Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1416 Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have sent an e-mail to the KTTW engineer to try and find out why KTTW and KTTM both scan as 7.1 and 7.2. I tried my idea of pointing the antenna at Huron KTTM and getting SDPB out of Beresford off
the back of the antenna but it did not work. The signal off the back of the antenna is not strong enough.

Ed Gray
W0SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1416 Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Here is the explanation from John Bennet Chief Engineer for KTTW. It looks like eventually I will be able to have both channels in my SCAN LIST.

Hi Ed,

We have new equipment at the Huron site and it is not working right. It
should identify the station as 12.1 and 12.2.

The equipment manufacturer and us are trying to correct the problems we have
it the equipment. But it does put out both of our program streams right now.

This is an ongoing troubleshooting of the problems we are doing. You may
notice at times it is identified as 12.1 and 12.2. That is when
The equipment is working partly. and has not locked up. The manufacture
assures us it will work. So we are working with them to make it work.

John Bennett
Chief Engineer for
KTTW Fox 7 and KTTM Fox 12
post #1353 of 1416 Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM

I also see the same on my converter box. can get confusing if you receive both KTTM and KTTW. The Huron transmitter has had so many problems lately that it is off air than on. Hope they figure it out soon. Also hear that KSFY will be adding a new channel after the first of the year, hope it will be a good one.
post #1354 of 1416 Old 10-24-2009, 03:42 AM

Most of these TV Engineers run on a limited budget, minimum wage and a pack of Marlboro's.

Try visiting with the KTIV Engineer, sounded like somebody from Radio Shack. I guess they don't have the funds to pay for Furthering Education and training. Most don't have an FCC Engineering First Class Phone Ticket which isn't required any longer.

So the TV Stations find the "Hobby Tech" Type people so they can get away with Paying them low wages, they act smart (to get hired), but when the Rubber meets the road, forget it.

KTIV altered their radiation pattern from what I heard, they want it put back but forgot how to do it!

But why with these Public Stations don't they have the Budget to function correctly with precision, and along comes Public TV out of Chandler Pumping out a gorgeous Signal on (20-1) I can get with Rabbit ears right here north of Sioux Falls. I called the engineer, we visited for a Half-Hour, the guy is really very knowledgeable and has his act together, even enjoys his work!
They operate on Donations- Go Figure..
post #1355 of 1416 Old 10-24-2009, 03:58 AM

KTIV channels 4-1 and 4-2 (UHF CHANNEL 41) was CO-CHANNEL Clobbering a High-Power Translator in the Worthington area rebroadcasting KARE-11 out of the Twin Cities who was also on the same channel 41.

Rumor has it, they turned their power down at KTIV trying to avoid interference and legal problems as well as screw-up their Radiation pattern to the Northwest Iowa area.

So they loose their Audience, sales fall, people bitch, and now the viewers are most likely gone. As opposed to simply changing their Frequency and Stay High-Power like they were.

So for you North West Iowa Viewers, you might need a 200 foot Tower now for the CW on KTIV.

But get a load of this- KMEG and channel 9 (KCAU) from Sioux City are FULL SCALE in Northwest Ioway with Rabbit-ears, so it isn't the terrain!...........

Any Signal Reports from SPENCER? OKOBOJI AREA??
post #1356 of 1416 Old 10-25-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed_RadioOP View Post

KTIV channels 4-1 and 4-2 (UHF CHANNEL 41) was CO-CHANNEL Clobbering a High-Power Translator in the Worthington area rebroadcasting KARE-11 out of the Twin Cities who was also on the same channel 41.

Rumor has it, they turned their power down at KTIV trying to avoid interference and legal problems as well as screw-up their Radiation pattern to the Northwest Iowa area.

So they loose their Audience, sales fall, people bitch, and now the viewers are most likely gone. As opposed to simply changing their Frequency and Stay High-Power like they were.

So for you North West Iowa Viewers, you might need a 200 foot Tower now for the CW on KTIV.

