Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2016, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KMEG and captioning on 14.[2-3]?

KMEG isn't including captioning on channels 14.[2-3]. They're aware of the situation and defend it.

Aren't all DTV channels required to provide captioning with their signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post
KMEG isn't including captioning on channels 14.[2-3]. They're aware of the situation and defend it.

Aren't all DTV channels required to provide captioning with their signal?
The network is required to provide them, and the station is required to pass them through. If the network isn't providing them, then I don't know how the liability falls, but I'm finding it hard to believe the network would be failing to provide captions.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 07-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The network is required to provide them, and the station is required to pass them through. If the network isn't providing them, then I don't know how the liability falls, but I'm finding it hard to believe the network would be failing to provide captions.

- Trip
I thought so. It seems even more unlikely as we're talking networkS. 14.2 is Decades while 14.3 is Comet. But perhaps they're different networks of the same group.

I mailed the station with a "heads-up" and received a reply they provide no captioning as the programs were produced prior to the days of closed captioning. Huh?

KMEG addresses the issue with technical (KMEG) and legal (Sinclair) contacts at http://siouxlandnews.com/station/contact. Should I contact the FCC?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Their claim that because the program didn't originally have captions - that it's rebroadcast does not is completely BS.

I'm watching the Twilight Zone on Decades right now -- a show that, of course, definitely did not have captions when aired - but Decades is passing the captioning along.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Even if it were valid, you could check against the newer programming on those channels (newer Outer Limits on Comet or Through the Decades on Decades, for example) and see if captions are passed there. If so, that's really weird.

When I worked at Luken, there was a whole department of people who captioned old programs before air because the captions were required, regardless of age.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 07-21-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I'm watching the Twilight Zone on Decades right now -- a show that, of course, definitely did not have captions when aired - but Decades is passing the captioning along.
How do you know Decades is including captioning. If that's the case, KMEG chooses to not air captioning for "The Twilight Zone" but does for "Decades." Actually, it's probably Sinclair that makes that decision.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:08 PM

Looking at the various rules for captioning - I wonder if they do have to provide them. Some highlights:

From the FCC site:

(11) Captioning expense in excess of 2% of gross revenues. No video programming provider shall be required to expend any money to caption any video programming if such expenditure would exceed 2% of the gross revenues received from that channel during the previous calendar year.

(12) Channels producing revenues of under $3,000,000. No video programming provider shall be required to expend any money to caption any channel of video programming producing annual gross revenues of less than $3,000,000 during the previous calendar year other than the obligation to pass through video programming already captioned when received pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section.
Depending on the financial situation at the station - they may caption only what they have to for the bare minimum (and probably only on the main channel).
Old 07-22-2016, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Read the last part of (12). If the video already has captions, it must be passed through, regardless.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 07-22-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Read the last part of (12). If the video already has captions, it must be passed through, regardless.

- Trip
I'm still confused. Do we know whether "Decades" and "Comet" provide captioning to KMEG? Do Decades and Comet have common ownership? Does Sinclair have ownership of either?

Decades KMEG does broadcast captioning for "Through The Decades." However, that would synch with KMEG's argument as "Through The Decades" is a current production. I don't believe any Comet program airs captioning on KMEG.

IF Decades and Comet provide captioning, I don't understand KMEG's argument.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I'm still confused. Do we know whether "Decades" and "Comet" provide captioning to KMEG? Do Decades and Comet have common ownership? Does Sinclair have ownership of either?
Sinclair owns Comet (MGM operates it)
Decades is a joint effort between Weigel (same folks that own MeTV, Movies! and H&I) and CBS

Now I just turned on Decades here in Minneapolis on WCCo-DT2 and Dick Cavett show had closed captions on it. I know earlier today Mod Squad did too.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I see closed captions for most shows on 14-2, but nothing on 14-3.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Sinclair owns Comet (MGM operates it)
Decades is a joint effort between Weigel (same folks that own MeTV, Movies! and H&I) and CBS

Now I just turned on Decades here in Minneapolis on WCCo-DT2 and Dick Cavett show had closed captions on it. I know earlier today Mod Squad did too.
That seems to indicate the problem is Sinclair. I assume the FCC is aware of this.

