Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1458 Old 07-11-2015, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, with Gray buying an LD in Sioux Falls, do you think they'll go after KTTW's non-license assets and put them on the LD with a simulcast on KSFY/KABY/KPRY-DT2 in HD? Where would The CW go? Would it stay on KSFY with "3" HD subchannels? Or will KELO pick it up?[/QUOTE]

I assume Gray owns KSFY, what what is a LD? It'd be good if The CW exits 13.2 as they continually broadcast an incorrect EPG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1458 Old 07-11-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post
I assume Gray owns KSFY, what what is a LD?
LD stands for Low-Power Digital.

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #1443 of 1458 Old 07-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
LD stands for Low-Power Digital.
Thank you. I first thought it meant "low definition" but that made no sense without a noun. I thought all digital stations were of the same ilk, allowing one high definition channel. But does a low power license not provide for a high definition channel? Is a low power channel required to broadcast an EPG?
post #1444 of 1458 Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 28
the only difference between a low powered station and a regular station is how much output power they can use. a low powered station can only broadcast up to 15000 watts.
post #1445 of 1458 Old 07-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

you can broadcast a high definition channel standard definition channel or a combination of both. As example in Minneapolis we have a lp station. Has telemundo HD and drtv in SD.
post #1446 of 1458 Old 07-13-2015, 06:08 AM

MeTV on KSFY 13.3 beginning 09/01/15

The Argus reported this morning KSFY will begin broadcasting MeTV 09/01/15 on 13.3.

The article implies KCPO is broadcasting a digital signal and tower improvements are coming "so pretty soon we'll be able to broadcast it within a 20-mile radius of Sioux Falls."

That would be an improvement as in my experience they're currently broadcasting within a 0-mile radius of Sioux Falls. I receive all Sioux Falls and most Sioux City stations and received KCPO's analog signal. But I've not scanned in KCPO since they converted to digital.
post #1447 of 1458 Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Sioux City gets Decades
From northpine.com

KMEG/14.2 (Sioux City) is now carrying Decades, replacing Grit TV, which moved to KPTH/44.3 (Sioux City). Both channels had earlier carried Azteca America. KMEG and KPTH are operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group and carry CBS and FOX on their primary channels, along with a mix of This TV and MyNetworkTV on 44.2.
post #1448 of 1458 Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Sioux City gets Decades
From northpine.com

KMEG/14.2 (Sioux City) is now carrying Decades, replacing Grit TV, which moved to KPTH/44.3 (Sioux City). Both channels had earlier carried Azteca America. KMEG and KPTH are operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group and carry CBS and FOX on their primary channels, along with a mix of This TV and MyNetworkTV on 44.2.
This has been like that for a few weeks. There is one issue with both channels. They have not fixed aspect ratio. I have emailed them about it two times. I know what is going on because I can change my aspect ratio on my TV to fix it. They are taking a 16x9 video feed and rebroadcasting it in 4x3 not 16x9. The local TV commercials that they added look OK without changing the setting on my TV.
post #1449 of 1458 Old 08-14-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
This has been like that for a few weeks. There is one issue with both channels. They have not fixed aspect ratio. I have emailed them about it two times. I know what is going on because I can change my aspect ratio on my TV to fix it. They are taking a 16x9 video feed and rebroadcasting it in 4x3 not 16x9. The local TV commercials that they added look OK without changing the setting on my TV.
Perhaps they want the 4:3 look to duplicate how the programs originally aired? It gives it more of a nostalgic feel. I don't know that, it's Just a theory.

I've watched Decades and it seems to have less repitition than other "classic" networks. That's good.
post #1450 of 1458 Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Perhaps they want the 4:3 look to duplicate how the programs originally aired? It gives it more of a nostalgic feel. I don't know that, it's Just a theory.

I've watched Decades and it seems to have less repitition than other "classic" networks. That's good.
All of the other channels that is 4x3 broadcast like MeTV, ThisTV and other GritTV from Omaha looks OK. It is only on these two channels that have people that look like pencils unless I change the aspect ratio.

On my 40 inch LED TV on 4x3 programing like on MeTV, ThisTV, and other GritTV from Omaha, there is like a about 4.5 inch gap on both sides and the programing looks OK. So the aspect ratio looks OK. While on the 14.2 and 44.3, there is about 7.25 inch gap on both sides on the 4x3 TV shows. So it is not 4x3.

