at noon Feb. 17, citing in part the company's recent bankruptcy filings. Here's some of what Pappas had to say:

"Currently the licensee, along with approximately twenty other commonly controlled companies, is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and the station is operated under the guidance of a court appointed bankruptcy trustee. Allowing the station to terminate its analog operations on February 17th will help to conserve the licensee's limited financial resources and thus, is in the public interest. Furthermore, it is believed that the majority of the stations in this market also intend to cease analog operation on February 17th. The stations, including KPTH, have undertaken extensive consumer education efforts and aired thousands of viewer notifications informing the public that analog broadcasts will cease in this market on Februrary 17th. Accordingly, to avoid confusion to the public, and in light of the fact that the station is in bankruptcy, good cause exists in this instance to waive any rules or policies that might otherwise prevent the station from ceasing analog operations as intended."

Source is here: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ility_id=77451

KPTH joins KTIV in seeking to end analog on time. In fact, it appears the whole Quincy broadcast group is seeking to shut down at noon Feb. 17, not just KTIV.

As of yet I'm seeing nothing from KCAU or KMEG. IPTV (KSIN), though, is willing to leave its analog on as long as allowed, according to an e-mail another member posted here.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #1281 of 1416 Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

NEW THIS MORNING:

Add KCAU to the list of stations going digital-only Feb. 17.

Source: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ility_id=11265

(Sorry it's late; I posted this info to another thread but missed this one.)

Still no word from KMEG.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #1282 of 1416 Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE:

Today is the deadline for stations intending to shut off analog on 2/17 to file new forms. (Yes, even stations who've already filed are being asked to file again!)

As of right now (the database tends to update after midnight Eastern), forms are in from KCAU and KMEG. (KTIV also filed a silent notification 31 days in advance of 2/17.)

post #1283 of 1416 Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 AM

Maybe its just me but it seems kpth is only showing sd for the daytona 500 right now?

Edit: Seems like they fixed it
post #1284 of 1416 Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 AM

Is anyone else having problems getting a signal for KCAUDT with there H20 direct tv reciever? I can pick it up with my HR20 but not my H20's.
post #1285 of 1416 Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post

I'm curious...what's the farthest east anyone is receiving any of the following...KTIV, KCAU, KELO. I'm in Spencer (way east) and trying to figure out if it's worth the effort to put up an antenna.

well i am trying to get them i need to adjust my antenna hopefully today after work, but i am down in Carroll. kinda get them KCAU, and KTIV are freezing up a bit.
post #1286 of 1416 Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post

I'm curious...what's the farthest east anyone is receiving any of the following...KTIV, KCAU, KELO. I'm in Spencer (way east) and trying to figure out if it's worth the effort to put up an antenna.

I live 20 miles west of Madison SD and can pick them up sometimes. KTIV KCAU and KMEG Thats about 120 miles north. But I have a 15 foot antenna on a 45 foot tower.
post #1287 of 1416 Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Any one else lost OTA reception of 14.1 KMEG and 44.1 KPTH out of Sioux City? Until the last couple of days, they came in pretty solid for me - but now, nothing. Wondering if it is my setup, or more widespread issue.
post #1288 of 1416 Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdieren View Post

Any one else lost OTA reception of 14.1 KMEG and 44.1 KPTH out of Sioux City? Until the last couple of days, they came in pretty solid for me - but now, nothing. Wondering if it is my setup, or more widespread issue.

I was just rescanning my channels, and get both of them fine. Haven't noticed anything unusual with them in the last few days. One thing I did have was that when I rescanned, 14.1 didn't show up the first time, but 14.2 did. That's happened before and a second rescan seems to bring it back. That's with a Dish 722 receiver.
post #1289 of 1416 Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble getting KSFY-DT since the frequency change. I have 2 Dish boxes that do not see it with a scan or tuning to RF 29. They picked up the KTTW-DT switch fine. Never had trouble with KSFY-DT before. Really puzzled on what the trouble would be.
post #1290 of 1416 Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerm View Post

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble getting KSFY-DT since the frequency change. I have 2 Dish boxes that do not see it with a scan or tuning to RF 29. They picked up the KTTW-DT switch fine. Never had trouble with KSFY-DT before. Really puzzled on what the trouble would be.

I am having the same issue. I no longer am getting a signal for KSFY. Any ideas?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page