Tenspeed also reported he sees captioning on 14.2. I don't know why I thought it was lacking but for "Through the Decades" but I was wrong. I checked several programs this weekend and saw captioning. So the problem with KMEG is only with 14.3.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That seems to indicate the problem is Sinclair. I assume the FCC is aware of this.

Tenspeed also reported he sees captioning on 14.2. I don't know why I thought it was lacking but for "Through the Decades" but I was wrong. I checked several programs this weekend and saw captioning. So the problem with KMEG is only with 14.3.
You might want to check with the local station.
This morning I turned on the CC on my local Comet affiliate (WUCW-DT2) which is also a Sinclair station and there was CC on shows.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You might want to check with the local station.
This morning I turned on the CC on my local Comet affiliate (WUCW-DT2) which is also a Sinclair station and there was CC on shows.
I'm running out of theories here. Your report indicates the problem is KMEG, not Sinclair. That gets me back to my original post where KMEG replied they don't air captions on 14.3 as those programs were produced prior to captioning.

I just don't understand why KMEG doesn't air captioning if it's provided by Comet.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Now right now I turned on Comet TV and there is a movie on 'spellbinder' and there is no closed captioning

This is on WUCW-DT2
Old 07-26-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Now right now I turned on Comet TV and there is a movie on 'spellbinder' and there is no closed captioning

This is on WUCW-DT2
Is WUCW a Sinclair-owned station?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is WUCW a Sinclair-owned station?
I thought I mentioned it was?
Edit: yup I did previously

Old 08-10-2016, 03:59 PM

KCPO Back Again?

Is anyone receiving KCPO in Sioux Falls? Their recent web site update (http://kcpo.tv) implies that they are broadcasting again, but I don't receive anything.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Is anyone receiving KCPO in Sioux Falls? Their recent web site update (http://kcpo.tv) implies that they are broadcasting again, but I don't receive anything.
No, and I just scanned. I've not received KCPO for most of 2016. The only analog channel I receive is 33 and that's very seldom.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:02 PM

KCPO should be broadcasting two digital channels in Sioux Falls: KCPO on 26.1 and Retro TV on 26.3. I have never seen digital channels from them. KCPO's antenna is on the water tower near Sanford Hospital (see map). I went there with my USB tuner, but did not find anything on channel 26.

I emailed KCPO a couple of weeks ago and asked if they were currently broadcasting in Sioux Falls. They replied, “Yes,” but did not give any more details.

I also contacted Retro TV (Luken) and asked if they knew anything about this. The person who replied was very helpful, but he said that he was not aware of any problems.

So, if anyone in Sioux Falls would care to reply, please let me know if you can or cannot receive 26.1 and 26.3.

Also, if you cannot receive Retro TV on 26.3, I suggest that you send a note to Retro TV and let them know. There is a form on the Contact Us page.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
So, if anyone in Sioux Falls would care to reply, please let me know if you can or cannot receive 26.1 and 26.3.
I live on the east side of Sioux Falls and still don't receive 26.[1-2]. I just scanned and receive:

2.[1-3]
4.[1-3]
7.[1-2]
11.[1-3]
13.[1-3]
14.[1-3]
20.[1-4]
23.[1-3]
46.[1-2]

So, as I receive channels from 90 miles away and you also don't receive KCPO, I doubt they're being "accurate." I'll submit the form.

I find it interesting KDLT occassionally broadcasts on 33.1. It's the only analog channel I receive.

