Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1416 Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i dont live in sioux falls south dakota

but know folks who do, and is there any word on a possible sioux falls antenna tv station http://www.facebook.com/AntennaTV

maybe antenna tv could be on a sub-channel on KCPO 26 or KSFY 13 in sioux falls since they dont have a subchannel yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1416 Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought I would post this info about KTIV and RTV.

I have even emailed them about it in August 2010, and they said coming sometime in 2011. So I emailed them again about it and if they was going to switch to MeTV in June 2011, and the replies sounds like RTV or MeTV will not come to the Sioux City market.
post #1383 of 1416 Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Just a heads up for those of you with Dish HD receivers in the Sioux Falls DMA. KCSD-HD is now up and running on Dish. Also KSMN-HD is uplinked but not yet available, my guess is it will be available in a week or so.
post #1384 of 1416 Old 05-27-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Anyone else notice that KTTW Fox channel 7.1 is not broadcasting? Instead is on channel 7.3 and broadcasting 480i. It has been like that for several days.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #1385 of 1416 Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM

I've noticed KTTW has been missing. I rescan every few days with no joy so far. I haven't seen the 7.3 channel you reported. It would be better than nothing.
post #1386 of 1416 Old 03-16-2013, 01:32 AM

I was just looking around at MeTV's site for a friend that is in a different market and found this: http://metvnetwork.com/wherewatch.php?marketID=247 . So I looked here: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=ktiv#station

I get KETV's MeTV, but I know a few friends that is in the Sioux City market that wanted MeTV. Now we need AntennaTV around here.
post #1387 of 1416 Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
KTIV Sioux City, IA launching MeTV June 1 on 4-3
post #1388 of 1416 Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

I read on the METV site that METV will start on KTIV on 6/1 .

Bill
post #1389 of 1416 Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is there an echo in here?
post #1390 of 1416 Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

6/1 not 7/1 was all I was trying to communicate.

Bill
post #1391 of 1416 Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Anybody know what's up with KWSD-DT in Sioux Falls? 36.1 used to be ME-TV, but it's been dead for about a month. 36.2 still has RetroTV. Midco cable has KWSD/ME-TV on channel 14, so the problem seems to be with their broadcast signal.
post #1392 of 1416 Old 05-05-2013, 03:33 PM

I've also had KWSD problems for about the same time frame. I noticed it was recently scanning in as 36.1, 36.4, and 36.5 but should have been 36.1 and 36.2. 36.1 was totally blank. I also began intermittently receiving video only with no sound.

As KWSD has no web site and its listed phone number is defunct I contacted MeTV about the problem. They apparently contacted the station as I received email from the station engineer. He asked if I received the signal over the air, which I do. He then reported he'd monitored the signal for a three-hour period and there was no problem with the signal or sound. Unfortunately, I lost sound during that period. But apparently, he's operating with the theory that if he has no problem, it's not possible I have a problem.

Regardless, even though I had no problem with video I attempted to rescan and have not been able to scan in KWSD since. I do notice my tuner pauses on KWSD for 90 seconds before timing out. I generally receive 26 channels, including stations in cities 60 and 90 miles away so I rather doubt it's my tuner.

I'm hesitant to publish the engineer's email address in a public forum, but I suggest you also contact MeTV about the problem. Perhaps if more than one person speaks up they'll take the problem more seriously.
post #1393 of 1416 Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 PM

I eventually got MeTV and RetroTV tuned in again, but I had to re-scan many times. Here is some data I collected with my EyeTV USB tuner. I had a channel list file from before KWSD went bad, and I am comparing it with the current data.

Before (36-1 MeTV)
LCN: 36
Minor LCN: 1
service ID: 3

Before (36-2 RetroTV)
Minor LCN: 2
Service ID: 4

Current (36-1 MeTV)
LCN: 0
Minor LCN: 0
Service ID: 5

Current (36-2 RetroTV)
LCN: 0
Minor LCN: 0
Service ID: 4

LCN is the Logical Channel Number, or Virtual Channel.
Minor LCN is the virtual subchannel.
These two numbers make up the display channel: 36-1.

I believe that the Service ID is the program number used in the digital stream. Rabbitears.info shows that they were using program numbers 3 and 4 (http://www.rabbitears.info/screencaps/sd-sfy/29121-0_0.htm), so that matches what I had.

Notice two things:
1. They changed the Service ID of MeTV from 3 to 5. RetroTV is still on 4.
2. They are no longer sending the LCN or Minor LCN. That is, they are not including a virtual channel number in the stream.

I think this explains why some TV's scan it in as 36.4 and 36.5 now. There is no virtual channel number, so the tuner just uses the program number.
post #1394 of 1416 Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 AM

The KWSD engineer did mention the following:

"The owner has replacement parts on order to replace the EPG, Electronic Program Guide. Plus the MUX unit. These two parts will correct the channel number Identifier and the program guide."