I am trying to figure out what aspect ratio it is. It is like about 28 inches diagonal, height is OK at about 19.5 inches, and width is about 21 inches. While the other 4x3 channels that look OK is at 32.5 inches diagonal, height is about 19.5 inches, and width is about 26.5 inches. I used a tape measure to get these numbers from my TV.
post #1451 of 1458 Old 08-15-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
All of the other channels that is 4x3 broadcast like MeTV, ThisTV and other GritTV from Omaha looks OK. It is only on these two channels that have people that look like pencils unless I change the aspect ratio.
I seldom receive Omaha television as I live in Sioux Falls. 14.2 is the only channel broadcasting 4:3 I receive. It's a 4:3 aspect ratio so I have vertical black bars on each side, but things look fine.
post #1452 of 1458 Old 08-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I seldom receive Omaha television as I live in Sioux Falls. 14.2 is the only channel broadcasting 4:3 I receive. It's a 4:3 aspect ratio so I have vertical black bars on each side, but things look fine.
Weird because I have to change my aspect ratio all the time for 14.2 and 44.3. They are the only two channels that is messed up. I have tried rescanning, but it is still messed up.

By the way, I live half way between Omaha and Sioux City. So I get both.
post #1453 of 1458 Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Exclamation

Quote:

On my 40 inch LED TV on 4x3 programing like on MeTV, ThisTV, and other GritTV from Omaha, there is like a about 4.5 inch gap on both sides and the programing looks OK. So the aspect ratio looks OK. While on the 14.2 and 44.3, there is about 7.25 inch gap on both sides on the 4x3 TV shows. So it is not 4x3.

I am trying to figure out what aspect ratio it is. It is like about 28 inches diagonal, height is OK at about 19.5 inches, and width is about 21 inches. While the other 4x3 channels that look OK is at 32.5 inches diagonal, height is about 19.5 inches, and width is about 26.5 inches. I used a tape measure to get these numbers from my TV.

What's happening here is the original programming is 4:3 and is encoded into a 16:9 frame, black pillar bars on either side. Then the local station is re-encoding the program AGAIN into the 4:3 section of another 16:9 frame which adds a second set of pillar-bars to each side. Effectively giving you double pillar bars and the wrong aspect ratio by squeezing it and REALLY hurting the resolution when expanded to an HD screen....Ouch. Likely that AFD is turned on and set incorrectly for the type of programming they are receiving off the dish. Their ads look fine because they're stretched to fill a 16:9 frame and then squeezed to fill a 4:3 section of the second 16:9 frame.

This a local station issue and their encoder's are incorrectly set. Good luck finding an engineer that knows what you're talking about when you mention this to them.

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #1454 of 1458 Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 View Post
What's happening here is the original programming is 4:3 and is encoded into a 16:9 frame, black pillar bars on either side. Then the local station is re-encoding the program AGAIN into the 4:3 section of another 16:9 frame which adds a second set of pillar-bars to each side. Effectively giving you double pillar bars and the wrong aspect ratio by squeezing it and REALLY hurting the resolution when expanded to an HD screen....Ouch. Likely that AFD is turned on and set incorrectly for the type of programming they are receiving off the dish. Their ads look fine because they're stretched to fill a 16:9 frame and then squeezed to fill a 4:3 section of the second 16:9 frame.

This a local station issue and their encoder's are incorrectly set. Good luck finding an engineer that knows what you're talking about when you mention this to them.
Yea, that is what I thought it was. It is just really hard to word it right when you are emailing people about. Plus I have never got a full email from the station back on the issue. The only email that I got was asking from them is what was the issue.
post #1455 of 1458 Old 08-17-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's what I was talking about graphically speaking. The blue bars are kept blue just to identify them, but they'd be encoded as black as well. Note the local ads use the blue bars .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-3_16-9_squeezed.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	892090  

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #1456 of 1458 Old 08-17-2015, 05:41 PM

Yep, that is exactly what I am seeing here. Just wish they would fix it, but it seems like they don't know what I am talking about.
post #1457 of 1458 Old 08-18-2015, 05:52 AM

It's too bad some are having problems with 14.2's picture. I just tuned it in to find they're broadcasting "The Way We Were" in wide-screen mode. Not full wide screen as horizontal black bars appear at the top and bottom of the screen. But the images look fine proportionally.

Last weekend I scanned in 44.3, which is rare. Their 4:3 format looks identical to that on 14.2 on my set. It must be frustrating to all involved when there's a difference by television.
post #1458 of 1458 Old Today, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 View Post
Here's what I was talking about graphically speaking. The blue bars are kept blue just to identify them, but they'd be encoded as black as well. Note the local ads use the blue bars .
You are right about the engineer don't understanding it. My dad got sick and tried of the aspect ratio issue. He went to the station's studio to talk to them in person. An engineer said they have no control over aspect ratio. It is how they receive it. Even the engineer person says you have to change your TV's aspect ratio. My dad even told him that Grit from Omaha which is a sister station to them does not have this issue. So not sure how to tell them how to fix this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception