Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1517 Old 07-20-2016, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KMEG and captioning on 14.[2-3]?

KMEG isn't including captioning on channels 14.[2-3]. They're aware of the situation and defend it.

Aren't all DTV channels required to provide captioning with their signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1517 Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post
KMEG isn't including captioning on channels 14.[2-3]. They're aware of the situation and defend it.

Aren't all DTV channels required to provide captioning with their signal?
The network is required to provide them, and the station is required to pass them through. If the network isn't providing them, then I don't know how the liability falls, but I'm finding it hard to believe the network would be failing to provide captions.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1503 of 1517 Old 07-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The network is required to provide them, and the station is required to pass them through. If the network isn't providing them, then I don't know how the liability falls, but I'm finding it hard to believe the network would be failing to provide captions.

- Trip
I thought so. It seems even more unlikely as we're talking networkS. 14.2 is Decades while 14.3 is Comet. But perhaps they're different networks of the same group.

I mailed the station with a "heads-up" and received a reply they provide no captioning as the programs were produced prior to the days of closed captioning. Huh?

KMEG addresses the issue with technical (KMEG) and legal (Sinclair) contacts at http://siouxlandnews.com/station/contact. Should I contact the FCC?
post #1504 of 1517 Old 07-20-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Their claim that because the program didn't originally have captions - that it's rebroadcast does not is completely BS.

I'm watching the Twilight Zone on Decades right now -- a show that, of course, definitely did not have captions when aired - but Decades is passing the captioning along.
post #1505 of 1517 Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Even if it were valid, you could check against the newer programming on those channels (newer Outer Limits on Comet or Through the Decades on Decades, for example) and see if captions are passed there. If so, that's really weird.

When I worked at Luken, there was a whole department of people who captioned old programs before air because the captions were required, regardless of age.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1506 of 1517 Old 07-21-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I'm watching the Twilight Zone on Decades right now -- a show that, of course, definitely did not have captions when aired - but Decades is passing the captioning along.
How do you know Decades is including captioning. If that's the case, KMEG chooses to not air captioning for "The Twilight Zone" but does for "Decades." Actually, it's probably Sinclair that makes that decision.
post #1507 of 1517 Old 07-21-2016, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looking at the various rules for captioning - I wonder if they do have to provide them. Some highlights:

From the FCC site:

(11) Captioning expense in excess of 2% of gross revenues. No video programming provider shall be required to expend any money to caption any video programming if such expenditure would exceed 2% of the gross revenues received from that channel during the previous calendar year.

(12) Channels producing revenues of under $3,000,000. No video programming provider shall be required to expend any money to caption any channel of video programming producing annual gross revenues of less than $3,000,000 during the previous calendar year other than the obligation to pass through video programming already captioned when received pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section.
Depending on the financial situation at the station - they may caption only what they have to for the bare minimum (and probably only on the main channel).
post #1508 of 1517 Old 07-22-2016, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Read the last part of (12). If the video already has captions, it must be passed through, regardless.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1509 of 1517 Old 07-22-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Read the last part of (12). If the video already has captions, it must be passed through, regardless.

- Trip
I'm still confused. Do we know whether "Decades" and "Comet" provide captioning to KMEG? Do Decades and Comet have common ownership? Does Sinclair have ownership of either?

Decades KMEG does broadcast captioning for "Through The Decades." However, that would synch with KMEG's argument as "Through The Decades" is a current production. I don't believe any Comet program airs captioning on KMEG.

IF Decades and Comet provide captioning, I don't understand KMEG's argument.
post #1510 of 1517 Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I'm still confused. Do we know whether "Decades" and "Comet" provide captioning to KMEG? Do Decades and Comet have common ownership? Does Sinclair have ownership of either?
Sinclair owns Comet (MGM operates it)
Decades is a joint effort between Weigel (same folks that own MeTV, Movies! and H&I) and CBS

Now I just turned on Decades here in Minneapolis on WCCo-DT2 and Dick Cavett show had closed captions on it. I know earlier today Mod Squad did too.
post #1511 of 1517 Old 07-23-2016, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I see closed captions for most shows on 14-2, but nothing on 14-3.
post #1512 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Sinclair owns Comet (MGM operates it)
Decades is a joint effort between Weigel (same folks that own MeTV, Movies! and H&I) and CBS

Now I just turned on Decades here in Minneapolis on WCCo-DT2 and Dick Cavett show had closed captions on it. I know earlier today Mod Squad did too.
That seems to indicate the problem is Sinclair. I assume the FCC is aware of this.

Tenspeed also reported he sees captioning on 14.2. I don't know why I thought it was lacking but for "Through the Decades" but I was wrong. I checked several programs this weekend and saw captioning. So the problem with KMEG is only with 14.3.
post #1513 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That seems to indicate the problem is Sinclair. I assume the FCC is aware of this.

Tenspeed also reported he sees captioning on 14.2. I don't know why I thought it was lacking but for "Through the Decades" but I was wrong. I checked several programs this weekend and saw captioning. So the problem with KMEG is only with 14.3.
You might want to check with the local station.
This morning I turned on the CC on my local Comet affiliate (WUCW-DT2) which is also a Sinclair station and there was CC on shows.
post #1514 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You might want to check with the local station.
This morning I turned on the CC on my local Comet affiliate (WUCW-DT2) which is also a Sinclair station and there was CC on shows.
I'm running out of theories here. Your report indicates the problem is KMEG, not Sinclair. That gets me back to my original post where KMEG replied they don't air captions on 14.3 as those programs were produced prior to captioning.

I just don't understand why KMEG doesn't air captioning if it's provided by Comet.
post #1515 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Now right now I turned on Comet TV and there is a movie on 'spellbinder' and there is no closed captioning

This is on WUCW-DT2
post #1516 of 1517 Old Today, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Now right now I turned on Comet TV and there is a movie on 'spellbinder' and there is no closed captioning

This is on WUCW-DT2
Is WUCW a Sinclair-owned station?
post #1517 of 1517 Old Today, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is WUCW a Sinclair-owned station?
I thought I mentioned it was?
Edit: yup I did previously

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page