On another front ... Are you a cyclist Tenspeed?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:42 PM

In the Argus Leader, 12 July 2015, the station owner said that they were starting to broadcast Retro TV. So, apparently they have been broadcasting digital channels for over a year.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...lved/29995207/
Quote:
[Retro TV] came back for some antenna users this year when Sioux Falls station KCPO struck a deal to broadcast it on subchannel 26.3.
KCPO owner Chuck Poppen says tower improvements are coming, "so pretty soon we'll be able to broadcast it within a 20-mile radius of Sioux Falls.”
Their own web site also mentions "KCPO and KCPO Retro."

I guess that their tower improvements did not happen, and they are still broadcasting with very low power. They also may have relocated their antenna, because I cannot receive anything 500 feet away from the location given by the FCC. I have tried from several places in Sioux Falls, and I cannot find their signal anywhere.

Quote:
I find it interesting KDLT occassionally broadcasts on 33.1. It's the only analog channel I receive.
That is probably a translator in Springfield, SD: K33GX.

Quote:
On another front ... Are you a cyclist Tenspeed?
Yes, I am frequently riding around town and on the trails.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
In the Argus Leader, 12 July 2015, the station owner said that they were starting to broadcast Retro TV. So, apparently they have been broadcasting digital channels for over a year.
If I remember correctly, the Argus article was correct at the time as an FCC mandate required stations to convert to DTV later in 2015. However, I believe that mandate was suspended so they never converted.

As to what they're doing or how they operate now ... Their communication leaves something to be desired.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:29 AM

They may be cable-only like their satellite station KCPM. Although with WDAY/Z adding myNetworkTV - I'm not sure what that means for the future of KCPM
Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 AM

"Mystery Science Theater" on Comet TV

I read this morning Comet TV will air "Mystery Science Theater" beginning 09/04/16.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
They may be cable-only like their satellite station KCPM.
Midco cable dropped KCPO last year. KCPO has been trying to get Midco to add them again and also pay a retransmission fee. See the first item on their web site: http://kcpo.tv/.

Isn't KCPM over the air? I thought they were on 27.1 and 27.3.

Last edited by tenspeed; 08-24-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Isn't KCPM over the air? I thought they were on 27.1 and 27.3.
no. In the Fargo topic it has been mentioned folks have tried near the tower to get KCPM and nothing
Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 AM

How does the contract relationship work between Luken and their affiliates (like KCPO/KCPM)? Does Luken pay the affiliate to broadcast their programming and advertising?
Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM

KELO 11.[1-3] EPG program descriptions (No information available on the program.).

For several weeks KELO 11.[1-3] has broadcast a sub-standard EPG. Time and program title display but program description is either delayed or non-existent.

To explain, if I change to a KELO channel program descriptions are unavailable for perhaps 30 seconds. Until then "No information available on the program." displays.

If I check their EPG without changing to a KELO channel program descriptions never display. "No information available on the program." persists.

Can others duplicate this? Perhaps three weeks ago their EPG went dead. I wrote after a day or so and it quickly returned. I then wrote about the program descriptions and received a reply that KELO isn't responsible as descriptions are provided by an outside company. I replied they do broadcast descriptions but have a technical problem but received no response.

The problem is unique to KELO as all other channels display immediate program descriptions regardless of being tuned to their channel.
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Quote:
For several weeks KELO 11.[1-3] has broadcast a sub-standard EPG. Time and program title display but program description is either delayed or non-existent.

To explain, if I change to a KELO channel program descriptions are unavailable for perhaps 30 seconds. Until then "No information available on the program." displays.

If I check their EPG without changing to a KELO channel program descriptions never display. "No information available on the program." persists.

Can others duplicate this? Perhaps three weeks ago their EPG went dead. I wrote after a day or so and it quickly returned. I then wrote about the program descriptions and received a reply that KELO isn't responsible as descriptions are provided by an outside company. I replied they do broadcast descriptions but have a technical problem but received no response.

The problem is unique to KELO as all other channels display immediate program descriptions regardless of being tuned to their channel.
I don't get any program descriptions for 11.1-3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement