Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1424 Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I should address the KWSD problem? If I understand tenspeed correctly neither he, I, or my friend can scan KWSD as of 05/11/13. My only thought is to contact the FCC using: https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000E My complaint isn't so much not being able to scan in their station, it's their defective signal locking my scan.

I'd prefer to handle this outside the FCC and would cut them some slack if they'd simply give me a time frame. Unfortunately, they don't exactly encourage communication and aren't answering email questions. I have no confidence in their fixing the problem and feel this is no way to run an Air Force.

So, if anyone has a better idea I'm receptive. In the absence of another avenue I'll contact the FCC Monday.

Go to:

https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/kwsd

for the owners address/phone #, see what he has to say.smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1424 Old 05-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you. The Sioux Falls address listed in the local phone book is shuttered and I've been unsuccessful contacting the 336-3100 number.

However, I was unaware of the email address so I sent a message today. I'm not optimistic about receiving a reply but I'll give him a few days.
post #1413 of 1424 Old 05-14-2013, 07:06 AM

The e-mail address listed by the FCC also came back as invalid.
post #1414 of 1424 Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 PM

I thought I'd update the KWSD situation. Months ago I filed a complaint with the FCC. My complaint wasn't that I couldn't receive 36.1 or 36.2, but rather that their signal locks my scan.

This popped up in my calendar and the situation hasn't changed so I phoned the FCC to inquire as to the status of my complaint. I was told the complaint had been closed. That surprised me as nothing had been done to my knowledge and my scan still locks on the 36 channels.

Bottom line, after repeatedly trying to explain I get very good digital reception and my complaint isn't that I can't receive 36.1 or 36.2 I was transferred. Again, I was repeatedly told the FCC can't guarantee reception and KWSD may have tweaked their antenna.

After perhaps 15 minutes I think I got through that it's not a situation of not receiving their signal. The problem is their signal locks my scan. In my opinion (I could be wrong), that would indicate their signal isn't up to specs. Bottom line, I was told someone would be sent out to check their status. It was explained that wouldn't be a fast process. I can live with that, it's significantly better than just closing the complaint.

This isn't a big problem as I receive MeTV from Sioux City, but it just seems wrong. It seems a license to broadcast should entail broadcasting a proper signal.
post #1415 of 1424 Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone else notice a significant drop in quality on KSFY-HD in the last couple of days? Normally I would see bitrates between 7000-8000 kb/s but now I am only seeing between 3000-4000 kb/s.
post #1416 of 1424 Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 AM

I don't know about bizrate, but I've not noticed quality or reception problems. I do occasionally experience minor and temporary reception problems through the year but it's coming well now.
post #1417 of 1424 Old 11-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #1418 of 1424 Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 AM

KTIV's tower situation.

I appreciate the post about KTIV's tower problem. I live in Sioux Falls and receive KTIV quite well. But as I've not been able to receive KTIV I thought the problem might be on my end or atmospheric. The problem with that theory is that I still receive KMEG well.

I also not been able to receive Iowa PBS on channel 27.[1-4] recently. Does IPTV broadcast from the same tower?
post #1419 of 1424 Old 11-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post
I appreciate the post about KTIV's tower problem. I live in Sioux Falls and receive KTIV quite well. But as I've not been able to receive KTIV I thought the problem might be on my end or atmospheric. The problem with that theory is that I still receive KMEG well.

I also not been able to receive Iowa PBS on channel 27.[1-4] recently. Does IPTV broadcast from the same tower?
They don't transmit from the same site. So I am not sure what is going on there.
post #1420 of 1424 Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Is KWSD-TV live on the air? They show as temporarily unavailable on DISH.
Transmitter trouble? Dish problem? Arguing over money?
post #1421 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM

I assume they are off the air. They no longer lock my scan as they're apparently no longer broadcasting my signal. They've broadcast an improperly-formatted signal for over a year.

It's difficult to get information from KWSD; it's not the most professional/responsible organization (that's being kind). I'll repost if I get a definitive answer as to their status.
post #1422 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelChan View Post
Is KWSD-TV live on the air? They show as temporarily unavailable on DISH.
Transmitter trouble? Dish problem? Arguing over money?
I'm curious, how long has KWSD been off DISH? I believe they've been off the airwaves since the first week of November. I heard back from my friend who mentioned satellite providers get their signal over the air. So, as they're not broadcasting, that might explain why DISH doesn't carry them.

Do you know whether KWSD is still on cable, not satellite? If DISH uses the term temporatily and they're on cable it may be a temporary situation.
post #1423 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post
I'm curious, how long has KWSD been off DISH? I believe they've been off the airwaves since the first week of November. I heard back from my friend who mentioned satellite providers get their signal over the air. So, as they're not broadcasting, that might explain why DISH doesn't carry them.

Do you know whether KWSD is still on cable, not satellite? If DISH uses the term temporatily and they're on cable it may be a temporary situation.
I record a couple of programs, the last one that recorded was Nov 20th so a couple of weeks. The exact wording on the Dish splash is "We are aware this station is temporarily unavailable" which fits with it being off the air. I'm 170 miles from Sioux Falls so I have no idea if they are on cable or not. Anyone in Sioux falls know?
post #1424 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelChan View Post
Anyone in Sioux falls know?
I haven't checked since Saturday, but their OTA signal was gone, and Midco cable 14 was also gone.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception