Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1424 Old 06-17-2004, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I'm watching Soundstage with fleetwood Mac on KUSD-DT (pbs). it's in HD and DD5.1. It looks and sounds AWESOME.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1424 Old 07-04-2004, 08:13 AM

test... added my DVD collection link
post #183 of 1424 Old 07-07-2004, 12:38 PM

I just got an email from KTTW fox in Sioux Falls and they said they had no plans for broadcasting HDTV. They did say that it was possible (emphasized) that they would have HD on cable later this year.

*edit *

KDLT just sent me a reply too...

"Dear Viewer,
We are currently up converting our analog signal to standard digital television (SDTV) 480p broadcast on channel 46-1 for the immediate surrounding area of Sioux Falls. We currently have no plans high definition television (HDTV) 1080i broadcast for the Sioux Falls area.

John Lane
Studio Supervisor"
post #184 of 1424 Old 07-11-2004, 06:49 AM

I read in the Programming forum that the NASCAR races would be broadcast on NBC in 480P widescreen. Watched the BUSCH race yesterday and on KTIV it was 4:3. Maybe someone at the station forgot to throw the switch.

Dave, are you listening?

Mark
post #185 of 1424 Old 07-11-2004, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The NASCAR race is 4:3 in Waterloo-Cedar Rapids as well. An Eastern Iowa poster said he called master control for that affiliate and the MCO told him that she wasn't getting it in widescreen from NBC New York.

This affiliate, KWWL, usually does a good job of running whatever HD NBC sends.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #186 of 1424 Old 07-12-2004, 05:01 AM

NASCAR race on Sunday was widescreen! Not HD, but still looked really really good. I especially liked the fact that the in-car shots were not stretched. Thanks Dave & NBC.

Mark
post #187 of 1424 Old 07-15-2004, 05:24 PM

Hello,
I just received my new toys over the weekend. the MIT MDR-200 STB with firewire and a Mits HD1100u D-VHS. so now I can record HDTV and enjoy it later in HD. The MDR-200 is a awesome STB. It's way better than my Hughes E86.
KSFY would only come in at night and now its all the time. I couldn't get KPTH with the Hughes but it comes in fine now.
Thank you Dave at KTIV for changing your PSIP time for my STB. this makes recording alot easier. and thank you at KELO for changing your PSIP time for me too.

Craig
post #188 of 1424 Old 07-16-2004, 07:59 AM

Craig,
Congrats on your new stuff. Sounds cool. I'd like to get a new D* HDPVR down the road.

Mark
post #189 of 1424 Old 07-21-2004, 11:49 AM

Question for those with the Channel Master antennas and preamps. Is there a store in Sioux City or Sioux Falls that carries Channel Master equipment or did you have to purchase via the internet? I can still only get KELO & KSFY as far as digital channels go....and I got the itch for more HD. Sounds like alot of folks have good luck with Channel Master.

Thanks in advance.
post #190 of 1424 Old 07-21-2004, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Husker,
I bought all of my ChannelMaster stuff at Wintronics in Sioux City, Iowa.

Bill
post #191 of 1424 Old 07-23-2004, 06:48 AM

I just wanted to say hello and how glad I was to find this thread.

My husband and I live in Egan, SD and recently made the change to HD. We're about 35 miles north of Sioux Falls. Wow, how addictive that is. We can currently receive KELO and KSFY in HD and the HD package through our satellite dish. In fact last night I had him on the roof installing a larger antenna to try and lock in a better signal.

I'm really disappointed that KDLT has no plans to broadcast HD. I received an email from them letting me know that their digital signal will not reach us. What a bummer, I was really hoping to see NBC in HD.

Does anybody know if there is a digital PBS signal that would reach us?

Thanks.

Tanya
post #192 of 1424 Old 07-23-2004, 02:04 PM

Husker,

I bought some stuff from Michael at Pflanz Electronics in Sioux City and some from starkelectronics.com.

Tanya,

Go to titantv.com to look for digital stations in your area. I think you can put in your zip code and it will show you everything. There is also a handy antenna selector also.

Mark
post #193 of 1424 Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 AM

After installing an amp and a rotor we can now get KCSD-DT which is PBS out of Sioux Falls.

Also I received an email from KDLT letting me know that we will not be able to receive their digital signal. Which, what the heck they're not going to broadcast HD anyway. So add another one to the list in their search for NBC in HD.

Tanya
post #194 of 1424 Old 07-26-2004, 07:52 PM

By the thread in HDTV programming on FOX stations ready for HDTV and 5.1 sound. They have just added Des Moines, Davenport, Sioux Falls, and Omaha. I sure hope KPTH is coming real soon.

Craig
post #195 of 1424 Old 07-29-2004, 01:19 PM

Hi, all...

a couple of items...

1) Sorry about the NASCAR race from a couple weeks ago. We were advised very late by NBC that it would be widescreen (but not HD) and I didn't get it changed on our logs for the Saturday race. The Sunday race that weekend WAS in 16:9.

2) I sent an email to my list of DTV enthusiasts, but in case some of you aren't on my list, I'm trying to find out if anyone is having signal reception trouble from KTIV-DT. We put up a new antenna about a month ago, and I've received some reports that it may have affected reception. Please let me know by sending email to me at dmadsen@ktiv.com. I don't check this forum as often as I should, and I don't want to miss anybody!

3) The Olympics from Athens, Greece, will be carried on NBC and KTIV Aug. 13-29. NBC will be feeding a separate signal of Olympic coverage in HD. Our plans are to carry the regular feed of Olympic coverage on KTIV-DT 41.1, which will be our analog signal upconverted to digital, but NOT in HD. Then on 41.2 will be the separate HD feed of Olympics. This HD coverage will not be the same as you see on the standard channel. It will have separate announcers, etc. and the HD feed will be on a delayed basis, probably about 24 hours delayed. The HD feed will be in an 8-hour loop, meaning it will repeat itself each day every 8 hours.
post #196 of 1424 Old 07-30-2004, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I installed a new HD Dtivo the other day and thought I would comment on my reception of KELO-DT and KABY-DT.

I have a Winegard GS2000A antenna installed, probably not the antenna I should be using, but it worked very well for analog signal. I can receive the KELO digital signal pretty good, mid 80's signal strength in the morning, high 60's to low 70's in the evening, a better suited antenna would probably do better and be more consistant, I'm going to try and tweak the aiming of my current antenna this weekend to see if I can get better signal strength. An email from KELO informed me that they aren't at full power and probably won't be for some time.

Signal from KABY is lucky to be in the teen's, usually in the single digits. I emailed KSFY to find out if the digital signal is even being broadcast and if it is, at what power. I'm pretty bummed out with this one, Monday Night Football isn't that far away and I was really hoping to receive their digital signal.
post #197 of 1424 Old 07-31-2004, 06:56 AM

Hello in Watertown.

I can confirm for you that KSFY-DT is up and running. We receive a strong signal from them, however we're just 35 miles north of Sioux Falls. We're also receiving KCSD-DT (PBS) out of Sioux Falls, but it only seems to come in during the evening from 7-11.

I'm curious, what station do you receive NBC on and are they broadcasting in digital yet?

Tanya
post #198 of 1424 Old 07-31-2004, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tani
Hello in Watertown.

I can confirm for you that KSFY-DT is up and running. We receive a strong signal from them, however we're just 35 miles north of Sioux Falls. We're also receiving KCSD-DT (PBS) out of Sioux Falls, but it only seems to come in during the evening from 7-11.

I'm curious, what station do you receive NBC on and are they broadcasting in digital yet?

Hello,

The Sioux Falls signal is to far away for me to get, I'm trying to get the signal from the tower that's west of me about 45 miles. How well do you receive the SF signal? What kind of antenna are you using?

Both the NBC and the FOX stations are re-tranmissions out of Watertown on UHF channels 42 and 32 respectively. I emailed KDLT a few months back and they said there aren't any plans to do digital in Watertown at this time, and from what I understand all they do in SF is up convert their analog to digital, no HD at all.
post #199 of 1424 Old 07-31-2004, 09:23 AM

You're right about the SF KDLT-DT digital signal. It's on 46-1 and is SD only. I e-mailed them a while back about the Olympics in HD. They replied that they had no current plans to go HD - Olympics or otherwise.

What channel (or frequency) is the SF PBS HD (KCSD-DT) station on? I haven't picked that one up yet, but I haven't scanned in a while either. It doesn't show up at my location on antennaweb.org. I am about 30 miles E-SE of SF, so maybe I can pick it up too?
post #200 of 1424 Old 08-01-2004, 09:13 AM

We get the Sioux Falls PBS on channel 23-1. Our receiver picks up their sound as dolby digital, but haven't had any 5.1 yet. The picture is really good though.
Our antenna is a RS model with 160" boom. We didn't get the PBS channel until we added an amp and rotor.

Tanya
post #201 of 1424 Old 08-01-2004, 02:27 PM

cdieren,

The pbs station that I am receiving scans in at 2-1 and 2-2. It is about a 45% signal strength. It has to be the SD station but cannot guarantee it at this time.
post #202 of 1424 Old 08-01-2004, 02:35 PM

Ben,

It could be the PBS station out of Vermillion, SD. It is on Digital channel 34 remapped to 2-1 and 2-2. on 2-1 they run the PBS-HD programming and
2-2 it the same as there analog channel

Craig
post #203 of 1424 Old 08-02-2004, 11:43 AM

Hello all.

TitanTV is showing KSIN-DT (PBS - 28 digital) as 'under review' for digital broadcast status. Can anyone lock their signal yet?

Mark
post #204 of 1424 Old 08-03-2004, 04:57 AM

I scanned for digital 28 last night and got a super-strong signal so KSIN-DT must be testing at least (the picture was breaking up even though the signal strength was 95%). For some reason my D* receiver re-mapped the channel to 9-1, not 27-1 like it should have. Anyone else get them?

Mark
post #205 of 1424 Old 08-04-2004, 05:46 PM

KWSD-DT (WB - Sioux Falls), is showing on my Titantv that it will be available on Sept. 6th. Does anybody know the status on this? Are they currently testing?

Tanya
post #206 of 1424 Old 08-05-2004, 10:59 AM

Is anyone in NE South Dakota able to pickup KABY-DT OTA? I live in Watertown, I have an HD Ditectv Tivo which has OTA HD tuners, I have a Channel Master antenna and preamp installed. I pickup KDLO-DT great, high 80's to low 90's on the signal meter, I get zero signal from KABY-DT. I talked to the engineer at KSFY and he's looking into it, haven't heard back from him. I did some research on antennaweb.org and it seems like anyone east of their tower in the Crocker hills doesn't get it, north and south of the tower such as Clark and Aberdeen it shows they get it. I'd just like to hear from anyone that is receiving the KABY-DT signal and where you're at.

FYI...I get the analog KABY signal great so I think I have the antenna pointed in the right direction.

Thanks
post #207 of 1424 Old 08-05-2004, 03:57 PM

Hello,

I received this email today from IPTV.

=====================================================

Iowa Public Television Presents State’s Only High-Definition Live Local Broadcast
IPTV Kicks Off Local Digital Programming with Live Coverage of the Iowa State Fair Parade

(Johnston, Iowa) – Iowa Public Television, Iowa’s only statewide television network, will begin full-time digital broadcasting to homes in the Des Moines, Sioux City, and Cedar Rapids/Waterloo areas with live, high-definition coverage of the Iowa State Fair parade Wednesday, August 11 at 6:30 p.m. Iowa Public Television is the only network in the state to broadcast live, local digital television.
The network, already a leader in digital television broadcasting in the state, will showcase locally-produced programming on IPTV-Digital for the duration of the Fair, and will continue broadcasting digitally in these markets. IPTV-Digital will become available statewide in the coming months.
A digitized version of IPTV’s analog signal, as well as high-definition IPTV and PBS programming, will be available to viewers with the proper digital television equipment. IPTV-Digital can also be seen in many area retail stores, and in the Iowa Public Television booth in the Varied Industries Building at the Iowa State Fair.
“We are proud to provide Iowans with the state’s only high-definition live local broadcast,” said Daniel K. Miller, executive director and general manager for Iowa Public Television. “We see our role in the digital environment as unique. Iowa Public Television will use this technology to showcase Iowa as it’s never been seen on television before. Digital television provides IPTV with an important opportunity to expand our mission to educate, inform, enrich, and inspire Iowans with our programming and services.”
Beginning August 11 at 6:30 p.m., IPTV-Digital will be broadcast full-time to the converted transmitters in Des Moines, Sioux City, and Waterloo/Cedar Rapids.
For more information about IPTV’s digital programming, please contact Jennifer Glover Konfrst at 515-242-3146.

====================================================

Craig
post #208 of 1424 Old 08-10-2004, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I have been reading on the forum that DirecTV will be sending the HD FOX and NBC nationals to subscribers in markets where the local FOX or NBC is owned by the networks. One can also receive them if a waiver is granted. Well we all know KDLT and KTTW will never do that, and also have no intentions of broadcasting in HD. These are podunk yocals who have no concept of where television is going, and just think by satisfying the FCC requirements to broadcast in digital is all they need to do. I for one feel the FCC needs to quit making bedfellows with these local stations and start getting tougher. I feel a requirement should be either start broadcasting in HD, or be required to grant a waiver. This apparently will be the only way to get these 2 bottom dwellers to start moving. The management of these stations literally have no clue on how to serve the public.
post #209 of 1424 Old 08-11-2004, 02:35 PM

So, is KTTW being listed as a station that is HDTV ready a mistake?

Smallest DMAs FOX HDTV Ready

(162) Gainesville - Ocala, FL

(147) Lubbock, TX

(122) Macon, GA

(114) Augusta, GA

(113) Sioux Falls, SD

As far as the HD channels on DirecTV goes, what about us people in the middle of nowhere? If I read another thread about these "O & O" markets or cities getting the networks via DirecTV....I may go ballistic. Put up a damn antenna if you want the network HD feeds and quit taking up bandwidth for new HD channels for the "unlucky" people that don't live in a big city. **end of rant**
post #210 of 1424 Old 08-11-2004, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
If you live in the middle of nowhere, and are in the so called "white" area of reception, you can also get the network HD feeds. Now what defines the "white" area is still grey to me. KTTW broadcasts digital, not HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page