Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1416 Old 08-12-2004, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Wxman, maybe Tom Daschle can use some of his "clout", and get things set up so we can get satellite network feeds of those stations that aren't delivering HD. Yeah right....

I really don't see why, if I am willing to pay for distant HD feeds, that I cannot legally receive them. It just isn't right that if you are granted a franchise that you get a "license to make money", and are exempt from competition.

I'm even willing to try a "really big antenna" to receive NBC and FOX in HD, but there just isn't any way that I am going to receive them in Sioux Falls.

Do we have any options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1416 Old 08-17-2004, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Here is the latest response from station manager at KTTW (Fox) in Sioux Falls. I asked if they will be broadcasting in HDTV.

"We already broadcast digital and hope to be HD this fall."

I also wrote KDLT, asking for a waiver, and this is the response I got:

" You need to contact your satellite carrier and ask them to submit a request for a waiver on your behave it will then be submitted electronically to us and we will be more then happy to process your request."

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #213 of 1416 Old 08-19-2004, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wxman
I also wrote KDLT, asking for a waiver, and this is the response I got:

" You need to contact your satellite carrier and ask them to submit a request for a waiver on your behave it will then be submitted electronically to us and we will be more then happy to process your request."

I had D* request a waiver from KDLT for me, D* hasn't received a response back yet. I just want the wiaver in hopes of getting the NBC HD station when D* goes live with it.
post #214 of 1416 Old 08-19-2004, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

D* told me it usually takes 45 days for a wiaver to be processed.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #215 of 1416 Old 08-19-2004, 02:48 PM

I live in Sioux City on the north side, up on Cheyenne Blvd. I just purchased an antenna, in anticipation of purchasing a Sony HDTV next month (one with a HD tuner). The antenna is the CM-4228 I bought at Wintronic.

Before I climb on the roof to install it, I wonder just how accrurately I have to AIM it. I want to be able to get KTIV (of course) but really want to also get the Sioux Falls CBS and ABC stations. Do you think I will get KTIV ok if I face the antenna toward Sioux Falls? I don't want to get a rotor - had one in the 80's (before cable) and it was a pain, plus it's one more thing my wife would complain about! So I am wondering if there is a good compromise in aiming?

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #216 of 1416 Old 08-19-2004, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

rmullin
Here is my two cents worth. I am afraid you will have to bite the bullet and get a rotor. From my location just west of Dakota Dunes I need to turn the antenna 45 degrees to peak the signal on the Sioux Falls stations compared to KTIV. I find that the 4228 has a narrow window for the peak gain. If it is off a few degrees the signal drops off noticeably. There are side lobes that may have enough gain to pull in KTIV from your location if the antenna is directed at Sioux Falls because you are in a much higher and can probably almost see the KTIV tower from where you are. If that is the case you might get by with it. You will be giving up the IPTV and SDPB signals if you do not have a rotor but maybe that is acceptable for you. Good luck and you will love the HD programming. If it is going to work at all you will need to maximize the signal for the Sioux Falls stations and hope the KTIV signal is strong enough to come in on one of the side lobes. Keep us posted.

Bill
post #217 of 1416 Old 08-19-2004, 04:58 PM

I am surprised that the IPTV signal is that narrow - I had guessed that I might be able to get that one with an indoor antenna!

You're right - I can just about see the KTIV tower from here. Time will tell - hope to be set up within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the response.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #218 of 1416 Old 08-20-2004, 08:10 AM

Hello all.

I am awaiting delivery on my new HDTV, and am researching my viewing choices. I am located in Norfolk, so right now (at least according to antennaweb.org) I am limited to PBS for OTA offerings. My questions is for Dave Madsen, regarding the quote below:

Quote:

Originally posted by dmadsen
Yes, there are still plans for BOTH an increase in power and a move of our antenna higher on our tower...however, there is not a specific timetable in place.

What is your expected range once this move, and the increase in power, takes place? Specifically, of course I want to know if I will be able to receive it in Norfolk. If the answer is yes, then my next question is do you have any updates on the timetable for the move. If the answer is no, then don't tell me about the timetable, since it will only depress me.

Thanks for your help.
post #219 of 1416 Old 08-22-2004, 05:26 PM

I would love to know the same thing. I live north of Sioux City about 55 miles and have not had any luck. SF stations are a lot stronger and have picked those up as far south as LeMars. Hopefully they boost the power soon. Would have been nice to have some digital reception for the Olympics.
post #220 of 1416 Old 08-23-2004, 12:31 PM

In the Sioux City metro area we have CableOne for our franchised cable system. So far, their HD offerings include only HBO/SHO.

I have been told that in September they will add ESPN-HD, TNT-HD, and TMC-HD, and "may" offer HDNET and others some time in the future.

Of course, they still can't carry KTIV's HD signal - both sides seem to want $$ for carrying/offering that channel on CableOne. At least their lawyers are prospering during the negotiations.

post #221 of 1416 Old 08-25-2004, 07:49 AM

CableOne is now transmitting ESPN-HD on channel 452.

(HBO-HD 450, SHO-HD 451)

post #222 of 1416 Old 08-26-2004, 06:09 PM

Does anyone else have a problem with the KSFY volume? Mine is extremely low. I have to turn it up at least 25% more than the other HD channels to hear it. I am using a Samsung 360 as the tuner. I did not have that problem with my Samsung 151 that I was using earlier. I did not watch that much HD do the fact that I was using a projector, but now with the plasma I watch it all the time and have noticed. Maybe it is an equipment problem.
post #223 of 1416 Old 08-26-2004, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ben
I have noticed the same thing. KSFY DT volume is much lower on my set also.

Bill
post #224 of 1416 Old 08-26-2004, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Driving me nuts. I hope that they fix it before the new seasons start.
post #225 of 1416 Old 09-03-2004, 12:26 PM

Hi, all...Dave Madsen from KTIV here...sorry it's been awhile since I posted here. We've been busy with Olympics, etc.

I'll try to answer several of the questions I've seen in the past couple of postings...

First, about CableOne negotiations to carry HD in the Sioux City area. FYI, there are NO lawyers involved. It is strictly us here at KTIV and the corporate folks at CableOne in Phoenix having the discussions, plus the local manager of CableOne. We are still somewhat deadlocked in negotiations, and I can't really say much more than that.

Next, for the Norfolk question, and increasing power specifically...

We think the increased power and increased height should more or less duplicate our existing analog coverage area (not including translators). This is all guesswork at this point, until the upgrade actually happens. So, we HOPE the digital signal would make it to Norfolk. It would certainly take care of "Ben L C" who said he's 55 miles north of Sioux City.

The timetable is still not certain for this upgrade, although I'd be leaning toward next summer, 2005. This is a very expensive proposition, and we have to fit the expenses into our other capital expense needs, many of which are more pressing than this several hundred thousand dollar upgrade.

On another note, I hope some of you had a chance to see some of the Olympics in HD on KTIV-DT. It's too bad it was all tape delayed, but it sure looked great! NBC has already said that probably for the next Olympics, it will be realtime HD coverage, just like on the analog channel.

I'd like to take a minute to also introduce you to our new Chief Engineer, Dick Herr. Dick comes to KTIV from KMEG, where he had been for 25+ years. We're happy to have Dick at KTIV, and he's ready, willing and able to answer most of your DTV questions...certainly more than I can answer! Feel free to give Dick a call or send an email (rherr@ktiv.com) if you have any questions.

Enough from me for now. We really appreciate all the input we get from you "early adopters" out there. Keep it coming!
post #226 of 1416 Old 09-05-2004, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the update Dave, Much appreciated. Can't wait to get NBC in real HD.

Is anyone else in NW Iowa picking up the WB? Just did a rescan yesterday and came up with WB on 36-1. Titan Tv guide shows it on 51-1. So far it is like 11-2, nothing spectacular. Time will tell
post #227 of 1416 Old 09-05-2004, 02:08 PM

FYI,

For most folks in Northwest Iowa, the WB is only available as a cable channel, KXWB. KTIV in Sioux City is the "partner station" which does the promotion and advertising sales for this channel. In smaller markets like ours, there is not usually a "real" WB station, so the network developed this system for delivering channels via cable systems, but allowing the local "partner" station to sell the advertising time. So, if you watch KTIV-TV, you may see promotional announcements for programs on KXWB.

Just thought you'd be interested.
post #228 of 1416 Old 09-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

The WB on 36-1 is transmitting off the same tower near Rowena as the 46-1 KDLT signal. Just found it this morning on my DTv guide also.

Will be interesting to see if I can get KTIV when they go full power. Just east of SF, but have a clear view to the south and can get 4,9,14, and 44 now.

Am having trouble getting Fox Digital lately in SF. Hoping they are working on the signal to have High Def up for fall season and football.
post #229 of 1416 Old 09-08-2004, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday I received a denial to my waiver request for NBC HD through DirecTV from KDLT. What really bothers me is that I sent an email to KDLT, with my name and address which is in Sioux Falls asking for a waiver. Since they knew my address< why did they not tell me that they would deny it, instead of telling me to contact DirecTV and getting a waiver request through them? Seems like a lot of effort for nothing, when it would been very simple to be honest in their initial email response. They are a bunch of pinheads at that station. Time need to change in the FCC. We should have the freedom and right to watch whatever network or station we wish that is available. The laws protecting these locals are archaic. The government should not be controlling what stations or networks we are allowed to watch.

post #230 of 1416 Old 09-08-2004, 04:28 PM

I'd like to reply to some of what WXMAN said about waiver requests. I am NOT a representative of KDLT, but since I do handle the waiver requests for KTIV, I feel like I can shed a little light on the subject.

When I deny a waiver request, here's how I explain it. Imagine you own the franchise in your town for McDonald's. Your franchise agreement would protect you from someone else building another McDonald's across the street from you.

KTIV owns the "franchise" to be the NBC station in our market. We are protected from someone bringing another NBC station into our market. So, as long as you could receive KTIV using a standard rooftop antenna, the satellite company is prohibited from bringing another NBC station into the area.

The rules about bringing other HD stations into the area are not quite as clear, since not all stations are broadcasting HD yet. So, I guess I shouldn't comment on that.

If people have more questions about waivers, I can certainly try to answer them.
post #231 of 1416 Old 09-10-2004, 06:45 AM

I saw this thread discussion, and had to give my 2 cents. I do understand where stations come from with their argument in protecting their franchise rights. Where I have a problem, is when the local station is still in the dark ages. I do not live in the Sioux City area, but where I live, the ABC affiliate is still broadcasting in mono, with no stereo sound. They must convert all audio back into one audio track. Augh. They say they have no plans to offer the ABC HD signal anytime in the future. I would imagine with mono audio, it would be hard to process the HD signal. In my case, I am unable to get any other ABC feed, especially the HD signal, because my local affiliate has the franachise right in this market. That means I am stuck with a 1970s quality signal. If we could only get another ABC signal in here, maybe it would drive a liitle competition, and help get an ABC HD signal sooner. I can only dream of MNF in HDTV. I feel there needs to be more of a balance between franchise protection, and allowing competition to help advance technology to the consumer/customer.
post #232 of 1416 Old 09-10-2004, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I disagree with the franchise tag. There is no competition, thus I'm stuck with whatever the local station chooses to show or offer. Perhaps if I was allowed to watch the network feed in HD, it would create competition and perhaps the local station would become HDTV. Also, perhaps the network should revoke the franchise from the stations that do not broadcast HD. By not broadcasting HD, they are actually providing a sub standard broadcast from the national feed. Do you think a local McDonalds franchise could get away with not selling Big Macs? Big Macs are their number 1 seller, and I'm sure The corporate headquarters would threaten them with revocation of franchise. Same goes with TV. HDTV is a big selling point. Sports in HD, national shows in HD, etc. If the local station refuses to do that, I should be allowed to look elsewhere for my HD source, without some local yocal denying me that right. The franchise rule for television is outdated. It hinders the advance of new technology, as local stations can sit on their butts and do nothing. Look at the fight the locals put up when the FCC wanted to switch to digital. The switch was to have been done years ago, but the locals wielding their power, got that delayed, and are again trying to delay it.

post #233 of 1416 Old 09-10-2004, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Had to respond.

This isn't about competition. It's about binding contracts.

Like it or not, these binding affiliate contracts are the way these networks have chosen to distribute programming. Indeed, networks aren't as much a service to you as they are to the local stations, to help them fill the broadcast day.

Now if they want to start writing HD into their affiliation contracts, that would be great. But to use that McDonald's analogy, if the McDonald's company decided to just set up another McDonald's across the street from that substandard one, the parent company could wind up with a lawsuit on its hands.

It would be better for the parent company to put its expectation for Big Macs -- or HD -- into that contract. If that franchisee doesn't put out, take away their Golden Arches -- or their peacock, dot, eye, searchlight, or frog.