But get a load of this- KMEG and channel 9 (KCAU) from Sioux City are FULL SCALE in Northwest Ioway with Rabbit-ears, so it isn't the terrain!...........

RadioOP,
I first posted in this thread on page 45, regarding issues I was having with the KTIV signal. I live near the Spencer area. Since I initially posted the first time, my KTIV digital signals have gotten better, but are not perfect.

To give you a idea of my setup, I use a DB8 Multidirectional HDTV Antenna mounted inside of my attic in a multiple story house. This works rather well for most of the channels in my area. However, occasionally with the 4.1 and 4.2 channel broadcasts, I will get the *glitch* effect of a sudden signal drop, you know, the pixel artifacting of the image and dropping of audio. My solution when watching NBC? I turn to KDLT 46.1 out of South Dakota, while being father away, seems to consistently have a better signal. (Though they broadcast their audio slightly lower than KTIV) Some days KTIV is just fine, other days it's barely watchable. It seems rather random.
I hardly ever bother to watch the CW 4.2 channel, even though its the only CW station I can get, because it's not broadcast in HD. (And I can easily just download a widescreen version of shows I watch on the CW off the Internet)
post #1357 of 1416 Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 AM

Interesting- Even in the Spencer area KTIV is not the greatest? Wow.

Try this if you can:

Order a WINEGARD MODEL AP-8275 ( I tested many TV AMPLIFIERS) This one has the lowest noise level and the most uniform gain factor across the Bands. Very well designed. You can Order them from SWIDEN DISTRIBUTING in Sioux Falls, Mike sends them overnight VIA Spee-DEE. KTIV should arrive Full-Scale.

Are you using a Digital TV or a Converter box? Some of the worst Converter Boxes with poor Tuners are the Magnavox-Radio shack, Digital Stream,RCA is okay but....Zenith (also manufactured as an ENSIGNIA) has the Hottest front-ends in them plus Fast Scanning...

Point your Antenna Northeast then, see if you get WCCO, KSTP,KARE etc out of minnesota! We get about 48 to 53 digital channels in Worthington.
post #1358 of 1416 Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed_RadioOP View Post

I'm new to this game, but getting interested. I borrowed a box and a yagi from a friend ... pointed it out the window (about 30 feet above East Okoboji) SSW toward the Arnolds Park watertower to see what I could see. Really surprised to pick up both KTIV and KCAU albeit at just above minimum power. Moving the antenna +/- 3 feet horizontally or 3 feet vertically dropped the signals, so I must have just happened on an optimal interference fringe. WOW, the map says I'm about 80 miles away. Is this unusual?

I can't wait for spring to mount the antenna on the chimney pointing in the opposite direction at the Jackson tower.
post #1359 of 1416 Old 12-15-2009, 02:41 PM

I have a difficult problem. We have D*TV, have had HD antenna in attic for 3 years, fed to basement where it is spliced to rest of house. We have 6 receivers. All receivers receive HD reception for local channels just fine, but on one receiver, the guide does not populate with the local programming. I've scanned for channels, they populate the guide, but specific programs do not, it just reads "regular schedule". All other recievers function just fine. We initially had D*TV come out and change the receiver, as the KCAU 9-1 wouldn't come in at all. Is this a problem with my splitter, coax to wall, coax from wall to receiver? Hard time believing it's the antenna or the receiver at this point. HELP!
post #1360 of 1416 Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 242
It's unfortunate that KELO is run by a bunch of rubes. They run their little stupid sports show right after the news on friday. And because they then have to tape Letterman on their non HD machines, they show it in SD on friday nights. Total bunch of clueless rubes.
post #1361 of 1416 Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwax View Post

I also see the same on my converter box. can get confusing if you receive both KTTM and KTTW. The Huron transmitter has had so many problems lately that it is off air than on. Hope they figure it out soon. Also hear that KSFY will be adding a new channel after the first of the year, hope it will be a good one.

I hope not. It means they will just compress their HD signal to broadcast both, which means crappy sub par PQ. It really won't be HD anymore. I hate when station do this. The OTA HD broadcast suffers. In the end it won't look any better than the compressed PQ that cable provides. Most people who currently own an HDTV don't know how good HD use to look 7 years ago.
post #1362 of 1416 Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM

ok I got a question for ya all. sometimes i could get Sioux City with my Winegard 7084P, had no problems with Des Moines. So my antennna got smoked by the ice storm i mean i snapped literally. Well now i am thinking of a new antenna, would i get Sioux City with the Winegard 8200p or CM 3671 Deepest Fringe Crossfire Series? Well as ya know i need a new antenna anyways, so may as well go bigger i guess. I live in Carroll, Ia, any ideas would be great.
post #1363 of 1416 Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I want to thank KDLT for being such a second rate, no third rate station at best. Olympics are on, but wait, they don't have the ability to show HD when they run their stupid school closings on the screen. So like a third rate station, they have to display the stunning HD picture as a low rate washed out SD picture. Thanks KDLT. Thanks for being the lowest rated NBC affiliate in the US. You have earned it.
post #1364 of 1416 Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

wxman,

You probably can not get Souix City, but that was the option I have had to use. Kelo has finally gotten to a HD closing/weather stream, but it took them years. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years if you have read this thread. I would like them to get completely rid of it on the HD channel, but since the alerts are also an advertisment I'm sure that will never happen.

Also when we have bad weather and KELO goes into "Weather Channel" mode because there is a tornado 30 miles west of Abereen and I am in Sioux Falls, Sioux City is a good option.

My wife watches ET at 6:30 on KELO. As we all know they have a Sanford Health 30 minute infomercial at least once a month in that time slot. Sioux City 4-1 comes to the rescue for my wife as they show ET in that time slot. I could get 4-1 with indoor RCA rabbit ears on my kitchen TV last Tuesday when this occured. 60 miles but a clear view of the south.
post #1365 of 1416 Old 05-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Was on the Nebraska side of the Sioux City market this morning and afternoon... got all the full-powers except KMEG. Are they at low power or having transmitter problems? Was getting over 90% signal on KTIV and KPTH, over 70% on KSIN and KCAU, but less than 10% on KMEG.

Also, is KMEG-DT2 still relaying the Omaha Azteca America station or does it have its own feed and local IDs now? I'm in Omaha and noticed that KXVO-DT2 ("MXVO") no longer has KMEG-DT2 on its ID screen. I got the KMEG signal just briefly enough today to have 14.2 show up on my tuner as "Azteca-SiouxCity" but no picture with only 10% signal strength.
post #1366 of 1416 Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM

I wondered if something was up with KMEG. I am 60 miles south and usually get it, but haven't seen it for at least a week.

Let's check, right now (11:34PM Friday nite)

It is coming in very blocky/stuttery right now, which is a major improvement. Might be they got it back up for the weekend?
post #1367 of 1416 Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjoyce View Post

I have a difficult problem. We have D*TV, have had HD antenna in attic for 3 years, fed to basement where it is spliced to rest of house. We have 6 receivers. All receivers receive HD reception for local channels just fine, but on one receiver, the guide does not populate with the local programming. I've scanned for channels, they populate the guide, but specific programs do not, it just reads "regular schedule". All other recievers function just fine. We initially had D*TV come out and change the receiver, as the KCAU 9-1 wouldn't come in at all. Is this a problem with my splitter, coax to wall, coax from wall to receiver? Hard time believing it's the antenna or the receiver at this point. HELP!

I don't think it is your antenna.

The D* guide data comes in through the satellite dish. My info maybe out of date, but most installs get the guide data from the 119 sat. If you have a SWM 3 dish you don't. (I have heard if you have SWM 5, and set your receiver to a SWM 3, if it will let you, it still will get the guide data on 119. I have also heard D* is working on a software update that will fix that)

Anyhow, if you have a SWM 5 D* setup and some diplexers (apparently hidden where the D* tech could not find them) you might have a guide problem. If you reboot the box and have guide data for a day or less, then just see 'regular schedule' it might be that.

If you do have diplexers, and have to have them, let me know, there is probably a work around.

You might try swapping boxes around too. If bedroom #3, for instance, never has guide data no matter what box is there, it is not the box(es), but most likely a wiring issue. Do you have a Zinwell 6x8?? It might be a bad port, try the swap wire trick there and see if problem moves to another box.
post #1368 of 1416 Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM

Found this 5/17/10 DirecTV press release:

DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 172 Markets Including 16 New Markets in HD

More Than 97 Percent of U.S. TV Homes Will Have Access to Local Channels from DIRECTV; Roll Out of New Local Markets to Begin in June

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., May 17, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, the world's most popular video service, will begin the rollout of 16 new HD local-channel markets next month, providing more than 97 percent of U.S. TV households access to local channels by the end of this year. When the rollout is complete, DIRECTV will offer local channels in 172 markets, including local HD in 155 markets.

DIRECTV will roll-out the following new HD local markets, beginning in June with Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss.; Idaho Falls-Pocatello, Idaho; and Joplin-Pittsburg, Mo. In the third quarter, DIRECTV will launch Albany, Ga.; Columbus, Ga.; Gainesville, Fla.; and Montgomery-Selma, Ark. In the fourth quarter, DIRECTV will launch Abilene-Sweetwater, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Binghamton, N.Y.; Clarksburg-Weston, W.Va.; Lubbock, Texas; Sioux City, Iowa; Terre Haute, Ind.; Wheeling-Steubenville, W.Va.; and Wichita Falls-Lawton, Texas. For more HD local launch details, customers can visit www.directv.com/hdlocals.
post #1369 of 1416 Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Purchased an Avia Pocket DTV reciever a few months back. Thought it would be good for camping. To make a story short; went to Pickstown, SD and was able to get K57BX, Wagner,SD (KELO) analog. It looks alot better! Tried to tune in KTSD (SDPB) O'Neil, NE (NEPB) and was unable to. What's the deal ? Pre-transition I could get the repeater station out of O'neil, NE & KTSD....What happened ?
post #1370 of 1416 Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0SEY View Post

Purchased an Avia Pocket DTV reciever a few months back. Thought it would be good for camping. To make a story short; went to Pickstown, SD and was able to get K57BX, Wagner,SD (KELO) analog. It looks alot better! Tried to tune in KTSD (SDPB) O'Neil, NE (NEPB) and was unable to. What's the deal ? Pre-transition I could get the repeater station out of O'neil, NE & KTSD....What happened ?

Pocket DTV receivers tend to have poor reception compared to regular digital TVs. You need to be in a strong service area, not on the fringe. KTSD's digital signal doesn't reach Pickstown -- SDPB has a construction permit for channel 8 in Wagner which will reach the area.

There isn't a NET repeater in O'Neill, NE -- just CBS, Fox, and ABC repeaters. All but CBS are still analog. NET channel 7 out of Bassett, NE appears to have fringe reception in the Pickstown area but you'd need a good VHF antenna. The little antenna pole that comes with most pocket DTV receivers isn't going to be adequate.
post #1371 of 1416 Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 PM

Looks like KMEG 14 and KPTH 44 went to 16x9 widescreen newscasts within the past week. KCAU is probably soon to begin HD newscasts as sister station WOI in Des Moines went HD earlier this month and KLKN in Lincoln will start HD newscasts tomorrow. That would leave KTIV as the only 4:3 newscast in Sioux City.

Any info on local HD in Sioux Falls?
post #1372 of 1416 Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 PM

No official word from any that I know of. But my guess is that it will be a while before any go HD. At least that's the way things are being indicated.

MidcoSN (Midco Sports Net) is HD though. At least the local HS and college games they cover are being produced in HD. If they get feeds from elsewhere, like UND's FSSN is standard def with the MidcoSN side curtains. Same for other feeds.

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #1373 of 1416 Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM

any word if Sioux Falls will be getting Antenna TV or the Country Network

(like most midwest cities except Omaha) are getting

btw: sioux falls is lucky. you guys get RTN and Daystar (unlike Omaha)
post #1374 of 1416 Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM

sioux falls tv

7.1- FOX 7 of sioux falls
7.2 - This TV

11.1 KELO-TV CBS
11.2 My Network Tv
11.3 local weather channel

13.1 KSFY-TV ABC

23.1 KCSD-TV PBS satellite of KUSD-TV ch. 2 Vermillion
23.2 PBS World
23.3 PBS Create channel (hgtv like channel)

26.1 KCPO-LP

36.1 KWSD CW
36.2 Retro TV Network

46.1 NBC
46.2 Universal Sports

53.1 Daystar

sioux city tv

4.1 KTIV NBC
4.2 CW of sioux falls

9.1 KCAU-TV ABC
9.2 weather channel

14.1 KMEG CBS
14.2 Azteca America

27.1 PBS
27.2 Create /PBS Kids
27.3 PBS World

44.1 Fox TV
44.2 MyNetworkTV/This TV
post #1375 of 1416 Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Nice transmitters you have out there. With today's tropo, I was able to get your KSMN and KSIN here in the northwest burbs of Chicago...over 400 miles. What are you feeding those things?

My RabbitEars reception page-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1376 of 1416 Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 AM

I'm trying to gather info on what HDTV OTA receivers can pick up the IPTV XX.99 subchannel.

If you have a rig that pulls in IPTV from an antenna, could you see if your tuner can pick up one of the XX.99 subchannels below? It should be audio only, probably sometime before noon daily.

I do know that my TiVo HD, Channel Master CM 7000 and Zenith DTT901 digital to analog converter boxes do not decode the audio.

The following tuners have been reported to work. If yours is not listed, and works, please post it here.

DigitalStream DTX9950 digital-to-analog converter box
Accurian handheld DTV
LG TV

Channel 11.99 - Des Moines
Channel 12.99 - Iowa City
Channel 21.99 - Fort Dodge
Channel 24.99 - Mason City
Channel 27.99 - Sioux City
Channel 32.99 - Waterloo
Channel 32.99 - Council Bluffs
Channel 36.99 - Red Oak
Channel 36.99 - Davenport

Thanks!
post #1377 of 1416 Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 AM

The audio feed also works with the eyeTV Hybrid tuner for Mac, but shows up in the software as 32-4 rather than 32-99.
post #1378 of 1416 Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, Joel. I think Trip one time mentioned that the subchannel is not listed in the PSIP, but the audio stream is there. I'm guessing most tuners ignore it because of that.
post #1379 of 1416 Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Yep, that's basically it. There are some tuners that deal with lack of PSIP just fine, and others that just ignore stations without PSIP.

There's also a flag that'll hide a station from tuners that recognize it. Not sure if that's enabled as it's not something TSReader will show me in the HTML Exports I use. KLWY 27-2 had that enabled for a while, jsmar in the Denver thread knows more about it than I do. Some tuners respected it, others ignored it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1380 of 1416 Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM

This just in...

Here's a link to the actual receivers that IRIS uses:

http://www.rrs1100.com/

There is some interesting technical info there.

No info yet on the chipset it uses to decode the MPEG stream.

And I've also found out that some CECB's tune the audio stream in on subchannel 99 while others find it on subchannel 04.

I still find it odd that IRIS and IPTV have almost zero info about the service listed publically. It would not cost them anything for people to purchase their own CECB and use the RCA audio outputs to feed an audio amp. More listeners would not increase the burden on the ATSC broadcast. Sounds like a win/win situation for blind and sighted people.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page