That message was on 04/24/13 and I still cannot scan in KWSD as of 05/06/13. To my knowledge KWSD has never broadcast schedule information. It's the only digital station in Sioux Falls to not do so.
post #1395 of 1416 Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If there's someone in the area with a USB or PCI tuner with Windows that could potentially run TSReader, I could have a look-see and see if there's anything really obvious aside from what's already stated. Perhaps getting back in touch with specific notes about what equipment may be responsible for the problem would be more helpful.

I'm also trying to update my Sioux City once KTIV goes dual HD. My data for that area is like three or four years out of date.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1396 of 1416 Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 AM

I run Linux but perhaps tenspeed can help.

Have you heard of long pauses when scanning? It seems there must be something funky with their signal as I'd received the station for well over a year. I guess it's possible I have some local interference to explain the pause and occasional audio absence but that seems a stretch.
post #1397 of 1416 Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM

I only have a Mac with EyeTV. TSReader doesn't work with either of those.

Usually when I scan, it pauses and finds only a blank channel, 36-1. That one does carry the virtual channel data.

Minor LCN: 1
service ID: 3

A few weeks before MeTV got messed up, they were running Shepherd's Chapel nonstop on 36-2 instead of RetroTV. That lasted for about week. So, clearly, they have been having some problems.
post #1398 of 1416 Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post

I run Linux but perhaps tenspeed can help.

As a fellow Linux user, it may or may not work. If you have an HDHomeRun tuner, you can run TSReader in WINE and it will work. WINE doesn't support USB or PCI tuners at this time.

Even if you don't, do you have the ability to snag the raw transport stream? You could upload a 10-15 second snippet to my web server and I could feed it through TSReader as a file. (Or you could do that too, actually, if you wanted.)
Quote:
Have you heard of long pauses when scanning? It seems there must be something funky with their signal as I'd received the station for well over a year. I guess it's possible I have some local interference to explain the pause and occasional audio absence but that seems a stretch.

Long pauses in scanning tend to occur when there's something in the data that is missing or unexpected and the tuner is either waiting for it to correct itself or trying to figure out what to do with it. In this case, it's probably looking at KWSD, seeing no PSIP, and just waiting a bit to see if it comes in.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1399 of 1416 Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 AM

It's nice to communicate with another Linux user. Unfortunately, I have no PC tuner. I capture OTA signals on my Samsung B2430HD.

tenspeed, I don't want to "volunteer" you and don't mean to be pushy, but could you snag the stream Trip refers to and report the raw data as you have a tuner on your Mac? You and I have an interest in this, and although you can currently scan KWSD, fixing the problem long term should help everyone.

If tenspeed is unable to provide the stream I'm not above buying a PC tuner just to capture information and fix KWSD. I'm not impressed by their effort and very much dislike the pause in scanning, sporadic audio, and lack of schedule information.
post #1400 of 1416 Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post

It's nice to communicate with another Linux user. Unfortunately, I have no PC tuner. I capture OTA signals on my Samsung B2430HD.

Ah, darn.
Quote:
tenspeed, I don't want to "volunteer" you and don't mean to be pushy, but could you snag the stream Trip refers to and report the raw data as you have a tuner on your Mac? You and I have an interest in this, and although you can currently scan KWSD, fixing the problem long term should help everyone.

Unfortunately, as best I can tell, there is no way to capture the entire transport stream on a Mac, for reasons I do not quite understand. I know several Mac+EyeTV owners, and have been unable to find any software that will dump the transport stream. Believe me, I wish I could; my Lincoln and Omaha would be up to date if that was the case.
Quote:
If tenspeed is unable to provide the stream I'm not above buying a PC tuner just to capture information and fix KWSD. I'm not impressed by their effort and very much dislike the pause in scanning, sporadic audio, and lack of schedule information.

I love the HDHomeRun. It's network-connected and the signal meters on it correspond directly to those on my spectrum analyzer. I also use it with an auto-scanner to monitor local signal conditions 24/7. Here's what I see at my place: http://kb8u.ham-radio-op.net/tvdx/one_tuner_map/1019EECD/tuner1

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1401 of 1416 Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Will a 10-15 second snippet of KWSD's signal provide sufficient information to convince the engineer there's a problem?

I'm still receptive to purchasing a PC tuner, even though it'd be for a one-time test. But I just wrote KWSD's engineer to ask the status of their new EPG and mux.
post #1402 of 1416 Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, the point is that the 10-15 second snippet is enough to see what some of the key encoder settings and what the PSIP has in it. If equipment is operating but is just set incorrectly, that would definitely let us know.

I used to have a pile of tuners floating around that I could have mailed to people but I don't even know where most of them are these days. The few that I do know the locations of are in use for data captures. And I don't remember if they work in Linux or not.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1403 of 1416 Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

If there's someone in the area with a USB or PCI tuner with Windows that could potentially run TSReader, I could have a look-see and see if there's anything really obvious aside from what's already stated. Perhaps getting back in touch with specific notes about what equipment may be responsible for the problem would be more helpful.

I'm also trying to update my Sioux City once KTIV goes dual HD. My data for that area is like three or four years out of date.

- Trip

I live in this area. Plus I get the Omaha stations because I live half way between the two areas.
post #1404 of 1416 Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. My thinking was perhaps I should wait until the EPG/Mux is installed. Is any data moot prior to that being installed?

But then again, I've not had a response from the KWSD engineer. I'll wait until Friday.

You might be interested that I live in Sioux Falls, but can receive KTIV and KMEG in Sioux City, 90 miles away. Last Sunday I scanned in WOWT from Omaha. It scanned in but wasn't viewable. However, I have received viewable WOWT for short periods the last two years or so.
post #1405 of 1416 Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I heard through my own sources that it sounds as though some equipment actually failed, so yes, I would say that if it's not corrected once the new hardware comes in, then it could be worth looking at the data. Otherwise, probably not so much.

I am very interested to know that. Once KTIV adds Me-TV and goes HD on 4-2, I really want to update my Sioux City. I'm sure during atmospheric events you might be able to see the other stations from there as well. Something for me to keep in mind.

advcomp2019, what kind of reception gear do you have?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1406 of 1416 Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I heard through my own sources that it sounds as though some equipment actually failed, so yes, I would say that if it's not corrected once the new hardware comes in, then it could be worth looking at the data. Otherwise, probably not so much.

I am very interested to know that. Once KTIV adds Me-TV and goes HD on 4-2, I really want to update my Sioux City. I'm sure during atmospheric events you might be able to see the other stations from there as well. Something for me to keep in mind.

advcomp2019, what kind of reception gear do you have?

- Trip

To not confuse me and some people at a latter date, I will use the PSID and their station call letters. With my setup and by what my TV says, most of the channels are 90% to 95% but for channel 9(KCAU), 15(KXVO), 42(KPTM) and some of the PBS channels. Channel 9(KCAU) jumps from 70% to 90%. Channel 15(KXVO) and 42(KPTM) jumps from 60% to 85%. Those are depending on the day. As for Iowa PBS, I get 27(KSIN) all of the time, and 32(KBIN) and 36(KHIN) at random times of the days. As for NET, I get 26(KYNE) off and on thru out the day, and two different 19(KXNE) most of the time unless the weather is bad.

I have an ATI TV Wonder HD600 USB. Then I have another one, but I don't have it right now.
post #1407 of 1416 Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 AM

A follow-up to my Sioux City reception in Sioux Falls. My antenna is indoors, mounted between my corner windows. I made a modified Hoverman antenna using 22 gauge wire looped through a thin sheet of plexiglas so it's hardly noticeable.

It's good to know KTIV will carry MeTV 07/01/13. It's very rare I can't receive KTIV and KMEG.
post #1408 of 1416 Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 AM

Unfortunately, KWSD's engineer didn't respond to my question about their EPG/Mux installation plans. tenspeed, as you can access the channels, do you see any evidence they've installed new equipment? Are they broadcasting schedule information? Are their channels still 36.4 and 36.5?

As of 05/11/13 I still can't scan in KWSD. I know of one person other than tenspeed who watches OTA but she also can't scan it in. As KWSD offers no means of contact and the engineer doesn't respond to a polite request for information perhaps you can fill in the blanks.
post #1409 of 1416 Old 05-11-2013, 08:13 AM

I don't think that anything has changed. There is still no virtual channel or EPG. I am only able to scan in the blank channel, 36-1 (service ID 3), but I still receive RetroTV and MeTV on subchannels 4 and 5 from my saved channel list. The signal quality gets really bad at times, with a lot of dropouts. When watching live TV or recording, it sometimes makes EyeTV crash. I recorded Adam-12 and Emergency! all this week, and most of the recordings are unwatchable because of the dropouts. The playback skips over the missing data, so it's like watching fast-forward. I did not have this problem prior to Apr 28, so it must have started sometime between Apr 28-May 5.
post #1410 of 1416 Old 05-11-2013, 04:33 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I should address the KWSD problem? If I understand tenspeed correctly neither he, I, or my friend can scan KWSD as of 05/11/13. My only thought is to contact the FCC using: https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000E My complaint isn't so much not being able to scan in their station, it's their defective signal locking my scan.

I'd prefer to handle this outside the FCC and would cut them some slack if they'd simply give me a time frame. Unfortunately, they don't exactly encourage communication and aren't answering email questions. I have no confidence in their fixing the problem and feel this is no way to run an Air Force.

So, if anyone has a better idea I'm receptive. In the absence of another avenue I'll contact the FCC Monday.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page