(By the way, my market = HD ABC, CBS, NBC, and an IPTV State Fair loop)

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #234 of 1416 Old 09-11-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

My argument is that I should be allowed me to watch whatever network I wish to watch on satellite. The locals need to stop controlling what I can watch. The binding contracts were not set by the nationals. It was the locals and cable who lobbied the FCC the make it a regulation. Remember when DTV first started? I got the network feeds for free. All of a sudden that changed because the locals and cable saw satellite as competition. The only way they could try and squash competition was to get the FCC as a bedfellow and write a new regulation. They did. So all I want is to open the market to free enterprise and competition, back to the way it was before this regulation was written.

post #235 of 1416 Old 09-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

First Sunday of NFL.

No HD Bears Lions
No HD Vikings Cowboys

They are in HD on DirecTV and I have Sunday Ticket.

I am sending Fox and DTV a request for waiver on HD Sunday Ticket only. If my local game(s) are not broadcast in HD, I'll watch Fox 17, but why should I not be left the option of watching an HD broadcast when my local can not fulfill that need.

I understand the protection issues as it relates to their advertising revenue sorce, but #1 during football I RARELY watch commercials as I go the next game that is not at commercial and #2 if they won't grant a waiver for HD Football only, I guess I'll just quit watching local FOX completely. I have already quit watching KDLT and KTTW maybe next.
post #236 of 1416 Old 09-12-2004, 11:32 AM

BVFan, Did you notice that you are not able to see the Standard Definition Bears or Raiders games on Sunday Ticket today? I am royally pissed off about this. I finally got ahold of someone from DirecTV who wasn't in India and was told that there is nothing I can do about it. I cannot cancel my Sunday Ticket either, as the season has begun. This is the last year I'll subscribe to Sunday Ticket, and I may dump DirecTV altogether. I never thought I would be mad about not being able to watch a game on the over compressed DirecTV channels, but CBS and FOX suck over cable here in Sioux Falls. It was SO convenient before, I could just surf up and down through the satellite football channels, but now I have to switch back to my TV tuner and hunt for whatever games I cannot receive over satellite.

I realize this is off topic, but I just want to rant....
post #237 of 1416 Old 09-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Drifter,

Yes I did notice all locals being blocked yesterday. They also blocked HD Raiders/Steelers. They teased us with the 1st half of the Cowboys-Vikes in High Def DTV. Then blacked it out at half time.

Following is my email and reply from Fox GM:
---------------------------------------
DirectTv will be carrying the local stations by the first of October is what I am told. You might want to check with them.

Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2004 12:13 PM
To: edh@kttw.com
Subject: KTTW HD

Wondering when or if KTTW will be broadcasting in true HD.

Today, I could be watching Lions / Bears and Vikings / Cowboys in HD on DirecTV, but blackout restrictions are in force.

If KTTTW does not plan to broadcast HD during this football season, I would like to know how I can get a waiver so I may get blacked out games in HD.

If the local games are not in HD on DTV, I would watch games off air, but HD sports are the reason most of us have spent the money on our systems. I presently am not planning to watch either local game as they are not in HD.

--------------
He obviously did not understand my question or tried to evade it.

I get both the Kelo and Fox OTA good, so having locals on DTV really will do me no good, besides you'lll have to pay $5-10/mo to have them and they will not be HD, they will be SD signals.
post #238 of 1416 Old 09-20-2004, 04:24 AM

Dave,

I've been away for a while, but found it interesting reading the waiver threads here on my return. Just so you know, I've requested a waiver from KTIV via DirecTv strictly due to your recent policy change regarding the aspect ratio of SD programs. As I've mentioned to you before, when you send out a stretched 1080i signal there is no way to 'squish' it back to the original aspect ratio. I don't want to watch short & fat so I'm attempting to get a waiver to get the network feeds which are not stretched SD. Using your McDonalds analogy, if you don't offer the Big Mac with 'special sauce' that provides me an incentive to find a McDonalds that does (or go to Burger King).

Mark
post #239 of 1416 Old 09-23-2004, 03:36 PM

Hello,

Just to let everyone know that KSIN-DT is running the PBSHD feed now.

Soundstage is on tonight at 9:00 on KSIN-DT

Craig
post #240 of 1416 Old 09-23-2004, 08:20 PM

I saw the KSIN-HD signal today at Pflanz Electronics while I was waiting to talk to Vance. The picture is simply stunning. KSIN was running something this afternoon about a river journey thru some western canyons. Extremely beautiful, lotsa depth, great detail. I felt like I was rafting the Colorado River with my family.

Thank-you to Iowa Public TV for the excellent HD signal. Too bad we can't get it yet on CableOne.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page